As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sins of a Solar Empire - totally not Homeworld 3

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Well, glad to see the Stardock central is still the same piece of shit it was three years ago.

Echo on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I won as TEC against TEC on the default Small map (14 planets). The pirates were in a chokepoint system seperating our empires. Until I blasted them with an interplanetary bombardment cannon and its twin. The AI hadn't done much on his side of the line, and I totally steamrolled his forces, which always fled. 3.5 hours all told, and a great time.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay. I have an account on totalgaming.net. This is apparently not tied to my Stardock account, which is what makes it throw a hissy fit when I try to log on.

Gah, do I really have to add some silly random numbers to my nickname just to get it to work?

Echo on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Edit: Nevermind.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    On the fence? Download broken? Jealous of everyone else?

Please Note: Pictures Ahead
    (Addendum: You will probably have to buy the game now).

Oh god pirates!
    ScreenShot_0.jpg

BOMBS AWAY!!
    ScreenShot_2.jpg

Attacks from the rear don't do more damage, but they look cool and its what real space bombers would do. 8-)
    ScreenShot_3.jpg

Impact! Take that, space scum!
    ScreenShot_5.jpg

A blitz of ballistics bombard the brigands.
    ScreenShot_8.jpg

Return to base.
    ScreenShot_9.jpg

Now, look back over this section and look at the left of each picture; see those white ships? Those are the pirates, and from the first picture to the last you can see their numbers dwindle. I could track the whole battle just using that and not even having to look at the system view. Thus, less micro; you can see, at a glance, what is going on on every planet you own even if you are focused as close as I was on a tiny tiny part of the battle.

Now, those pirates had to come from somewhere, right?
    Pirate bases are nasty. I don't know how I'll crack this open when I get to it.
    ScreenShot_14.jpg

ScreenShot_15.jpg

Poor scout. The instant I arrived, they all turned and burned straight in his direction :(
    ScreenShot_16.jpg

For scale: Every single white pip on the left is a pirate ship or structure. If you zoom out a bit and mouse over the planet, it tells you exactly whats there. I think there was something like 33 turrets floating out there.
    ScreenShot_17.jpg

Space Battle!
    Yellow bastids have been messing with me the whole game. Time to annihlate their outpost! After I take it, their home system is cut off.
    ScreenShot_24.jpg

Over the shoulder view. If this were a movie, there'd be shakycam about now.
    ScreenShot_26.jpg

Numerical superiority!
    ScreenShot_27.jpg

Note the blue dots; those are at the planet my big attack fleet just came from, where I left a few ships and a bunch of turrets. I don't know if the AI was just chasing a fleet there, or actually saw I was weak and covered my back, but blue moved a bunch of his guys into the chokepoint I had just left and protected my planet from the fleet I was axing; the AI moves away their support ships (bombardment ships, colonizers, etc) when attacked, and half of em flew to the home planet and half of them ran the opposite direction, the chokepoint I had captured. Yellow's whisper is talking about the half going to my planet; all of em were planetbusters. I had turrets up, but blue definitely saved me from getting bruised at the very least. It was pretty cool, and I like to think the AI actually did it on purpose.
    ScreenShot_28.jpg

The boomerangs are said bombardment ships running AWAY from blue back into my fleet. I hate them, so much; the AI usually sends in a fleet along with 8-9 of these, and they head right past you and into the planet. It's a bit annoying because you have to concentrate on them while the AI pounds your backside. I kind think there should be some kind of interdiction, where they can only run past you once they blow at least some of your fleet up. It's kind of a cheap tactic, because even if you have the same number of ships, if they have a 50/50 split you're either going to lose most of your planet or most of your fleet, depending on which you focus on saving.
    ScreenShot_31.jpg

We've cleaned most of them out. Victory lap!
    ScreenShot_43.jpg

Now I get to bombard you!
    ScreenShot_45.jpg

ScreenShot_46.jpg

ITS TOO LATE YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM I WIN!
    ScreenShot_47.jpg

ScreenShot_48.jpg

A sense of scale

First off: the scale in this game is magnificent. It takes a bit to get used to, but you the zoom function works exactly as advertised. Also, know that the game can look much better than this; I had the settings turned down starting out, but was able to up most of the model resolutions to medium/high even on my old laptop.

So. Here's a couple research stations floating around a blurry planet. The purple ribcage to the bottom right is a shipyard.
    ScreenShot_10.jpg

Now I've zoomed out enough to make the icons turn on for the structures. They're actually fairly easy to work out; while some of the frigate classes blur together, you can always tell the difference between the enemy units that matter, especially attack squads vs. planetary bombardment frigates.

ScreenShot_11.jpg

The highlighted planet here is the one we were just looking at. Note the bars to the left, the right, and below each planet; the little pips tell you at a glance which fleets are there. Anything on the left is friendly, anything on the right is an enemy, and anything on the bottom is an orbital structure.

ScreenShot_12.jpg

And here is the solar system!
    ScreenShot_13.jpg

Actually, there's a bit more... We're still the middle system. Half of the players started here, the other half started across the cluster. There's going to be an interesting fight for the middle systems once things settle down in the starting solar systems. (The other start system is out of view).
    ScreenShot_22.jpg

And here's EVERYTHING. Note the colors; technically, you could control most everything from this screen if you had autoplace structures on. However, seeing other fleets is crucial, so most of my time is spent on the solar system level,
    ScreenShot_23.jpg

I have more pictures, but this is enough for one post. Also, if I take more they will be much prettier; I tested it with my settings higher and everything worked fine.

Edit: Aegis' pictures are prettier :( However, I have more!

Also... is your whole background that sky blue-ish color? I wonder if some of the different maps have different background pallets or something. Or maybe there's more settings for me to turn up :p

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    (Addendum: You will probably have to buy the game now).

Oh, I already gave them money, I'm just waiting for a game in return.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yay. Managed to beat it into submission by adding a number to my username.

So now I have two registered accounts with the same email address. Man do they mess things up.

Echo on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think I just added _PA to my PA name Echo, but I can't doublecheck because it won't let me log out! Oh well, least you got it to work.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ...and done downloading with my Big Swedish Internet Penis.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Also... is your whole background that sky blue-ish color? I wonder if some of the different maps have different background pallets or something. Or maybe there's more settings for me to turn up :p

Yea, I got a very bright map with a light green star and blue-ish background. I scaled back from a 5 star map with 100 planets to this one 7 planet one until I learn the ropes. The save I'm at isn't doing that bad either.

Edit:
    Echo wrote: »
    ...and done downloading with my Big Swedish Internet Penis.

O_O That was fast. You on FiOS?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow.

Okay, though tons of planets per star... arg. Although it looked like some weren't planets so much as large structures. But still! It makes the amateur astronomer in me cringe.

But anyways. Wow. Shit dang awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Some are planets durandal. Others are just large asteroids, and you can even get some nebula ones (can't build anything in those).

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow.

Okay, though tons of planets per star... arg. Although it looked like some weren't planets so much as large structures. But still! It makes the amateur astronomer in me cringe.

There are asteroid clusters, dead asteroids (single asteroids that aren't buildable outside some defensive structures), gas giants, various types of planets, the central star for each system, and some other types of locations.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone interested in a small game later? It's too late tonight, but I have most of the afternoon/evening open tomorrow, and I'd like to see how the multiplayer goes. Also, someone figure out how to make the economy run well; I'm still getting the hang of having research/infrastructure/military all on the same level; usually I am on top with one but get beat up because of one of the others.

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    steejee wrote: »
    Wow.

There are asteroid clusters, dead asteroids (single asteroids that aren't buildable outside some defensive structures), gas giants, various types of planets, the central star for each system, and some other types of locations.

Wheee!

I thought that's what I noticed in the screenshots.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, how is the diplomacy in this game?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So there's no real storymode/campaign?

That kind of sucks. Weren't there a couple other homeworld spiritual successors on the way? What were they?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So how do the three Empires differ from each other? I was looking at TEC, since I've always been a sucker for the more "rough" looking ships but it would be nice to know where their strenghts and weaknesses lie as well.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    So, how is the diplomacy in this game?

So far in the short bit of 9 computer opponents I had, it seemed to involve alot of demands on their part: Give me 1000 credits; Give me 200 Metal (though this one was easier to solve); Blow up Player X's ships; etc. Completing their requests tends to give you a 25% boost to rating with them (starts at 0%) whereas failing/ignoring it involves 15% drop.

After a bit they seemed to offer me some trading partnerships and the like, but I ended my game there. Then there's the bounty bit (which is nice) and a black market if you're low on materials.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, even though I've been looking at this game and it looks nice, I know that I have way too many other games to play. Break my resolve and force me to buy it. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So, uh... is the tutorial supposed to do anything but have a bunch of invincible ships firing at my invincible defenses and not saying what the hell I'm supposed to do?

edit: huh. OK. Had to restart the tutorial twice before it started tutorialing.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Note Echo: When doing the initial tutorial, don't click on capital ship abilities until it instructs you to in the tutorial. I had it break, stopping the tutorial as it asked me to spend a point on an ability I had already raised that was now locked out :(

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, load times in this game are low. Really low. Under 10 seconds for a huge random map on my computer.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How fast is your PC?

Iriah on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's a year old rig, Intel 2,3 Ghz Dual Core, 2 gigs of RAM, Nvidia 8600 GT. And running Vista.

This game runs flawlessly. I'm running it maxed, 1680x1050, not seen a drop in framerate yet and I had some epic battles last night.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had a quick game as the TEC on the small random map and its good fun. I'd like to try a game online if anyone is up to it later today around 15:30 GMT.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love the option to save multiplayer games, because even the smallest game can last hours. It's insane. But insanely awesome. :D

Seriously, though, we need to get a player list going so we can add each other all to the buddy list. Give your player name in a post so we can start the rampant friend list adding. I'm Vacorsis.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    wait a second, there is no single player campaign?
    on man i wanted this so much but now ....

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never realized how popular campaigns are in strategy games.

tofu on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    To me they are, since I pretty much never play multiplayer. The fact that there is no single player campaign has jsut convinced me that I won't be getting this until they release one. My guess is that the first expansion pack will include one.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My online handle for Sins is, as always. Demiurge

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was really hoping for a homeworld type campaign. if I want the no singleplayer just skirmish i can load up Gal Civ 2 anytime. I thought this was gonna be a more campaign type oriented game.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I heard they were thinking of releasing the storyline as episodic content.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    There's also some complaints going around that Australian players cant play with the rest of the world because of a ping limit. Seems a bit harsh to isolate oceanic players entirely.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well I went ahead and bought the game. I hope you fuckers are happy.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Well I went ahead and bought the game. I hope you fuckers are happy.

But there's noooooooooooo storymode!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooohHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Spooky.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    V2-GundamV2-Gundam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was playing this during betas 1 & 2 and kind of wandered off. Must say the new design for the Kol is a huge improvement.

Great Game all around. The only thing that can stop me from playing Aurora.

V2-Gundam on
    Stand Up To the Victory!
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    To me they are, since I pretty much never play multiplayer. The fact that there is no single player campaign has jsut convinced me that I won't be getting this until they release one. My guess is that the first expansion pack will include one.
    What exactly were you expecting? This is supposed to be a 4X strategy game, not Starcraft.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    What exactly were you expecting? This is supposed to be a 4X strategy game, not Starcraft.

it's a 4x rts strategy game that was sort of being billed as a successor to homeworld. i was expecting some sort of narrative that i could really get into.

hell evne gal civ has a story mode

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It was never billed as a successor to Homeworld, certainly not by the developers, who refrained from comparing it to anything. It's just something people who hadn't played came up with because hey, it's in space! And it has spaceships! And maybe a couple of the developer's guys used to work with Barking Dog or Relic or whatever.

In other words, and I'll bold this for anyone new to the thread, this is not homeworld based, derived, inspired, tributed nor a spiritual sequel. It just isn't. Don't expect to draw such comparisons during play, you won't.

The only similiarities they share are space, ships, and a tactical 3d battle element.

(Plus this isn't a bash post, I love the game, and I love Homeworld, but they are very different experiences)

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.