Options

[Wrestling] WE LOVE CRUISERWEIGHTS! *CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I actually super liked that.

I generally hate retirement stipulation matches but Dolph's genuine emotion really sold that.

also Miz is 10000% the type of character who would be willing to put his title up just to say he had retired someone. It all just worked.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    The glee with which Miz realized he could end a career was unsettling.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    If Miz doesn't get serious consideration for wrestler of the year in our thread awards we all fucked up btw.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »
    The glee with which Miz realized he could end a career was unsettling.

WWE_Raw_11212011_Miz_Morrison.png

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    If Miz doesn't get serious consideration for wrestler of the year in our thread awards we all fucked up btw.

He is white hot...and Ziggler winning to save his career is the perfect out to move him on to feuding for the big belt. Problem is I don't know how they can...AJ needs to hold it for a while

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    was hoping Harper would have decked Orton after Wyatt was cleared out

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

what?

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Soooooo....Bray isn't even allowed to win at the scary mind games stuff anymore.

• Options
    Glam Slam by Ambrose!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Dean has gone full Nigel McGuiness

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Actually liked the ending

AJ super smart

• Options
    edited September 2016
    That was another very good SDL.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    That was another very good SNL.

WITH MUSICAL GUEST

KID ROCK

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    crwth wrote: »
    That was another very good SNL.

WITH MUSICAL GUEST

KID ROCK

ARGH

• Options
    edited September 2016
    e9pnw59s4jzm.png

bryans confused his instagram story for tout

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Smackdown was good, again. Great main, the ending worked.

I was not happy with the cameramen on both sides of the door during Orton's boilerroom journey. I don't know why they ever do things like that.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever put their career on the line in an IC title match?

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    fuuuuuuuck why did I have to be at a shitty stand-up open mic night, and not at home watching Smackdown
    What are the highlights if I wanna look it up on YouTube?

• Options
    Definitely watch Miz and Ziggler's promos.

This is probably condensed but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OErlPYt2k14

Also did this air on the show? I missed it if so, but it's a really cool package about Miz's career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQKxz-qV_6o

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    So uh, is Dolph opting out early of his contract I wonder.

• Options
    Man I want to do basically nothing other than talk about how great Miz is right now.

The most impressive thing is he really didn't need to get better than he already was, both in the ring and on the mic. The people that didn't already appreciate him probably never will. It's not even like Cena trying to put on five-star matches, the people that dislike Cena all generally accept his skills. Miz has probably an even worse stigma against him from some segments of fans that he'll probably never win over.

And yet he's started putting on great matches, expanding his moveset, and delivering even better promos. I respect the hell out of anyone who does more than they need to. It's not like his job was in jeopardy, he'll always have a place in the midcard. And it's not even like it's a guarantee he'll get pushed up to the main event (although he SHOULD) so it seems even more to just be him wanting to be great.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I still think heel Styles vs heel Miz could work.

• Options
    I agree but WWE is so absurdly averse to heel/heel matchups.

They don't even like face/face matchups. It's maddening.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Remember when The Miz had that first really great Daniel Bryan program in WWE?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I just realized my biggest frustration with WWE booking.

I was saying last night how I wish they could have a face who's just nice, and I still stand by that. But the thing is, I love shade of grey characters too! I'm a huge proponent of having a lot more nuance than clear heels and clear faces.

The WWE's problem, though, is they have characters that don't fit either archetype, which is fine, and yet they still treat them, and book them, and expect the crowd to react to them as either a clear heel or clear face. This is the problem with Roman, and Cena, and Rusev, and Styles post-turn - the latter of which is especially annoying because they had a really good thing going with Styles, genuinely playing up the uncertainty, before committing to him being a heel.

Also like, oftentimes what WWE considers a good person and what I consider a good person don't match up. I want to be able to choose who I root for and who I don't, WWE! Give me complex characters and allow me to decide! Don't just tell me who I'm supposed to root for.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options

I was saying last night how I wish they could have a face who's just nice, and I still stand by that. But the thing is, I love shade of grey characters too! I'm a huge proponent of having a lot more nuance than clear heels and clear faces.

The WWE's problem, though, is they have characters that don't fit either archetype, which is fine, and yet they still treat them, and book them, and expect the crowd to react to them as either a clear heel or clear face. This is the problem with Roman, and Cena, and Rusev, and Styles post-turn - the latter of which is especially annoying because they had a really good thing going with Styles, genuinely playing up the uncertainty, before committing to him being a heel.

Also like, oftentimes what WWE considers a good person and what I consider a good person don't match up. I want to be able to choose who I root for and who I don't, WWE! Give me complex characters and allow me to decide! Don't just tell me who I'm supposed to root for.

Bayley-645x370.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    NXT Bayley and Sami fit those roles, yeah. But main roster Sami has not, and it's maybe too early to tell with Bayley, but I've already been concerned with some of her character's actions.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Man, this new episode of Holy Foley is way better than the rest of the season, amazed they put it up on YouTube for free

• Options
    One of these days Mick Foley playing Sonic The Hedgehog will be up there with that video of Mr. Rogers learning to breakdance in terms of things that inspire good in this world.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    The WWE comic book launches in January.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    So Foley was corrupted pretty quickly huh? Been a douche for a good few weeks making terrible matches or robbing two guys who've destroyed each other of a match for one of the major titles.

I half think that the story they're telling is "Foley is bad at his job". I may be giving the Raw writers too much benefit of the doubt.

I think the they might actually be writing it that he's good at it.

You know, like how they write good guys who bully and shame and all that.
    Sprout wrote: »
    They don't need a 2nd NXT.

Developmental brand extension? ;P
    Kyougu wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way WWE keeps TNA going if they buy it. What's the upside?

They're buying them for the tape library and tape library alone.

Though I guess they could also finally acknowledge their stars working there in the past.

"Hey WWE Universe, guess what? It turns out that Sting didn't vanish off the face of the Earth for more than a decade!"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    NXT Bayley and Sami fit those roles, yeah. But main roster Sami has not, and it's maybe too early to tell with Bayley, but I've already been concerned with some of her character's actions.

I really love the idea of Sami being a genuinely good guy who's been pushed so far that he's teetering on maybe having to push himself over the edge into not-quite-a-heel territory. Everyone has breaking points, it's super relatable. And it was a really big defining part of his story-arc in NXT when he was facing Adrian Neville for the title. There was always the underlying feeling of "Neville knew he had to compromise his morals to win, is Sami going to do the same?" But he didn't, and that's the important part.

And then he started butting heads with Kevin Owens, which has essentially been his story for the past two years, from NXT through to the main roster. And Sami's not-completely-pure tendencies were completely justified on the main roster at first, especially the way he went after Kevin in the Rumble. But somewhere along the way, with Kevin Owens becoming more likable and his own actions easily justifiable, it all got kind of muddled. The fact that Kevin Owens has seemed to move on from their rivalry for the time being while Sami Zayn, even though he definitively won this round can't seem to, doesn't help any.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I guess yeah, if we're treating it as a continuation of his NXT arc then I'm okay with it. But I did like how even when he got pushed to that point, in the Neville match he still threw the belt away rather than use it. That was one of my favourite moments in wrestling ever precisely because actual goodness prevailed.

But I guess I've been thinking WWE is treating his main roster arc as a separate thing but I guess that's no longer really true. Sami is probably the best example of them continuuing a story from NXT to the main show. Which in that case, yeah, I do like how he's been 'corrupted'.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So, unsurprisingly enough, Alberto Del Rio pulled out of the show he was scheduled for in Yakima on Oct 14th.

However, Brother Nero himself has stepped up and will be there to face Rey Mysterio. Hm. I think that's still a win...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Legacy wrote: »
    So, unsurprisingly enough, Alberto Del Rio pulled out of the show he was scheduled for in Yakima on Oct 14th.

However, Brother Nero himself has stepped up and will be there to face Rey Mysterio. Hm. I think that's still a win...

Must not have given him his 5 star hotel room he demanded.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I guess yeah, if we're treating it as a continuation of his NXT arc then I'm okay with it. But I did like how even when he got pushed to that point, in the Neville match he still threw the belt away rather than use it. That was one of my favourite moments in wrestling ever precisely because actual goodness prevailed.

But I guess I've been thinking WWE is treating his main roster arc as a separate thing but I guess that's no longer really true. Sami is probably the best example of them continuuing a story from NXT to the main show. Which in that case, yeah, I do like how he's been 'corrupted'.

Exactly! And like I said, that's the important part in all of it. Because it showed that you don't HAVE to give in, goodness can in fact prevail even in the face of extreme stress and desperation to win. Which is something WWE doesn't do very often or very well.

Ugh, Sami Zayn in NXT was so fucking great.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Legacy wrote: »

Must not have given him his 5 star hotel room he demanded.

Well, it is Yakima...I don't think there's a 5 star hotel room less than 2 hours away...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options

I have long maintained with face turns that merch is the underlying issue. Once booking gets a hint that the crowd is starting to pull for a guy because he is so good despite his character or he has sort of become a cool bad guy who has been working heel they cannot resist turning them to get that sweet, sweet T-shirt and foam finger money. Heel turns can be more creative...they are often story driven, roster balance driven or because the character has grown stale...but making somebody a good guy or keeping them a good guy when a vocal segment has tired of them is all about how much merch they sell.

This discussion has been closed.