As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    After a big patch it usually takes awhile to load as it rebuilds the shader thingamabob.

Ohhhhhhh that makes so much sense! lol my bad. I will try it again a few times and see how it fares.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Basically the more you play it, the shorter the loading times get.

Although it was still about a minute, minute and a half for me after NEXT and I was playing pretty regularly.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dilemma:

Start fresh again or continue where I left off. I feel that with the new patch starting fresh is probably best to make the VR experience its own thing.

Although i'd like a money hack to make things go faster though.

Handkor on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I went shopping for Fighters on a wealthy Vy'Keen world last night, and somehow ended up spending all my cash on an A-class, max-slot Hauler instead. Mostly because it looks like this.

iM0MIoR.jpg?1

Guess I'll come back for a Fighter after I save up some more. I nabbed an S-class shuttle last week and have a lovely yellow exotic as well.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Handkor wrote: »
    Dilemma:

Start fresh again or continue where I left off. I feel that with the new patch starting fresh is probably best to make the VR experience its own thing.

Although i'd like a money hack to make things go faster though.

i'm definitely starting a new game. the question is which difficulty. i usually only play permadeath these days, but i can imagine having to sprint frantically across an icy tundra or irratiated hell-hole in search of a cave deep enough to provide shelter might not be the best way to ease in, considering the technology

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, what's the best affordable VR gear for PC these days? I stopped paying attention to the tech. I know I had motion sickness problems with my Oculus back when I had that, but it was one of the early dev kit models, so I imagine things are better in that regard with the newer gear.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Speaking of, what's the best affordable VR gear for PC these days? I stopped paying attention to the tech. I know I had motion sickness problems with my Oculus back when I had that, but it was one of the early dev kit models, so I imagine things are better in that regard with the newer gear.

The Rift S is supposed to be pretty great, with it's inside out tracking and new screen and stuff. I don't know if newer tech will fix your motion sickness issues though. Those seem to be a combination of how your brain is wired, how much VR you play (because some people can "acclimate" themselves with more time in VR), and the locomotion and comfort options a VR game has to offer. The first one can't be changed, the second and third can be acted on though. Hopefully HG has done their research on VR and have several comfort options available, otherwise the walking portions of the game might cause a lot of sickness for some.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

The Rift S is supposed to be pretty great, with it's inside out tracking and new screen and stuff. I don't know if newer tech will fix your motion sickness issues though. Those seem to be a combination of how your brain is wired, how much VR you play (because some people can "acclimate" themselves with more time in VR), and the locomotion and comfort options a VR game has to offer. The first one can't be changed, the second and third can be acted on though. Hopefully HG has done their research on VR and have several comfort options available, otherwise the walking portions of the game might cause a lot of sickness for some.

Well, I always felt like mine was in part due to the stuttering graphics combined with a strong screen-door effect. I was playing with an early Rift on a shitty laptop, so I'm definitely interested to at least try something newer on my gaming rig.

I'll check out the Rift S.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Did the VR patch release? Part of my excitement for getting the Valve Index was to use the Knuckles controllers to play this.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Did the VR patch release? Part of my excitement for getting the Valve Index was to use the Knuckles controllers to play this.

Beyond (which includes VR, improved online features, and some as yet unknown other feature) releases on the 14th! Sooooo close, but soooo far away!

Well, I always felt like mine was in part due to the stuttering graphics combined with a strong screen-door effect. I was playing with an early Rift on a shitty laptop, so I'm definitely interested to at least try something newer on my gaming rig.

I'll check out the Rift S.

Ahhh, yeah stuttering can definitely cause nausea. A VR-capable PC should clear that right up. There will still be a screen door effect with the Rift S, but much less so (I've heard good things about it's screen)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It releases on the third day of Eid! A perfect gift!

• Options
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Personally I just hope they don't rebalance all the items so it becomes impossible to play the game solo. As long as it's still feasible to play and enjoy the game without any multiplayer, I'll be happy.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I'm seeing what looks like more resource gathering automation. Which would be nice, its quite grindy atm.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Apparently they're still doing a proper "third pillar" reveal that is not that trailer. That one was to show off the multiplayer primarily, though there's some obvious cool new stuff in it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I've probably put an entire 2 hours or so into NMW since it came out, so I'm pretty excited to finally really sit down and fire it up when this releases.

vamen on
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Personally I just hope they don't rebalance all the items so it becomes impossible to play the game solo. As long as it's still feasible to play and enjoy the game without any multiplayer, I'll be happy.

I doubt multiplayer will become the new focus of the game. They're adding the Nexus hub for players to join together and stuff, and will perhaps expand the things people can do together and expand the number of people able to play together in a single instance, but I don't think they'll force anyone to do it. NMS will probably still have the option to entirely disable online stuff, so you can engage with it only if you so desire.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I doubt multiplayer will become the new focus of the game. They're adding the Nexus hub for players to join together and stuff, and will perhaps expand the things people can do together and expand the number of people able to play together in a single instance, but I don't think they'll force anyone to do it. NMS will probably still have the option to entirely disable online stuff, so you can engage with it only if you so desire.

It's less that that I'm worried about, and more a "well, now that you can have X people helping to all gather and build Y, we need to increase the resource costs by 3 times the old amount, even for single player people".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

It's less that that I'm worried about, and more a "well, now that you can have X people helping to all gather and build Y, we need to increase the resource costs by 3 times the old amount, even for single player people".

Ahh, well I still don't think it'll happen. Not that I have any evidence to back that up, but it doesn't feel like something Hello Games would do.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to pick this up after I get paid next week...

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Have they said anything about needing to start a new game to get the most out of Beyond? I am sitting very pretty on my existing save and I don't think I can muster the energy to do it all a 3rd time.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I ignored no mans sky as these days I generally don't jump in on launch date on a game. Now 3 years later and adding VR support I'm looking at playing it for the first time in VR. Anything I should think about?

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Anything I should think about?

three lost years

edit: seriously though, for a new player i'd say avoiding too much media is key. the game unfolds itself beautifully but much of its wonder is diminished by screenshots of the 'fringes' of what's possible in the universe. take a route through the game that suits your style: ignore the base building questline if that's not your jam, and don't get caught in the loop of min-maxing your ship, inventory space and credits unless you're really feeling an obsessive urge. the multiplayer stuff is likely to be quite engaging and rewarding, but i'd say appreciating the experience as a lonely wanderer should come first. but that's me! make your own decisions about which aspects of gameplay to prioritise!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I ignored no mans sky as these days I generally don't jump in on launch date on a game. Now 3 years later and adding VR support I'm looking at playing it for the first time in VR. Anything I should think about?

It yes very much an inventory management game for a good long time. You need a ton of cash or luck in order to get your inventory to a more manageable size. Having said that there is now quite a bit of stuff to do even if it does tend towards a mile wide and inch deep kind of stuff.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but if anyone is new (or not new) and wants a cash influx, let me know, and I can hook you up with some items that you can sell for 15 million each.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    I've spent the last few weeks getting myself to the point where I could start feasibly farming the higher end crafted items for cash, but I've decided to hold off and see how stuff changes. No point setting up an elaborate Stasis Device farm just to see it all be wasted effort in a week.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I've been inspired by the trailer. Inspired to go back to find that planet where one of the life forms looked like a giant dildo with legs. And then tame it, ride it, and post a screenshot captioned, "Brave enough."

I feel like after nearly 40 years of gaming, that'll be my pinnacle moment I want my kids to remember me by.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

In the game’s fiction, Nexus is a kind of moon that exists outside of time and space. Players can summon Nexus to wherever they are in the universe. From the outside, it has a Death Star kind of vibe. Inside, it’s a world of neon, like a sci-fi themed nightclub.

Players can organize missions with parties of up to 32 space travelers. This is a big upgrade from the game’s year-old multiplayer lobby-based system of a maximum four players. The Nexus also features walking, talking non-player characters who offer specific quests for groups and for individuals.

It’s been designed specifically as a place where players can show off their progression items, such as clothing and, most especially, their personally crafted home base. Home bases are accessible to other players via the Nexus, which will be a boon to NMS denizens who like to focus on their headquarters and to show off their sense of galactic good taste.

Certain planets are also being transformed into social spaces where players can mess around with one another. One planet will offer a Rocket League-style ball-and-vehicles game. These changes are designed to create what Murray calls “pinch points” that create a social universe within the vastness of No Man’s Sky’s universe.

Sounds like the changes will be able to be avoided by players who still wish for a single-player experience just fine.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I have a Radeon 590 and an i5-8600. Does anyone have any idea how this is going to run at 1080p? I don't need Ultra settings or anything like that. I've looked up a handful of videos, but most of them are 1-2 years old.

Ear3nd1l on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    I have a Radeon 590 and an i5-8600. Does anyone have any idea how this is going to run at 1080p? I don't need Ultra settings or anything like that. I've looked up a handful of videos, but most of them are 1-2 years old.

I don't know, but I figure any optimizations and improvements they made to make VR run at a smooth FPS will carry over to improving framerates for the base game, so that might help you!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I'm one of those who hasn't been too impressed by the content they've released since launch (it really hasn't addressed the major problems I have with the game, although it's all been good stuff they've added). But I do think I'll give VR No Man Sky a shot.

• Options
    I wish I could do VR for more than five minutes without being sick for two days...

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the VR version will be compatible with all the multiplayer shenanigans? I'd love to be able to play with friends, but none of them have any VR setups.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nice, they've added automation to mining and seems electrical systems for building a base. The farming aspect should be interesting, I think some people will have too much 'fun' milking that space cow in VR.

https://pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-beyond-will-add-32-player-support-powered-bases-cooking-and-alien-milking/

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    @Ear3nd1l

I'm pretty sure with a 590 you could play the game maxed out at 1080p at 60 frames no problem. It sounds like you just mean on a standard monitor and are not talking about VR.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Anyone know if the VR version will be compatible with all the multiplayer shenanigans? I'd love to be able to play with friends, but none of them have any VR setups.

Pretty sure VR mode is just the game, not something separate. So I don't see why it would interfere.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Yeah, you can VR with non-VR people. It's all one game and experience -- we will just be your VR Overlords, using our powers only to flip you off and make dumb hand gestures.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah, you can VR with non-VR people. It's all one game and experience -- we will just be your VR Overlords, using our powers only to flip you off and make dumb hand gestures.

And also to dance without being confined to using peasant emotes

edit: also, they've confirmed that VR and non-VR scum can play together

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Dixon wrote: »
    @Ear3nd1l

I'm pretty sure with a 590 you could play the game maxed out at 1080p at 60 frames no problem. It sounds like you just mean on a standard monitor and are not talking about VR.

Correct, I'd rather not vomit on my keyboard...

Ear3nd1l on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    IGN has a video of Sean Murray explaining stuff about the new update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAo7b4HjtjQ

"remade from the ground up to work in VR" has me happy inside.

Apparently the "third pillar" is whatever your heart wants it to be. In a good way -- just refining and expanding upon all aspects of the game to reflect upon the diverse ways people play the game. I can get behind that!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png