As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portend: A Post-Apocalyptic Pirate [Phalla] - Game Over!

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Day Eight - The Definition of Insanity

When the rum stops flowing in Portend, the blood flows instead. To no surprise, the pirates of Portend turned on each other this night, tearing each other apart with tooth and nail and sword and claw. The biggest prize amongst the evening's slaughter was another of the Death Cultists, but as the life drained from him he uttered a grim warning;

"We are now united in death."

The pirates ignored the man. Portend was no place for mystic nonsense.

Landmark Status
    Forge (10 HP)
    Harbour (10 HP)
    Mortuary (10 HP)
    Sacred Cave (5 HP)
    The Lock and Sabre Pub (0 HP)

Player Deaths
    chamberlain, Death Cultist - walked the plank
    ObiFett, Shadowdancer - torn apart by something unspeakable
    MrTLicious, Diviner of Portend - torn apart by something unspeakable
    AustinP0027, Pirate of Portend - stabbed by robed figures
    Locus, Builder of Portend - assaulted
    Cythraul, Pirate of Portend - assaulted
    Mamawolf, Healer of Portend - assaulted in a time paradox (host error from previous night)

Day Eight has now begun. Update PMs will be going out shortly.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    OooooOOOoooOOOo
    mrw-i-get-out-of-a-test-and-friends-are-talking-about-their-answers-that-are-completely-different-to-yours.jpg
    OOooOooooOOOoOO

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    are you actually dead this time

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Oooooooooooooo
    I knew this life was too good to be true haha
    Awesome game!!!!
    Ooooooooooooooo

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    All Update PMs have now been sent out. Let me know if I've missed you or made a mistake.

Day Eight will last for approximately two days.

It is also most likely the final night. Make it count.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Should we just throw our cards on the table, and try to make sense of everything that's going on?

• Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    are you actually dead this time

i can't bring him back this time.

let's talk

corvidae on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    we have been talking

what else is new

• Options
    chatting, yes.

talking, no.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Should we just throw our cards on the table, and try to make sense of everything that's going on?

Yeah, I think we should. No point in being secretive anymore.

So, my role is Blacksmith of Portend. I can boost someone's attack, which I've been doing for Obi every night since his first resurrection.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options

So, my role is Blacksmith of Portend. I can boost someone's attack, which I've been doing for Obi every night since his first resurrection.

My role is Armorer of Portend. I can boost someone's defense.

My actions so far
    Day 1- So I voted for Austin but when I asked if anyone wanted to join my crew, he and WACriminal say they wanted to. I told them who I was. Austin said he was a normal pirate, WACriminal said he was going to be out of town and be hardly around so I should give Austin the defense boost, which I did.
    Day 2- I when pirating, and got an upgrade to my Defense Boost. I give +2 Defense now instead of +1.
    Day 3- I gave myself an armor boost.
    Day 4- Austin said that he wasn't sure about WACriminal since he hadn't told us anything about him. So he revealed to me that he had a Mason Partner, Cythraul, and they were talking to another Blacksmith. I joined the group (I'll let the other Blacksmith reveal himself if he wants to). I gave Matev a defense boost, or tried to. Everyone else attacked whoever Matev asked them to attack.
    Day 5- OBIFETT! That was the conversation the whole night. We decided as a group we didn't trust him and that killing him was the most important thing. I gave the Blacksmith a defense upgrade while we attacked ObiFett.
    Day 6- Obifett again... We were not happy that he was still kicking. But Obifett got in touch with me, tried to smooth out our differences. I told him I thought WACriminal was clean since he's known who I am since day 1 but I was still alive and not once has anyone tried to kill me. I'm sure that is going to change tonight but... Obifett said something about WACriminal having a odd power, which was news to me. But I didn't think about it until the next night... We tried to take out SLyM as a group, but we did 0 damage... I'm not sure if it's because our attacks count against defense individually or not, but he survived a combined 8+ Attack that night.
    Day 7- Yesterday, I thought more about WACriminal's odd power. It seemed that he was a busdriver, but lost his power to drinking, which is what Obifett found odd because he hadn't heard of anyone having a negative effect from drinking. We decided to attack under Obifett's orders, while I tried to get Austin a defense bonus that seemed to be useless. I talked to WACriminal and he said that he had a power but that it was gone because Burnagephalla.

So that's all I've learned and done. Go through it as you wish and try piece together who the last mafia is from it.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    in the spirit of burnagephalla i'm down for this....

y'arrr. i've got some kool aid for ya, and it's gonna be a real piss poor substitute for the rum we all be missing.

I'm a builder of portend

Which is totally a giant flashing neon sign pointing to me screaming "mafia", because it breaks our 2 out of 3 rule.

My vote record is pretty shit, i've hopped on wagons pretty much every chance.
    my actions are pretty much unverifiable, i have not attacked anybody all game long.
    and for some reason, i was totally unseerable.

And i'm coming out to you, pointing out that i'm the obvious choice,
    which will be the wrong choice.

i am green to the core.

also, i resurrected obifett.

corvidae on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

My role is Armorer of Portend. I can boost someone's defense.

My actions so far
    Day 1- So I voted for Austin but when I asked if anyone wanted to join my crew, he and WACriminal say they wanted to. I told them who I was. Austin said he was a normal pirate, WACriminal said he was going to be out of town and be hardly around so I should give Austin the defense boost, which I did.
    Day 2- I when pirating, and got an upgrade to my Defense Boost. I give +2 Defense now instead of +1.
    Day 3- I gave myself an armor boost.
    Day 4- Austin said that he wasn't sure about WACriminal since he hadn't told us anything about him. So he revealed to me that he had a Mason Partner, Cythraul, and they were talking to another Blacksmith. I joined the group (I'll let the other Blacksmith reveal himself if he wants to). I gave Matev a defense boost, or tried to. Everyone else attacked whoever Matev asked them to attack.
    Day 5- OBIFETT! That was the conversation the whole night. We decided as a group we didn't trust him and that killing him was the most important thing. I gave the Blacksmith a defense upgrade while we attacked ObiFett.
    Day 6- Obifett again... We were not happy that he was still kicking. But Obifett got in touch with me, tried to smooth out our differences. I told him I thought WACriminal was clean since he's known who I am since day 1 but I was still alive and not once has anyone tried to kill me. I'm sure that is going to change tonight but... Obifett said something about WACriminal having a odd power, which was news to me. But I didn't think about it until the next night... We tried to take out SLyM as a group, but we did 0 damage... I'm not sure if it's because our attacks count against defense individually or not, but he survived a combined 8+ Attack that night.
    Day 7- Yesterday, I thought more about WACriminal's odd power. It seemed that he was a busdriver, but lost his power to drinking, which is what Obifett found odd because he hadn't heard of anyone having a negative effect from drinking. We decided to attack under Obifett's orders, while I tried to get Austin a defense bonus that seemed to be useless. I talked to WACriminal and he said that he had a power but that it was gone because Burnagephalla.

So that's all I've learned and done. Go through it as you wish and try piece together who the last mafia is from it.

'Tis true, I be The Fool Of Portend. Began the game with a bus-driving power.
    Day 1- Used me bus-driving power on kime. This be why, I suspect, the mafia kill be landing on him despite him winning the vote. We been saying "inactive/inexperienced mafia", but I think we can all be agreeing that discrider be a lot of things, but "inexperienced mafia" be not one of them. Same could be said for the others wot have died red.

Day 2- Went drinking, was informed that I been beaten up and me power stolen. Me working theory be that SaberOverEasy were the Serial Killer and had some sort o' power theft ability, but truthfully I be not knowing what the feck, mates. BurnagePhalla.

Day 3- Saber died this night, taking me power with him if my speculations be correct. Went drinking again this night (hoping there might be a way wot to gain my power back), were informed I found a hidden place to drink wot protected me from actions that night.

Day 4- Went pirating. Picked up some armor. Were assaulted twice for no damage.

Day 5- Went pirating. Picked up a shitty sword. Were assaulted once for some damage.

Day 6- Went drinking, found that hidden drinking spot again.

Day 7- Went pirating. Picked up a less shitty sword. Here's where I be...questioning of Grunt's Ghosts. Ye be deciding to attack me under Obi's orders, but I be not receiving any notifications of being attacked at all last night. In fact, I been not attacked since Day 5. So I not be understanding what transpired, unless ye be mafia and this be the hole in yer story.

While we be waiting for that bit o' clarification from Grunt's Ghosts, I should be saying that if GG be having a good explanation, SLyM be my next suspect. That be just a hunch, but I'd like to be hearing some scuttlebutt from him as well.

Another possibility be that we not even be fighting the death cultists any more. In narration, that last one be saying, "Now we are united in death." Could be we be finished with the death cultists, and have some other single threat remaining? I be not knowing, mate.

• Options
    I didn't attack you last night. We attacked Locus under Obi's orders. I thought I have that written down but I guess I did. Sorry. I've been 90-75% sure you were villager this whole time, since I haven't die nor been attacked despite you being a loose end then I've decided to trust you. I've been protecting you behind the scenes when people start questioning or wanting to attack you.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I didn't attack you last night. We attacked Locus under Obi's orders. I thought I have that written down but I guess I did. Sorry. I've been 90-75% sure you were villager this whole time, since I haven't die nor been attacked despite you being a loose end then I've decided to trust you. I've been protecting you behind the scenes when people start questioning or wanting to attack you.

Oh! Yer phrasing went from talking about me directly to "we decided to attack under Obi's orders". This do make more sense.

I'd like to hear from SLyM, mate.

• Options

Another possibility be that we not even be fighting the death cultists any more. In narration, that last one be saying, "Now we are united in death." Could be we be finished with the death cultists, and have some other single threat remaining? I be not knowing, mate.[/i]

This was close to what I was thinking. So maybe another ex-pirate like Saber? We can't effect the ghosts that have 2 kills.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    The reason your attacks did no damage is because I'm also an armorer and have used my power mostly on myself all game.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Be there anyone living who can vouch for yer ability?

• Options
    SLyM wrote: Β»
    The reason your attacks did no damage is because I'm also an armorer and have used my power mostly on myself all game.

That's what I figured but Obi wouldn't confirm it.

• Options
    So who did you busdrive with kime day one? Because I'm pretty surprised neither you nor anyone you talked to has yet mentioned that you confirmed someone to not be mafia on day one. That should be kinda a big deal.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thought I been including that in me original post, but ye be right, I missed it. It were Brody, mate.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    Ye can go back and check the vote records the day Brody and Saber died. Wagon was taking off on Brody, but I be supporting the Saber vote, mate.

• Options
    i'm a protector

day 1&2 ketbra was inactive
    day 3 guarded matev
    day 4 guarded jpants
    day 5 guarded cythraul
    day 6 guarded obifett

also, yay for fevers. i had wonderful hallucinations o being a pirate tavern last night. so thanks for that

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Not being in a pirate tavern, but being a tavern? That sounds way cooler than my dreams.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    I've had a busy day and won't be around much for the rest of the night either, so I'm just gonna hope for the best and stick with my long-standing suspicion that SLyM is a cultist.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Well, you're wrong and your vote is bad. We have a lot of vote records from the last few days that incriminate mafia and voting based on days old hunches are going to lose us the game.

• Options
    So remaining players-

Grunt's Ghosts- Armorer
    Bliss 101- Blacksmith
    WACriminal- Depowered Busdriver
    38thDoe- Blacksmith (sorry, bro, but process of elemination would have revealed that).
    corvidae- Builder
    SLyM- Armorer
    lonelyahava- Protector

So... stuff that is making me go "Mmmm"...

No one can confirm lonely. Everyone she "protected" is dead.

38th can back my story, at least up to when I joined the group. He can also vouch for my power as he received it. And I can vouch for his as Austin and Cythraul both said they got their upgrades in the group PMs.

WACriminal's story is odd... but again, he knew who I was and if he's mafia I would have been dead before now. But more on that later...

Bliss is like Lonely, everyone who could confirm the story is dead.

Corvidae is the 3rd of the "Builders" which so far any role with three people has had one show up mafia.

SLyM has been self armoring himself the whole time, although I believe looking through the old PMs I had with Obi that they did talk. I believe he has that power since a group couldn't take him down.

So something I've been thinking about, the "Now we are united in death." Would that mean that there are no more mafia? Well... Saber turned out to be something that wasn't Death Cultist, so maybe there is another ex-pirate, like a Quartermaster or whatever a pirate calls his Right Hand Man. But how they are effecting the game is kinda hard to say right now. We haven't had any orange kills, so unless they are able to hide their kills under another color, I'm not sure...

My list of maybe mafia/ex-pirate is Lonely or Corvidae.

• Options
    I'm not sure armorer is a role the mafia would prioritize killing. The dead have known I'm one since at least matev. Did all 3 of you guys say you would attack me? Because I only got hit twice.

• Options
    I'm going to vote for Corvidae

So far the rule of 3 seems to be working and with your awful voting record, I'm incline to follow that.

• Options
    I would think someone would have contradicted corvidae if he hadn't been the one to bring obifett back

I still feel off about wacriminal, bliss took over for an inactive then just kept voting for me, I can't remember anything 38thDoe has done this game, ahava also took over for an inactive so I really don't know

• Options
    Fuck it. wacrininal still looks suspicious to me

• Options
    38th has been working with me, Austin, and Cythraul.

I believe that the Blacksmiths and Armorers are all clean because it would make sense for one of each to be evil, but with only 1 mafia left and all 2 of each role still on the table, it would seem odd the mafia would get one but not the other.

Lonely, again, is iffy. So is WACriminal. I'm betting his clean from my own exprence and the fact he never asked me to boost him or any of his mafia friends. I took him into my original group, not the other way around. I would expect the mafia to have been trying to recruit people like me from day 1 and kill us the moment it would have been reveal that we were upgrading mafia players.

• Options
    corvidae wrote: Β»
    also, i resurrected obifett.

Drunk phone posting observation: power over death sounds like a power a death Cultist might be having.

But resurrecting Obi would be.... A hell of a gambit, to say the least. Not sure what to think of this claim, mate.

• Options
    According to the host, it was an artifact that revived obi, one I assume found pirating

• Options
    I'm sitting at the walk in clinic waiting to be seen by a dr.

I was going through my PMs with it illustrious undead.

Wacriminal was meant to attack obi last night as a means to confirm his alignment.

Did that happen?

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    edited August 2016

So far the rule of 3 seems to be working and with your awful voting record, I'm incline to follow that.

Now, i don't know how many of you knew i was a builder , since our networking abilities were very compromised. if i were red, would i take the chance and specifically come right out and say "i was in a role that we already have 2 dead villagers in"

i know, and i specifically pointed it out for a reason. we've had great success with that rule of 3 thing. However, you saw how much damage the mafia did to the town's buildings on night1.

i know that all of builders repaired the mortuary night 2. and Mortuary only got back to 3 Hp for day 3. I have to believe that having 3 builders was a balance decision on burnage's part. otherwise we would be playing an insanely hard game.

and i'll say the same thing i said to obifett.

"i haven't played phalla in over 3 years, and even back then, I was not very good at it. I am in-your-face flamboyantly suspicious. Do you really think i could pull off a gambit like this?"

corvidae on
  • Options
    Oh cool, I forgot that this is an extended day. Means I have time to do some thinking after all.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options

SLyM wrote: Β»
    I'm not sure armorer is a role the mafia would prioritize killing. The dead have known I'm one since at least matev.

the black kills most likely ignore armor.

the mafia/dead kept you around the same reason they kept me around, cause we are both shady as hell and drawing attention.

for now, i'm leaning towards

wacriminal

• Options
    corvidae wrote: Β»

Now, i don't know how many of you knew i was a builder , since our networking abilities were very compromised. if i were red, would i take the chance and specifically come right out and say "i was in a role that we already have 2 dead villagers in"

i know, and i specifically pointed it out for a reason. we've had great success with that rule of 3 thing. However, you saw how much damage the mafia did to the town's buildings on night1.

i know that all of builders repaired the mortuary night 2. and Mortuary only got back to 3 Hp for day 3. I have to believe that having 3 builders was a balance decision on burnage's part. otherwise we would be playing an insanely hard game.

and i'll say the same thing i said to obifett.

"i haven't played phalla in over 3 years, and even back then, I was not very good at it. I am in-your-face flamboyantly suspicious. Do you really think i could pull off a gambit like this?"

I'm not going to lie, I'm not 100% on who to vote for at this point. I forgot today was an extended day so I just voted. But you've been on the suspicious list for awhile now, are the third builder, and have a terrible vote record.

Then there is WACriminal whose story is odd and I'm not sure how to take it.

Then Lonely who hasn't said much all game, and no one around to back her up.

If we are assuming that the Blacksmith and Armorer roles are clean just because there is 1 mafia left and 2 of each of those roles remaining, then it's narrowed down to you three. And I'm not sure we have enough fire power to vote for one and attack the other two.