USA Presidential Election 2016: Straight Outta Breitbart

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    was Irish chattel slavery a thing in the US or are they drawing a false equivalence between Irish second-class status and black slavery

False equivalence, essentially. It's historical revisionism vaguely based on the Irish second-class status and the assumption that indentured servitude was the same as, or even worse, than slavery.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    was Irish chattel slavery a thing in the US or are they drawing a false equivalence between Irish second-class status and black slavery

The latter

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    This is a very thorough debunking of the Irish Slave meme by the person whose tweet I posted:
    https://medium.com/@Limerick1914/the-imagery-of-the-irish-slaves-myth-dissected-143e70aa6e74#.7yt9ugev1

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    great, thanks y'all

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    When you start picking at that particular scab, you get people saying that indentured servitude was never really a thing, and the Irish were actually slaves with even less rights than black slaves. Like, remembering our history of indentured servitude and the other peoples that we have attempted to exploit - either as a slave workforce or otherwise - is important, but not all forms of exploitation are equal. Adding in the revisionist qualities just makes it a blatantly racist statement though.

And, of course, Irish people are now considered white, which as far as reparations go, white privilege pretty much tops the list.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

I found this link
    In short, the "Irish slaves" myth argues that the first slaves brought to the Americas were Irish, that they were white, and that this fact, covered up by liberal historians, undermines the legacy of the African slave trade and proves that modern theories of racial inferiority are true.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If we’re talking about slavery as it was practiced on Africans in the United States—that is, hereditary chattel slavery—then the answer is a clear no. As historian and public librarian Liam Hogan writes in a paper titled “The Myth of ‘Irish Slaves’ in the Colonies,” “Persons from Ireland have been held in various forms of human bondage throughout history, but they have never been chattel slaves in the West Indies.” Nor is there any evidence of Irish chattel slavery in the North American colonies. There were a large number of Irish indentured servants, and there were cases in which Irish men and women were sentenced to indentured servitude in the “new world” and forcibly shipped across the Atlantic. But even involuntary laborers had more autonomy than enslaved Africans, and the large majority of Irish indentured servants came here voluntarily.
    Slate

Liam Hogan seems to be the go-to historian for debunking this. He's got interviews with Al Jazeera and the Southern Poverty Law Center where he talks about how it's all made up and used to shut down talk about actual racism.

Narbus on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    How do you legislate against people going to the pub

Why doI have to live my life for the benefit of people who have kids

Doesn't society fucking lionise them enough

Damn them for continuing society!

We're not really at a point where our numbers are so low that we need to raise breeders as heroes

Quite the opposite in fact

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Man

Biden has a particular quality to his speech where his cadence, his rhythm, his emphasis very much echoes a pastor speaking to his congregation

He sounds almost exactly like the pastor of my church from when I was a kid

dN0T6ur.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    This going out to bars and restaurants and golf games is huge in the big-firm Consulting world. "Networking" is a big part of how you get promoted, though I wouldn't say it's mandatory. It's just all the really successful people happen to do a lot of it... It's also how you get business, as it turns out.

e- Basically success is about 50% schmoozing and 50% doing a good job for your clients for a high-level consultant

El Skid on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    How do you legislate against people going to the pub

Why doI have to live my life for the benefit of people who have kids

Doesn't society fucking lionise them enough

Damn them for continuing society!

We're not really at a point where our numbers are so low that we need to raise breeders as heroes

Quite the opposite in fact

I was going to let that first thing go but sure, ok, here we go.

Having kids is a choice, yes. It's not exactly necessary for the survival of the species, no. But all the same, having kids is a good, important, necessary thing that some people do.

Those people that have children are responsible for the actual survival and then emotional and mental well being of an entire human being, or more than one. Women especially, but men too in some cases, have to make extremely difficult choices about their careers when they decide to have children, and I don't think it's unreasonable to try to address that. What Corbyn did was ham-fisted and probably ineffective but what he said touches on a Real Thing.
    Also if anyone calls me a breeder to my face I will push them into fucking traffic. Yes, even you.

Yeah breeder was the wrong word, I forgot about the slur connotations

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Whenever I hear breeder I think of those childfree dorks

and all the wonderful hilarious euphemisms they have for kids

like it's okay to not have kids or not like kids, whatever

but do you gotta be such a prick about it

• POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    you walk a few miles, the egg hatches, you trade the kid in for candy because you've already got a bunch just like it and you repeat the process. nothing to it, don't see what all the fuss is about

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Some people with kids are totally pricks about those who don't have or want them too

It's fair to say there is often a subset of people in a group who validate their life choices by being a prick about it.

Moriveth wrote: »
    Whenever I hear breeder I think of those childfree dorks

and all the wonderful hilarious euphemisms they have for kids

like it's okay to not have kids or not like kids, whatever

I believe its origins are as a counter slur for gay people to use.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    DIdn't realize that was a thing

What, racism?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Oh most definitely, about any and every thing

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Some people with kids are totally pricks about those who don't have or want them too

It's fair to say there is often a subset of people in a group who validate their life choices by being a prick about it.

Oh yeah totally, people with kids can be assholes too, especially when someone doesn't have kids and they're like HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT KIDS THEY'RE PRECIOUS PERFECT ANGELS

which

look

I love my kids

but kids can be monumental assholes, and they are little biological vacuums for disease, time, and money

BIASED OPINION INCOMING

Seems to me that there's levels. There's the shit you get about not wanting kids and yeah, it's shitty.

But then there's people that call babies crotch droppings and worse and get super shitty to little kids in public because they're being little kids, and at that point you're directing your shit stream at people who actually can't defend themselves or their existence and really shouldn't have to, and to me that's a whole other ball game.

The Irish slave meme equivocates indentured servitude with chattel slavery, based on what I've read in the Twitter thread

Which was basically unheard of post revolution, lasted 3 years with substantial legal protections and was almost always the result of a criminal conviction or undertaken voluntarily.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    DIdn't realize that was a thing

What, racism?
    Just that specific manifestation of it

And holy shit is it gross on so many levels

IKknkhU.gif
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    some folk simply down have the spoons to raise a kid, too

because I know I would not be a consistent parent, and that would be a bad time for everyone

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)

Do people really get offended by that? It seems like the equivalent of "cracker."

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    Dubh wrote: »
    some folk simply down have the spoons to raise a kid, too

because I know I would not be a consistent parent, and that would be a bad time for everyone

I'd really only ever want one, if any

IKknkhU.gif

Do people really get offended by that? It seems like the equivalent of "cracker."

Well why speculate, hey @Peen do you get offended when someone calls you a breeder

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    "why would people get offended by a word intended to offend them specifically" has always seemed like such a silly question

is it also a mystery why telling someone to get fucked might offend them

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

BIASED OPINION INCOMING

Seems to me that there's levels. There's the shit you get about not wanting kids and yeah, it's shitty.

But then there's people that call babies crotch droppings and worse and get super shitty to little kids in public because they're being little kids, and at that point you're directing your shit stream at people who actually can't defend themselves or their existence and really shouldn't have to, and to me that's a whole other ball game.

Yeah because you have kids so it is personally more offensive to you but I guarantee you other people feel the opposite way around.

Personally I don't really want kids but I will have them if my partner wants to and I'm designed to love them by millions of years of evolution so I am not worried about it.

Breeder feels like one of those terms that people who complain about "welfare queens" love to use.

Just, like, super condescending.

IKknkhU.gif

Someone literally just did (not unreasonably

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    What if I say it like

"So, you're a breeder? ;)"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Look, my daughter is wonderful and smart and hilarious

but also the other night she screamed herself nearly sick because she didn't want me to put her to bed, even though Rachel couldn't (because her screaming woke Niko), and literally nobody else wanted to lie down with her but me, and she pretty much needs someone to lie down with her to go to sleep

kids are ridiculous

That seems more frightening than offensive, still not good

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Have you seen the new TGIFriday's design?

rest_fridays_prototype_corpuschristi.jpg

You can scream now.

on the subject of tgif, the singular thing that sets me off is, is that a fucking loveseat at that table? what the fuck?

everything else i can stomach but that is unconscionable

if i show up to your dining establishment and you lead me to a couch you got at the furniture barn i am about facing and marching out the door without a word

Theres a place by my buddy called Brickhouse and it has couch seats and oh my god they are heaven to sit in and eat pork chops

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    What if I say it like

"So, you're a breeder? ;)"
    Super creepy and bad!

CYpGAPn.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Whenever I hear the slur Breeder I immediately think AAAWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGAAAAA

AAAAAWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOGGAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAWWWWWWOOOOOOOOGGAAAAAAAAAA

dun dundun

dun dundun

dun dundundundun duh duh dundundun

dun dundundundun duh duh dundundun

duh dundundundun duh dundun tss

Not in this case but in most people that use the word breeder also say the most awful insensitive things about babies and little kids. As someone who has two little kids I react to that on multiple levels:

1. Babies and small children are fundamentally helpless and absolutely harmless. They're just here, living, breathing, doing baby and little kid stuff. You can have a problem with that if you aren't comfortable with that or if a parent's doing a bad job of controlling their kids but point your anger at the parents, not the children.

2. Genetically and emotionally I'm primed to do maximum harm to anyone who gives my kids crap, and to a lesser degree anyone else's kids. Having children profoundly alters your life and it colors the way you react to everything, sometimes for the good and sometimes not.

When someone calls me a breeder what they're actually doing is saying that I made a bad choice by having kids and that by extension my kids have no value and I disagree with that in every way.

Well there you have it, don't fuckin call people names I guess

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Breeder is especially hostile to women, because it debases them as nothing more than child-bearers. There's also the inherent hostility towards individuals who choose to be a full-time parent.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
This discussion has been closed.