As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Can you move a base computer? I'm still doing all the introductory stuff, just built my first base computer and a few wooden walls to house my portable refinery and research device for the time being, and I'd like to move the base computer inside the walls, can I even do that?

Nope, it stays where it is. You gotta plan for it in advance and put it in a good spot, or perhaps place a floor under it and build a shack around it or something.

That's annoying, but I guess I can work with it. When the time comes to make a proper base I'll just make sure to take that into account.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Don't sweat it too much. I would play around with building and get a feel for it. Also toy around with all the technology and see what you really find useful. Then when you have a good idea of how it all works and fits together, you can work on building your perfect base.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Can you move a base computer? I'm still doing all the introductory stuff, just built my first base computer and a few wooden walls to house my portable refinery and research device for the time being, and I'd like to move the base computer inside the walls, can I even do that?

Nope, it stays where it is. You gotta plan for it in advance and put it in a good spot, or perhaps place a floor under it and build a shack around it or something.

That's annoying, but I guess I can work with it. When the time comes to make a proper base I'll just make sure to take that into account.

You can also just delete the base and replace the terminal where you want it; if you haven't really built much. Not inside of a building, since it will clear that (I think), but yeah. it's the only deployable that can't be moved without screwing with your base, though; so place it somewhere like outside your front door or whatever.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    So the game doesn't seem to want to let me remap the controls, or even display what the current key bindings are. The last time I played was over a year ago and I don't exactly remember how to do things...

pretty frustrating

• Options
    Remapping is completely broken right now.

I have no idea why. I had to look up a few things I couldn't recall, too.

Here's all the default controls though. https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Controls

I don't know if anything added with Beyond added anything not listed, but running down the list it looks pretty accurate still.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Ah, thanks. I remember remapping "initiate landing" from E over to L because I was always hitting it by accident.

Also hilariously upon loading my old save I am stuck on one of my random outpost planets because of course, none of my stuff is powered; including most importantly my network of teleporters. My main base is where I stored all my shit! This is less of a complaint and more of a thing I just need to figure out though. Might have to actually fly back to my main base world.... if I can even figure out where the fuck that was

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Spent an hour getting EM generators set up, wiring them across the country side. I connect them to my existing grid and...nothing. No increase in power generated. I know the EM’s are working because I used battery’s to daisy chain the connections and the one literally outside the base is charging. I connect it up, and it dosn’t seem to recognise it’s connected.

I removed all existing generators and connected the base to the new circuit. Nothing. I’m at a loss aside from maybe rebuilding the base from scratch?

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Wow, I uh started a new game and my controller is just... occasionally not registering the right joystick, then spinning around wildly, running is feeling extremely sloppy, this is basically unplayable. Did anyone on PC have controller issues? Is my computer just showing its age and struggling on the higher settings?

A brief googling to try and see what the heck is going on indicates that controller stuff is now handled through Steam's controller thing, and if that's related at all to my issues then oh

oh no.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Hmm, looks like I can’t power up half of my old bases storage containers. A bit sad, had some stacks of gold and other materials I could use for the new expansion.

Turns out deleting and rebuilding the problematic storage containers fixed the bug, and I didn't lose the contents in the storage containers. hooray!

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    more questions!

-where do i get multitool blueprints, now? (i need a pulse splitter so i can install the s-class upgrade mod and be disappointed it still doesn't clear the tutorial prompt)
    -can you zoom with the scanner in VR? i know it'd be disorienting but my anomaly is terribly nearsighted now and i need that damn zoom back

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Speaking of scanning, it seems quite difficult to highlight the correct icon when using the analysis visor in VR, mainly when there's 4-5 really close together. Is there a targeting method that cycles through them, or some more precise way to indicate to the game which one I'm trying to actually look at?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    alright. i think i'm plateauing over peak no man's sky again

if you're in VR and acclimated with the game and controls, and your primary interest is immersion and exploration, i'd highly recommend turning the HUD off. it's amazing, and so little of what is layered up over you is actually necessary

i also finally found a couple of interesting planets that have me excited to explore again. my first VR planet had some curious colouration, but i didn't see much else of note in the next 2 systems, until i landed here:
    TH6gLLd.jpg
    eDVPajY.jpg

it's a normal dry or desert biome but the blue colours caught my attention as well as the lack of arizona style cactus and rock forms. curious. the first planet of the next system was a vividly red globe striped with white clouds:

C1WC81f.jpg

so without the HUD and exploring the ruin, i sorta lost track of my ship. night fell, and i didn't want to concede the point. searching for it, i saw up on a mountain a crashed freighter. i figured i could hike up there and summon my ship from the beacon:
    R7CFJ6Q.jpg
    QcodO57.jpg
    Ay0mfXN.jpg
    mWMiyu8.jpg

slowly trekking up that mountain as the freighter loomed was incredible: as i say, on par with anything else i've experienced, even when the worlds still all felt so alien. a storm whipped through as i approached, and out of uncertainty i took cover under the great wheeled engine overhanging a cliff, as green-trailed starships and red-eyed sentinels cruised by. as i dashed up to the landing beacon the storm subsided and the peaceful night and impressive crash site welcomed my ship. none of it would have happened with the HUD on

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Adding in the questions, does anyone know if it is possible to swim DOWN in VR? I couldn't figure out how to get under the water

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    ok by the way what is up with the random starships flying overhead constantly on otherwise unpopulated planets. it feels like there's a busy starport just over the next ridge or something.

I'm supposed to be a lone explorer, dwarfed by the vastness of the galaxy and the universe.

Boldly going where only few have gone before, with naught but my trusty multitool and exosuit to protect me, harvesting the scraps of those who have gone before, taking refuge alone from the dangers of the...oh hey it's another trio of neighbours practising their formation flying, cool

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    wait til you get to truly uncharted space!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So it seems like every time I open the photo mode, it drops the texture quality to standard.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »
    Adding in the questions, does anyone know if it is possible to swim DOWN in VR? I couldn't figure out how to get under the water

Aim your hand down and use your jetpack. That's the best way of moving through the water

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    i managed to capture my trek this morning and cobble together a clip:

*drags himself back to marking essays*

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    ok by the way what is up with the random starships flying overhead constantly on otherwise unpopulated planets. it feels like there's a busy starport just over the next ridge or something.

I'm supposed to be a lone explorer, dwarfed by the vastness of the galaxy and the universe.

Boldly going where only few have gone before, with naught but my trusty multitool and exosuit to protect me, harvesting the scraps of those who have gone before, taking refuge alone from the dangers of the...oh hey it's another trio of neighbours practising their formation flying, cool

The universe is actually fairly busy with native races, you're lone in that you're a traveler, which there's supposed to be only one in the universe at a time. (why you see others e.g. players is part of the story)

Any system claimed by one of the races will usually have roaming aliens even if a given planet is otherwise lifeless. If you go to the really remote/dead systems with no race presence, you more likely will not see those ships.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

Pcvr?

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Been killed by script kiddies in the anomaly a few times now , why do people always need to ruin good things?

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Big Classy wrote: »

Pcvr?

nah just OG PS4
    Been killed by script kiddies in the anomaly a few times now , why do people always need to ruin good things?

i think that's just the bug that allows VR players to do melee damage in the nexus

why you'd be playing the game in VR and entertaining yourself by griefing i have nfi

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Spent an hour getting EM generators set up, wiring them across the country side. I connect them to my existing grid and...nothing. No increase in power generated. I know the EM’s are working because I used battery’s to daisy chain the connections and the one literally outside the base is charging. I connect it up, and it dosn’t seem to recognise it’s connected.

I removed all existing generators and connected the base to the new circuit. Nothing. I’m at a loss aside from maybe rebuilding the base from scratch?

I could be wrong here, but I tried last night to wire up a mining base to another EM generator. My hope was to create a power station, then run the grid out to nearby resource nodes surrounding it. Unfortunately, it looks like the game doesn't recognize parts coming from other "bases", or at least that's what I ended up thinking. Despite power running correctly, and the grid connected, it would not power stuff in another base.

Which was disappointing. But also, now that I understand more how the industrial stuff works, I don't think it's worth the time. It doesn't take much power to get a decent size refinery system going, and if you include a portal next to it, that's all you need. So likely what I'll end up doing is getting a major resource station set up on ideal nodes across a bunch of planets, connected via a portal system.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

I could be wrong here, but I tried last night to wire up a mining base to another EM generator. My hope was to create a power station, then run the grid out to nearby resource nodes surrounding it. Unfortunately, it looks like the game doesn't recognize parts coming from other "bases", or at least that's what I ended up thinking. Despite power running correctly, and the grid connected, it would not power stuff in another base.

Which was disappointing. But also, now that I understand more how the industrial stuff works, I don't think it's worth the time. It doesn't take much power to get a decent size refinery system going, and if you include a portal next to it, that's all you need. So likely what I'll end up doing is getting a major resource station set up on ideal nodes across a bunch of planets, connected via a portal system.

It does. It works fine with mine. It can be fiddly however, in some instances I had to recreate the connections and/or the generator it was connected to, or swap the connection to a different generator and then it suddenly started working.

Also don't try running very long singular power lines, relay them at intervals. You can use light fixtures as test objects, if they turn on, that section of line is providing power.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Pcvr?

nah just OG PS4

i think that's just the bug that allows VR players to do melee damage in the nexus

why you'd be playing the game in VR and entertaining yourself by griefing i have nfi

Yeah, I've tried to be careful with my hands when I'm in the Nexus because I don't want to accidentally smack anybody else.

Speaking of, I want to meet someone else in the Nexus that's using VR, because I want to know what I look like to others. If I just started dancing and flailing my hands around, do my arms follow along pretty realistically, or do they wiggle and wobble around like the gladiator's legs in GORN? And can other people see me looking around at stuff like I'm a country yokel seeing his first big city?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I'm curious on that one too! I'd be down to meet up sometime in VR -- I wont be free until later this evening though (around 6 central).

With the way the game is "stuck" to the HUD, I'm a bit worried that it wont have any VR specific animations for our character models. The game treats your HUD as your "front" regardless of how much you move your headset to look -- I'm wondering if that means the game wont register any animations for headlook or walking at all, and will only move the character model when you use the joysticks to look or move. But it's all just guessing at this point!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    You can turn pvp off in the settings I believe

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I lost an hour of base building today when, upon exiting the nexus, I ended up floating in space sans ship.

And since my last autosave was me exiting my ship IN the nexus, every subsequent attempt to exit has the same result.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Interesting vestigial bug: So you can still build stuff inside your freighter's cargo bay, but for the health and hazmat top-up station there's no way to power them.
    They have the sound effects but no longer function. Probably true for some other devices that now require power hookup as well. *shrugs*

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

Pcvr?

nah just OG PS4

Wow it looks good! Don't feel too bad about getting it again on ps4!

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Interesting vestigial bug: So you can still build stuff inside your freighter's cargo bay, but for the health and hazmat top-up station there's no way to power them.
    They have the sound effects but no longer function. Probably true for some other devices that now require power hookup as well. *shrugs*

the appearance modifier in your capital ship ends up unpowered, yeah

• Options

Pcvr?

nah just OG PS4

Wow it looks good! Don't feel too bad about getting it again on ps4!

it's not bad. there's definitely a scaling back of textures, lighting and distant assets - it's very difficult to survey planet surfaces for interesting features in VR, as it doesn't load much until you land. it's also quite blurry in the background and UI / text elements can be very jaggy if they're not positioned perfectly in front of you (which is usually.) it actually reminds me graphically of the very first vanilla version of the game. which i find endearing, but others probably would... not

i'm not a VR expert though so it's hard to judge where it sits in terms of broad VR experiences. i've mostly played the tight, self-contained playstation stuff, like the playroom VR and astrobot rescue mission. those are crisp and fairly flawless games, visually, but the scale of the environments and limited assets mean it's an unfair comparison.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I lost an hour of base building today when, upon exiting the nexus, I ended up floating in space sans ship.

And since my last autosave was me exiting my ship IN the nexus, every subsequent attempt to exit has the same result.

I'm sure this is way too late to be useful; but did loading put you in space, or just trying to exit after loading? Because if the latter you probably could have just gone and used the teleporter.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    OMG I'm dying. I've been searching through hundreds of systems trying to find a better freighter and have yet to come across anything better than my 18 slot B class that looks like a giant pink marital aid :(:( Anybody have any advice regarding freighter hunting?

• Options
    Fleeb wrote: »
    OMG I'm dying. I've been searching through hundreds of systems trying to find a better freighter and have yet to come across anything better than my 18 slot B class that looks like a giant pink marital aid :(:( Anybody have any advice regarding freighter hunting?

You only get the real big freighters (max is 34 slots) by rescuing one from pirates. You can do this once per three hours and 6 system jumps. They can cost upwards of several hundred million units. My A-class was about 150m with trade-in and 'rescue discount'.

Rough steps:
    1. Load the game, save at a station, warp (in your ship, not your freighter) to a high-wealth system. This is for best odds of an A or S class.
    2. Repeat step 1 up to six times. Making sure to save at the station before every single jump.
    3. Eventually, when you warp into a system there will be a massive super-capital freighter there, under attack.
    4. Decide if you like the style/colors of the freighter. There are several types and sizes, but each system will only spawn a single design, no matter how many times you do the rescue event there.
    5. If you like how it looks, proceed to step 7. If not, step 6.
    6. Reload your save from the previous station. You are now primed to hunt for a mega-freighter. Wherever you next jump, you will trigger a freighter attack. Warp to any wealthy systems in range, reloading your save if you don't like the appearance of the freighter that spawns. Once you find one you like, move on to step 7. (also, at this point it might be good to land on a planet in the 'pre-jump' system and make a manual save with a beacon, just to have a backup)
    7. Now that you have found a freighter you like the look of, rescue them from the pirates. Make note of the system you are in!
    8. Land on the freighter after the fight, and talk to the captain.
    9. Does it have 34 slots? Buy it! Or farm a higher class version if you prefer. The game won't save when you land on an un-owned freighter, so if the class or slots aren't to your liking, just reload your last save, warp back to this system, and do it again.

• Options
    Also supposedly richer systems have more A/S class ships/freighters with more slots. You need an economy scanner to check prior to jumping.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Beautiful, thanks guys!

• Options
    economy scanners are super useful for a thousand reasons! trade runs are a great way to make cash and being able to find a trading post on arriving in a system makes life very easy. i remember having to trace the space highway lines and precariously follow them in *sighs wistfully*

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I am very confused by industrial resources once again.

Two gas nodes, both of them C-class.
    1 - 1000ppm - nets 250 gas an hour
    2 - 100ppm - nets 10 gas an hour

Additionally, storage for gas seems tied to the PPM, so with gas node #1, three supply silos store just over 3k gas. With #2, they store about 140. Which makes no sense.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    One thing I'm finding incredibly difficult in VR is tagging nodes that I find with the analysis visor.

particularly when they're close together, getting the tooltip to pop up for the one that I want to tag seems quite fiddly and there doesn't appear to be a clear targeting method. I thought maybe the little circular scope things on the top of the multi-tool might be what's needed, but they seem to just be aesthetic only