As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

Ahahahaha I can't believe this is real.

Seriously tho? What the fuck is he talking about $400 million money drop on Iran?? Is there some existing stormfront conspiracy on a secret Iran Operation Dumbo Drop? Or is he making this up out of whole cloth?

this thing

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/that-400-million-secret-payment-to-iran-isnt-quite-wha-1784775010

I see

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Was Hillary Clinton even at all involved in that deal given John Kerry has been Secretary of State since 2013?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    You have to rely more on your neighbors and less on government programs.

I'm under the impression that a lot of rural areas would be absolutely fucked without government programs. Medicaid, food stamps, farm subsidies... the military, in the case of "it gets me the hell out of here". Am I wrong? I understand the story you're telling and I guess people might believe it but is it actually true?

Not especially. The numbers have generally been that red states get more in government funds than they pay in (and blue states get less) and red states are seen as 'rural', so... It also brings to mind the sillyness of saying things like 'Get the government out of my Medicare!'

Cognitive Dissonance is a hell of a drug.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    That Clinton stream -

She gives a shout out to the overflow crowd, apologizes for not being able to fit everyone in, says that they'll need larger spaces in the future. And then?

"I want to say that I actually really like fire marshals."

Never let it be said that Clinton refuses to hit the weak spot of the Giant Enemy Crab for Massive Damage.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I mean, look at how many red states have quietly rebranded Obamacare with their constituents eating it up despite every Republican politician howling about it and promising to repeal it

Orphane on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i guess the question being - was it illegal? but given that it was publically announced + they actually went through the effort of doing weird shit instead of just wiring USD, i would assume it was legal (circumventing spirit of the sanctions, but, yolo)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Trump Campaign Changed Ukraine Platform, Lied About It
    The Trump campaign went out of its way to dramatically alter the Republican Party’s official position on Ukraine—against the wishes of GOP hawks and despite senior Trump aide Paul Manafort’s insistence that they weren’t involved.
    But this account is contradicted by four sources in the room, both for and against the language.

Eric Brakey, a Maine delegate who identifies as a non-interventionist, said he supported the change, which was pushed in part by the Trump campaign.

“Some staff from the Trump campaign came in and… came back with some language that softened the platform,” Brakey told The Daily Beast. “They didn’t intervene in the platform in most cases. But in that case they had some wisdom to say that maybe we don’t want to be calling… for very, very clear aggressive acts of war against Russia.”
    “They substantively changed it,” added Washington, D.C. delegate Rachel Hoff, who was present during the meeting. “It absolutely was my understanding that it was Trump staff.”

According to two Republican delegates, the Trump campaign’s efforts were led in part by J.D. Gordon, a Trump campaign official and a former spokesman at the Pentagon.

Meanwhile, records for the meeting seem to have disappeared. A co-chair for the national security platform subcommittee told The Daily Beast that the minutes for the meeting have been discarded. The Republican National Committee had no comment when asked whether this was standard procedure for all the subcommittees.

During the meeting, pro-Cruz delegate Diane Denman proposed language that called for “providing lethal defensive weapons” to Ukraine.

Her amendment was put on hold so that Republican staff could work with Denman on the language. What followed was a back and forth between Denman and the Trump campaign, according to Denman.

“They were over sitting in chairs at the side of the room,” Denman said of two men who said they working for the Trump campaign, one of whom was Gordon. “When I read my amendment, they got up and walked over and talked to the co-chairmen and they read it. That’s when I was told that it was going to be tabled.”

Denman says the two men took a copy of her amendment back to their chairs, then made calls on their cellphones. Later, she said the two members of Trump’s team claimed to have called the campaign’s New York headquarters, and that her amendment needed to be changed.

When the language came back up, after consultation with Trump’s staff—and in direct contradiction to Manafort’s insistence to the contrary—the section called merely for “appropriate assistance” to Ukraine.

I'm shocked that Manafort was lying. Just really bewildering and disheartening.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    Was Hillary Clinton even at all involved in that deal given John Kerry has been Secretary of State since 2013?

Yes she was. She is on record as the one that wrote the sanctions that brought them to the table. Not the one that wrote the 400mil in non US currency provision probably but a part of the "deal". Good thing the right is inept at taking advantage of that news.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    That Clinton stream -

She gives a shout out to the overflow crowd, apologizes for not being able to fit everyone in, says that they'll need larger spaces in the future. And then?

"I want to say that I actually really like fire marshals."

Never let it be said that Clinton refuses to hit the weak spot of the Giant Enemy Crab for Massive Damage.

plus dat made in colorado scarf

poo
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

I think to some extent. It was part of the Iran nuclear deal negotiations which I think extended into Clinton's tenure? I can't remember tbh. That said, they really really wanted their money back, which is understandable.

And to the US, flaunting the process Iran used at the Hague would hurt when then trying to point to the Hague's decision to delegitimize the Chinese artificial islands, among others. It's a payment with many upsides.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I'm wondering how close Trump will get to calling for Clinton to be assassinated before all this shit is over.

...please don't tempt fate.

It would be convenient because his secret service detail would be right there to arrest him.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i may have this wrong, but roughly concurrent with iran releasing those american sailors, the U.S and the EU arranged an airdrop of $400 mil in non-USD currencies to Iran as payment on an old trade(?) deal that the U.S had violated. the weirdness of an airdrop + non-USD currencies was to circumvent the sanctions which were still in effect at the time?

Iran can't get wire transfers, they are locked out of the world banking market. The different foreign currency is apparently because they don't have very much foreign money.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Yes she was. She is on record as the one that wrote the sanctions that brought them to the table. Not the one that wrote the 400mil in non US currency provision probably but a part of it. Good thing the right is inept at taking advantage of that news.

But the sanctions aren't the deal. She can have helped with the sanctions without being involved in making a deal that finished in 2016.

Edit: Like how do you blame Hillary for that regardless of whether it was OK when she at best only started the talks before they concluded well after she left the office?

Couscous on
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    i guess the question being - was it illegal? but given that it was publically announced + they actually went through the effort of doing weird shit instead of just wiring USD, i would assume it was legal (circumventing spirit of the sanctions, but, yolo)

Again literally can't wire them money because of sanctions against them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Yes she was. She is on record as the one that wrote the sanctions that brought them to the table. Not the one that wrote the 400mil in non US currency provision probably but a part of it. Good thing the right is inept at taking advantage of that news.

But the sanctions aren't the deal. She can have helped with the sanctions without being involved in making a deal that finished in 2016.

The thing is on one hand you have an individual that would clout the fact she was a part of the Iran nuclear deal because she was the one that brought them to the negotiating table. Then on the other side you have a rather large negative news break where it changes to well "technically" I didnt finalize the deal.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

The thing is on one hand you have an individual that would clout the fact she was a part of the Iran nuclear deal because she was the one that brought them to the negotiating table. Then on the other side you have a rather large negative news break where it changes to well "technically" I didnt finalize the deal.

Because the two deals are separate and you confusing them is exactly the point Republicans are trying to make.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    The January reporting also mentioned that we actually owed them $1.3 billion in interest on that $400 million, since we've been holding onto it since 1979. (It was money the Shah sent us right before the Revolution to buy US military hardware; after the Revolution, we kept the cash but never sent the weapons they had paid for.)

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    Trump Campaign Changed Ukraine Platform, Lied About It
    The Trump campaign went out of its way to dramatically alter the Republican Party’s official position on Ukraine—against the wishes of GOP hawks and despite senior Trump aide Paul Manafort’s insistence that they weren’t involved.
    But this account is contradicted by four sources in the room, both for and against the language.

Eric Brakey, a Maine delegate who identifies as a non-interventionist, said he supported the change, which was pushed in part by the Trump campaign.

“Some staff from the Trump campaign came in and… came back with some language that softened the platform,” Brakey told The Daily Beast. “They didn’t intervene in the platform in most cases. But in that case they had some wisdom to say that maybe we don’t want to be calling… for very, very clear aggressive acts of war against Russia.”
    “They substantively changed it,” added Washington, D.C. delegate Rachel Hoff, who was present during the meeting. “It absolutely was my understanding that it was Trump staff.”

According to two Republican delegates, the Trump campaign’s efforts were led in part by J.D. Gordon, a Trump campaign official and a former spokesman at the Pentagon.

Meanwhile, records for the meeting seem to have disappeared. A co-chair for the national security platform subcommittee told The Daily Beast that the minutes for the meeting have been discarded. The Republican National Committee had no comment when asked whether this was standard procedure for all the subcommittees.

During the meeting, pro-Cruz delegate Diane Denman proposed language that called for “providing lethal defensive weapons” to Ukraine.

Her amendment was put on hold so that Republican staff could work with Denman on the language. What followed was a back and forth between Denman and the Trump campaign, according to Denman.

“They were over sitting in chairs at the side of the room,” Denman said of two men who said they working for the Trump campaign, one of whom was Gordon. “When I read my amendment, they got up and walked over and talked to the co-chairmen and they read it. That’s when I was told that it was going to be tabled.”

Denman says the two men took a copy of her amendment back to their chairs, then made calls on their cellphones. Later, she said the two members of Trump’s team claimed to have called the campaign’s New York headquarters, and that her amendment needed to be changed.

When the language came back up, after consultation with Trump’s staff—and in direct contradiction to Manafort’s insistence to the contrary—the section called merely for “appropriate assistance” to Ukraine.

I'm shocked that Manafort was lying. Just really bewildering and disheartening.

So, where would you like your winnings?

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Like it would matter even if she wasn't.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

I think to some extent. It was part of the Iran nuclear deal negotiations which I think extended into Clinton's tenure? I can't remember tbh. That said, they really really wanted their money back, which is understandable.

And to the US, flaunting the process Iran used at the Hague would hurt when then trying to point to the Hague's decision to delegitimize the Chinese artificial islands, among others. It's a payment with many upsides.

If you want other countries to deal with you in accordance with international law and international treaties, it's probably necessary to follow through and do likewise.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Why can't she take credit for bringing them to the negotiating table while not taking credit for every single thing in the deals with Iran that finished well after she left office, including stuff that was considered mostly ancillary to the actual nuclear deal at the time like the $400 million? That doesn't seem contradictory at all to me. She doesn't have to have supported every single thing done to be proud of her role in the overall deal(s) anymore than a politician has to support every single provision in a bill he helped to pass to be proud of his role in getting the bill passed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The big point of Hilary's involvement in the Iran sanctions was she got Russia on board

That's what made them so crippling and likely what brought Iran to the table

• Options
    edited August 2016
    milski wrote: »

Because the two deals are separate and you confusing them is exactly the point Republicans are trying to make.

Its worth noting that I believe, as I implied, that she wasnt a part of the "ransom" brokering. Just, for me, this is one of those "if the tables were reversed" type situations where the left part of the internet would be melting right now. It is a tricky situation to defend as Hilary definately worked on the longstanding Iran weapons deal directly that the white house is attributing the payment towards. And the hostage release is pretty much a "show in good faith" negotiation. But it does look bad. That cannot be denied.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »

Yeah when they are accusing her and Obama for the iraq war and isis things she almost was related to is actually pretty truthful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

It's just a giant blue wash of democratsabloobloobloobloo.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Guys, the Washington Post may have the best headline ever (opinion piece, but still).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/08/03/republicans-nominate-dangerously-insane-person-to-lead-america-then-panic-when-he-proves-hes-dangerously-insane/
    Republicans nominate dangerously insane person to lead America, then panic when he proves he’s dangerously insane

This is definitely "Not the Onion" material.

• Options
    Oh, apparently today was a Trump double feature. Here's the feed for Round 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZKbI1mmrgg

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Can I just point out the terribly huge gulf between what people are talking about our two candidates:

Clinton - what part of an international deal was she responsible for?

Trump - when will he say the C word?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Wash po is so hilariously. Anti trump now

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    In order of most likely to least likely, I'd anticipate the B-word, then the C-word, then the N-word

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Can I just point out the terribly huge gulf between what people are talking about our two candidates:

I'm betting he slips it in as a portmanteau so he can claim he misspoke, then if it plays well he can follow up.

Hillary C*nton.

• Options
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    In order of most likely to least likely, I'd anticipate the B-word, then the C-word, then the N-word

this detail is important. Curious if they show up in the same sentence or not.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Trump has the instinctive need to prove his dominance. One of the main ways he's been doing this has been to prove he is beyond consequences by lying directly into people's faces while he knows they know he's lying to them.

Ah, the Cersei Lannister technique.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2016

That sounds about right.
    Taramoor wrote: »

I'm betting he slips it in as a portmanteau so he can claim he misspoke, then if it plays well he can follow up.

Hillary C*nton.
    I want him to use Cockney rhyming slang. Berk, short for "Berkeley Hunt" or "Berkshire Hunt," which rhymes with another word.

Couscous on
  • Options

Ah hmmm. On the one hand, I'm not keen on buying books from politicians during or near their run for office, just feels a bit slimy. On the other hand, my birthday is right around the release date.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

this detail is important. Curious if they show up in the same sentence or not.

That would be kind of amazing in an awful way.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Been watching five thirty-eight

That little number on the right can't get small enough

• Options
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    omg the now cast is almost down to single digits for trump

i mean i know it's just the now cast but

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059