As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is multiplayer really the only thing for this "big" new update and XBone release? The Inside XBox thing kinda made it seem like MP was it, has there been any talk about anything else being added to the game?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    If there's other stuff coming with it, they've been pretty tight-lipped about it.

I think there is potentially a trailer dropping today that maaaaybe will show off more?

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Trailer here:
    It looks amazing. I love that they are adding 3rd-person view.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ooooh, 3rd person is neat! Fingers crossed for new and interesting things to explore planetside as well. I'll definitely check it out next week at least.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Are duststorms new?

Seemed like one was going on in the trailer and I'm all about new biomes.

The ringed planet looked dope too

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    RINGED PLANETS! YUSSSSSS

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Just watched the new trailer, I’m thinking it might be time to finally dive in.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    You can also assemble and command a fleet of frigates from the bridge of your freighter. That's pretty cool.

You know what I'd love? A tweak to whatever algorithm that handles creature spawns. One of the best ways to earn money, and also one of my favorite things to do in the game, is to catalog the wildlife on a planet. Sometimes you get down to that last animal, and they just never freaking spawn anywhere. It can be quite annoying.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I once, by looking in just the right direction at the right moment, found an animal that was an air-floating jellyfish the size of a quarter, invisible from more than 15 feet away. And I suddenly understood why sometimes finding all the animals on a planet was nearly impossible

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Some additional info from Sean
    Multiplayer
    Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travellers.
    You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
    Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
    Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
    Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
    Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.
    Visual Overhaul
    The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
    Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
    Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
    Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.
    Unlimited Base Building
    Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
    Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
    Hundreds of new base parts.
    Own multiple bases.
    Command Freighters
    Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
    Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
    Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
    Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.

Exciting!

• Options
    I love the solitary exploration experience of No Man's Sky, so I hope you can set your game session to private or whatever. Don't want to be exploring with randos popping in and out.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I'm still not seeing anything that indicates I can either play single player or easily ignore everyone else.

Fighting with other players doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, so I'm really hoping this doesn't break my love of this game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    It'd be a very dumb move to not include that ability

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Damn. This looks really cool now.

Okay so I'm curious, as someone who hasn't really played since like a couple months after launch, how is the gameplay loop in this now? Is it still mostly collect resources > buy better ships and equipment > use those to collect more resources > work toward the center of the galaxy > ? > profit? Or have they started working in more structured gameplay like missions and stuff?

I actually didn't hate the original exploration-based gameplay, but it would be nice to know that there's a little more meat there now to draw me back in. Either way though, I think I'm definitely going to have to give this another shot when the update drops.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Damn. This looks really cool now.

Okay so I'm curious, as someone who hasn't really played since like a couple months after launch, how is the gameplay loop in this now? Is it still mostly collect resources > buy better ships and equipment > use those to collect more resources > work toward the center of the galaxy > ? > profit? Or have they started working in more structured gameplay like missions and stuff?

I actually didn't hate the original exploration-based gameplay, but it would be nice to know that there's a little more meat there now to draw me back in. Either way though, I think I'm definitely going to have to give this another shot when the update drops.

There's base-building missions, pirate-hunting missions, etc. I haven't gone too in-depth in it since the base-building update but theres quite a bit to do now.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.

Awesome

Moving my base next to a portal now.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Because I'm impatient, I've been messing around with RayRod's overhaul in the buildup. It changes terrain generation a ton, and does all sorts of other miscellaneous stuff as well. It still has a few bugs (starting off was rough because the closest heridium spawn to get off of the ground was hours and possibly days away on foot, but I stumbled upon a wrecked 50 slot ship instead so no complaints!), but it's been a fun distraction until NEXT comes out. So, here's a nice crashed freighter I found yesterday:

47F519B962447C03256F72561FEC1232A7469FE2

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I'm still not seeing anything that indicates I can either play single player or easily ignore everyone else.

Fighting with other players doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, so I'm really hoping this doesn't break my love of this game.
    That would be a hilarious development.

Players: Sounds like there's gonna be multiplayer!
    Hello Games: Here's a singleplayer-only game.
    Players: Oh... Well, I guess we've kind of grown to like the meditative, single-player experience.
    Hello Games: The game is multiplayer-only, now.

(I hope there's a singleplayer-only mode as well.)

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    unless, as part of this, they've dramatically reduced the scale of the universe (they haven't), there's absolutely no need to 'turn off' multiplayer to ensure you're not interrupted by another player. the only way you're ever going to bump into someone is by co-ordinating a meeting. a chance encounter would be like winning the lottery several times consecutively.

that said, by the way it's described i'd be surprised if multiplayer isn't a separate, partly segregated mode where you join a pool of players, and the only impact on the perpetual game 'universe' (which doesn't really exist) is when base building etc is uploaded to the server.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Do we know whether multiplayer (more specifically pvp) is opt in?

I like a lot of the multiplayer stuff they’re talking about but I’m not really keen on some rando swinging by to trash my awesome space hut.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I feel for everyone thats worried about forced multiplayer. I do.

That would be a bummer.
    Mainly because I'm gonna find your base and touch all your stuff if it is.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I’d welcome multiplayer on the stations and in space just for the extra traffic. I’m more iffy about it on the planet surfaces.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Hello Games is being impressively generous in their support. Like Yacht Club level.

I don't want to turn this into a What Else Can They Do list, but I'm kinda gonna totally do it-

-Terraformable Planets/Creator Mode (in an infinite universe, be able to curate and create your own? There's a huge number of considerations that would need to be met, obviously, but the idea of populating the forests, arranging the terrain just so, with the right iridescent illumination on the shores...)

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Hello Games is being impressively generous in their support. Like Yacht Club level.

I don't want to turn this into a What Else Can They Do list, but I'm kinda gonna totally do it-

-Terraformable Planets/Creator Mode (in an infinite universe, be able to curate and create your own? There's a huge number of considerations that would need to be met, obviously, but the idea of populating the forests, arranging the terrain just so, with the right iridescent illumination on the shores...)

Mounted. Fauna. DONE.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Mounted on my walls.

After I've shot them dead.

• Options
    I know combat isn't a priority in this game but hoping in the future they add stuff like hostile NPC bases you can find on planets and challenges like that.

They seem intent on turning the game into quite the well rounded package so I'm kind of pulling for an update like that.

I can only mine for so long before my bloodlust kicks in and I get mad that the local wildlife can't do much against a handheld laser cannon.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Add stealth mechanics. No Man’s Metal Gear.

Implement a Persona-style Social Link system with your base personnel. Date the Gek.

New DLC turns NMS into a text adventure.

You see a weird-looking plant.
    >shoot plant

You have received 10 carbon!

>scan

You detect heridium 1,534 screens to the north.

>north
    >north
    >north

See No Man’s Sky in a brand new way! More like NEW Man’s Sky!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I think the huge galaxy is one of their biggest problems, so they need to make portalling easier, but that's just what they need to mitigate the issue. To make it more of a strength, I think they really need the procedural generation to make thematic differences, in different sectors of the galaxy. Make a bubble of 10,000 stars have a tendency toward lusher worlds, or towards oceanic worlds, or have terrain that makes it look like the world's were terraformed aeons ago in that sector and there are huge concentric circle valleys or something.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options

Implement a Persona-style Social Link system with your base personnel. Date the Gek.

>shoot plant

>scan

>north
    >north
    >north

Also need a virtual card battle game in addition to all this.

Get pirates to call off their attack with your sick deck skills.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

>shoot plant

>scan

>north
    >north
    >north

Also need a virtual card battle game in addition to all this.

Get pirates to call off their attack with your sick deck skills.

An ASCII card game

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Honestly they could do more to make NPC's and NPC-places more interesting. Space stations could be bigger and better. Increase the amount of aliens in general, even if you can't talk to all of them would really help make the universe feel more real and 'lived in'. Seems like a logical next step too.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    Honestly they could do more to make NPC's and NPC-places more interesting. Space stations could be bigger and better. Increase the amount of aliens in general, even if you can't talk to all of them would really help make the universe feel more real and 'lived in'. Seems like a logical next step too.

Outside of pirates, it seems odd that everyone is so at peace with each other. I'd personally like to see more and more space combat, factions, and freighter vs freighter combat. Should make you either panic or cheer when a fleet of frigates decides to warp in.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Evigilant wrote: »

Outside of pirates, it seems odd that everyone is so at peace with each other. I'd personally like to see more and more space combat, factions, and freighter vs freighter combat. Should make you either panic or cheer when a fleet of frigates decides to warp in.

I actually kind of love the overall lack of violence between the main 3 NPC types. I find it refreshing.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

I actually kind of love the overall lack of violence between the main 3 NPC types. I find it refreshing.

Yeah, the "More Violence!" calls are depressing for me, as my biggest issue with the game is "Still Has A Gun In It".

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Yeah, the "More Violence!" calls are depressing for me, as my biggest issue with the game is "Still Has A Gun In It".

I don't mind the gun, and the current level of violence. I just don't think we need more.

• Options
    Well, the Vykeen are supposed to be a warrior race, I think. They're oddly calm. Also all the Gek knowledge stones are kind of alarming. They seem kind of aggressive and bloodthirsty...

I like the game how it is now, though. The combat that's already there isn't really the best, so I don't think adding more would do NMS any favors.

• Options
    I feel like the Gek were violent, in the past. Their lore suggests they are evolved from what they were. The Vykeen seem to have evolved as well, mainly into bluster, but also into more of a hunter and less of a warrior.

I suppose if nothing else, a bump to the "dangerous planet things" could be had. Most of them are pretty docile.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I think more violence is totally fine if you can seek it out rather than be pressured into it.

The game is clearly looking to service a lot of different gameplay styles, taking up a jobs on the side as bounty hunters or just coming across bases sounds like a fun side activity.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It's a long interview, but probably worth it, I think. I've only gotten a short way in but Sean Murray is being very candid about everything.