As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sins of a Solar Empire - totally not Homeworld 3

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Still no key! God dammit! Everyone around me has their key, but not I. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Still no key! God dammit! Everyone around me has their key, but not I. :(
    Its ok dashui..i'm stuck in the horrible keyless limbo with you D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I should be able to go to and buy a box in a store right?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    this didn't take long did it?
    ISDs.jpg

screenshot2et0.png

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I was reading this book about the life of the prophet Muhammad and I realized that Muhammad's tribe was like the Kushan/Hiigarans, the tribe they took Mecca from like the Taiidan, and the group his tribe took the trade routes from were the Bentusi. That is where the comparisons end because there is no single character in the Homeworld story that seems to resemble Muhammad and instead, the entire Kushan/Hiigaran people emulate him.

No.

You are wrong.

The Kushan are the... well... KUSHAN EMPIRE. They were an actual empire, I think in the India area. They were pushed out of their homes by someone, I don't remember who. Then after a few hundred years, they went back and kicked ass.

But then they were attacked by the Mongols, or "maygar"(spelling?) in their tongue. See: Homeworld 2.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I literally cannot wait to get home and buy this tonight. I havent been this excited about a game since Master of Orion 3, I just hope this one turns out to be as good as I thought MOO3 would be. God that game was a dissapointment, even thinking about it depresses me. Save me from glum feelings SOASE! Be playable both in macro and micro management mode, with advantages for either!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That was actually done quite a whiles ago, via a beta testing importing into the beta build. But apparently Sins is readily moddable, and has a mod selector built-in. Several mods are planned, including the usual Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, etc. etc.

Also I just finished my first little skirmish, on a small map vs an easy turtling Advent AI. I have to say, the easy AI was better than the best AI beta 4 had to offer. I hope the harder AIs don't hurt me. :o

All graphics set to max (1280x1024 res) on my Athlon X2 4800+, Radeon X1800XT 512mb, 2GB DDR system was mostly fine, with a bit of slowdown (around 20fps) during the biggest battle of the match (in which 4 capital ships and around 50 frigates were involved, plus some structures and turrets, that's friend and foe count). That seems pretty damn good to me.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Downloading. Old laptop gods, don't fail me now!

(PS: Someone should set up an experimental AI stomp sometime to start out the multiplayer bonanza)

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yes! I got my key! That download was fast, too. I'm installing now. Is anyone up for a big game?

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    We should create a list of players, since the game has a buddy list. My name is Vacorsis, so add me. No need to wait for invites or accept them. Friends are added automatically.

Dashui on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Finally got my damn key. Sent them a nastygram about how stupid it is for pre-orders to have waited like this.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Grr, my futureshop always gets games 2 days late

I will be there soon fellow starfighters!

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Got my key, too.

I'll be downloading tonight after work...

Doronron on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Where is my precious :(

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Question

Are you able to name 1)ships? 2)Your empire (as opposed to keeping the default names) 3)planets?

I always love the small customization aspects of strategy games, especially naming

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Question

Are you able to name 1)ships? 2)Your empire (as opposed to keeping the default names) 3)planets?

I always love the small customization aspects of strategy games, especially naming

1) Yes, but capital ships only
    2) No (But you appear as your username in multiplayer games)
    3) Yes

Also (not my work):

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5935&g2_serialNumber=2

Those little white triangles? Standard ISDs to scale against the SSD.

More screens here.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    We should create a list of players, since the game has a buddy list. My name is Vacorsis, so add me. No need to wait for invites or accept them. Friends are added automatically.

If Carnivore's still around we could have him update the OP with a list of players if we go that way, otherwise we can just post in here with names of our accounts and figure out some way while ingame.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What are the specs required to run this?

edit: ok I decided not to be lazy and looked it up:

Minimum Requirements:

Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista
    1.8 GHz Single-Core Processor
    512 MB RAM (1 GB for Windows Vista)
    128 MB DirectX 9 3D Video Card (Radeon 9600 / GeForce FX 6600 and above)
    DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card
    DVD-ROM Drive
    3 GB Hard Drive Space
    Keyboard and Mouse
    DirectX 9.0c
    Recommended Requirements:
    2.2 GHz Dual- or Quad-Core Processor
    1 GB RAM (2 GB for Windows Vista)
    256 MB DirectX 9 3D Video Card (Radeon X1600 / GeForce 7600 and above)

I wonder if my P4 1.6 would be cutting it too close? =)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/faqs.aspx

2nd question, I think.

Also, if my laptop runs it cleanly, almost any computer that has successfully run a game in the last four-five years should run it just fine.

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just got my serial, unfortunately my net connection just throttled itself back to about 20 KB/s until 11 pm ish 8 minutes ago (fuck you satellite) so no Solar Empires for me today :(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Considering people are chucking B5, BSG, Star Wars, and Star Trek into this, I kinda hope someone starts developing some Wing Commander models, as well.

The only thing on my laptop that concerns me regarding system reqs is my nVidia graphics chipset. I expect I'll be running everything at low, but it's not such a huge deal.

Is Sins game replay capable? I enjoy watching a good PvP match in RTS games almost as much as playing skirmishes.

Doronron on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Question

3) Yes

Also (not my work):

More screens here.

I've been keeping my eye on this game but holy shit am I a star wars nerd and goddamn those screenshots make me giddy.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What kind of video card do you have Doronron?

Malkor on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope this game has a larger online community than the Homeworld games.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    What kind of video card do you have Doronron?

It's an nVidia GeForce Go 6150 (laptop here) -- it has SM 3.0 architecture, but won't run it all that all that fast unless I drop the resolution down to 800x600 or so. I can run MTW2+Xpack on it just fine, Hellgate does alright, and not quite enough FPS to run Crysis on the lowest settings.

Doronron on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To what I said earlier, I felt that the HW series in general emulated the history of Mecca before Muhammad simply because of the change in power of 3 empires/culture group. But yours also works quite well. I just felt that the Arab peninsula was a closer match because a lot of the names of certain areas are taken from the bible which the Quran was based upon.

But I digress.

This graphical awesomeness has me pining for a kick ass video card and more time so that I could mod the ships of the Exo-force, the pirate clans, and the Neo-Sapien empire. I just loved that show so much that awesome games like these makes my heart tingle.

So, how bad would it be if I played it with a 1.7 ghz processor?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I have a 2.1 gig processor, 512 ram, and some weird laptop only ATI card. I just played through all the demos except the first one, which has no tutorial text (which seems to be a common problem) and it was playing just fine. I turned down the details for ships and planets and thats helping it speed up. For those of you with older systems, I think it should be ok. There is a LOT of customization as far as how much detail you want, and I'd nose around the forums to see how people have been able to get the best bang for their buck with settings. I haven't messed with shaders and suchlike yet, just model details, and its still running nice and smooth, so most everyone should be ok.

Also, this looks like the type of game thats going to have a lot of semi-hidden synergies; I predict there'll be a few weeks of "wow, this really affects gameplay more than we thought" until people figure out formulas and suchlike as they always do.

Now to play for real. Hurray!

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, how bad would it be if I played it with a 1.7 ghz processor?

I have a 1.7ghz processor and it runs great.

rayofash on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Question

3) Yes

Also (not my work):

More screens here.
    So, wait, warlords went to Sins from HW2? That's going to be epic.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    On Vista when launching: "Sins of a Solar Empires has stopped working"

Fucking great.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Fucking great.

uh-oh. I'm using Vista too. Almost done.

Malkor on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What about using an ATI mobility 9700 with 128 mb memory on a laptop with 512 mb ram?

edit: Just looked back at the requirements and my 3 year old LP might right it instead of Episode 1 (vortigunts were all black as was the initial explosion and the Gman had no head)

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Fucking great.

Me too. I'll post back whatever happens when it's ready.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I use Vista, and it's fine. And everyone else I've played with so far uses Vista, and they're fine. It's probably not Vista itself that's causing your problems. But just in case, check Windows Update for any new updates or fixes, as well as updating your audio and video drivers.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Not saying it's necessarily Vista, but that's the first thing people would ask if I posted that error without it (well, except "has stopped working" is a Vista thing, but whatever).

I have a 512MB GeForce 7700 on this laptop, so I'll see what driver works best. Got it to work by running Windows Update for my card, but it put an older version of the driver on. Going to try the latest from laptopvideo2go.

Edit: seems to be working, although the initial load is long. Installed whatever driver they had at laptopvideo2go.com because Asus is a lazy bitch who doesn't update their drivers for this video card often enough.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    harvest wrote: »

Fucking great.

I'm running Vista and it's working fine for me.

By the way, what someone mentioned about the differences between Beta AI and launch AI... I just found out the hard way. First game with Advent, Huge map 5v4v1 with Medium AI (yes, I'm on the 5 side, want to learn before the Oh No stage). I start building up a fleet at a choke point system a couple jumps from my home planet, when I notice a nice, juicy Terran planet right next door, guarded by a VERY large group of rebels. I eventually build up a fleet of a level 5 Battleship, supported by 2 Carrier Cruisers, 4 Defense ships and a group of 8 frigates. Jump in, start wiping the floor with the rebels, but take losses from the large number of Heavy Kodiaks they have. Get them down to 2 left with a collection of LRM Frigs in support in close orbit to the planet when I suddenly notice a large clump of Not-My-Color have just jumped in on the other side of the planet. I take a moment to check the enemy fleet, and find it consists of 4 Capital ships supported by a balanced fleet twice my fleet's size. My Battleship and 1 Frigate made it back to base. They proceed to colonize the planet that I just cleared the rebel fleet from.
    I do not remember hating the AI as much as I did right then in beta...
    (Thankfully, they then bit off more than they should have, raiding deep in my Ally's territory with half their fleet, letting me pop back in with my replenished fleet and raid three planets deep, wiping out their economy before falling back to that first planet as the Pirates I paid off hit them)

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ^

I need this game right now.

50%

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ze game, she runs. I can apparently get away with high effects and a bit of anti-aliasing. Kinda nice.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    harvest wrote: »

Fucking great.

Everything is fine on my Vista.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This was... interesting. I need to build units faster; I always get caught up in developing my economy/research that I fall behind. Of course, that may be a plus in a MP game if people divide duties...

That said, once people get this loaded up we should start a few 2v2 or 3v3 games, humans vs humans or vs AI or something.

Threelemmings on
This discussion has been closed.