As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godzilla and other, less important Kaiju

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Seems like it's on Amazon Video in the US?

It's included in Prime in Europe

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Amazon has it for a 4 dollar rental.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Okay so remember when hulk did car boxing gloves

What will kong make boxing gloves from

I hope its a battleship

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I bought the bluray for shin godzilla in a walmart.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I hope its a battleship

Pair of 7-11's for brand synergy purposes

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Is Charles Dance better at acting than Tom Hiddleston is at being sexy?

Yes

But then I don't that's very hard

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I hope its a battleship

Kong doesn't seem like he's that big.
    I could see him going the Pacific Rim method and using a handful of shipping containers, but a battleship?

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    Kong should stab someone with the empire state building

• Options
    Kong breaks into the History of Flight museum and dual wields bi-planes

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I watched godzilla '54 and ate those cookies shaped like tiny cheeseburgers.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Kong breaks into the History of Flight museum and dual wields bi-planes

When the planes run out of ammo he can connect them with a chain and use them as nunchucks.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    As one does

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is there some sort of well-known time formula to movie trailer pacing? weird that they sync up like that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That trailer has been edited. But trailers in general are pretty formulaic, especially when it comes to pacing.

• Options
    Huh, apparently in the lead-up to Kong there was a timeline of Monarch events, which hint at the known monsters for King of the Monsters.. and maybe a few unknown ones.

I bolded the interesting entries.
    1915 - SPLITTING OF THE ATOM -
    Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity ultimately leads to the splitting of the atom and the dawn of the atomic age. The epoch-defining stage in human evolution will act as a beacon that awakens ancient superspecies sustained by nuclear energy.

1943 - THE U.S.S. LAWTON INCIDENT - [incomplete entry]
    [Godzilla attacks the U.S.S. Lawton] Haunted by the memory of that day, Randa will go on to become MONARCH's foremost operatives, searching for the truth behind ancient creatures that exist beneath the surface of the world.

1946 - MONARCH FOUNDED -
    After the cover-up of the U.S.S. Lawton incident, President Truman unofficially establishes "MONARCH unit", a small, off-book research team established to engage in the systematic study of "Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms". Privately, many of Truman's allies question the validity of the group's theories and work to keep their existence secret.

1952 - THE GREAT SMOG OF LONDON -
    Baffling meteorologists and defying atmospheric physicists, this unexplained phenomenon saw London's streets overwhelmed by huge clouds of air-polluting smoke. MONARCH theorizes that the beating wings of a giant creature could have created an anticyclone that unleashed airborne pollutants across the city.

1959 - SIBERIAN MYSTERY -
    At the height of the Cold War, aerial photography taken from a Russian spy plane reveals a huge containment facility established around an ice cap in Siberia. The MONARCH symbol can be seen emblazoned across the canopy of the structure.

1973 - MISSION: SKULL -
    MONARCH surreptitiously Landsat and the 2st Aviation Brigade, 3rd Assault Helicopter Company, to mount an expedition to the mythical "Skull Island" in an uncharted corner of the South Pacific. Encountering the god-like superspecies known as Kong, they soon discover that mankind does not belong here.

1991 - ISLA DE MONA -
    The covert MONARCH team establishes a quarantine zone around the island's dormant volcano, under the guise of 'environmental research'. Over the coming years what began as a small scientific outpost will expand to become a full containment facility around the mouth of the volcano.

1995 - RETURN TO SKULL ISLAND -
    MONARCH security officer Aaron Brooks defies his father Houston Brooks and leads an off-the-books mission to Skull Island, to determine what has become of Kong since the 1973 expedition.

1999 - JANJIRA MELTDOWN -

2005 - A MYSTERIOUS MERCENARY -
    Former British Army Colonel and MI-6 agent Jonah Alan is locked up in Pakistani prison after an encounter with MONARCH agents. Alan and his band of mercenary accomplises were caught trying to breach the walls of a subterranean M.U.T.O. dig-site.

2009 - TEMPLE OF THE MOTH -
    Mythographic studies of Chinese temples leads MONARCH to the high-altitude jungles of the Unnan Province. Dr. Emma Russell and her team follow a mysterious bio-acoustic signature to a previously undiscovered megalithic temple, within which lies a gigantic cocoon. A quickening heartbeat is detected inside.

2012 - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE -
    Days before retirement, MONARCH veteran Houston Brooks receives a coded message from his son. The mission to Skull Island has revealed dramatic new information about Kong's origins, and his role on the island.

2014 - THE BATTLE OF SAN FRANCISCO -
    The existence of giant superspecies is revealed to the world as Godzilla clashes with the two M.U.T.O.s in the center of San Francisco. Unleashing devastation upon the urban center, the world watches as Godzilla defends our world and restores balance to the natural order. The time has come for MONARCH to step out of the shadows.

2016 - MONSTER ZERO -
    When MONARCH discover an extraordinary superspecies sealed beneath the Antarctic ice sheet, Dr. Vivienne Graham leads the effort to build a covert containment and research facility around the dormant creature. Her classified field notes contain a mysterious footnote: "The devil has three heads."

Speculation
    The events in the UK and Russia may coorepsond to Monarch sites at http://www.monarchsciences.com

The 1995 and 2012 entries are references to the Skull Island: Birth of Kong comic, apparently.

Pollution monster? Hedorah maybe?

Super curious what's up with that mention of the MI-6 agent, given that name doesn't refer to any existing character yet. (I thought it was Hiddleston's character until I looked up his name.

Finally, I just noticed on the Godzilla tracker at Monarch Sciences, he's near a monarch site in the south pacific, which is where Kong's island is!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm very curious what could be in Siberia. It's not Ghidorah, he's in Antarctica.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Speculation
    The events in the UK and Russia may coorepsond to Monarch sites at http://www.monarchsciences.com

The 1995 and 2012 entries are references to the Skull Island: Birth of Kong comic, apparently.

Super curious what's up with that mention of the MI-6 agent, given that name doesn't refer to any existing character yet. (I thought it was Hiddleston's character until I looked up his name.

Finally, I just noticed on the Godzilla tracker at Monarch Sciences, he's near a monarch site in the south pacific, which is where Kong's island is!
    Jonah Alan was listed on Wikipedia as the name of Charles Dance's character, I think, but it's been removed now

• Options
    Huh, apparently in the lead-up to Kong there was a timeline of Monarch events, which hint at the known monsters for King of the Monsters.. and maybe a few unknown ones.

I bolded the interesting entries.
    1915 - SPLITTING OF THE ATOM -
    Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity ultimately leads to the splitting of the atom and the dawn of the atomic age. The epoch-defining stage in human evolution will act as a beacon that awakens ancient superspecies sustained by nuclear energy.

1943 - THE U.S.S. LAWTON INCIDENT - [incomplete entry]
    [Godzilla attacks the U.S.S. Lawton] Haunted by the memory of that day, Randa will go on to become MONARCH's foremost operatives, searching for the truth behind ancient creatures that exist beneath the surface of the world.

1946 - MONARCH FOUNDED -
    After the cover-up of the U.S.S. Lawton incident, President Truman unofficially establishes "MONARCH unit", a small, off-book research team established to engage in the systematic study of "Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms". Privately, many of Truman's allies question the validity of the group's theories and work to keep their existence secret.

1952 - THE GREAT SMOG OF LONDON -
    Baffling meteorologists and defying atmospheric physicists, this unexplained phenomenon saw London's streets overwhelmed by huge clouds of air-polluting smoke. MONARCH theorizes that the beating wings of a giant creature could have created an anticyclone that unleashed airborne pollutants across the city.

1959 - SIBERIAN MYSTERY -
    At the height of the Cold War, aerial photography taken from a Russian spy plane reveals a huge containment facility established around an ice cap in Siberia. The MONARCH symbol can be seen emblazoned across the canopy of the structure.

1973 - MISSION: SKULL -
    MONARCH surreptitiously Landsat and the 2st Aviation Brigade, 3rd Assault Helicopter Company, to mount an expedition to the mythical "Skull Island" in an uncharted corner of the South Pacific. Encountering the god-like superspecies known as Kong, they soon discover that mankind does not belong here.

1991 - ISLA DE MONA -
    The covert MONARCH team establishes a quarantine zone around the island's dormant volcano, under the guise of 'environmental research'. Over the coming years what began as a small scientific outpost will expand to become a full containment facility around the mouth of the volcano.

1995 - RETURN TO SKULL ISLAND -
    MONARCH security officer Aaron Brooks defies his father Houston Brooks and leads an off-the-books mission to Skull Island, to determine what has become of Kong since the 1973 expedition.

1999 - JANJIRA MELTDOWN -

2005 - A MYSTERIOUS MERCENARY -
    Former British Army Colonel and MI-6 agent Jonah Alan is locked up in Pakistani prison after an encounter with MONARCH agents. Alan and his band of mercenary accomplises were caught trying to breach the walls of a subterranean M.U.T.O. dig-site.

2009 - TEMPLE OF THE MOTH -
    Mythographic studies of Chinese temples leads MONARCH to the high-altitude jungles of the Unnan Province. Dr. Emma Russell and her team follow a mysterious bio-acoustic signature to a previously undiscovered megalithic temple, within which lies a gigantic cocoon. A quickening heartbeat is detected inside.

2012 - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE -
    Days before retirement, MONARCH veteran Houston Brooks receives a coded message from his son. The mission to Skull Island has revealed dramatic new information about Kong's origins, and his role on the island.

2014 - THE BATTLE OF SAN FRANCISCO -
    The existence of giant superspecies is revealed to the world as Godzilla clashes with the two M.U.T.O.s in the center of San Francisco. Unleashing devastation upon the urban center, the world watches as Godzilla defends our world and restores balance to the natural order. The time has come for MONARCH to step out of the shadows.

2016 - MONSTER ZERO -
    When MONARCH discover an extraordinary superspecies sealed beneath the Antarctic ice sheet, Dr. Vivienne Graham leads the effort to build a covert containment and research facility around the dormant creature. Her classified field notes contain a mysterious footnote: "The devil has three heads."

Speculation

T-Hid's name was Conrad, because Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Hate to tell you this, bit there is a very good chance Kong is going to be the champion of those colonizing forces pretty soon.

I feel it's more likely that, whatever is going to go down, Godzilla can only be on one coast/island/etc at a time, and it's likely that Kong will have his own separate battles elsewhere, at least starting out. Mutual conflict, etc.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I'm going through old toho films, most of which I'm watching for the first time. So far I've just watched the first two godzilla flicks

Godzilla: Knowing where the series winds up, it's fascinating how utterly straight, and darkly, this movie plays the concept, and for this film it totally works. The suit looks goofy as hell, but the build-up before you see it is great and even with it's flaws, they do a great job shooting it during Godzilla's rampages. (Better than the military; those planes shoot like two dozen missiles at him and they miss. How do you miss something that big! :)) The oxygen destroyer plot device is kind of hand-wavey, but they give Dr. Serizawa some decent pathos about it.

Godzilla Raids Again: While the first film's seriousness worked great, I think it falls apart here. When Godzilla is lumbering around in the first movie, you can kind of get over the fact that it's a guy in a rubber suit because they shoot with that fact in mind, but when he's tangling with Angilas, the movement is so fast and goofy that it works against the tone of the flick. You can see why they became more monster mashy and eventually kiddy in later films. The brief side-plot with the criminals kinda comes out of left field too and is super weird. (Also is the fact that there's apparently just a second godzilla hanging around.)

Next up is Rodan!

EDIT: Rodan opens up with two characters named Yoshi and Goro getting into a fight. This amuses me.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I'm going through old toho films, most of which I'm watching for the first time. So far I've just watched the first two godzilla flicks

Godzilla: Knowing where the series winds up, it's fascinating how utterly straight, and darkly, this movie plays the concept, and for this film it totally works. The suit looks goofy as hell, but the build-up before you see it is great and even with it's flaws, they do a great job shooting it during Godzilla's rampages. (Better than the military; those planes shoot like two dozen missiles at him and they miss. How do you miss something that big! :)) The oxygen destroyer plot device is kind of hand-wavey, but they give Dr. Serizawa some decent pathos about it.

Godzilla Raids Again: While the first film's seriousness worked great, I think it falls apart here. When Godzilla is lumbering around in the first movie, you can kind of get over the fact that it's a guy in a rubber suit because they shoot with that fact in mind, but when he's tangling with Angilas, the movement is so fast and goofy that it works against the tone of the flick. You can see why they became more monster mashy and eventually kiddy in later films. The brief side-plot with the criminals kinda comes out of left field too and is super weird. (Also is the fact that there's apparently just a second godzilla hanging around.)

Next up is Rodan!

EDIT: Rodan opens up with two characters named Yoshi and Goro getting into a fight. This amuses me.

Anguirus.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018

Next up is Rodan!

Anguirus.

Well you missed correcting Gojira as well.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Uh I think you all mean Gigantis, the fire monster.

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »

Next up is Rodan!

Anguirus.

Well you missed correcting Gojira as well.

Gojira is his correct name, yes. But Anguirus is Anguirus in America. Shit translation be damned.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

I know Kong is gonna get bigger I just love this image so much

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Next up is Rodan!

Anguirus.

Blame the translation I was using, I guess.

• Options
    My bearded dragon is named Anguirus, so I take that shit serious, yo. I actually read up on why you thought that was his name and was surprised to find out the American subtitles really used that name. No idea why that surprised me.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

The thing is we already saw Kong take on Godzilla once already.

It was literally the third Godzilla movie!

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I can't wait to see Japan make Shin Mothra, Shin Rodan and Shin Monster Zero.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Shin Mothra sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Shin Mothra is just Battra

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shin Ghidorah is actually a really sweet guy

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I just want to see how fucked up baby Shin Mothra looks like, because I feel there's solid potential there considering how fucked up baby Shin Godzilla looked like when we first saw him

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Shin Mothra is just Battra

got battra just rules so hard

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So, a few days ago I watched Godzilla 2014 with my 9-year-old son. And then we watched the Godzilla: King of the Monsters trailer a few times. And tonight we saw Kong: Skull Island. And after that he drew this (and, knowing I spend quite a lot of time reading these forums, asked me to post it here). Seems like he has a favorite in the upcoming monsters :)

Hopefully the pic isn't too big!

eevqczlf1vnh.jpg

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    that is like... the platonic ideal of "crudely drawn artwork of monsters trashing a city by a young child." And I mean that in the kindest way. That's sick.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

and King Kong won, baby

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2018
    that is like... the platonic ideal of "crudely drawn artwork of monsters trashing a city by a young child." And I mean that in the kindest way. That's sick.

I know exactly what you mean :) It's super difficult to try and be objective about something your child has made, I just love the fallen, burning building and the red sky (presumably because everything else is burning too). And the happy faces of King Ghidorah :D

DrCongo on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

and King Kong won, baby

In the localization.

X22wmuF.jpg