As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Low gravity planets! That or it was just a bug.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I don't know...but being on a planet and seeing this makes me happy.

Q5W98kR.jpg

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Haha, Windows Update auto overwrote the driver I had installed.

So the game stopped working again.
    I was able to roll back that update, and now it works again.

Someone at Intel goofed. The older driver has a "date updated" that is making it get selected by the auto systems. But, there are several later versions.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Low gravity planets! That or it was just a bug.

Definitely low gravity planets! I was on a moon-like planet last night and it was super fun to have the floaty low-grav jetpack in VR.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    it seems like the low gravity planets are only also no atmosphere ones, which is a bummer. I'd be fun to have a planet you could really make a home out of with low grav.

Though, i suppose there's no real reason you couldn't do a moon base; you'd just have to go elsewhere for everything.

Unrelated, it seems like there's no just "random multiplayer" anymore? On the main menu the option for multiplayer with friends/randoms goes nowhere, or at least to an always blank screen that has nothing on it.

Did they remove that option with the nexus now? Is there any way to do that? It was a really nice way to get inventory slots fast.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I've never seen 'High Sentinel Activity' appear when scanning a planet before. That's a nice add.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Had a wee blast in the Rift S today and am hitting up against some definite performance issues. Occasional stuttering on the ground, especially noticeable in teleport mode when jumping a good distance. However, once I got to fly my spaceship it was absolutely terrible. Good thing I've got a strong VR stomach or I probably would have barfed all over the shop.

The running theme seems to be when the game is trying to load in lots of objects rapidly, but I don't know if my system should be chugging on that stuff.

16GB 2400 DDR4
    2700 Super
    M2 SSD

Might finally get round to overlooking my cpu to see if that improves things.

• Options
    For those getting into cooking (I have not yet, but have been grabbing ingredients)... Glitched worlds seem to have unique harvestables. I am on a Hexagonal world atm and found 'Hexaberries'

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Had a wee blast in the Rift S today and am hitting up against some definite performance issues. Occasional stuttering on the ground, especially noticeable in teleport mode when jumping a good distance. However, once I got to fly my spaceship it was absolutely terrible. Good thing I've got a strong VR stomach or I probably would have barfed all over the shop.

The running theme seems to be when the game is trying to load in lots of objects rapidly, but I don't know if my system should be chugging on that stuff.

16GB 2400 DDR4
    2700 Super
    M2 SSD

Might finally get round to overlooking my cpu to see if that improves things.

i wouldn't go into overclocking to get this running well yet. there are some obvious (and hopefully easily resolved) software-side fixes to the VR rendering that have already been identified, and even have some workarounds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/cqsu0j/note_the_performance_tied_to_the_desktop_view_and/

meanwhile, i'm having a really good time on PSVR. it's my first serious VR game that i've had the chance to sink time into: i find i can go for 90 minutes before i start feeling a little exhausted and overwhelmed. i just got to my second system last night and there are some moments - impossible to capture, of course - that are just breathtaking. the size of planets is sublime with the benefit of depth perception, and the scale of everything sometimes just hits you

pjXaV6z.jpg

the interface is really good so far. i can do things almost as quickly and efficiently as with a pad: some things moreso. ravenously grabbing up vortex cubes with both hands was hilarious. i do wish there was some more cockpit interactivity: it would be cool if you could tap a panel to access the ship inventory and hyperdrive, rather than the same way you do it on foot. i'm also not a big fan on the aesthetics of the new base building interface icons but that's a very small thing

in general i'm surprised and impressed at how well these motion controls work for a pretty dang complex gameplay system. i could definitely play through the game like this. i may almost be ready for permadeath...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Hello everyone, I can't really justify spending several hundred dollars on a VR setup so talking about how good it is is now banned thank you for your understanding.

(I'm only kidding, of course, I'm glad that it is apparently very enjoyable.)

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I've never seen 'High Sentinel Activity' appear when scanning a planet before. That's a nice add.

You haven't played No Man's Sky until you've had an otherwise amazing, probably perfect, planet ruined by endless sentinels up in your rectum.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    So, there is now(or at least more) non-organic life in the universe
    2BFEE48E1C9D1C25585715AA7F80E6D653CFEF11

Also, some glitch worlds now have "stabilized" glitches, which you can collect and place in your base as decoration.
    97DBBE394F231735AB062CD75A614F7863ACEC84

Some of the Atlaspass V3 rooms seem to be a bit flashier as well.
    163AF0C197CFD2024082D11B00F9D603FF4D23CF

The stabilized glitches were in before Beyond, I found some just a few days before Beyond dropped and even had one or two on my freighter base. I haven't loaded that save up since Beyond came out since I wanted to start fresh in VR, but it's still there

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Did they change the way taking crashed ships works now?

I don't mean that some of them now have NPC's and they're not for the taking anyway.

I mean, I got into a crashed ship last night as it was better than my base ship, and in the past you could just hop back in your old ship if you wanted, and you could summon either one (if they were fixed) via the menu. However, my old ship, this time, became impossible to interact with, and it wasn't listed in the quick menu at all. Fortunately I had a manual save relatively recently; but I'm concerned they changed how that works so you can't just add a crashed ship to your collection without losing your current ship entirely.

• Options
    Also has anyone messed with baits or anything? I'm curious if they could be used to potentially lure out rare creature you haven't identified yet.

• Options
    i think you need to scan the creature to learn what bait it likes. perhaps if there's overlap / only a few bait types you could do it by trial and error?

fortunately now the discovery menu tells you the creatures that are habitat specific, e.g. only found a cave. on that note, does anyone know what a 'base' creature is? they only hang out at your base? seems weird

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i think you need to scan the creature to learn what bait it likes. perhaps if there's overlap / only a few bait types you could do it by trial and error?

fortunately now the discovery menu tells you the creatures that are habitat specific, e.g. only found a cave. on that note, does anyone know what a 'base' creature is? they only hang out at your base? seems weird

I think base means baseline? Or like, when using the terrain manipulator to create terrain, you can select base, cave, underwater, and something else I think? So a base creature might be found anywhere, or only above ground on regular, "basic" terrain? (as in not caves, underwater, or flying)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Darmak wrote: »

I think base means baseline? Or like, when using the terrain manipulator to create terrain, you can select base, cave, underwater, and something else I think? So a base creature might be found anywhere, or only above ground on regular, "basic" terrain? (as in not caves, underwater, or flying)

Yeah I'm pretty sure "base" just means anywhere that isn't some other terrain, i.e. not caves or underwater.

It doesn't differentiate between flying or not, or any type of carnivore, etc.

So far I've had generally good luck in my new game since Beyond but this one planet I'm currently on is giving me hell finding the final rare "base" creature. And given there's no water, and not a lot of caves, "base" could be literally anywhere on the whole planet.

But so far it seems like it is actually nowhere. I should just give up because planets aren't hard to come by :lol: but it's become a matter of pride almost.

EDIT: I will say that I've found that if a creature doesn't seem to be showing up and you've traveled all over a planet, there's a decent chance it is a carnivore/hunter and what sometimes works is finding an area with as many creatures as you can find and just kind of hanging out, and eventually they will show up to hunt. Sometimes they only come out at night, or at sun rise/set; other times it is anytime. This isn't a surefire way to find what you're missing, but it's worked for me pretty regularly.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    seems odd, since most normal land creatures don't have the 'base' tag

but what is this game if not odd

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

You haven't played No Man's Sky until you've had an otherwise amazing, probably perfect, planet ruined by endless sentinels up in your rectum.

Oh no, I've had plenty of that. I have just never seen it appear in the scanner from space before.

• Options
    next interface question: is there a way to see how many planets and moons are in a system before it's discovered anymore?

i actually don't mind if that's a deliberate change. i quite like the uncertainty, and it saves smaller systems from just never being discovered. but i may just be missing something with the new galaxy map

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    next interface question: is there a way to see how many planets and moons are in a system before it's discovered anymore?

i actually don't mind if that's a deliberate change. i quite like the uncertainty, and it saves smaller systems from just never being discovered. but i may just be missing something with the new galaxy map

on the galaxy screen when you select a star it will load in a preview of the system with how many planets there are.

Also I think if you have the economy scanner it might show up just by selecting it? I don't recall.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Damn, same thing again, get a crashed ship, my old ship can't be interacted with in any way.

EDIT: weird, so if you transfer at least an item over, it works; but if you don't transfer anything, your old ship is gone. Doesn't seem intentional.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Oh. Nada and Polos ship is...um...different.

• Options

on the galaxy screen when you select a star it will load in a preview of the system with how many planets there are.

Also I think if you have the economy scanner it might show up just by selecting it? I don't recall.

doesn't seem to show it in VR, unless i'm missing something. is it the same as the old one with the white dots representing the star, each planet and moons, with orbit rings?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    i may almost be ready for permadeath...

If you permadeath in VR you permadeath in real life

desc on
  • Options
    edited August 2019

doesn't seem to show it in VR, unless i'm missing something. is it the same as the old one with the white dots representing the star, each planet and moons, with orbit rings?

Not sure, i'll check again after i'm off this station. It was just a graphical representation, not in the info box, it just showed the system itself and you could see the planets.

EDIT: yeah, just select a different star and it should show the orbits and amount of planets/moons you can count.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    i may almost be ready for permadeath...

If you permadeath in VR you permadeath in real life

considering i'm supposed to be marking 210 poorly-scribed essays on john keats while simultaneously getting ready to move house next weekend...

*boots up VR permadeath and finds a pleasant outlook...*

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    So have the nexus vendors replaced the base missions entirely then?

• Options

Yeah, I think so? I never completed the base missions before so I can't say with complete certainty, but it seems like it.

Also, I just now got to the Nexus, and holy shit that place is really cool. I like the look and feel of that place in VR so much!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Oh. Nada and Polos ship is...um...different.

What are you talking about? Nada and Polo have always lived in that base, which looks like that. Polo even says so. I'm pretty sure Polo knows what he's talking about.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, I think so? I never completed the base missions before so I can't say with complete certainty, but it seems like it.

Also, I just now got to the Nexus, and holy shit that place is really cool. I like the look and feel of that place in VR so much!

Well, if so, I'm fine with that.

Granted, several of them had actually decent stories, but they were short and walled behind a silly amount of grind (and for the scientist simply waiting sometimes; seems like that waiting is gone for Polo too, which is nice if so).

I do have a quest telling me to go back to my base terminal, which in a previous update is where the base missions started, so maybe they're there to some degree; I guess I will find out. Since all of their rewards are now via vendor tech trees or tech trees in manufacturing facilities, I'm not entirely sure what they'd even reward. Maybe nanites?

I thought I was doing good on nanites before going to the nexus (and I had spent a bunch on mods on stations already too) with 7k; but nope.

Also the base components that used to be gotten via the base questlines are super expensive. 10 things each? Bleh.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Anyone having problems with... punching in VR? on my rift it just seems to punch pretty much all the time randomly, i can have my controllers not moving at all, perfectly stationary, and as soon as I start moving whoosh whoosh of punches going off all the time :( very annoying at least i assume it's punching, there's no animation with it

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    the reddit community's billboard in guildford finally got put up, with auspicious timing:

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Hmm, looks like I can’t power up half of my old bases storage containers. A bit sad, had some stacks of gold and other materials I could use for the new expansion.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Anyone having problems with... punching in VR? on my rift it just seems to punch pretty much all the time randomly, i can have my controllers not moving at all, perfectly stationary, and as soon as I start moving whoosh whoosh of punches going off all the time :( very annoying at least i assume it's punching, there's no animation with it

Are you gripping your controllers at all? It's very aggressive with the punching. Just gripping the controller at all with the Index controllers initiates punch mode, which is silly and drains all of your stamina.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Toying with perspective.

5CE5A6B75A2C9E6AD713D824D9ECC7CD985179E4

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

Are you gripping your controllers at all? It's very aggressive with the punching. Just gripping the controller at all with the Index controllers initiates punch mode, which is silly and drains all of your stamina.

no..Good idea but I just tested it and it happens w/ my fingers nowhere near the grips, and as mentioned not moving the controllers at all (rift touch) only happens when i'm moving or turniing though, very frustrating :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Can you move a base computer? I'm still doing all the introductory stuff, just built my first base computer and a few wooden walls to house my portable refinery and research device for the time being, and I'd like to move the base computer inside the walls, can I even do that?

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Can you move a base computer? I'm still doing all the introductory stuff, just built my first base computer and a few wooden walls to house my portable refinery and research device for the time being, and I'd like to move the base computer inside the walls, can I even do that?

Nope, it stays where it is. You gotta plan for it in advance and put it in a good spot, or perhaps place a floor under it and build a shack around it or something.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having trouble with the Upload All Discoveries button on PC? Uploading everything individually is a bit cumbersome. I see the button but can't seem to get it to do anything, in VR mode or out

XBL Gamertag: Ipori