As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6wc7X2l7Sw

Character customization in No Man's Sky seems to be more robust than I was expecting.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I restarted a few times trying to figure stuff out but eventually carried on. Repaired my ship, got off planet, found a super nice world I might build a base on, and dicked around for a bit.

I probably should have bought this earlier. I like exploration in games and that seems to be what this game is all about.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I've been reading a little lately about the new patch and it seems like HG are on a redemption press tour with a number of outlets going on about those pesky entitled gamers who harassed some poor developers. Now to be fair, I'm sure that they had piles of death threats over stupid shit....but I seem to remember they promised mountains and barely delivered anthills; was this not the case? Feels like a little revisionist history in the favour of a developer who lied quite a bit about what they were shipping.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Ehh, the problem with that is "going on about those pesky entitled gamers who harassed some poor developers" is a pretty extreme strawman. In the interviews I've read they're not using language that blunt, simplistic, or derogatory. If any of the interviewers are choosing to editorialize something like that (I haven't seen it but there have been a lot of interviews) then that's not really on Hello Games. The Vice interview is pretty huge and that's not the tone being used at all, to my reading. The most denigrating language used is Sean Murray saying several times that they've come to terms with the fact that their game isn't for everyone, and they're at peace with it, all the while taking several opportunities to apologize for the pre-release hype he generated and admitting he handled it poorly.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Now to be fair, I'm sure that they had piles of death threats over stupid shit....

in what sense is that not harrassment?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I've been reading a little lately about the new patch and it seems like HG are on a redemption press tour with a number of outlets going on about those pesky entitled gamers who harassed some poor developers. Now to be fair, I'm sure that they had piles of death threats over stupid shit....but I seem to remember they promised mountains and barely delivered anthills; was this not the case? Feels like a little revisionist history in the favour of a developer who lied quite a bit about what they were shipping.

Even if they had outright lied about the game (and it wasn't outright lies, it was a lot of vague hedging of words that people read into), the vitriol that they got would still have been completely uncalled for.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Under no circumstances are death threats or harassment OK. It doesn't matter what the game developer said was going to be in the game, that doesn't mean it's OK to threaten to kill him.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Sean Murray was getting death threats before everyone decided to hate him too. He got a bunch of threats when the game was initially delayed. The gaming community can be a real peach sometimes!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I’m just happy that they keep hammering on and improving the game :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    As for what we got vs. what was stated or alluded to, yeah, there were differences. But from what I've gathered a lot of that can be chalked up to Murray just generally being excited about NMS, not being media trained, taking a more conversational approach in interviews, and choosing to talk about ideas and in-progress work rather than finished features. Combine that with an immovable release date and pressure from Sony and you have a mess.

But Murray has stated that he regrets allowing for so much speculation due to his vague answers and lack of details. It let people fill in a lot of gaps and imagine a game that was never going to be.

Still though, harassment and death threats are not an appropriate response.

• Options
    I think the big update/relaunch/XBone port kind of prove that Murray/HG were not being maliciously dishonest (if that makes sense). If NMS was just a cynical cash grab from the start, they wouldn't have kept plugging away at it and improving the game with free updates. They would've just shrugged and made off with their money.

I got a lot of playtime out the initial release, and didn't hate it but I was ultimately disappointed in the game. I still think its admirable how they weathered the intense negativity and kept going. To the point where I feel like Next being a free update is kind of a steal. It's essentially No Man's Sky 2, and that's a ton of work they aren't being paid for doing. I mean, there's the XBone release and hopefully there's a big spike in PC/PS4 sales. I do get that charging for the update on PC and PS4 would be a (not entirely unwarranted) shitstorm, though.

I'm just really excited to start fresh with a new save file tomorrow! I hope it works out a lot more favorably for HG this time around. The customization options are pretty crazy too. Gonna be a lil Gek guy and run around burping pleasant smells on all the animals :^:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I think this gets lost when talking about the response to NMS, but it was a huge success for Hello Games. They've been able to hire on a bunch more developers and, as Skull said, continue to improve the game for two years free of charge. So while a lot of the news around NMS at launch was rather negative, it has found a big enough audience to let them thrive for 2 years. And they don't plan on stopping any time soon.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    As for what we got vs. what was stated or alluded to, yeah, there were differences. But from what I've gathered a lot of that can be chalked up to Murray just generally being excited about NMS, not being media trained, taking a more conversational approach in interviews, and choosing to talk about ideas and in-progress work rather than finished features. Combine that with an immovable release date and pressure from Sony and you have a mess.

But Murray has stated that he regrets allowing for so much speculation due to his vague answers and lack of details. It let people fill in a lot of gaps and imagine a game that was never going to be.

It becomes easier as the years go by to try and paper over the fact that Sean Murray was not just vague or too excited about the game... he straight-up lied about features that were definitely not in the game, irrespective of whether Hello Games thought they wanted those things in the game. He lied, and never came clean about it until after the game's release.

But whatever the issues were back then, HG did what few other companies do, much less game companies: They stuck by their product and continued to work on it well after release. I'm actually kind of excited about NMS again I gotta say, even though it still isn't quite the game I wanted.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

It becomes easier as the years go by to try and paper over the fact that Sean Murray was not just vague or too excited about the game... he straight-up lied about features that were definitely not in the game, irrespective of whether Hello Games thought they wanted those things in the game. He lied, and never came clean about it until after the game's release.

But whatever the issues were back then, HG did what few other companies do, much less game companies: They stuck by their product and continued to work on it well after release. I'm actually kind of excited about NMS again I gotta say, even though it still isn't quite the game I wanted.

NMS hasn't really clicked with me yet after 2 serious attempts (17 hours total playtime), but I am kind of excited to try it again after the update hits.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    NMS was the biggest lie I have seen since Fable. He straight lied in multiple interviews, over multiple months, about features that were not even planned already being in the game. Their willingness to stand by the flaming garbage heap they released is admirable, in fact I would actually buy a game of theirs several months after release instead of never under any circumstances. The past few updates, while impressive, have just barely brought the game to parity with what was promised at release. In fact this patch will finally add in the multiplayer Sean insisted the game had over 2 years ago at release. Taking two years to finish releasing your game is laughably bad by any measure. I am looking forward to getting back into it though, I will not lie.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Burrowing creatures!

https://youtu.be/OwgRvtohPE8

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Looks like the update is dropping at 2 PM GMT tomorrow per the xbone store -- no idea if it will be different on PC but it's the only number we have so far.

I wasn't expecting a midnight GMT tonight launch, but it was my only shot! I'm roadtripping to Denver for a concert tomorrow, soooo no NEXTing for me until Friday evening.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Want to watch more footage so bad but trying to restrain myself.

Want to go into this game as fresh as possible with discovery being a big part of the fun.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    HG took the best possible route after the whole launch fiasco. Media silence, head down, work their asses off, fix the whole thing for no extra cost to the player.

I just wish Ubi, EA and Bethesda did half as right.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    HG took the best possible route after the whole launch fiasco. Media silence, head down, work their asses off, fix the whole thing for no extra cost to the player.

tbf, the turnaround Ubi made on both The Division and For Honor was pretty awesome.

And what did Bethesda do that was so egregious as all the stuff that happened with NMS, or even partly so?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    Yeah, Ubisoft is pretty good about fixing their shit. Rainbow Six: Siege is another success story.

Though, I guess there's something to be said about them constantly releasing unacceptable games :P . Ass Creed Origins was great, and so is Far Cry 5. AC: Odyssey is shaping up to be a GOTY contender, so they are doing better I think.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

tbf, the turnaround Ubi made on both The Division and For Honor was pretty awesome.

And what did Bethesda do that was so egregious as all the stuff that happened with NMS, or even partly so?

Andromeda was really bad.

And they kept making it worse.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Mainly I was looking at the Ars article where their defense of the game is, "people should have known better than to expect them to deliver what they were advertising" while at the same time, admitting HG faked up giant monsters or some such for their previews. There's a new reddit thread that is a mix of people saying at least they've continued to work on it, but yes, they lied their asses of about the game... which I guess is about the same here from what I'm seeing. It does seem like while people are not thrilled with how it started out, that they're pleased with the game now. I wasn't planning on playing myself, it was just their current rounds in the press seemed rather disingenuous to what I remember the launch furor was and was curious about how the game was going now.

I did buy Division at launch, with season pass no less and I'd have to say they did some really great work on that game as time went on - and they communicated those changes. I won't preorder the next one, but I don't look at the last one as a negative based on how they handled it.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Andromeda was really bad.

And they kept making it worse.

What does Bethesda have to do with Andromeda?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    What did they lie about? I think the issues was that they were more or less habitually vague about what the game was/wasn't.

The video they put out was definitely misleading but I can't think of much beyond that.

• Options
    Instead of rehashing the last two years of NMS conversation, we could talk about the new stuff.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So I haven't played this since ... hmm, probably a few months after launch? What are bases all about? I'm going to wind up just starting a new game because I honestly don't remember what I was even doing last time around. I just know I got some cool looking space ships and was having fun posting screenshots because it was so pretty.

• Options
    Gonna spend so much time hunting for treasure!

Probably need to clear some hard drive space as well since I'll probably go screenshot crazy.

• Options
    There have been three major updates to No Man's Sky since release, and NEXT will be the fourth.

Bases were added in Foundation, the first update. I don't know much about bases, so if you want more info, that might be a place to start.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Bases are essentially a DIY customizable home that you build from almost* the ground up. You buy or acquire various schematics from a catalog that you can use to attach various types of rooms, corridors, etc. You can add landing pads for your ship (or others), storage units, you can grow plants. It's basically an all-in-one spot for you to setup whatever you need, in whatever arrangement you'd like.

*Currently (last I checked), there are specific base hub units, basically a single circular room, located at various locations on planets. Each base must start from there. But apparently the update will let you build a base just about anywhere, which sounds like maybe they're getting rid of those preset hubs or letting the player place that, too.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    oh shit, does this drop this week? I guess I know what I'm downloading when I get home...my expectations are muted given my initial experience, but I like a lot of the changes I've seen so far, both in customization and planetary/base gameplay. that might be enough to get me to spend some time with it, even if the space stuff still isn't quite what I personally want it to be.

Honestly, zod bless developers that can eat crow and keep on with the improvements despite negativity and bile so common in gaming culture.

soylenth on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Bases are essentially a DIY customizable home that you build from almost* the ground up. You buy or acquire various schematics from a catalog that you can use to attach various types of rooms, corridors, etc. You can add landing pads for your ship (or others), storage units, you can grow plants. It's basically an all-in-one spot for you to setup whatever you need, in whatever arrangement you'd like.

*Currently (last I checked), there are specific base hub units, basically a single circular room, located at various locations on planets. Each base must start from there. But apparently the update will let you build a base just about anywhere, which sounds like maybe they're getting rid of those preset hubs or letting the player place that, too.

Bases are being changed so you can build them anywhere you want. On a mountain, under the ocean, on a floating rock, wherever.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ocean Lair! I'm so in. 100% in.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    oh shit, does this drop this week?

In about 13 hours as I recall.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    soylenth wrote: »
    oh shit, does this drop this week?

In about 13 hours as I recall.

I am cautiously excite!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    They should patch in Battle Royale mode but use the entire expanding universe as the battleground.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Drez wrote: »
    They should patch in Battle Royale mode but use the entire expanding universe as the battleground.

The unfathomable expanse of space. A hundred thousand stars twinkling above; each with its own sky of a hundred thousand different stars, and above those, a hundred thousand more. Perhaps somewhere - far, far away, as each recursion dwindles imperceptibly - a sky that looks only into black infinity?

I run my hands through the eerily moonlit wheat. It is slightly iridescent, and coloured like a filleted belly of salmon. I am the only eyes to ever observe it: surely I will be the last. The closest wateringhole and outpost is on a windswept Ice Giant, a thousand stars from a thousand stars from here.

I reach the ridge and breathe in the vista. I dropped my helmet long ago; the air here is floral, healthy and warm. In the distance, a river runs between canyons: I will traverse that, I tell myself, and then depart forever. I won't bother to record the co-ordinates. This place is too pure to know.

With a bittersweet sigh, I step forwar-

[bsjezz got sniped by xxSpcwank420xx]

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Played some more.

Found a tropical world that was agonisingly beautiful. Soil that shifted from red to white to purple, with fields of red grass and dotted with white trunked trees with red leaves. I spent a good half hour just slowly walking around looking at it. Found a base start and claimed it. Unfortunately, it had no fauna at all. I decided to move on. I went to another system, and the first planet I visit was even more gorgeous. Viridian world, all ocean and dotted with islands.Through the day, pink sky and green fields, night time a kind of aurora borealis in the sky. But again, no fauna.

My search continues for a beautiful world to build a base on that has some cool dinosaurs on it.

I really wish this game supported VR.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Played some more.

Found a tropical world that was agonisingly beautiful. Soil that shifted from red to white to purple, with fields of red grass and dotted with white trunked trees with red leaves. I spent a good half hour just slowly walking around looking at it. Found a base start and claimed it. Unfortunately, it had no fauna at all. I decided to move on. I went to another system, and the first planet I visit was even more gorgeous. Viridian world, all ocean and dotted with islands.Through the day, pink sky and green fields, night time a kind of aurora borealis in the sky. But again, no fauna.

My search continues for a beautiful world to build a base on that has some cool dinosaurs on it.

I really wish this game supported VR.

There are workarounds for the VR, but yeah I wish it was supported as well. Supposedly it'll come in the future.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4xliab/no_mans_sky_in_vr_full_3d_stereo_using_vorpx/

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I am so going to use that!