As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone has a [Podcast]

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    new quick look on GB called Strike Vector EX

it looks... rad?

I thought the first Strike Vector was fun, but between being on an aging laptop and connecting to American servers in Japan, playing the game was pretty impossible for me, and by the time I got back stateside the servers were dead.

This one being on console only totally kills it for me, so that's a bummer.

I'm pretty sure its just an updated version of the first game?

I would like to play an updated version of the first game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    MAL WAS HERE

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    MAL WAS HERE

I wasssss gonna end the post with that, but I post entirely too much about my unhealthy lifestyle/drinking habits and didn't want people to actually read into it.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    boy howdy did honey I shrunk the kids send a young tdot down a dark path

Is that when you discovered giantesses and vore

Nah, just really wanted to form an emotional connection to an ant, something reality can never really deliver on. He had mostly come to terms with it until Ant-Man ripped that scab right off.

look you joke but Anty is cinema's greatest hero

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I thought about hoverboards when I was a kid, and now they're everywhere.

Those things are nothing like the hoverboards we thought about as children, they are dirty misbranded liars and also most of them are electrical fires waiting to happen.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I can't believe Vinny said he was "thirsty for Mass Effect" without Alex calling him on it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Man
    Meundies are expensive
    with a 25% off podcast code you could spend $72 for a 6 pack, or $112.5 for a 10 pack.
    Hard to justify when you can get a 6 pack of regular underwear for $12

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Me undies are insanely expensive

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Mal uh

definitely don't shoot anyone

sig.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    He was doing a Shawshank Redemption bit.

• Options
    Felt like a bit, couldn't put my finger on it, said that just in case.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So this is like the 4th time that specific Jet Moto demo has shown up on Demo Derby, right?

sig.gif
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Mal uh

definitely don't shoot anyone

I don't even own a gun :( I was doing a goof

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    I've seen that movie a bunch, too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Man
    Meundies are expensive
    with a 25% off podcast code you could spend $72 for a 6 pack, or $112.5 for a 10 pack.

They're the most comfortable underpants I've ever worn, I have no regrets.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Man
    Meundies are expensive

They're the most comfortable underpants I've ever worn, I have no regrets.

See, my thing is, my current underwear isn't uncomfortable, so the "additional comfort" factor just doesn't seem to outweigh the cost.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'd just be worried that the Meundies are so comfortable that I wouldn't be able to go back to normal undies and I'd end up in the poor house with a comfy butt and tackle.

• Options
    How many pairs of underwear do you really need though?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    At least three pairs a day.

• Options
    Store-bought underwear is almost as bad as mattress shopping.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

But at least it's not standing in line at the post office!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    throw off the shackles of big underwear, my friends

ye need not its puritanical mores

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    As a pretty perpetually broke person. The ads on podcasts just aren't for me.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    In hindsight, the best Podcast Advertising product is definitely Ex Machina

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I'm not doing laundry more than once a week, so a bare minimum of 8.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    In hindsight, the best Podcast Advertising product is definitely Ex Machina

That was a very good movie. And renting it was actually affordable rather than 70 dollar undies or 750 dollar mattresses or whatever.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

But at least it's not standing in line at the post office!

At least I only need to go to the post office like once a year

But every Sunday, 4 AM, ugh, honey wake up, it's time to go mattress shopping.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I'm not doing laundry more than once a week, so a bare minimum of 8.

If I'd had mine longer and was more sure of their longevity, I'd say that replacing all your underwear one pair at a time would be easily worth it in the long run.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    new quick look on GB called Strike Vector EX

it looks... rad?

Strike Vector was REALLY rough when it first debuted in early access

but I should totally check this out in the year of our lord, 2016

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Anyone got any good science podcast recommendations?

Taking a course this semester on teaching science to elementary students and its kinda rekindle my interest in scientific learning, and figure podcasts could be a fun way to fit more science into my day.

Generally speaking I'm interested more in fact oriented shows than personality driven shows.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I was thinking of this earlier when you said you wanted the dollop but just the facts

There are really very few podcasts in that vein because in general if someone wants that they can just read it

I would argue even hardcore history is at least partially personality based

Straight fact podcasts with no personality don't seem to be much of a thing, there's just not a ton of inventive to make them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Inquisitor Like hardcore science, or just interesting science center stories?

Ever listen to Radiolab?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I was thinking of this earlier when you said you wanted the dollop but just the facts

There are really very few podcasts in that vein because in general if someone wants that they can just read it

I would argue even hardcore history is at least partially personality based

Straight fact podcasts with no personality don't seem to be much of a thing, there's just not a ton of inventive to make them

I've listened to a few different straight fact podcasts over the years, they tended to be focused on specific historical topics, however.

History of Rome, The History of WW2, and the like.

• Options
    astronomycast.com/ is about Astronomy.

In Our Time covers science, history and culture.

scientificamerican.com/podcasts/ Bunch of tiny little podcasts covering whatever is going on in Scientific American.

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Inquisitor Like hardcore science, or just interesting science center stories?

Ever listen to Radiolab?

Either could be interesting!

I have not listened to Radiolab and so on the list it goes, thanks!

So far the only Science podcast I've checked out myself is The Naked Scientists, which seemed relatively fact oriented. Listened to their episode on coffee and how it interacts with chemicals in the brain. I think the most interesting bit I learned is that how fast coffee is broken down by the liver is heavily determined by genetics, which explains why some folks can't have coffee without being jittery for the rest of the day and why I've always been able to have a cup of coffee and go to bed an hour later.

• Options
    Also, the BBC has a big archive of stuff that is usually worth poking around.

bbc.co.uk/podcasts/genre/scienceandnature

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    boy howdy did honey I shrunk the kids send a young tdot down a dark path

I remember being a kid way too young to have any kind of sexual attraction to anything

And feeling a weird inexplicable thrill during the shrinking scenes in those movies

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    There's this very fun podcast that the ladyfriend introduced me to, called Switched on Pop. It's hosted by two musical theory wonks who enthusiastically dissect elements of pop music, and talk about all the things that can go into a good pop song.

It's really cool! If you already like a song, you might learn about a new element of it and deepen your appreciation for it. If it's about a song you hate, it's kinda cool to hear about the good parts of it in a more specific/clinical way, and maybe appreciate what other people see in it (even if your opinion of the song doesn't change). And learning about new music terminology is pretty neat, since I don't have any musical training but listen to a butt-ton of music.

An episode I just listened to was about modulation. I'd just always called it a "key change," so learning a bit more about what it actually is, and how it's implemented, was appreciated. Talked about some of the different ways it can be used (to show off, or to heighten emotional stakes, or to reflect some content of the lyrics, or all of the above), with plenty of examples.

I guess the closest point of comparison would be Song Exploder. But it's simultaneously broader (by dealing with more than one song at a time) and more specific (since it pushes in really close on one element of those multiple songs). It's also a little more focused, a little less likely to be hijacked by an interviewee who doesn't really get the point of the enterprise (or who isn't particularly communicative), a little more consistent from week to week. Just two fun music nerds having fun with hyper-specific music conversations. A very good time.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Anyone got any good science podcast recommendations?

Taking a course this semester on teaching science to elementary students and its kinda rekindle my interest in scientific learning, and figure podcasts could be a fun way to fit more science into my day.

Generally speaking I'm interested more in fact oriented shows than personality driven shows.

Science Friday, the podcast version of the NPR show, is pretty good. First half is science news, second half is in-depth stories about science. Either deeper explorations of a topic, or interviews with sciencers, or conversations about a sci-fi book/movie.

This discussion has been closed.