As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    KlogenKlogen Registered User regular
    Had to buy and refund the game after my 2 years old computer can't handle. I was hyped when they updated to the latest version, thought it's time to buy the game as it's reached the quality they promised.
    Sigh, one hardware upgrade won't fix that, processors and GPUs aren't cheap

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I... I have the starter scanner and one C class freighter

I'm literally about to head back to a hellscape planet that has near constrant 260+ degree firestorms because it has activated copper deposits :P

Class ranking doesnt matter for freighter missions you wont be using your freighter for anything else than accepting a quest on the command deck, go for the ones with good rewards. (Portable Reactors, Cryogenic Chamber, etc. are worth about 4 million each)

I think I fucked up; I rescued a freighter and turned down the offer to get it for free.

The next freighter I ran into only was selling.

Did I miss my chance for a free freighter?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I... I have the starter scanner and one C class freighter

I'm literally about to head back to a hellscape planet that has near constrant 260+ degree firestorms because it has activated copper deposits :P

Class ranking doesnt matter for freighter missions you wont be using your freighter for anything else than accepting a quest on the command deck, go for the ones with good rewards. (Portable Reactors, Cryogenic Chamber, etc. are worth about 4 million each)

I think I fucked up; I rescued a freighter and turned down the offer to get it for free.

The next freighter I ran into only was selling.

Did I miss my chance for a free freighter?

No, there will be another chance sometime later on.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to try out a new game and just keep skipping the freighters till I get an A or S class one.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I'm tempted to try out a new game and just keep skipping the freighters till I get an A or S class one.

That was my plan, but I totally forgot NEXT added in stuff to do with them and I think I might just buck up and take whatever (within reason) is offered next, just so I can check those out. And they sound like they give a ton of money too.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Preview of upcoming fixes by way of the experimental branch.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1736588252401539352/
    Latest changes on Experimental (24/08):

Added user permissions for multiplayer, on a per-save slot basis. Settings for visibility, damage + base editing can be customised to apply to all players, friends only, or no-one.
    Improved the terrain edit saving system, reducing the chance of terrain regenerating. Further improvements to this system are in progress.
    Improved the visuals of player starship trails.
    Added archaeology missions to the available pool of missions from planetary NPCs.

Fixed an issue that could prevent players with very large save games from saving.
    Fixed a number of issues that prevented save games from loading.
    Fixed an issue that incorrectly synced information in multiplayer.
    Fixed a number of issues that could cause mission markers to be attached to the wrong destination.
    Fixed a number of issues around the refiner and general inventory systems. Improved the pick and drop system of inventory management.

Fixed an issue that caused visual glitches in clouds at higher resolutions.
    Fixed occasional crash in geometry streaming when exiting planet atmosphere.
    Fixed issue where cloud shadows would interfere with reflection rendering.
    Improved consistency between tessellated and non-tessellated terrains.
    Improved performance when leaving planets.
    Various memory savings, improving overall stability.
    Various performance optimisations.

Fixed an issue that could prevent players from going through black holes.
    Fixed an issue where players were able to warp and get stuck on the other side of a portal.
    Fixed an issue where players were able to enter their freighter base when it was not loaded in memory.
    Fixed an issue where players could start their game in inappropriate systems when starting in multiplayer.
    Fixed an issue that could cause vast numbers of Sentinel Drones to spawn.
    Fixed an issue that prevented players with pre-NEXT saves from fully upgrading their Exosuit.
    Fixed an issue where freighter crew would change race on warp.
    Fixed an issue where player ships could spawn on the same landing pad in multiplayer.
    Fixed a number of cases where freighter battles were not correctly synced in multiplayer.
    Fixed an issue where players were not able to land on other player's freighters.
    Fixed a number of issues affecting the interaction with captains of freighters not owned by the player.
    Fixed an issue that caused expedition length, difficulty + rewards to scale incorrectly relative to the power of the player's fleet.
    Fixed an issue that caused players to exit their ships / exocraft while tagging a marker.
    Fixed an issue where ships landed on freighters to be labelled ON PLANET.
    Fixed an issue that caused player ships to have incorrect information when viewed through the Analysis Visor.
    Fixed an issue that could cause Sentinels to appear as undiscovered creatures when viewed through the Analysis Visor.
    Fixed the axes used to calculate planet coordinates shown on the Analysis Visor.
    Prevented players with freighters from warping other players in multiplayer to systems they would get stuck in.
    Fixed an issue where the freighter dock lights were not correctly lit/unlit when a save was loaded on a freighter.
    Various text fixes.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ah no fix for me using my pulse drive and ending up on the inside of my capital ship model unable to escape without warping to another system.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I want a moveable base station most right now.

Sad its not in the list.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I want a moveable base station most right now.

Sad its not in the list.

That would be the bomb. Press a button and have the whole thing pack itself up in a box, load it up on a freighter, and then deploy it somewhere else.

• Options
    I would settle for being able to move the basic base module and deletion of bases so old deleted one dont show up on teleport list.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Just let us put our main base on the freighter and that would solve so many issues.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Just let us put our main base on the freighter and that would solve so many issues.

Currently there seems to be a bug where, if you have rescued a freighter and wish to exchange it, none of your items from the old one carries over, and none of the modules currently placed carry over either. That would be potentially devastating to hours worth of work, especially since the computers seem to save the bases per planet, not per person's account.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Currently there seems to be a bug where, if you have rescued a freighter and wish to exchange it, none of your items from the old one carries over, and none of the modules currently placed carry over either. That would be potentially devastating to hours worth of work, especially since the computers seem to save the bases per planet, not per person's account.

That hasn't been my experience. My friend and I were making bases on a planet in multiplayer and his didn't show up in my game when I was playing by myself until after he uploaded it, despite my having uploaded my base before.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That hasn't been my experience. My friend and I were making bases on a planet in multiplayer and his didn't show up in my game when I was playing by myself until after he uploaded it, despite my having uploaded my base before.

Sorry, what I meant by this is that the base doesn't seem to be saved in a way that you could reconstitute it on another freighter as it currently stands because if you upload your base, that base is saved for you in specific but only for that planet, rather than on a moveable thing such as the freighter, and though they could add that feature, I'd think it would be more important to first make sure that the added rooms of Freighter A actually transfer or are broken down for Freighter B all the time, instead of sometimes losing all the cargo and rooms in Freighter A.

Mainly, I think the issue with base computers on Freighters right now is that Freighters are still fiddly, and more than once I've been virtually tossed by the base computer when I port into a base, which potentially could cause your character to be thrown into or even through walls to die in space.

Basically, that the current logistics of how a base saves and how the computer operates presents challenges that simply allowing the build state of one on a Freighter might easily complicate.

Also, yes, I mean per person per planet, which means it saves both based on the planet and the profile. I don't do multi, so I wouldn't have been aware of this, but what I meant as "per person's account" is that it's not like I can save a base, upload that base, and then (as far as I know) place down a base computer elsewhere and "download" that base to a total other planet wholesale, unless we're talking about old saves being able to one time port in an old base from pre-NEXT.

Which means it should be possible to upload and download base designs, but I've not seen it able to be done other than that single import an old base option, which is what would be needed when transferring Freighters.

• Options
    Ah, okay!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I have like 150 million units now. (Because Fusion Igniters and Stasis Devices)

... I’ve been looking for a 38 slot 60 million’ish Fighter ship design I like for literal hours.

I also have an exotic squid ship now but dont really use it.

I wish I could pick and choose ship parts to build the ship I want.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-23-superdata-no-mans-sky-flies-once-more-as-fortnite-begins-to-flag

It looks like all the work they put into turning NMS around has paid off. Hello Games brought in $24 million in July.
    Most surprising was the return of No Man's Sky, which had its best month since its launch in August of 2016. Superdata estimates the game brought in $24 million across PC, PS4, and its new launch on Xbox One, with over two million active players--ten times as many as it had last month.

• Options
    Is there a good way to find Technology Modules or are they pretty much always a purchased thing?

• Options
    Lesson learned: Don't sell your hyperdrive until you've actually built your new one

Fuck you, Activated Cadmium.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Is there a good way to find Technology Modules or are they pretty much always a purchased thing?

Disassembling most upgrades (starship/multitool/exosuit) gives one, so if you get one as a quest reward or if you just have a surplus of nanites, you can install an upgrade you don't want and then immediately break it down.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

Disassembling most upgrades (starship/multitool/exosuit) gives one, so if you get one as a quest reward or if you just have a surplus of nanites, you can install an upgrade you don't want and then immediately break it down.

Selling those at the tech vendors awards nanites, so there is a bit of a choice.

• Options
    edited August 2018

The places on the planets with a single landing pad, a creature, a gun case on the wall. They have vendors for "components", which if I remember right usually includes tech modules. Minor Settlement, I think?

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

The places on the planets with a single landing pad, a creature, a gun case on the wall. They have vendors for "components", which if I remember right usually includes tech modules. Minor Settlement, I think?

Yep. And a galactic trade node too. Very useful to build your first base near one if you can manage it.

I think he's talking about "Technology Module" though, not "Salvaged Technology" which is what they sell.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    I just realized last night that you could upload for nanites

On the plus side after fifteen minutes of clicking I had a shitload of nanites

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I learned from somewhere (here?) that you can refine both Platinum and Runaway Mould separately into Nanites, and vendors often have thousands upon thousands of these for sale. So I don't have nanite problems anymore.

Although I should note that this will cost you millions of units. So don't do it until you have a trade route setup and are raking in hundreds of millions.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I learned from somewhere (here?) that you can refine both Platinum and Runaway Mould separately into Nanites, and vendors often have thousands upon thousands of these for sale. So I don't have nanite problems anymore.

Although I should note that this will cost you millions of units. So don't do it until you have a trade route setup and are raking in hundreds of millions.

There's a Reddit community guide that catalogs all of the recipes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m3D-ElN7ek3Y0f-1XDt0IW2l6HxfXi5n5Yr7VLwLbg4/htmlview?sle=true#

Pugneum also makes Nanite clusters at 10:1, so you can farm out Sentinels too. (exocraft mining beam is best)

• Options
    i-gQLQc3x-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure my newfound love for this game is going to be the excuse I need to turn my X1/1080p TV into a X1X and a 4k TV.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Just sit right back
    And you'll hear a tale
    A tale of a fateful trip
    That started from this tropic port
    Aboard this tiny ship
    The mate was a mighty sailing man
    The skipper brave and sure
    Five passengers set sail that day
    For a 3 hour tour, a 3 hour tour....

So I took the SS Minnow out for a three hour tour. In this case a busted up fighter I salvaged. I was looking to trade it in for an explorer. I didn't like the style of ships that were showing up on the station I was at so I tried a couple other stations. One particular system I'd spent time in was not showing up on the list. I figured I'd just methodically go down the list trying to find it so I started hopping stations looking for it. There seemed to be systems in my station list that I'd never visited before. Things that weren't uploaded but were credited to me and others that had been discovered by others and renamed that I'd never seen before.
    So anyways I'm hopping stations and about my 20th jump it dumps me in space. I died. Of course it autosaved(thanks SO much) and my inventory was gone. Then it dumped me on a hostile sentinel planet in a system I'd never been to before. I was just completely flabbergasted. That might have been kinda fun to recover from but after what I'd just experienced I wasn't in the mood. There I am with a busted ship, half my stuff missing, some hostile exotic world with sentinels that want to shoot me in the face and no grave marker. I headed up to space but there was nothing there either.
    Fortunately my three hour tour was all just a dream. I was able to reload the manual save from earlier and recover although it meant losing all my gameplay progress from the current session.
    Meh. Meh I say!

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Thats why I want more save slots.

A manual save and an autosave isnt cutting it in a semi buggy game, I nearly ended up with both saves inside a wall once.

• Options
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    k0nw8osywk6e.png

This is quite the reward.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i wrote up my account of the first community event...

let me know if you enjoyed this, i'm hoping for the motivation to continue it over the 8 events

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Once I've done their questlines, is there any reason to keep the base NPCs around? Maybe just the scientist for occasional nanite infusions?

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Once I've done their questlines, is there any reason to keep the base NPCs around? Maybe just the scientist for occasional nanite infusions?

All the NPCs will give you stuff daily.
    The farmer will trade you a good plant sample for 50 of any agricultural product. The armorer generates multitools. The overseer gives you photo missions. The exocraft guy generates "get to a place in x minutes" missions.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »

All the NPCs will give you stuff daily.
    The farmer will trade you a good plant sample for 50 of any agricultural product. The armorer generates multitools. The overseer gives you photo missions. The exocraft guy generates "get to a place in x minutes" missions.

The overseer has never given me anything. It *says* "Accept", but no quest ever pops in my log. Same with the farmer. I don't need a multi-tool (and I had to reload on his mission anyway, because I can't defeat all those sentinal waves). I don't wanna race anywhere.

So I deleted them.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The computer guy will just hand up hand you nanites, so keep him around at least.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    When do I get the exocraft dude anyway.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular

Plow through the base quests, exocraft is the last one in the chain I think

• Options
    Fleeb wrote: »

Plow through the base quests, exocraft is the last one in the chain I think

Interestingly, if someone *else* builds an exocraft pad, you can summon a craft even if you haven't the quests. You can't put any upgrades, but you can have a car.