As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If you start hesitating, then you'll fins yourself unable to get anything at all. If AMD has sorted themselves, what happens should Intel also make improvements on their next release.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    1080 Ti Watch 2017 begins. Coffee is brewed, multiple browser tabs are open. I'm going to snag one of these things at 10 PST god damn it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Same :)

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Looking for a video card under $200. What should I be buying?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nvidia website out of stock in less then a minute...

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Newegg has them up. I snagged a Gigabyte one:
    https://www.newegg.com/videocards/EventSaleStore/ID-2041834

Still in stock as of this posting.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I have one from newegg in my cart and just need to hit continue... but I want it from amazon as I have prime :(

I waited too long mulling it over :(

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Yeah, I missed the ones at Nvidia.com by doing that, so I said F-it and decided to just grab one from newegg while I could and deal with the lack of Prime.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, round 3 on this build. The changes:

*As was pointed out, the CPU/mobo tend to have a life cycle of 5-6 years before replacement. Given that, I might as well invest the extra $100, and go with the 1800X.
    *To get some headroom back, I scaled the RAM back to 16 GB. I've also switched to the RAM that AMD sent with their press kits.
    *Also, since the board supports it, I've added an M.2 SSD in place of the SATA one.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Newegg is still showing Gigabyte and Asus in stock. Gigabyte jumped from out to in to out to in, so I assume people are putting them in cart and not buying, or orders are getting canceled.

e: Asus still in stock, everything else sold out. My order just kicked over to "Packaging", which means I definitely have on on it's way. Woot!

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It's not like your computer is going to slow to a crawl where it takes 5 hours to compile something that took 5 minutes on your previous build; and if you choose the "wrong" CPU, it isn't going to set itself on fire.

Will it be "less optimal?" Sure. Will it be measurable? That's debateable.

For sure! Which is why I pulled the trigger on it in the end. I'm upgrading from a Q6600 anyway (though I've been using the i5 at work for the last 2 years) It's just that I don't see myself having the budget for a new build in the next 5 or so years, so I've been extremely picky up until this morning. :biggrin:

On that note, I'll have all my parts tomorrow but I have project deadline to hit next Thursday before I can build. All that shiny gear sitting in boxes... :bigfrown:

Taerak on
  • Options
    Taerak wrote: »
    It's not like your computer is going to slow to a crawl where it takes 5 hours to compile something that took 5 minutes on your previous build; and if you choose the "wrong" CPU, it isn't going to set itself on fire.

Will it be "less optimal?" Sure. Will it be measurable? That's debateable.

For sure! Which is why I pulled the trigger on it in the end. I'm upgrading from a Q6600 anyway (though I've been using the i5 at work for the last 2 years) It's just that I don't see myself having the budget for a new build in the next 5 or so years, so I've been extremely picky up until this morning. :biggrin:

On that note, I'll have all my parts tomorrow but I have project deadline to hit next Thursday before I can build. All that shiny gear sitting in boxes... :bigfrown:

Heh. My wife told me in no uncertain terms to start ordering components.

• Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

*As was pointed out, the CPU/mobo tend to have a life cycle of 5-6 years before replacement. Given that, I might as well invest the extra $100, and go with the 1800X.
    *To get some headroom back, I scaled the RAM back to 16 GB. I've also switched to the RAM that AMD sent with their press kits.
    *Also, since the board supports it, I've added an M.2 SSD in place of the SATA one.

Not to muddy the waters, but you could get the 1700X and keep 32 GB of RAM if this is for productivity. It's only 200 Mhz at the end of the day, not the 600 difference between the 1800X and the 1700. However, I'm not sure what your RAM needs are.

If you're into or are fine with OC'ing, apparently the 1700, 1700X and 1800X all pretty much hit the same 3.9 Ghz ceiling on all cores with a decent air cooler, with a lucky few being able to push 4 or 4.1. I've seen people on Reddit say they did that relatively easily with the included cooler, but I don't think that cooler is really intended for OC'ing.

Taerak on
  • Options
    Taerak wrote: »

Not to muddy the waters, but you could get the 1700X and keep 32 GB of RAM if this is for productivity. It's only 200 Mhz at the end of the day, not the 600 difference between the 1800X and the 1700. However, I'm not sure what your RAM needs are.

If you're into or are fine with OC'ing, apparently the 1700, 1700X and 1800X all pretty much hit the same 3.9 Ghz ceiling on all cores with a decent air cooler, with a lucky few being able to push 4 or 4.1. I've seen people on Reddit say they did that relatively easily with the included cooler, but I don't think that cooler is really intended for OC'ing.

I'm figuring that the RAM is something that I can add on in the future if I really want it, so I'd rather invest that money in the processor (since it has to be spent "up front".)

• Options
    Here's another question: I probably won't be upgrading my monitors for a year (they're nothing fancy (1920x1080) but are serviceable, and I want to wait on that until I get our housing figured out.) Given that, does the 1070 still make sense?

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Here's another question: I probably won't be upgrading my monitors for a year (they're nothing fancy (1920x1080) but are serviceable, and I want to wait on that until I get our housing figured out.) Given that, does the 1070 still make sense?

Would you be playing on only one monitor? These are the first benchmarks I found with 1920x1080 tested (the 1080 ti results i saw only tested 4k and 1440) - a 1070 appears to be overkill for 1080 gaming. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679-3.html

Tomshardware suggests either the RX 480 at $200 or the GTX 1060 @ $299 for 1080p gaming (or the GTX 1050 TI at $140). http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

If you're playing at 1080p, I'd suggest you go with the RX 480 or 1050 TI for now, and bank the extra cash to get a 4k monitor + 4k-capable graphics card. Currently the best gsync-compatible 4K monitors are between $800-$1200, and freesync ones are going from $500-$700, so you'll want to leave room in your budget for getting the right monitor for your card.

I'm waiting to see how AMD's Vega release fares - even if it just fights the 1080 TI to a draw, it should mean downward price pressure on the TI.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »

Would you be playing on only one monitor? These are the first benchmarks I found with 1920x1080 tested (the 1080 ti results i saw only tested 4k and 1440) - a 1070 appears to be overkill for 1080 gaming. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679-3.html

Tomshardware suggests either the RX 480 at $200 or the GTX 1060 @ $299 for 1080p gaming (or the GTX 1050 TI at $140). http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

If you're playing at 1080p, I'd suggest you go with the RX 480 or 1050 TI for now, and bank the extra cash to get a 4k monitor + 4k-capable graphics card. Currently the best gsync-compatible 4K monitors are between $800-$1200, and freesync ones are going from $500-$700, so you'll want to leave room in your budget for getting the right monitor for your card.

I'm waiting to see how AMD's Vega release fares - even if it just fights the 1080 TI to a draw, it should mean downward price pressure on the TI.

I'd like to leave the door open for VR potentially. I feel like since I haven't upgraded in a long time (I'm also moving from a Q6600 as well), I'm not sure what I'll be doing.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

@tsmvengy RX 480 if you can't go any higher at all.

• Options
    @GnomeTank looks like I snagged a Zotac off NE. Had got on the EVGA preorder on Amazon as soon as it was available, but no movement on my order. So I guess I will just watercool this thing to get a decent OC out of it.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i'm on a 1080, there's literally no reason i need a 1080Ti, and yet i wants one.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    You need one!

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I'd like to leave the door open for VR potentially. I feel like since I haven't upgraded in a long time (I'm also moving from a Q6600 as well), I'm not sure what I'll be doing.

Honestly unless you want to develop for VR or are really into racing or flight sims, wait for VR until the next iteration of Oculus/Vive product. It's cool, but game developers are still figuring out how to use the technology to create good games.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

It's a lot of decision paralysis, I know. I can tell you from personal experience that if you're looking into a house soon, any extra computer funds will either be forgotten for a while, or will be used for paint, door locks/knobs, furniture (new desk?), or contractors.

I think a 1070 is still fine, but won't be able to handle VR. You could do the 1060 or 1050 and be fine for your usage case; I don't think you'll find any games you attempt to play will be crippled with any of the three.

• Options

It's a lot of decision paralysis, I know. I can tell you from personal experience that if you're looking into a house soon, any extra computer funds will either be forgotten for a while, or will be used for paint, door locks/knobs, furniture (new desk?), or contractors.

I think a 1070 is still fine, but won't be able to handle VR. You could do the 1060 or 1050 and be fine for your usage case; I don't think you'll find any games you attempt to play will be crippled with any of the three.

Alright. Do you think the ROG motherboard is overkill as well?

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

@Xeddicus GTX 1060 if I can?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    GTX 970 is like the baseline VR card, so a 1070 should be fine for a bit.

I think waiting for gen 2 Rift/Vive is a good idea though.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    That's crazy talk, the 1070 absolutely can handle VR. Crush it, in fact.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea a 1070 is perfectly fine for VR.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

@Xeddicus GTX 1060 if I can?

Make sure it's the 6GB version. And yes.

• Options
    What he said, though the 480 may be a bit ahead of it in near future games (or not), but the 1060 has the slight edge atm.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Am running a GTX 1070 with an old 3770K CPU in VR. Can confirm crushing VR, no problemo.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Got my tracking number for my 1080 Ti. Gets here Wednesday of next week. Super excited!

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'd like some opinions on a decision I'm trying to make. I currently have an i5-3750k and a Geforce 660 TI. With Mass Effect around the corner, I'm considering upgrading my video card. My processor is still running at stock speeds and I haven't had isuses so I'm not considering upgrading that side. The 660 Ti is showing its age though.

Two options I'm thinking about:
    1) 1050 Ti - approx. $200 (canadian)
    2) 1070 - approx. $550 cdn

I'm looking at videocardbenchmark.net and the scores I see are the following:
    660 Ti - 4693
    1050 Ti - 5846
    1070 - 10935

Are these numbers correct in that I wouldn't expect to see much for performance gains from the 1050 Ti?

(Sidenote: I'm only playing at 1080p though I don't mind paying a bit now to not have to upgrade for a few years)

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    That's correct. If you don't want pay that much for the 1070 the 1060 would be a good up too, just a bit below the 1070 obviously.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Let's go back to the past with my discussion about my brother wanting to build a video-processing machine.

We've been talking about stats and stuff and he's come to the conclusion that this computer here is the "blueprint" he'd like to work to - in other words, he wants to hit similar statistics for it. But I've assured him that making the computer ourselves would be better for future-proofing and such, so I guess I just want to see if we can get close to the stats for about the same price, so we can ensure he can upgrade it more easily a few years down the road.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    When you say 'upgrade more easily', do you mean a system that is easy to swap parts in and out over something like that ACER? Or something where you could, say, swap in a new CPU in a couple of years?

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I'd like some opinions on a decision I'm trying to make. I currently have an i5-3750k and a Geforce 660 TI. With Mass Effect around the corner, I'm considering upgrading my video card. My processor is still running at stock speeds and I haven't had isuses so I'm not considering upgrading that side. The 660 Ti is showing its age though.

Two options I'm thinking about:
    1) 1050 Ti - approx. $200 (canadian)
    2) 1070 - approx. $550 cdn

I'm looking at videocardbenchmark.net and the scores I see are the following:
    660 Ti - 4693
    1050 Ti - 5846
    1070 - 10935

Are these numbers correct in that I wouldn't expect to see much for performance gains from the 1050 Ti?

(Sidenote: I'm only playing at 1080p though I don't mind paying a bit now to not have to upgrade for a few years)

the 1070 would be a good buy for you. It occupies a weird middle ground right now where it's overkill for 1080p, but arguably underpowered for running high refresh 1440p.

If ou plan to stay on 1080p for the foreseeable future, then the 1070 will be a really nice card to have, because it'll run 1080p content without breaking a sweat, which means your PC will run nice and cool and quiet, and have a long life.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    i accidentally a 1080 ti

looks like I'm gonna have to buy all the other components that make up a 2017 computer too!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    i accidentally a 1080 ti

looks like I'm gonna have to buy all the other components that make up a 2017 computer too!

You could just sell that Ti on eBay right now and buy a new computer with that money, lol.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    yeah

on the plus side I might be able to keep using my existing case (Corsair air 540) and PSU

99% sure on what processor I will get: Intel Core i5-7600K

I need to research motherboards.

All the other components I need will probably be easy to decide on

This discussion has been closed.