As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    After the call ends Danny gives an intent sigh. "Primo." he says, to no one in particular, hoping he wasn't being too vague for Alex to catch his drift. After pondering a second he texts Max:
    "Nosferatu Primogen. Play it cool. Awaiting instructions."

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    "I fully expected to offer little more than information to the Regentia, so delivering beyond that will be an exceptional success." Deke pauses a moment. "She is already aware the Nosferatu survive, but beyond that and the fact that you have scattered, I cannot say."

"Without a doubt she is now aware of your continued presence in the city," Deke says. He smiles slightly. "Sorry about that."

"Perhaps it would be a good idea to share some of those stories with us, so that we may well and truly convince the Regentia your threat has all of your attention," Deke concludes. "It is not like I have slept well since Magdalena Embraced me."

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    "Do what you will. I merely came to offer our side of the story, as it were. Our priority remains, as ever, survival. If the Tremere prove to be a threat to that, they will see how limited their blessed insight truly is. ...though it comes as little surprise that she is aware. Her reaction should be one to behold. If it is information you wish, then I am glad to share. I typically request a fair trade for such knowledge, but as this will do you little good, consider it a gift. You may find that not all knowledge is powerful. Sometimes it can remind of us our weaknesses." Emmett pauses, peering off into the corner at some unseen point in the shadows, before returning his attention to Deke.

"The tales spun by the Camarilla's elders spin are either lies or flights of delusional fancy. The Eldest Founders are real. Whatever forms they deign to take are unknown to us, and I'd rather never learn. We only know of Nosferatu's. His direct childer, the Nictuku, pursue us from the brightest city street to the darkest depths of the underground. We don't know their goals, only that when they come, entire warrens are wiped out. The fortunate victims are never seen again. Those that remain... are no longer the same. We suspect, whether through your dear Prince's influence or otherwise, one has arrived here. This bodes especially ill for us, but your city will not escape unscathed. It will destroy entire boroughs, mere collateral damage. Kine and mortal property mean nothing to beasts so far removed from humanity. Such beasts are destructive force incarnate. And if one has come here, gang violence will be the least of your concerns. I would sooner spend an evening in the care of the Kuei-Jin than in a warren knowing one of the Nictuku approach."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    When it was obvious the Nosferatu was going to start talking, he starts one if his recorders, so that they can go over the information later. His phone beeps, and he looks at the screen. (he does this all one handed, the hand with the pistol still hidden behind the seat. He now has no intention of using, and will keep it hidden until Emmett is gone) His eyebrows raise, the only indication that he has read anything of import. After he listens to the Nosferatu's tale, one obvious question rises up first.

"You say you have no idea what they want. I don't suppose you have any information on how to mollify them. Or redirect them somewhere else? Presumably, fighting them is pointless"

• Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog listened to the Emmett and the others speak as he drove them to his small basement apartments in Astoria.

There was little on the bare white walls besides some old motorcycle and tattoo babe calendars and a small television. The space was dominated by some old couches and a weight set. On a small kitchen table there were a couple guns partially cleaned.

Bulldog did his best to make room for the group, grabbing up dirty clothes off the couches and throwing them in the corner.

“Wish I had known all this before I sent the others away. Deke’s right, by now the Prince knows, and may have the… kine as well.” Bulldog rubs his eyes.

“Something doesn’t make sense to me though. If the Tremere were the ones to sick the Nictuku on you, why does the Prince send us to get more info on it, why not just let it lie?”

“She may not want the Nos back in charge, but she sure seemed worried you were gone”

“I can see the motive, but do you have any proof that the Tremere are involved?”

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alex drives silently as Danny makes a call and explains a bit of their situation. The Nosferatu itself was troubling but picking up some of the conversation as they walked into Bulldog's apartment, it sure sounded like they were tossed in deep into something that was well beyond normal day to day vampire society troubles.

Keeping the magnum pressed against their prisoner's back as he drove him inside with the group, he waited silently there as well. They needed more information before they could take action and right now it seemed like this Emmet person was the only way they were getting it.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    "May I? Thank you." With the presumed acceptance, Emmett lowers himself into the nearest sofa, making himself as comfortable as can be, appearing right at home. Compared to the warrens, the apartment may as well be a five star hotel. He firstly addresses Max's question. "Well, we do have an idea of what they want. All of us dead. Beyond that, who can say. They are mindless, driven monsters. They can be misdirected, yes, but that is no easy task. Negotiation is an impossibility. Fighting them is not pointless, no. However, it has been said that the combined might of an entire city is a prerequisite for taking on a Nictuku. And that's to be on an even playing field." Emmett then shifts his attention to Bulldog.

"We know much, but still little of use about how a Tremere's mind works. Perhaps she hoped you'd take care of us first and ask questions later. Maybe she truly had no idea we were involved, though that would mean we would have to reconsider our estimates of her intellect. Oh, she missed us? How sweet." Emmett makes an unpleasant sound somewhere between a hacking retch and a scoff. "If you want hard evidence, I have none. But we favor connecting the dots, and the timing of all the events paints an unpleasant portrait of your dear Prince, indeed."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

Elizabeth had been quiet for the whole ride. She listened to the Nosferatu, thinking about the events of the night and Emmett's story.

"So wait a minute while I get this straight.
    The city was yours and your clan's to dictate.
    Your people are known for being able to gather any secret in the night.
    But the Nosferatu ran from your duties as leaders, afraid to fight?
    Do you not have evidence to show what the Tremere are doing to you?
    Also, something else that makes me wonder if you are true,
    Why do you have your lackeys attacking a Cam nightclub?
    Especially with you knowing how wrong that will rub."

• Options
    edited November 2016
    When Alex, Danny and the prisoner show up at his place, Bulldog gives Danny a puzzled look, then shakes his head. "What the he- never mind, probably for the best."

"The Nosferatu attacked the Cam properies for revenge. Payback for the Tremere supposedly sicking their ancient hunters on them." Bulldog said to Liz.

"Julia only wanted us to engage if the attackers were Triad. We... jumped the gun. But I think the Prince thought it could be Nosferatu or your hunters also." Bulldog said to Emmett, nodding.

"It sounds to me like the Nictuku are the biggest threat here. Regardless of how they got here, if we need the whole city to take them on, you need the help of the Prince, not her anger. I doubt trying to take on the Tremere with the Nictuku on your tails turns out well. Of course that assumes they could be trusted to help, or convinced of the threat."

"I don't see how we fit into this. Revenge sounds good and all, but we don't have much of anything to gain going against the Prince, and a lot to lose. But if you're right about the hunters, then the whole city stands to lose if we ignore them."

"The only thing I can think to do is try and convince the Cam, the Prince, maybe even the Kuei-Jin, of the threat. Do you have any proof? More stories, books?"

Boozer on
  • Options
    Deke has settled in on the weight bench and takes it all in and finally sighs. "I think we have a difficult task before us convincing the entire Camarilla of the threat at their doorstep, Bulldog. We should triage."

He glances at Emmett. "I know what your answer is likely to be and you've already helped us significantly. In return I can offer only a very little: access to the Opticon's back doors. The building has excellent access to and from the sewers of Midtown; I saw to that myself. Given time I may be able to secure apartments for you and your retainers, but that is a big ask of my father and I will have to do things for him, I am certain."

"However I think even your Nictuku would hesitate to seek you so far above the streets among the glitterati. The Regentia certainly would not," Deke says.

"The more pressing matter is convincing our own Primogen that the threat is real and may rend the city; Kenneth strikes me as averse to difficulty. I am afraid I have no good read on the others." Deke pulls out his smartphone and begins tapping away.
    Geth, roll 5d10o10h8 for Int + Politics

Int + Politics:
    5d10o10h8 2 [5d10o10h8=4, 8, 3, 4, 9]

• Options
    "You would call us cowards, Lunatic?" It doesn't take long for Emmett to lose any semblance of pleasantry as he sharply turns towards Elizabeth. "You don't know what you speak of. Your veil of madness is no excuse to speak such foolishness. Stay silent unless matters concern you." He then puts the woman out of his mind as one would a ranting toddler before turning back to Bulldog. "The loss of the attackers is of little concern. A ghoul and two kine. Well, one so far. I would take the ghoul's demise as a graver slight were he not foolish, and he was a fool indeed." A dismissive wave of the hand. "The fate of the rest does not trouble me.

You show some wisdom, which is a welcome trait, especially with having to contend with much foolishness. But you misunderstand the intention. We do not wish to 'take on the Tremere', merely to reclaim which is rightly ours. The Nosferatu left the city to protect our kind. Not to leave Calebros' realm ripe for the plundering, which is precisely what appears to be happening in his absence. If he retakes command, we are in a better position to fend off the Nictuku. I do not expect your Prince will be particularly sympathetic to our plight, much less willing to dedicate resources to hunting 'mythological beasts'. Proof? Hmm." The creature taps a taloned finger against the arm of the sofa.

"We have tales stretching back throughout the ages. We keep such stories more to the spoken word to the written, for reasons which I trust need no explanation. If you believe the Tremere can be persuaded to assist, then godspeed. But forgive me if I do not share your optimism."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Elizabeth Hailion

"I never said that you were a coward
    But why not fight when your clan was powered?
    You could have called on many to your aid
    Surely you had allies had you stayed."

"I understand your clan faced many hazards,
    But it seems like running was a step backwards."

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Danny gives Bulldog an apologetic shrug and gestures in such a way as to imply he'll be just outside keeping watch. He finds a place to lean and lights a cigarette as a means of cover.
    Geth roll 7d10o10h8 for Keeping Watch

Keeping Watch:
    7d10o10h8 1 [7d10o10h8=1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 8, 2]

• Options
    “The Nictuku are here, and threaten everyone. But Liz is right, how is being in power now going to help when it didn’t before? Is it cause you’re ready now?” Bulldog says, pacing.

“Not sure what you expect us to do Emmett, and I don’t know about the rest of you, but I ain’t interested in turning on the Prince based on a hunch. The timing is shady, but putting us on the case still don’t still make sense if the Prince is responsible.” The biker says, as he absentmindedly finishes cleaing and putting away the pistols left on his small table.

“I want to know who left the breadcrumbs for the Nictuku. Then smash those fuckers for it. Where can we find out more about the breadcrumbs?”

• Options
    "There is a long-standing rule amongst the Nosferatu. When you see the shadow of the founder in the hall, you do not want to be home when it comes knocking. To ensure the safety of the New York Warren's members, we fled rather than risk certain obliteration. When learning of what has happened in our absence, Calebros was less than amused. So this is less 'we are now ready' and more 'better to return and regain power than flee and let the city burn'. So to speak."

Emmett observes the firearms with thought, as if considering their purpose, but doesn't appear otherwise threatened. "I suppose you could always see the warrens for yourself. One of our watchers reported beasts of unnatural ken arriving from the depths, and we took that as a cue to assume the worst. It may be that our presumption of Tremere involvement is anecdotal, yes, but even were the Pyramid not directly responsible, they have much to answer for. I understand not all are particularly fond of the Regentia's rule, anyway. We have our sources from within her circle, as I'm sure you've surmised. This also lends credence to our suspicions of foul play."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max holsters his pistol as everyone is getting out of the van. Once inside, he finds a wall to lean against, closes his eyes as he listens to Emmett, deep in thought. "I'm just going to put out there that a war amongst the Camarilla would benefit many, and destroy much of what you've built. There is also the matter of the exact nature of the Nictuku, because they don't sound like a discriminating bunch. They may come after the rest of us for whatever reason.

Let's find more about them before we underestimate them."

• Options
    "We were hoping to keep this from turning into a war and make the reclaiming of the city as... bloodless as possible. As you can tell that has not gone so well. But if you wish to learn, I am willing to teach... to an extent. Though I doubt their interests would extend to your coterie. Unless you stood in their way, of course."

After some time passes, Danny receives a very simple text from the same number as before: "Bring him in."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Danny texts Max again since he isn't sure who, if anyone, was made aware of the previous message.
    "Upstairs says 'Bring him in.' Probably better if we can do that on his terms."
    He moves closer to the entrance, expecting things to go poorly.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Max reads his phone. He looks at it a second, collects his thoughts to form an argument, and then looks up. "If you truly wish to make the reclamation... seamless, or bloodless as you say, you will eventually need to negotiate with the people who are now in charge. How about we see if there is any room for compromise, before we expand the... hopefully unnecessary destruction?"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Bulldog's head was spinning with all the political and historical bullshit. "It's been a long night Emmett, what exactly do you want from us?"

"If the Tremere are responsible for the Nictuku that's one thing, but I'm not the type get in the middle of this beef based on hunches and stories and dots. But who knows if that's what you're even going for."

Bulldog turned to the rest of the coterie "I'm not sure what the rest of you guys want to do, I want to know if the Tremere really are behind the Nictuku. But after everything we've heard, going down into the Warrens sounds like a shitload of trouble. No point if we don't all think it's worth it."

• Options
    "I am not of the belief that negotiating with the current ruler will do much, if any, good. You can take what I've told you to the Regentia and see if she'll act. I wouldn't hold my breath were I you." The creature finally rises from the sofa, once again focusing on Bulldog. "I merely wished to speak my piece, and see if your coterie would understand our predicament, and perhaps even assist us in its resolution. If your loyalties to the Prince are to remain, then so be it. I can only hope we do not cross paths in a manner where one of us is an obstacle to the other. One way or another, our troubles will find you. It is just a question of how you choose to confront them."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Alex finally speaks up after remaining silent for most of the conversation. "Emmet, please. You have to at least acknowledge the position this puts us in. You're asking for trust from a group that hadn't ever talked to you twenty four hours ago. I'm sure we're all amenable to your plight, but we need something that we can use to prove it."

"I agree with Bulldog, we need to know if the people who set us on this path are the ones who brought the Nicutuku as well. This isn't going to be a problem for the Nosferatu only."

• Options
    "Fair enough. Your positions have been made clear. Investigate as you will. Hopefully you will come to see things our way. If not, I trust you are wise enough to not become too mired in the Pyramid's schemes. Heh..." The creature allows himself a chuckle at the entendre, and makes for the door.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    When Emmett is gone is likely beyond even enhanced hearing range, Deke speaks up. "We'll need to carefully cultivate that relationship. If the Nosferatu clear out this threat, they will be able to take control again easily," he says. "But it seems we're back to step one. Gather more information."

• Options
    Max seems about to stop him, but thinks better of it. You do not go after a Primogen without a plan. There is the Camarilla, but that doesn't mean acting stupid won't get you killed.

He texts Danny "No Dice"

• Options
    "Emmet, wait!" Alex calls out after the Primogen. "If we're going to dig into this, we'll need help. A contact, a way to get in touch, something. Please, give us a start. We're looking to help"

Alex put as much empathy into his message as he could, hoping to persuade the Nosferatu into giving them some sort of head start on the problem.
    Charisma+Empathy+Presence.

Geth, roll 7d10o10h7 for Friends?

Friends?:
    7d10o10h7 6 [7d10o10h7=7, [10, 7], [10, 8], 4, 9, 1, 1]

• Options
    The creature hesitates at the door, then gives Alex a measuring look, before producing a business card from one of his sleeves, offering it from his gnarled hand. "That should do." It is strikingly professional, stating 'Emmett J. Stevens, Housing & Realty' in centered type, with a contact number and an address. "Send Regentia Cardinal my regards." A fanged smile, and he is gone.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    “Well that was fun” Bulldog deadpanned.

“So what now? Ask me, we go check out the Warrens tonight, but it’s too late for that. The Prince is probably waiting on us.” Bulldog casually points the pistol he had been cleaning at the prisoner and making a shush signal before continuing.

“What do we do with this one? My gut tells me we drain him. I lost track of all the shit we said in front of him that could fuck us over. I’d rather let Alex or Deke do the explaining to Julia then let this one start talking.”

• Options
    Danny pokes his head in. "She probably is waiting for us. And, y'know, the guy who just left." He directs his eyes to Max. "Maybe next time we play it a little less cool?" And turns back to Bulldog, nodding in the direction of the prisoner. "Be nice if we didn't show up completely empty-handed."

• Options
    Alex examines the card, then slides it into his pants pocket.

"Before we do anything, we all need to come to an agreement." His voice raises to address the group. "Let's face some facts. One. We were never going to force Emmett anywhere. Two. There is quite likely an ancient killer roaming the city, and odds are it isn't going to stop by just wiping out the Nosferatu." He pauses to give a chance for the words to sink in.

"We now have to decide what we're going to do about it. For one, I don't think we can be completely honest with the Prince. If there is a connection there, we'll just ruin things before we even start. Which unfortunately means that this one, " he motions to the prisoner they had dragged with them, "can't come. He's heard too much and can't be trusted. But before someone takes care of it, we have to all agree here and now what we're willing to hold back. We're going to likely have to lie to the Prince. I can take care of that if everyone else is uncomfortable, but I need to make sure that you have my back and aren't going to spill the beans the second I leave."

• Options
    Elizabeth Hailion

"Yeah, I can agree to that.
    It's smart to keep a few cards in our hat.
    While you guys go see the Prince, I'll take the SUV and the gear
    And deal with them and numbnuts over here."

• Options
    "I find that playing it cool generally does not get one ripped to shreds by a pissed off Nosferatu that has his back against the wall."

"But hey, I'll follow your lead next time. I admit we don't have many solid leads at the moment"

• Options
    Danny lazily grabs a seat. "Nah, it's cool. Just hoping to see some of that renowned Toreador diplomacy in action. Anyway, whatever level of trust I may or may not have in the current authorities, new guy doesn't exactly have more of it. So while some misdirection may be necessary, I personally would prefer to avoid burning too many bridges lest we back the wrong horse, if you'll excuse my mixing of metaphors."

• Options
    Alex nods. "That's a fair point. Nothing Emmett has done so far would create any sort of..." his hands raise to form air quotes, "loyalty from us. So, my intent is not to outright lie, but instead leave a few details out and see where we are pointed next. I think we need to investigate this, but at the same time, I'm not suggesting a rebellion."

"I want us to be in control of that information flow, however. Let's gather everything we can from both sides and agree as a group how to proceed. Instead of being blindly pointed by either side."

• Options
    "Diplomacy involves knowing when you can't win without breaking the rules," Deke says. "And knowing that breaking the rules usually means going to war."

He shakes his head. "Emmett knows this will shake the Regentia's faith in us. I -- we --" He glances around. "Just need to figure out how to come out ahead here."
    Geth, roll 5d10o10h8 for Intelligence + Politics

Intelligence + Politics:
    5d10o10h8 2 [5d10o10h8=6, [10, 5], 4, [10, 7], 2]

• Options
    Maybe it's the seeming certainly of impending death, or seeing that Emmett has finally departed, but eventually the prisoner in question finally finds his voice. "I-I swear I won't tell anyone! Ju-just, like, brainwash me or something if you don't believe me!" As if coming to the impression that the suggestion isn't going to help his case, the man suddenly changes his tactic. "I-...I know things about the other places we're supposed to hit! I'm not gonna be any use dead!" He briefly contemplates screaming for help, but quickly comes to the conclusion that it would either be useless or it would just get others killed too. Probably both.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    "The only move at this point is to do what the Regentia wishes," Deke finally says, having considered it for a while. He glances at the man in center of the room. "He's a liability. But he does have a point."

• Options
    edited November 2016
    "You're reading my mind Alex, keep it simple. We tell her everything we've learned, just leave out the part that the Nosferatu suspect the Tremere for leading the Nictuku here. We use their other excuse, that the Nosferatu don't like how the Tremere have been running things since they left, and they want power back. They spoke to us to send her the message. Not sure if Julia knows about this one" Bulldog points to their prisoner. "maybe we say Emmett grabbed him back from us too."

Bulldog turned to Deke. "What does that mean, what do you think she wishes? As far as I can tell we're doing what Julia wants, minus the getting Emmett to come along. Unless you think telling her everything and bringing this one along is the smarter play, but I can't see it."

Bulldog glanced at their prisoner, finally interested in something he had to say. "Ok buddy, you got something to say about the other places, spill. Maybe you walk away from this breathing. What's your name anyway?"
    @cj iwakura or @Ardent can you me more specific with what you mean by "Do as the Prince wishes."? Does that mean omitting anything from our report to Julia and not giving her the prisoner is dumb, or something else?

Not sure about everyone else, but I feel like Bulldog isn't suicidal enough to defy her openly. He is interested in seeing if the Nosferatu accusation about the Tremere being behind the Nictuku arrival has any merit, because that would help clarify this convoluted situation.

Boozer on
  • Options
    The man seems to dial back on his panic, though he's gone from being on the verge of death to feeling like any misstep could mean his doom. "D-D-Dylan... a-after the club, we were gonna..." A pause, and a deep breath. "A-... a museum by 53rd and 5th."
    Less 'follow her rules to the letter' and more 'it's in your best interests to act on her behalf, not the Nosferatu's.'

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Elizabeth Hailion

"So how did you end up as Emmett's thug?
    Since it looks as if you never ever saw his ugly mug."