As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portend: A Post-Apocalyptic Pirate [Phalla] - Game Over!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I'm don't think anyone is gonna change their vote but if you're missing orders we might wanna wait.
    WACriminal wrote: »
    OK, yeah, host just confirmed a confession from me could finish the game. I didn't want to do it before in case of any remaining non-mafia factors (like survival neutrals, etc.).

I fought the ObiLaw, and the ObiLaw won, mate.

If this is true, then we might as well just end the game because orders won't matter.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Your fate is not yet certain.

Remaining orders do matter.

• Options
    hm

hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Options
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I'll do this instead, just in case: corvidae

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    ♥♥♥

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

This freaking post is going to haunt me forever

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016

This freaking post is going to haunt me forever

herman-cain-smile.gif, mate.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm awake i'm awake

was i the one missing?

ohgo somebody save me from this illness.

• Options
    The End

The journey had been long, and hard, and corvidae was having none of it. Portend had descended into chaos; the dead littered the streets, and the living could barely be found. So off the pirate sailed, in search of treasure and a brighter future.

All that corvidae found this evening, however, was the wrath of the eighty mile long Necrokraken, a monstrous relic from times past. The pirate's ship was barely noticeable as a toothpick to the beast.

The loss was not mourned; the other pirates had bigger concerns on their mind. Black shadows dripped from the walls, shredding flesh from the very bones of any that they were unlucky enough to touch. In the midst of the madness, WACriminal lay laughing, the souls of the damned swirling around him. They were beginning to force their way through to the land of the living, the vengeful dead coming to wreak havoc -

And then he fell dead.

He was never certain exactly who - or what - killed the last Death Cultist, but since there was only a single pirate left alive in Portend at the end of the events, he always figured it reasonable to take the credit. Not like there'd be anyone to dispute his claims.

Once the dust had settled, the pirate sighed, and looked around the ruins.

He had a lot of work to do.

Player Deaths
    WACriminal, Death Cultist - walked the plank
    38thDoe, Blacksmith of Portend - torn apart by something unspeakable
    lonelyahava, Defender of Portend - torn apart by something unspeakable
    SLyM, Armourer of Portend - stabbed by a robed figure
    Grunt's Ghosts, Armourer of Portend - assaulted
    corvidae, Builder of Portend - killed by the Necrokraken while pillaging and assaulted

The Survivors
    Bliss 101, Blacksmith of Portend

The Pirates of Portend are victorious and the ghosts of the fallen rest easy.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    So there was a lot going on in this game, and I have some thoughts on how it panned out.
    Let's start with the less contentious stuff; the fluff. Weirdly, this was based on a fever dream I had about a decade ago in which two homeless boys living in a Mediterranean-style market city decided to steal a submarine, before finding a pirate island in the middle of the ocean. One of the boys rose through the ranks of pirates, eventually falling in love with the daughter of the pirate king Anthony Hopkins - and, since Anthony Hopkins disapproved of the relationship, the boy murdered him and became king of the pirates himself. Unfortunately, Anthony Hopkins rose from the dead as a demon, promptly killed the boy in retaliation, and the boy found himself in an afterlife consisting of nothing but dust, greyness, and the odd animated skeleton. Fairly soon the boy become bored of being dead, thought "Fuck this" and willed himself back to the land of the living - at which point I woke up.

I've had some time to think about this background, is what I'm saying. You can probably spot some of the eventual themes and mechanics for this game in that synopsis.

With that out of the way, let's move onto one of the defining mechanics; the dead board. Death has always seemed to me to be the least fun part of Phalla - getting day one'd sucks! So I wanted to try and allow players to influence the game after their death, albeit in a reduced capacity so that death still had an impact.

One initial (overly ambitious) idea that I had was to have an entire second game running in the background, and being killed in it returned you to life in the first game. Players would have had different roles in each game, and the puzzle for the players would involve figuring out who had to be dead in each game for both villages to win. Unfortunately that also turned out to be a puzzle for the host, and I couldn't figure out a way to satisfactorily implement it, so I went with the simpler "revenge" method seen here. For the most part I think it worked pretty well, although I know some of you weren't happy about being converted. Hopefully that concern has been laid to rest now that you know you actually won with your original win condition, too.

One thing that I honestly didn't expect was for players to want to die so they could get the converted win condition. I did tell people to play to their win condition, but I'm not sure I'm too concerned by this particular instance, really. It's nicely thematic and I don't think it caused any balance issues.

Speaking of balance issues, let's get on to the stuff that's probably going to cause some debate.

ObiFett's Shadowdancer role was powerful, yes, but it was essentially the village's counterpart to the (also very powerful!) growing mafia-aligned ghost faction. The one part of the role that I'd change if I re-ran this game would be that the Shadowdancer either wouldn't be able to attack or wouldn't be able to receive weapon upgrades - an immortal network head is strong, but what was essentially an immortal vigilante is possibly too much. Being hit with so many kills also made it seem a relatively powerful role, but that's not necessarily an intrinsic strength - several of the ghosts (correctly) made the argument that attempting to kill him repeatedly would be a waste of their power. That said, Obi playing dead did backfire slightly for the village, in that it caused corvidae to waste a resurrection item on him. Then again, that resurrection made some of the ghosts think that Obi really had been killed that time.

I actually wound up being generally happy with the balance of this game, especially since my games are typically slanted wildly towards a mafia victory. I'm sure there's going to be disagreement there - I saw both villagers and mafia members saying that they felt like the game was an instant loss for them - but the end was actually remarkably close. Hell, there was literally one player left standing! What actually lost the game for the mafia, I think, wasn't ObiFett but were actually the low death counts for the first few nights. The serial killer spent his time alive in the pub (yes, there was a serial killer, and I actually messaged Saber to check that he'd spotted that he had a kill ability), the mafia doubled up their kill with the vote, were unlucky enough to hit some of the few tough to kill villagers with their attacks, and the vigilante either didn't send orders in or doubled up with the vote.

This was problematic when a lot of the mafia's power was dependent on a relatively high early game death count. Destroying landmarks? Really you needed one or two of the builders dead so they couldn't repair easily. The ghosts getting a second kill a night or two earlier could have made a huge difference. The Shadowdancer role popping up earlier could have made a huge impact on what was said on the dead board, which might have prevented the village from being able to piece together some information about the mafia.

Deaths from assaults indicating the faction of the player who did the assaulting actually worked out well, I think. It was a very powerful piece of information, yes, but it was also a replacement for seering and it would have been possible for the mafia to remove it if they'd destroyed the mortuary. 10 HP for the mortuary was, in retrospect, too high - it should really have been 5 HP, or at least the mafia should have had the "destroy" ability as an inheritable power so they didn't lose out as the game went on. The mafia was meant to be a growing threat, and the village was supposed to be in a race against time to flush them out; I'm not sure that actually came across.

This game's version of seering was pretty limited, because I dislike the standard type of seering - it's very binary and can quickly stifle discussion. I gave MrTLicious one seering result because I was feeling bad that he'd essentially asked questions I wasn't willing to answer (no, I am not going to instantly tell you the names of all the mafia, sorry). What I was expecting for the role were mechanics questions - how does the black kill work? What conversions are in play? Things like that. Vague information that could help the village, without leading to an automatic death sentence for a player.

In terms of other mechanics; drinking and piracy were actually both very similar in terms of effect, with the most frequent benefits being +1 Attack or Defense, some slightly stronger results (getting drunk and passing out in a safe spot so you could ignore all actions for the night) and the odd very powerful result (such as Matev finding a sword that boosted his Attack to 20 and cut his HP in half, Auralynx getting a suit of power armour, or corvidae finding a resurrection box). They were possibly both too attractive and too much of a distraction, given how the more powerful roles spent a disconcertingly large amount of their time in the pub.

The Dead Board's here, by the way.

On the whole, I think this went pretty well - especially since it was the first time I've hosted in six years.

I hope you all enjoyed playing!

Burnage on
  • Options
    oh thank god

• Options
    WHAT ACTIONS MATTERED?!

• Options
    WHAT ACTIONS MATTERED?!

If the villagers had split their attacks onto two targets (for some reason), it could have been a draw.

It wasn't likely, but I still had to wait to make sure!

• Options
    MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    Thanks for the game Burnage, I thought being a ghost was awesome. I think the mafia played a good game, just had a few too many unlucky situations crop up. it was quite the ride though!

• Options
    With that out of the way, let's move onto one of the defining mechanics; the dead board. Death has always seemed to me to be the least fun part of Phalla - getting day one'd sucks! So I wanted to try and allow players to influence the game after their death, albeit in a reduced capacity so that death still had an impact.

One initial (overly ambitious) idea that I had was to have an entire second game running in the background, and being killed in it returned you to life in the first game. Players would have had different roles in each game, and the puzzle for the players would involve figuring out who had to be dead in each game for both villages to win. Unfortunately that also turned out to be a puzzle for the host, and I couldn't figure out a way to satisfactorily implement it, so I went with the simpler "revenge" method seen here. For the most part I think it worked pretty well, although I know some of you weren't happy about being converted. Hopefully that concern has been laid to rest now that you know you actually won with your original win condition, too.

This game's version of seering was pretty limited, because I dislike the standard type of seering - it's very binary and can quickly stifle discussion. I gave MrTLicious one seering result because I was feeling bad that he'd essentially asked questions I wasn't willing to answer (no, I am not going to instantly tell you the names of all the mafia, sorry). What I was expecting for the role were mechanics questions - how does the black kill work? What conversions are in play? Things like that. Vague information that could help the village, without leading to an automatic death sentence for a player.

I think I am you. Like if your design philosophy died and then was reincarnated it would be me. You should host more games.
    ObiFett's Shadowdancer role was powerful, yes, but it was essentially the village's counterpart to the (also very powerful!) growing mafia-aligned ghost faction. The one part of the role that I'd change if I re-ran this game would be that the Shadowdancer either wouldn't be able to attack or wouldn't be able to receive weapon upgrades - an immortal network head is strong, but what was essentially an immortal vigilante is possibly too much. Being hit with so many kills also made it seem a relatively powerful role, but that's not necessarily an intrinsic strength - several of the ghosts (correctly) made the argument that attempting to kill him repeatedly would be a waste of their power. That said, Obi playing dead did backfire slightly for the village, in that it caused corvidae to waste a resurrection item on him. Then again, that resurrection made some of the ghosts think that Obi really had been killed that time.

I actually wound up being generally happy with the balance of this game, especially since my games are typically slanted wildly towards a mafia victory. I'm sure there's going to be disagreement there - I saw both villagers and mafia members saying that they felt like the game was an instant loss for them - but the end was actually remarkably close. Hell, there was literally one player left standing! What actually lost the game for the mafia, I think, wasn't ObiFett but were actually the low death counts for the first few nights. The serial killer spent his time alive in the pub (yes, there was a serial killer, and I actually messaged Saber to check that he'd spotted that he had a kill ability), the mafia doubled up their kill with the vote, were unlucky enough to hit some of the few tough to kill villagers with their attacks, and the vigilante either didn't send orders in or doubled up with the vote.

I think it was fairly balanced. The Dead board was OP and so was I. It was a fun game of immovable object meeting unstoppable force.

Yeah, me playing dead backfired HARD because had I not done then Corv would have rezzed a villager and we would have gotten some juicy dead board information.
    On the whole, though, I think this went pretty well - especially since it was the first time I've hosted in six years.

I hope you all enjoyed playing!

This was the most fun I've had in phalla in a long time. I loved the mindgames that just the existence of the dead board caused. Please host more games.

• Options
    Freaking corvidae

I am sorry I never trusted you, but I could not shake the dubious seer result and the fact that you were the third builder. Had you been the final bad guy I would have kicked myself forever so I had to attack you. :(

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You couldn't just let me live.

You had to kill me.

Bugger.

Thanks for running burnage

• Options

You had to kill me.

Bugger.

The last part makes me think that all the dead villagers won anyway.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I am disappointed that I never got to be a ghost...

IT'S MY GOD DAMN NAME! I AM A LEGION OF GHOSTS!

Also how many attacks were installed? I feel like everything in a HP game should deal damage instead of just straight up killing people but that's just me.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    @I needed a gnome to post. so were you just screwing with me on the dead boards that last day?

I mean if so then you succeeded because I almost went crazy these past couple hours.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I am disappointed that I never got to be a ghost...

IT'S MY GOD DAMN NAME! I AM A LEGION OF GHOSTS!

Also how many attacks were installed? I feel like everything in a HP game should deal damage instead of just straight up killing people but that's just me.

There was a vigilante, a serial killer, the mafia group kill and the ghost vote. Aside from that, everything was HP based.

• Options
    mafia

open your boards

• Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    thanks for running burnage....
    was an awesome ride for my first game back in years.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Congratulations on your win Bliss, and your loss rest-of-the-village.

Personally I thought the game was too much in the village's favour.
    What with:
    - True seeing of attackers
    - Symmetry of roles
    - So many roles that were both easily soft confirmable but which the mafia didn't have.
    - Whatever masoning was going on in the pub

Basically this game was a race between the mafia's kills and the village having enough information to confirm who the mafia was.

I guess the number of kills we wound up with made the game very close but there's was no real social deduction play here. Just pretending to claim and then being found out.

Still, props to WAC for claiming a role that didn't exist and not being called out on it.

This was also why we tried to kill Obifett on the penultimate night.
    It was the only path available to us that didn't necessarily doom WAC.
    Anything else would have either showed his colour on the kill feed or let Obi call him out immediately.

I also still think that Obi was our best chance at victory and that all the villagers should have ditched working with the village network as soon as he mentioned that everyone who died became anti-village.

• Options

You had to kill me.

Bugger.

Difference between winning and surviving.

Just once I'd like to survive a game.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I think the Shadowdancer would have been much more balanced if he couldn't have targeted or been targeted by anything -- essentially removing him as anything but a network head. That way, people couldn't assault him to confirm their alignment, he couldn't kill people with impunity, he couldn't distract the votes, etc.

I think trying to kill him with the dead vote made perfect thematic sense, so it's a bit disappointing to see that not only did it not kill him, but didn't even cripple his participation in any meaningful sense.

THAT BEING SAID, HOLY SHIT THIS GAME WAS FUN. Thanks for running, Burnage. :D

• Options
    :/

All I got to do all game was attack.
    I wanted to do some pirating.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular

You had to kill me.

Bugger.

Hopefully that concern has been laid to rest now that you know you actually won with your original win condition, too.

I think you're right. And if so that makes everything a whole lot more interesting. Does that mean the people that died would win no matter what? If the village won, the dead villagers win with the village. If the village lost, well that was the Ghost wincon so hey, they win again!

I think this game definitely falls under the "it's the journey, not the destination, that matters" so it probably doesn't matter much, but am still curious.

Also, @ObiFett did any of my last ditch efforts before death make any difference? This is purely an ego question.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

You had to kill me.

Bugger.

Difference between winning and surviving.

Just once I'd like to survive a game.

eh, surviving is hard! I basically only live on glorious mafia victories or self-guarding village roles :D

Thanks for running Burnage! It was crazy and fun!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Tbf, I asked what I could learn, and you told me "the names of the entire mafia"

I had a blast. Will have more thoughts when not on phone

• Options
    corvidae wrote: »
    thanks for running burnage....
    was an awesome ride for my first game back in years.

Hope you stick around! I don't know how much you networked with other folks but I enjoyed working with you!

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I think if the mortuary had been destroyed early this would have been an entirely different game. I for one certainly never, ever would have trusted Obi coming back from the dead with the story he had if it weren't for him repeatedly coming back from the dead green.

Great game either way, thanks Burnage! Do a Matrix one next! ;)

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Tbf, I asked what I could learn, and you told me "the names of the entire mafia"

I had a blast. Will have more thoughts when not on phone

Technically you asked "what is the most useful thing that I could learn tonight?"

And, well, that would be the most useful thing! Next time you should add in a "from the Cave" :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Q: what is the most useful thing that I could learn tonight?
    A: The most useful thing you could learn tonight would be the names of the six Death Cultists stalking Portend.

Yeah that sounds like "ask me seer questions!" Not mechanics

Also not sure why people were confused about number of Mafia left alive when burnage straight out said there's 6 total

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Congratulations on your win Bliss, and your loss rest-of-the-village.

Personally I thought the game was too much in the village's favour.
    What with:
    - True seeing of attackers
    - Symmetry of roles
    - So many roles that were both easily soft confirmable but which the mafia didn't have.
    - Whatever masoning was going on in the pub

Basically this game was a race between the mafia's kills and the village having enough information to confirm who the mafia was.

I guess the number of kills we wound up with made the game very close but there's was no real social deduction play here. Just pretending to claim and then being found out.

Still, props to WAC for claiming a role that didn't exist and not being called out on it.

This was also why we tried to kill Obifett on the penultimate night.
    It was the only path available to us that didn't necessarily doom WAC.
    Anything else would have either showed his colour on the kill feed or let Obi call him out immediately.

I also still think that Obi was our best chance at victory and that all the villagers should have ditched working with the village network as soon as he mentioned that everyone who died became anti-village.

It depends on if the dead village really would have won if the pirates were eliminated. Since it sounds like the dead village won with the village I imagine that we would NOT have won if the mafia won. Will depend on what @Burnage says of course but that seems to make sense to me.

• Options
    Cythraul wrote: »
    I think if the mortuary had been destroyed early this would have been an entirely different game. I for one certainly never, ever would have trusted Obi coming back from the dead with the story he had if it weren't for him repeatedly coming back from the dead green.

Blame kime for this.
    He killed one of our building sappers on the second night :(

• Options
    Cythraul wrote: »

I'm actually thinking of rerunning my old Cyberpunk one at some point soon. That one had some... uh... issues (just ask Egos), but a do-over with some changes could be really great.

• Options
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Q: what is the most useful thing that I could learn tonight?
    A: The most useful thing you could learn tonight would be the names of the six Death Cultists stalking Portend.

Yeah that sounds like "ask me seer questions!" Not mechanics

I think it was supposed to be more like "tricksy Genie" type stuff. Dunno how well the role PM indicated that or such.

Steam profile