As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone has a [Podcast]

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The only thing that makes me okay with reading Lovecraft's less racist stories is that near the end of his life he recanted a lot of those beliefs

That doesn't excuse them, really? But it makes me okay with enjoying his less problematic works

...oh we're not talking about that anymore

Uh

Shitposting is shit

I don't have a personal problem reading Lovecraft's stuff. Was he racist as hell? Definitely. Did his racism inform his writing? Absolutely.

But it's not like if I buy, read and enjoy one of his stories that I'm somehow furthering a racist agenda.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The only thing that makes me okay with reading Lovecraft's less racist stories is that near the end of his life he recanted a lot of those beliefs

That doesn't excuse them, really? But it makes me okay with enjoying his less problematic works

...oh we're not talking about that anymore

Uh

Shitposting is shit

I don't have a personal problem reading Lovecraft's stuff. Was he racist as hell? Definitely. Did his racism inform his writing? Absolutely.

But it's not like if I buy, read and enjoy one of his stories that I'm somehow furthering a racist agenda.

That's the other thing, is that he's long dead and died poor, penniless, and alone

He never achieved success or recognition and didn't have many friends

You're not furthering anything of his either, because all his shit is public domain

He didn't get anything good out of it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I'd definitely prefer to read more stories in that world through the POV of a character who wasn't an asshole academic, though, so that Ballad of Black Tom book sounds pretty dope.

I'm happy to hear that

I would also highly recommend checking out She Walks In Shadow, am anthology that's focused on women in the Lovecraft universe

25118836.jpg

I believe our very own @Quoth has a story in this!

Well that settles it.

Bought.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    New episode of Vicin' in the AM with Scoops and the Professor is up

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I haven't really read specifically about Lovecraft recanting his beliefs but I think a lot of his racism probably derived from his massive cultural insecurity, being from impoverished fallen American aristocracy who struggled with severe money and health problems his entire life. I like to think if he did soften that stuff as he got older that financial security and becoming more comfortable with his status as an outsider and genre author would lessen his need to overcompensate by placing other races below him.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lovecraft was pretty darn misanthropic in general.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    New episode of Vicin' in the AM with Scoops and the Professor is up

Dr. SmokesWeed getting them advertising dollars

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    my favorite portrayal of HP Lovecraft is the comic Planetary, where he cracks a cosmic conspiracy, then completely misreads the situation because he's a batshit racist

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    This week's Friends at the Table:
    At the end of the episode, for a second I thought Ali said "I put my hands around his neck," and I was like what the fuck, you can't just do that every time!

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Dan is learning about Unix based operating systems on today's UPF.

• Options
    Dan hates this.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    "Is this like the ASC2 thing with the middle finger?"

Dan

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Dan is staring into the most boring abyss he can imagine

Not sure I disagree with him, to be honest

• Options
    That was like detention for Dan. Dantention.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    jack's halfcocked explanation of why this particular Hitchcock has his spiritbane charm in the first valentine affair ep just killed me

"a ghost is gonna get you, mate"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Jeff spending a bunch of time playing that text game then saying Darkest Dungeon is overwhelming.

They're probably kind of similar actually, in that looking at them from the outside without actually trying yourself is just a mess of complicated shit happening.

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I finished listening to episode 13 of the Digital Moncast, which was the finale of the first arc, so it's time to move into a more ridiculous story arc.
    "I don't know where she gets off going to a wedding. There are Digimon to talk about."
    "That was a poor choice of wording, because it would very much be Digimon without animation."
    "Gennai only shows up like five times, and every time he's a massive dick."
    "There's a subtitle that just says 'digi-babies crying.' Which, good on you, subtitles, for figuring out how this show works."
    "Man, Garurumon's a fucking crack shot at that, isn't he?" "Well, at least when they don't feel like animating him he is."
    Digimon does have pretty good background music
    That boat would really be useful in the next episode
    "He flipped his sprite. Very important trick." That one's a deep cut
    "Fucking Tentomon will chime in with, oh that's the forest cliff."
    "By the way, it should be illegal to show Kabuterimon biting anything."
    "I guess in this case, it would be Mon-os." ugh
    SkullSatamon is a ridiculous name even by Digimon standards
    I wouldn't say Gennai is the worst. He's pretty bad, but compared to some mentors I've seen in other things lately...
    "And despite everything happening, I feel like the lack of animation, or voice direction, or talent in any form at any stage of the process, really, really hindered things."
    "It's like somebody is trying to do the tone and cadence of Storm in the X-Men cartoon, but with a bird voice." "While squawking like a bird."
    Wow, that watermelon line is rough
    "We could dedicate literal hours to ranting about Adventure 02, and we will! When we watch Adventure 02!"
    "Completely throw her under the Busmon."
    "I'm gonna be that person who says Chicken Crimpy. Fuck you all who say Chicken Crimpy is terrible." I love hearing beefs that I don't know anything about at all
    "Barbecue is still the best."
    I'm sorry about what you're going through with Arnott's Shapes, Australia

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    oh my god their plan in the Valentine Affair is SO bad

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    oh my god their plan [literally every time] is SO bad

listen don't trust the 6ix to pull a smooth heist

they're mildly worse planners than the chime and the chime basically walked face first into

well

yknow

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Im finally checking out that FatT holiday special.

"The Goose Nog is my favorite max fun podcast"
    Is an incredibly specific and dated reference, that comes back around to being good again

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Please make awkwardly stumbling though a not quite fleshed out concept for an opening segment the opening segment of TWA.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    ckdlCIe.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Seeing today's UPF break Dan was enjoyable

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Oh man, the latest Rosebuddies has Rachel pointing out Griffin's "Good good [adjective] boy" joke formula and the pause before he responds is very long. I wonder if he realized he did it so often

I love it

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oh man, the latest Rosebuddies has Rachel pointing out Griffin's "Good good [adjective] boy" joke formula and the pause before he responds is very long. I wonder if he realized he did it so often

I love it

it's so good

"what, you're saying my comedy has a formula?"

"Well, yeah, it's just good good adjective boy."

"...yeah no you're right"

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Friends at the Table season 1 episode 20...
    Really cool mechanics here! It is a real shame about Art's audio issues. It is OK for most of the ep, but there were a couple of sections where I couldn't hear him at all.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's the high holy holiday of the Flop House season, Shocktober

And there are 3 Shocktober episodes this year, starting with the one that just came out Victor Frankenstein, that weird movie with James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    To close the evening and put a heart-stamp of goodwill onto the evening, MBMBaM saved a final surprise for the end when Justin announced all of the proceeds ($12,000) from Friday night's concert would go to the Recovery Point of Huntington. The brothers had already partnered with Plus One so that $1 from every ticket went to the Branches Domestic Violence Shelter in Huntington.

The Recovery Point is a long-term facility helps people who are battling addiction and alcoholism using peers who have “been there and done that” provide the unique insights that are beneficial to helping others find recovery. In West Virginia, The Recovery Point Family of Organizations consists of Recovery Point of Huntington, Recovery Point of Charleston, and Four Seasons Recovery Center in Bluefield.

While Griffin joked that he was counting on that money and is going to have to take back the hot tub from Rent-A-Center, Justin said seriously, that while they were originally going to donate the $1,250 from poster sales to Recovery Point, but decided in the spirit of Candlenights to just give all of the proceeds to Recovery Point.

That donation comes on the heels of the McElroy brothers' annual Candlenight's charity cause of having their fans fill the Empty Stockings over the past two years, and just recently their The Adventure Zine: fan art book" raising $164,921, of which about half will be given to the Facing Hunger Food Bank.

they are indeed good good candlenights boys

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Please make awkwardly stumbling though a not quite fleshed out concept for an opening segment the opening segment of TWA.

I think we already did that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Man, the dude who sent the PC building e-mail to the Beastcast needs help

sig.gif
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Man, the dude who sent the PC building e-mail to the Beastcast needs help

Seriously. I was kind of taken aback at that email.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I can relate.

Sometimes you don't want any social obligations or the risk of social obligations and then you groan and fret and then through inertia you end up going through with the thing and it is usually fine, I guess.

• Options
    Anyone else have the RSS feed for Austin Walker and Patrick Klepek's podcast not updating?

A new episode went up yesterday and I still don't have it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Anyone else have the RSS feed for Austin Walker and Patrick Klepek's podcast not updating?

A new episode went up yesterday and I still don't have it

this rss feed is different from monday's, i use it and have ep 2

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, Dan Ryckert really can't sing. Not like he's unaware of it, though.

I did practically die at his Springsteen, though.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i am now no longer sure if I don't know what shitposting is, or if Vinny Caravella doesn't know what shitposting is

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    i am now no longer sure if I don't know what shitposting is, or if Vinny Caravella doesn't know what shitposting is

I think its a word that people have different definitions for

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    is this not a shitpost? this is what i would call a shitpost

and obviously you could structure a joke like that such that it's politcally motivated or hurtful to others but i certainly don't think of that as an essential feature

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it's not an essential part by any stretch, hateful people just try to play off what they're doing as more benign activities

• Options

new phone background

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.