As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So

There are generators called Electromagnetic Generators that you can obtain the blueprints for for 20 research tokens in Anomaly. These differ from normal generators in that their effectiveness depends on finding elecromagnetic hotspots that you can only detect with a Survey Device upgrade for your multi-tool scanner(also learned from Anomaly). The problem is, they can only actually be built within the boundaries of a base, which is a bit of a weird design decision.

However, you can set up a base computer to act as a power substation and run power lines from one base to the other.

Like I did.
    E7DF8CF0A19C8806BE291D64F8EDC5AE7C025E08
    AB3B9F0696762AA0EB53F7E64875DA72D4B1B029
    6F52D8E2252423DC73B15DC35E30B03A1AF47694

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm curious what VR systems/controllers people that don't like the controls are using?

I've found them quite good with the Index controllers. They aren't perfect, but they've been intuitive and easy to pick up so far. I haven't had any real issues, though the grab-to-interact can sometimes be a touch fiddly, it's not overly annoying.

I immediately switched to smooth move/smooth look because I really don't get queasy in VR anymore and teleport/snap drives me nuts. It feels completely unnatural to me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i aim to swap to smooth turn rather than snap, too, but baby steps. i'm fairly new to VR and after 90 minutes i definitely needed the break (and coffee, since i started at 4:30am)

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i aim to swap to smooth turn rather than snap, too, but baby steps. i'm fairly new to VR and after 90 minutes i definitely needed the break (and coffee, since i started at 4:30am)

This is completely fair. I've been doing sim racing in VR for almost three years, so my mind and eyes are very used to fast moving images and quick direction changes. You do become acclimated though.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    i kinda like that the HUD stays behind when you look around. less cluttery and you can get some nice clean outlooks just by looking away

and btw holy shit trading posts have
    ladders now :heartbeat:

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    i kinda like that the HUD stays behind when you look around. less cluttery and you can get some nice clean outlooks just by looking away

and btw holy shit trading posts have
    ladders now :heartbeat:

Holy shit no fucking way, that's great news!
    I could still probably get up there with a jetpack in VR, but it wouldn't be easy.

I guess since doing the melee-jetpack thing is super difficult to do in VR that getting the rocket boots tech is now something I should actually do.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I haven't had much chance to play today but glad I am not the only one who considers the power requirements insane. Guess I better go to the Anomaly.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Played it briefly on the PC aaaaaaaaaand it leaves a lot to be desired. The flight controls are tricky in VR and there's just too much changed to continue with where i left off. I might just try it on psn and see how i fare there.

• Options
    one thing i've found with VR flight is that the boost makes finessing landings and tight movement much easier than relying on the thruster. the tactile thruster is good for long cruises kicking back while you manage inventory, but otherwise it's not actually necessary. pulse boost is better.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Now that they've fixed the crashing, I have to admit, seeing all the other players in the Nexus is pretty cool!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    In all fairness i only played like 20 minutes and the stupid port on my gpu card is broken so i had to switch back to the telly.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    As a new player, I have a few questions:
    1 - for the love of all that is holy, where can I get a blueprint for a storage box? I've been juggling materials nearly from the get-go and it's the only part of the game I've been annoyed by. I'm still in my starter solar system (just built hyperspeed stuff, though) and have only been to the one space station and while it did have some nice blueprints, no container one.
    2 - I assume the 'skill tree' for tech/construction expands as you go? I've already bought all tech, all wood, and am starting on concrete...seems like it would run out really faster, otherwise. I assume blueprints add to it, maybe?
    3 - I was confused about some modules I bought for my hypertool. One was an improved efficiency thingie, but I can't seem to replace my old one with it. I noticed a popup right when I went to bed that it maybe needed materials to dismantle it? Also, I have a busted module on my tool that I can't seem to replace. Do I have to repair it FIRST only to then dismantle it?
    4 - Finally, maybe no one even knows this yet but I'm not clear on how some multi works. This is a shared universe, correct? If one of you guys built something on Planet A and I somehow came across it one of these days, I would see your base and stuff, right?
    If so, I'm curious what happens if you are playing on the same planet as someone. I know the chances of starting on the same planet randomly are pretty much 0, but some friends started with each other in the same session but then later were playing on the same planet but not in session with each other. How does the game decide whose stuff to keep? Does it merge them together? Seems like that could be messy.

• Options
    Are Power Hotspots super rare or am I just on the wrong sort of planet to find a lot of them? I'm on a lush atm.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Are Power Hotspots super rare or am I just on the wrong sort of planet to find a lot of them? I'm on a lush atm.

As far as I know it's entirely up to RNG. Maybe some planets have more than others, but I haven't seen anything saying yea or nay about it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    remember to report bugs directly to hello games, regardless of the platform you're on. as usual these releases are unstable, but they usually get on the worst of the issues within days rather than weeks (there have already been two hotfixes pushed to steam), and often times the fixes are simple: as an australian i couldn't play after the NEXT update - i'd hard crash every three minutes - unless i changed my ps4 system clock to 2016. it was resolved at some indeterminate point within the first week

hello are a very small team undertaking a very ambitious project, and essentially we are the QA

Thanks for the link. I kept looking around in Steam and couldn't find any way to report my issue. I copied the error message and send the issue off.

Hopefully HG is able to push out some sort of fix. Or someone finds a fix that I can do easily. I spent a good deal of time updating everything last night and searching around various forums.
    One suggested fix I saw involves editing the Registry, which I'm not super comfortable doing.

• Options
    My game crashes to desktop if I try and open the control config menu =).

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    vamen wrote: »
    As a new player, I have a few questions:
    1 - for the love of all that is holy, where can I get a blueprint for a storage box? I've been juggling materials nearly from the get-go and it's the only part of the game I've been annoyed by. I'm still in my starter solar system (just built hyperspeed stuff, though) and have only been to the one space station and while it did have some nice blueprints, no container one.
    2 - I assume the 'skill tree' for tech/construction expands as you go? I've already bought all tech, all wood, and am starting on concrete...seems like it would run out really faster, otherwise. I assume blueprints add to it, maybe?
    3 - I was confused about some modules I bought for my hypertool. One was an improved efficiency thingie, but I can't seem to replace my old one with it. I noticed a popup right when I went to bed that it maybe needed materials to dismantle it? Also, I have a busted module on my tool that I can't seem to replace. Do I have to repair it FIRST only to then dismantle it?
    4 - Finally, maybe no one even knows this yet but I'm not clear on how some multi works. This is a shared universe, correct? If one of you guys built something on Planet A and I somehow came across it one of these days, I would see your base and stuff, right?
    If so, I'm curious what happens if you are playing on the same planet as someone. I know the chances of starting on the same planet randomly are pretty much 0, but some friends started with each other in the same session but then later were playing on the same planet but not in session with each other. How does the game decide whose stuff to keep? Does it merge them together? Seems like that could be messy.
    1. The storage containers were part of the "base building" questline and were pretty far into it iirc, but that's been reworked so who knows. However, you should get a distress call from a freighter within your first couple of warps and if you choose to go rescue them you get the freighter for free (you can choose not to and you'll get more opportunities later).
    2. I'm not sure what you mean exactly but yes you get blueprints for stuff; not sure if this has changed but there were also separate questlines for branches of tech (eg farming, vehicles, etc.).
    3. The efficiency modules are installed in addition to the actual module; if you mean you already have an efficiency module and want to replace it, you need to remove the existing one first (it should give you materials when dismantled). But you can "link" modules of the same type (mining, scanning, etc.) together by having them next to each other and boost the bonuses they give. And yes, you need to repair stuff first; it's meant to be a way to let you find "better" stuff early on without it breaking a sense of progression.
    e: also, did you buy a module or a blueprint for a module? From what I remember you used to buy blueprints and build them directly into the thing, which would cost resources.
    4. It used to be that you'd "claim" a plot of land using a base computer and then that area would be yours; I would assume the new system uses a similar concept for bases. General terrain manipulation I would assume is kept local unless you're in a session with others but I dunno.

Note that I basically haven't played in like a year so if anyone has more up to date information I'd listen to them instead.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    It would appear the needing a base computer to build extractors counts for power, gas, or minerals. Which would be fine except now my list at the teleporter is going to be filled with base computers.

• Options
    Thanks for the info, Surfpossum.
    Buying modules now come fully constructed and I just need an open slot to install it.
    I didn't know about putting stuff next to each other for bonuses, that will be handy.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dhalphir wrote: »

That post is pretty much just tossing darts at a board. I have Planet Quality, Base, Texture, and Animation quality at Ultra in VR and it's fine -- there's nothing especially taxing about moving those settings above what that post shows, and 16x anisotropic is just a no-brainer. I am sub 90 FPS and reprojecting, but I would lower supersampling (currently at 125% on Index which is excessive) more before I start turning down texture detail.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    game is running so much better for me it's not a joke

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Hey, has playing anyone in VR figured out the chat interface? I'm using a Rift, routing through SteamVR, and figured I should be able to bring up some kind of virtual keyboard to type, but moderate experimentation hasn't helped, nor has searching.

Also I've dropped myself down to Creative Mode, and I'm having so much more fun than when I was scrounging around for minerals and whatnot.

Oh, also I swapped up ship control to Locked Normal, and it feels significantly better than the Tethered mode. Much more responsive.

Entriech on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Just purchased on steam. Downloading now... 8-)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I just booted up the game and not only are all the controls reset to default but I can't rebind any of them.

I open up the options menu to rebind controls and this is what I'm greeted with:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1835740071
    So not only can I not click and rebind anything, I don't even know what does what.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Seems very efficient, all you need to ever press is "-".

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Heh yeah mine looks like that in too, in VR. I was thinking it was just because I was using motion controllers/VR mode but I guess not.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hah!

Crash fixed. I can launch the game now. It runs a little like warm garbage, but I'm able to play.

I did a Google search for "UHD 620 vulkan" and found a report on geeks3d.com about a Intel driver for vulkan support. It's 4 months newer than the other drivers I've been downloading.

I couldn't find that driver anywhere else :p.

Now I need to mess with the graphics settings to see if it'll run any better.

Lots of motion blur right now, and a little choppy, in addition to being super slow.

• Options
    There seems to be a distance limit to how far you can run supply pipes. To be clear, you can run them for MILES, but from what I can tell, the extractor and the supply depot have to be in the same build area for resources to transfer.

Given how far apart the resources on this first planet seem to be, that basically means a separate base for every resource you want to harvest. Maybe other planets have them closer together or something.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    There seems to be a distance limit to how far you can run supply pipes. To be clear, you can run them for MILES, but from what I can tell, the extractor and the supply depot have to be in the same build area for resources to transfer.

Given how far apart the resources on this first planet seem to be, that basically means a separate base for every resource you want to harvest. Maybe other planets have them closer together or something.

It can sometimes be a bit fiddly with transferring resources, too. I had an electromagnetic generator in a similar scenario that refused to power anything until I deleted it and placed it again. (at one point it even drained the battery it was connected to instead of charging)

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The PS4 hot fix already came in for anyone waiting. Didn't have a chance to try it out tonight but looking forward to it tomorrow night

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Played around more with the scanner. I've got an S-class Electromagnetic Hotspot right now, that I am using to power a new base. I've deleted all my old bases and am going to rebuild from the ground up (they were mostly outposts)

My big wish is to be able to farm gases more efficiently, without having to check them every hour, refuel them, and be limited to 750 gas at a time per planet. Ideally I would also be able to have miners gathering other basic things like Paraffinium, Emeril, etc... Everything else can be grown in domes

Issues/findings so far:
    • Finding nodes is slow going, because they tend to be very far apart.
    • They have different qualities, from C-rank to S. I am unsure what that actually affects. Probably gathering speed?
    • Discovered nodes appear in the scanner/HUD, but only until you teleport/reload. If you need to know where a resource node is long term, put down a beacon or something.
    • When you are in range of one node, you have no directional idea where the next closest one is. You just have to wander until you are out of range of the old one (200-300u)
    • Nodes vary from 200-800u apart between any two 'neighbors'. This means with proper base placement, you COULD make a single base that takes advantage of a power node and several gas/mineral nodes, if you place the computer in a spot less than 300u from all the nearest resource spots. In practice, it's random enough that you might get one, MAYBE two spots in range.
    • Resource Pipes don't seem to transfer gas/minerals between base sites, even if they are next to each other/overlap.
    • Power lines DO seem to allow you to run power from a far away power node, but you will need a computer at the power spot to build there
    • If you want industrial farming of as many resources as possible, that means a lot of Base Computers clogging up the interface at the station teleporters.

I am rather frustrated but all this, because I was hoping to get the maximum possible resource farming out of minimum possible bases. That seems unlikely unless I get quite lucky. Also, finding an 'ideal' spot could take a long, long time. (example, a spot with a power node, a nitrogen node, a paraffinium node, and a copper/emeril/etc... node in range... the time spent searching is going to be obscene.

The ideal solution at this point I think would be removing Base Computers as a teleport target, and requiring a built portal (even an inactive one) to be able to see a base on the teleporter menu. Probably going to go suggest that.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Is it a new thing that you can left click to scan flora/fauna? That's super awesome.

Scanning birds was a giant pain before. But I guess I never tried clicking to scan.

• Options
    Selner wrote: »
    Is it a new thing that you can left click to scan flora/fauna? That's super awesome.

Scanning birds was a giant pain before. But I guess I never tried clicking to scan.

That is new.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Huh..I used to be able to craft microprocessors...I have a quest asking me to craft one as a component for artemis’ translation device and..I can’t..just not in my buildables list like I never had the blueprint...this is confusing and annoying

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    crashes seem to be better now

• Options
    The system I started my VR game in is terrible, no planets that aren't burning hells or radiation wastes. Trying to decide if I start over or just push through to my jump drive. There is no where here I want to build my starter base :|

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i got a firestorm within like 5 minutes of finding my crashed ship on the awakenings tutorial mission, so that was pretty exciting. I ended up just hiding in my ship until it passed since I wasn't sure if my thermal protection would be up to crossing terrain with the storm ongoing.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The system I started my VR game in is terrible, no planets that aren't burning hells or radiation wastes. Trying to decide if I start over or just push through to my jump drive. There is no where here I want to build my starter base :|

I got a regular radiation planet that I started on, an airless world, and a temperate planet with nearly no hot rainstorms ever. It's practically perfect, except that I'm an idiot and my initial base is in an area with almost no resources nearby. I have to travel fucking forever to gather copper and the like. That's okay though, I'll eventually tear all this down and build somewhere else, but I'm liking this pretty, peaceful planet otherwise so far.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    So, there is now(or at least more) non-organic life in the universe
    2BFEE48E1C9D1C25585715AA7F80E6D653CFEF11

Also, some glitch worlds now have "stabilized" glitches, which you can collect and place in your base as decoration.
    97DBBE394F231735AB062CD75A614F7863ACEC84

Some of the Atlaspass V3 rooms seem to be a bit flashier as well.
    163AF0C197CFD2024082D11B00F9D603FF4D23CF