As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sins of a Solar Empire - totally not Homeworld 3

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This was... interesting. I need to build units faster; I always get caught up in developing my economy/research that I fall behind. Of course, that may be a plus in a MP game if people divide duties...

That said, once people get this loaded up we should start a few 2v2 or 3v3 games, humans vs humans or vs AI or something.

2v2 or 3v3? Pfft. We need to do 5v5! You can save multiplayer games, and since some of these games can last days or even months, we don't have to lose our progress.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    On Vista when launching: "Sins of a Solar Empires has stopped working"

Fucking great.

uh-oh. I'm using Vista too. Almost done.

Me too. I'll post back whatever happens when it's ready.

Everything is fine on my Vista.

Workin' fine for me too. Yay digital distribution.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    People need to post some screenshots from their games. Since I won't be able to afford this game until I get a new job I require pictures of Motherships kicking ass and carriers with plenty of fighters swooping around.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Question about using Stardock to download it, can you download it onto one computer and then transfer the file to another computer and install it there? The only computer I have with a good connection I don't really play games on.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Vista works fine.

Also, Advent bombers are the shit. I mean it. Not to mention the beams look all fancy like. The carrier is so much fun once you hit level 6 on it. The amount of bombers it drops out is impressive to say the least.

I love how the advent "doomsday" weapon is a mind control beam. And god allmighty does it work. I built one on a planet surrounded by 4 other planets, all with maxed whatever they call broadcasts. Fire beam at planet, watch said planet drop so fast. And then it spreads. Oh god does it spread. And then you realize that hey, you get vision everywhere your beam goes. Much slaughter is had by all.

Of course, getting to this point in the game took a while, but it was so much fun. 6 hours, gone. And I was planning on going to bed 2 hours ago. More people need to add an ingame clock.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Take. Screenshots. Of. The. Super. Weapons.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got my ass kicked in my first game. Pirates are the rape machine from beyond the void.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    91%! Download faster!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Take. Screenshots. Of. Everything. Ever.

I want to put on a slideshow and be able to pretend I am playing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    More people need to add an ingame clock.

Please no, this just makes too easy to rationalize "10 more minutes." "15 more minutes." "Fuck it I'm not sleeping." I'd rather feel remorse after I realize its 5am, rather than see it coming way too fast.
    The_Scarab wrote:

Yes! I wanna see the pretties, especially since I know I won't be able to run it on that level of detail :(
    harvest wrote:
    I got my ass kicked in my first game. Pirates are the rape machine from beyond the void.

This always seemed to happen to me in WC3, I'd roll out with the hero and a small force of basic guys, which is always, always not enough meat shields. Then as I'm healing the hero and retraining footmen, my base gets raped.

Arrath on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Woot, installed! Looks purty. Anyway, my Ironclad name be: Aegis

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remember when I was playing in the beta the pirates would always take turns curb stomping me with Kodiak rushes while the hostile AI brought three or four cap ships into play. :(

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did Stardock Central stop working? I cant login to my account, this is taking the piss.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was getting all psyched to play this with you guys, but I get a disconnect error whenever I try to create an Ironclad Online account.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Blair FraserBlair Fraser Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does your firewall let Sins through? The FAQ here should be able to help get you in and the hosting.
    http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=408&aid=174863

Blair Fraser on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Does your firewall let Sins through? The FAQ here should be able to help get you in and the hosting.
    http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=408&aid=174863

Yeah everything worked perfectly before I went to bed, I can do just about everything on Stardock that doesn't involve logging in :| Trying to poke people in their IRC channel but think they're all sleeping.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Right, I figured it out. For some reason the email tied to my account got changed because I used it to buy Sins.

Installing!

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are there any photos around of the CE contents? I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending $22 on shipping to get it.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Playing through the tutorials since I bought too late to get into the beta. Once my physical copy arrives, I'll actually read the manual.

This thing runs a hell of a lot better than I expected it to. Wonder how it'll do on large random maps?

@ squirly: I think this is the collector's edition box, but I'm not sure:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=403&aid=174093

Click on the picture in the link to get a larger view.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Note to self: Do not skip the tutorials and jump into a 5 star, hundred planet map with 10 computer opponents. While fun, one quickly runs into the problem of not preparing enough in advance to build up one's civilian infrastructure. Watching my flow of credits run dry is :(

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    3% downloaded.....FASTER DAMN YOU. Someone capture a game and youtube it or something :(

Arrath on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm having a hard time adapting 4x skills and thought processes to a real-time game.

Also, pirates are a little over the top.

captaink on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Want. Also am lending my voice to the cause of more screens to tide us poverty-stricken berks over.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time adapting 4x skills and thought processes to a real-time game.

Also, pirates are a little over the top.

They're annoying to kill off to start with, but aren't that bad. Later they serve quite well to distract your enemy if you can set the bounty high enough.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pirates are useful as hell. Just pay attention to the warning and scrounge up money however you can to jack up the bounty for whoever you hate the most. Once the pirates launch they'll make a beeline for whichever faction has the highest bounty, doing little more than taking potshots at anyone of a different faction en route (to the point where you can control the system the pirates have to go through whenever the leave and never have to worry about defending that system if you work the bounty properly).

Great for wearing down and distracting an opponent. If they were weaker they'd be a non-factor in the game.

They're also good for building up levels on a cap ship or two if you either invade their base (capturing a pirate base is a free 2.5 income/sec) or take on the pirate swarms directly.

Lost my first go at Retail, didn't know the Advent tech tree too well and the new research UI took me a minute to adjust to for them (wonder if I can go back to the beta UI for research, liked it a little more). Ended up losing first go, which was a FFA, due to not completing the quests. Not a fan of that mechanic really so I opted for a fixed 2v2 second time with fast game speed. Won the second game pretty well and had some nice battles, with the finale being about 7 cap ships from 3 factions + several dozen smaller craft duking it out.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Checked the exchange rate for American pesos, whipped out the credit card, boughtinated, downloadinating.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh and I'll have some screenshots up in a moment. Probably not the best quality but least you can see me get my ass roasted >_>

This is a quick partial shot of a pirate fleet.

So the save game I loaded had a pirate swarm (note the skulls above their ships) just about to jump into the home system of my computer opponent. They were still milling about the star so I figured I'd nab a shot of them. There were about 7-8 ships offscreen. Mostly frigates and cruisers.

Closeup of half my fleet, focusing on my two battleships.

Where this develops from is that about 10 minutes earlier I received a whisper from my computer telling me I should evacuate my north planet. I zoom in and they've brought in 2 battleships, 8 planetary bombers, and assorted frigates to bombard my planet. Naturally the fleet you see above was taking its sweet time crossing the star's gravity well and by the time they got to my planet, the computer had wiped out its population. I think my planetary defenses took out 3 or so of their Scourges.

Overview of the map with all planets explored (small one).

The top most planet is the one that got seiged. The orange is me, blue's the computer, and the skull's naturally where the pirate ships come from (I peeked in there. They have a good 20-30 ships guarding it so I thought against blowing them up.) Anyway, my fleet eventually arrives to the top planet and I begin the engagement. Fighters are launched back and forth as the planetary bombers break off and their fleet turns to me. We almost get together before I get an announcement telling me that the pirates are about to launch an attack. Which is fine, because I made sure the computer was the target. What I didn't expect was the computer's fleet I'm currently shooting at to abandon their fight with me, to retreat back to their home base. Most of their fleet manages to escape though I manage to focus fire (I <3 Ion Cannons) one of their two battleships until it blows up.

My fleet about to phase warp.

Well, I follow them since I've rescued the planet, but they got enough of a lead on me to get back to their home base while I'm stuck at the star. Since I'm now wanting to take some neat screenpics I decide to order my ships to jump into the enemy's home system and see about getting destroyed.

The enemy's home planet. Note the multitude of Beam Defense Cannons in the foreground. Apparently they don't like me.

So I hop in, and I'm not sure if you can tell with the pic above, but the entire enemy fleet is currently engaged fighting the pirates that are raiding them (they had the pirates mostly destroyed).

Bye Bye fleet.

Even with the element of surprise, at the time I couldn't do much with about 6 beam cannons operational, so I just kamikaze it. You can see about 5 of my light carriers in the front (no idea where they decided to send their fighters and bombers), and one of my battleships getting hit by about 3 beam cannons at the same time. He's also surrounded by about 8 frickin' bomber/fighter wings. I looked around and the stupid enemy had a Planetary Hanger Defense outpost, so yea.

Shortly thereafter I blew up.

And lastly, my home planet. The Capital Ship construction array's to the left, and in the foreground I think is a Planetary Gauss Defence Cannon.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So whats the game-time like on this? I love 4x strategy games, and enjoy RTS so this seems like a pretty good match for me... but I kinda like when I can sit down and play an entire game in 4-5 hours instead of stretching it out for a week or more. Mostly because its usually a day or between between when I can play and I completely forget what the hell I was doing.

Also, is there any kind of single player campaign or is everything one-off "skirmishes"?

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    'kay. This Stardock thingie is being a total 'tard. Guess it'll be direct download instead.

Echo on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So frustrating, I do not have a credit card and cannot buy this at this present time, sigh. I need to get someone's credit card, again.

For all those who have it can you please stop playing and say if it's worthwhile purchasing? D:

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What the hell.

stoopid.png

I need to install it before I can install it?

edit: ah, ok. that's an update for the main game that the retarded Starcock central won't download.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's all basically 'skirmishes' as it is, no real campaign. There's a random map generator for each map size plus a bunch of premade scenarios (which are just prepared maps).

The games aren't too long unless you go massive size for the map. There's game speed + research speed + resource amounts options. Medium map with only game speed on fast (rest on medium) took like 2-3 hours and I could have won it faster if I wasn't going a little excessive on my attacking forces.

On an unrelated note, the AI can really drive me nuts with its love of hit and run. It'll jump in to my system, start battling, then retreat back to their own space as soon as I jump a sufficient fleet in.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so, wait, what happened to battles that could take months?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You know what would be nice?

If the Stardock thingie could actually log on, or failing that give me some useful information instead of "Login failed".

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh they can if you really want them to. 'Medium' maps are a single system affair. Anything bigger is multi-system. In beta the 'Large' maps seemed to be 2-3 systems, and I've never even tried the biggest.

Edit: Actually it looks like the biggest is part of 'Large': There's an option for a 'Random Huge' game: 5 Systems (bear in mind you have to research up to a specific tech to even jump between systems), 102 Planets, max 10 players. That would definitely take a long ass time to play through if you don't use any of the speed-up options, and even then that's a fuck-load of stuff going on.

You can also pretty easily make your own maps and I've read that the game is pretty modable. I'm sure someone will conjure up something even larger than the 'Random Huge'

steejee on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bah humbug, that took longer to post than I thought!
    Aegis wrote: »
    Oh and I'll have some screenshots up in a moment. Probably not the best quality but least you can see me get my ass roasted >_>

This is a quick partial shot of a pirate fleet.

So the save game I loaded had a pirate swarm (note the skulls above their ships) just about to jump into the home system of my computer opponent. They were still milling about the star so I figured I'd nab a shot of them. There were about 7-8 ships offscreen. Mostly frigates and cruisers.

Closeup of half my fleet, focusing on my two battleships.

Where this develops from is that about 10 minutes earlier I received a whisper from my computer telling me I should evacuate my north planet. I zoom in and they've brought in 2 battleships, 8 planetary bombers, and assorted frigates to bombard my planet. Naturally the fleet you see above was taking its sweet time crossing the star's gravity well and by the time they got to my planet, the computer had wiped out its population. I think my planetary defenses took out 3 or so of their Scourges.

Overview of the map with all planets explored (small one).

The top most planet is the one that got seiged. The orange is me, blue's the computer, and the skull's naturally where the pirate ships come from (I peeked in there. They have a good 20-30 ships guarding it so I thought against blowing them up.) Anyway, my fleet eventually arrives to the top planet and I begin the engagement. Fighters are launched back and forth as the planetary bombers break off and their fleet turns to me. We almost get together before I get an announcement telling me that the pirates are about to launch an attack. Which is fine, because I made sure the computer was the target. What I didn't expect was the computer's fleet I'm currently shooting at to abandon their fight with me, to retreat back to their home base. Most of their fleet manages to escape though I manage to focus fire (I <3 Ion Cannons) one of their two battleships until it blows up.

My fleet about to phase warp.

Well, I follow them since I've rescued the planet, but they got enough of a lead on me to get back to their home base while I'm stuck at the star. Since I'm now wanting to take some neat screenpics I decide to order my ships to jump into the enemy's home system and see about getting destroyed.

The enemy's home planet. Note the multitude of Beam Defense Cannons in the foreground. Apparently they don't like me.

So I hop in, and I'm not sure if you can tell with the pic above, but the entire enemy fleet is currently engaged fighting the pirates that are raiding them (they had the pirates mostly destroyed).

Bye Bye fleet.

Even with the element of surprise, at the time I couldn't do much with about 6 beam cannons operational, so I just kamikaze it. You can see about 5 of my light carriers in the front (no idea where they decided to send their fighters and bombers), and one of my battleships getting hit by about 3 beam cannons at the same time. He's also surrounded by about 8 frickin' bomber/fighter wings. I looked around and the stupid enemy had a Planetary Hanger Defense outpost, so yea.

Shortly thereafter I blew up.

And lastly, my home planet. The Capital Ship construction array's to the left, and in the foreground I think is a Planetary Gauss Defence Cannon.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    You know what would be nice?

If the Stardock thingie could actually log on, or failing that give me some useful information instead of "Login failed".

You have to create a separate account with the same email I believe.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Gaaah.

Start Starcock Central. Choose "I already have an account", enter my info.

I get "The Nickname you have entered is already in use, please use another."

And where the fuck would I do that? There's nowhere to enter it! And it's in use because it's my account, whose info I just entered, that's using it!

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Where? I have an account on Stardock.net and totalgaming.net since years back, and used that to buy it.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Where? I have an account on Stardock.net and totalgaming.net since years back, and used that to buy it.

Oh okay. Hmm, not sure then as it should be the same as the Stardock.net one.

Aegis on
    Characters
This discussion has been closed.