As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News... in a good way.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Huh. I'd have put my money on Hell being the name of the place.

Nope. The town does have a Fucking problem, though - people keep stealing the Fucking town signs.

Fucking hell!

No, that's in Norway.

Hell_norway_sign.jpg

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Nope. The town does have a Fucking problem, though - people keep stealing the Fucking town signs.
    Yeah, it's all the Fucking tourists that are taking them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Austrian village.
    Though the beer is neither brewed in Fucking (it's brewed in Waldhaus, Germany), or actually a Hell (it's a pilsner).

True enough, even though I knew this I had a brainfart.

Still, there's certainly a tour to be had in that part of the world:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXe2WTYngQ

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    And, returning to the Ovine Desk...

Sheep ship is ship shape to ship sheep after collision with Russian naval intelligence vessel.
    A Russian naval intelligence ship sank Thursday after colliding with a merchant freighter in foggy conditions on the Black Sea near Istanbul, the Turkish coast guard said. All 78 crew members on the Russian vessel were rescued.

The crew of the freighter Youzarsif H, a Togo-flagged ship traveling from Romania to Jordan with a cargo of 8,800 sheep, was unharmed, and the ship suffered slight damage to its bow, according to local media reports.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Glad they were all rescued, but I assume they'll all be looking for new jobs now.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Glad they were all rescued, but I assume they'll all be looking for new jobs now.

I'll be honest; I'm not shedding many great, big, salty tears for Russian naval intelligence. :P

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

We had a road in our town that had to be renamed. It was finger road and as you can imagine all the college kids wanted the sign for their dorms and they got stolen so much they just renamed the damn thing.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

We had a road in our town that had to be renamed. It was finger road and as you can imagine all the college kids wanted the sign for their dorms and they got stolen so much they just renamed the damn thing.

About 5 miles west of the truck stop in Williams, AZ, there is an exit for Devil Dog Road. I don't even want to think about how many times those signs must get stolen.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

There are several states where highway miles markers have 68.9 instead of 69 for the same reason. My city took the measured and reasonable action and welded all the interesting signs right to the post, so if you want one you've got to go out there with an angle grinder and draw a lot of attention to yourself. It's not 100%, but the only ones that seem to get stolen now are rural side roads, and some just never get replaced.

Hevach on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

About 5 miles west of the truck stop in Williams, AZ, there is an exit for Devil Dog Road. I don't even want to think about how many times those signs must get stolen.

So, when me and my wife were driving out to the city where we had our wedding on a planning trip last year, I noticed something odd - a milage marker for mile 405.99... The reason became pretty apparent - Montana has a single area code - 406 - and it's become a bit of a cultural marker. So the 406 milage marker was probably a ripe target for theft, so the DOT just replaced it with one that wasn't as attractive. I've heard of 419.99... markers for the same reason.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    The village of Ham is just outside Sandwich in Kent, previous as the signs were based on distance they all said

Ham
    Sandwich

But now they've reversed it due to constant theft.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Kansas stopped putting out new 316 mile markers at one point.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

God so loved the world that it is totally chill to steal this sign?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

It's also the area code for the Wichita area.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Well that feels less hypocritical so I'll just choose to believe that's it.

Edit: Also, how were area codes assigned? 316 is in Kansas? 315 is the middle of New York!

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

More like

wd8k3mgqr04m.jpg

• Options
    ^^
    I may or may not have had one in my dorm for that reason.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options

Edit: Also, how were area codes assigned? 316 is in Kansas? 315 is the middle of New York!

One explanation I've heard, probably apocryphal, is that the lower the numbers in your area code the more important your locality was circa 1965 or whenever they initially set them up. The reasoning being, the lower the numbers the quicker you could dial them on a rotary phone. So NYC got 212, LA got 213, etc etc.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Used to be "Speed Hump" signs out here that got stolen.
    Apparently, a hump is like a bump but different enough to necessitate a different warning.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »

One explanation I've heard, probably apocryphal, is that the lower the numbers in your area code the more important your locality was circa 1965 or whenever they initially set them up. The reasoning being, the lower the numbers the quicker you could dial them on a rotary phone. So NYC got 212, LA got 213, etc etc.

So, I have this link for some reason:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbering_plan

Turns out they similar area codes were intentionally spread out to be not adjacent.
    Veevee wrote: »
    More like

wd8k3mgqr04m.jpg

Also likely but not my mental image of Kansas.

• Options
    Also likely but not my mental image of Kansas.
    If I ever turned on my camera for roll20, you'd probably need to amend this.

• Options
    When I lived in apartment 316 (In Olde English Manor, for any Wichita folks) my door numbers got stolen more than once.

• Options

It's not apocryphal, that's exactly how the original codes were assigned (with NY, the most active telephone area, getting the easiest code to dial in the system.) Of course, with the advent of touch tone dialing, number location no longer mattered, which is why as new area codes were added to major areas, they had higher numbers.

• Options

It's not apocryphal, that's exactly how the original codes were assigned (with NY, the most active telephone area, getting the easiest code to dial in the system.) Of course, with the advent of touch tone dialing, number location no longer mattered, which is why as new area codes were added to major areas, they had higher numbers.

Well then good on Doug Coupland for teaching me something.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The only signs around here I've been tempted by, would be ruined not on a street corner kinda.

Is a subdivision here where you can be on the corner of Starlight and Moonbeam.

Always expect to see hippies there, never do

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The 2017 Lyttle Lytton contest winner has been announced:
    1.  YOU, the Anagramancer, stare down the invading MANTICORE: Will you ROMANCE IT (turn to 123), give it CREMATION (turn to 213), or summon EROTIC MAN (turn to 312)?

Now there's a line that promises a disturbing Choose Your Own Perversion Fueled Adventure.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Apparently, a hump is like a bump but different enough to necessitate a different warning.

https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/resources/choosing-speed-bumps-humps

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular

I like to imagine the sign would get knocked over, then put back up after a couple of days, only to mysteriously disappear 40 days later.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    The only signs around here I've been tempted by, would be ruined not on a street corner kinda.

Is a subdivision here where you can be on the corner of Starlight and Moonbeam.

Always expect to see hippies there, never do

I've never been tempted to steal any of the signs, but I have been tempted to just buy my own.

I haven't cause that's always seemed like a trap, but as I understand it there is nothing illegal about buying a road sign as long as you don't put it up on public property as if it were a legal road sign.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/resources/choosing-speed-bumps-humps

I feel like I should be looking for the description of "speed hump" on page 123 or 312....(or even 213, in a potentially nightmarish chapter involving high coefficients of friction).

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    In Yugoslavia, the Western half used the "latin" alphabet (think English, French, Italian, etc.. letters) while the Eastern half used "cyrilic" (think Russian). Bosnia, being in the center, used both on official signs, like road signs, kind of like English and French in Quebeck. In school you would learn one in first grade, the other on second grade (random which you learn first, balanced by population), and were required to alternate alphabet for assignments every week. Then in college and after you could user whichever was your preference.

To be clear, it was the same language with the same vocalized letters, you just had 2 different ways of writing most letters (some were same). And most people's preference cane down to which side of that east/west split their ancestors came down.

Then during the 1990s Balkan wars, these sides didn't like each other much anymore. After a U.S. arranged peace accord, the dislike persists but it's not violent. Instead, it's passive aggressive bs. For example, grade schools don't teach the "other" alphabet any more. However, the road signs are still printed in both languages. So petty vandalism is not stealing signs, but spray paint crossing out the "wrong" script. The municipalities are generally poor, so these signs then sit like that for years and years.

Example:
    http://www.sodalive.ba/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/putokaz2.jpg

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    In a much less serious example of linguistic vandalism, it's easy in the area where I grew up to find signs for Londonderry

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The 2017 Lyttle Lytton contest winner has been announced:
    1.  YOU, the Anagramancer, stare down the invading MANTICORE: Will you ROMANCE IT (turn to 123), give it CREMATION (turn to 213), or summon EROTIC MAN (turn to 312)?

Now there's a line that promises a disturbing Choose Your Own Perversion Fueled Adventure.

And it won because... It promises a nightmarish exploration of the arbitrarality (is that a word? I think that's a word) of English grammar. Not because... You know, literally everything else.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    ... Quebeck...

Some days, you guys make me want to cry :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    ... Quebeck...

Name one province in Bosnia (without Googling it), go ahead, I'll wait.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    ... Quebeck...

Name one province in Bosnia (without Googling it), go ahead, I'll wait.

Bosnia?

Herzegovina?

• Options
    Nope

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Are there subregions of Bosnia and Herzegovina then? I know there's the Bosnian Serbia and from Europa Universalis 4 I remember Hum and Travunia but I'm pretty sure that things might have changed in the last 400 years!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Whatever district Sarajevo is in is about as close as I come to it

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Listen I have 50 states and their capitals and major cities to memorize I ain't got the energy to memorize Canada and Bosnia.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.