As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ok guys important news luke cage is a nicki minaj fan

i knew... he was a man of taste...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ep 3 ending
    That escalated quickly.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Ep 4
    They worked the tiara in. Sweet Christmas!

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So I think maybe this show isn't for me. Not one of these characters is drawing me in at all.

• Options
    Ha, Ep 5
    Everybody wants a piece. This is exactly how you end up with a foot in your ass, man. A rather dapper foot, now.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Given how very plugged in to the broader MCU this one is, it's a little weird there doesn't seem to be any animosity towards the Hulk. He wrecked Harlem in his own movie, that got brought up in Avengers too. And his most recent public appearance was a rampage in AoU. But he gets mentioned in the same breath as the other heroes, no big deal.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    The Luke Cage theme is so good.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    Sweet Christmas episode 6
    Trish Talk!

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Marvel seems to not really wanna commit to Incredible Hulk, even with the oblique reference in Avengers

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Given how very plugged in to the broader MCU this one is, it's a little weird there doesn't seem to be any animosity towards the Hulk. He wrecked Harlem in his own movie, that got brought up in Avengers too. And his most recent public appearance was a rampage in AoU. But he gets mentioned in the same breath as the other heroes, no big deal.

Maybe the people of Harlem never bought into the cover story that Hulk was responsible for the Harlem destruction, and rightly thought he was defending them from The Abomination. His defense of the city during the invasion and later membership in the Avengers would have reinforced that perception.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Parisa Fitz-Henley is distracting my brain somethin' fierce.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Claire is love, Claire is life.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    The music in this show is so awesome. Long Live the Chief is my favorite so far. Didn't know about Jidenna before this.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    The music in this show is so awesome. Long Live the Chief is my favorite so far. Didn't know about Jidenna before this.

There are a number of acts I'm now very interested in.

• Options
    Detective Knight thoughts, Ep 6
    It almost seems like they're setting up her crime scene reconstruction thing as a superpower. Which would be cool. Post-cognition would be a heck of an ability for a badass PI.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    cottonmouth ends up kind of being an interesting character
    hes a bit pathetic and doesnt really make it that far. it originally looks like hes being set up as the big bad guy but he really isnt and u end up getting the backstory and its all a bit tawdry really

rip in pepperoncini cottonbro

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Episode 4
    Is the prison counselor lady Luke's wife?

• Options
    Episode 4

Yes

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Episode 4

Yes

Then her part in Killgrave's story in Jessica Jones makes sense.

• Options
    cottonmouth ends up kind of being an interesting character
    hes a bit pathetic and doesnt really make it that far. it originally looks like hes being set up as the big bad guy but he really isnt and u end up getting the backstory and its all a bit tawdry really

rip in pepperoncini cottonbro

I just got there and D= Yeah.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Episode 4

Yes

Then her part in Killgrave's story in Jessica Jones makes sense.

I'm about halfway through. Really hoping they address this further.
    Right now she's totes okay with forced human experimentation, but holy shit slave fights?! that's a bridge too far. Suspension of disbelief broke a little there.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Watched the first episode of Luke Cage. Really liking it so far. Lots of great actors I recognize. It's got a fantastic style about it. We need more cool back heroes in pop culture. Very much looking forward to watching more.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The writing in Luke Cage is really up and down

I know they're going for a pulpy style but wow, a lot of this dialogue, most of it even, is super clunky and cliché

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Episode 6
    So Claire is going to be putting together the Defenders? For what reason? Like, I know she wants to help people but what for? Who does she want to fight?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

I know they're going for a pulpy style but wow, a lot of this dialogie, most of it even, is super clunky and cliché

Yeah it is weird. Some moments really fall flat and I think they're supposed to come off as cool and dramatic. I can see it on a page making sense but when a person says it the realism from the show is shaken a bit. Still really enjoying myself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

I know they're going for a pulpy style but wow, a lot of this dialogie, most of it even, is super clunky and cliché

I feel like all of the Marvel Netflix shows so far have had this problem.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Only seen the first episode, it was ok. Usual Netflix complaint aside (looks cheap), Cage and Cottonmouth are the only highlights, the latter being surprisingly good considering what I expected given the trailers. Everything and everyone else is coming off as trying too hard to be kewl and the pacing is frustratingly slow. That shot of Cottonmouth and Biggie's photo, I get that you think it's something like in Scarface or something uber kewl but nah brah, nah.

Chico cannot act though. That subplot better be taken care of quickly.
    also fuck you series, let him be a hero for hire.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Not as badly as this one. They've all had some serious clunkers here and there though (Foggy talking about "the law" like a magic word was hilariously corny)

Edit: the dialogue between the cops is what's really embarrassing. It's really amateur hour

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Not as badly as this one. They've all had some serious clunkers here and there though (Foggy talking about "the law" like a magic word was hilariously corny)

Edit: the dialogue between the cops is what's really embarrassing. It's really amateur hour

I am actually kind of incredibly fond of that (Foggy monologuing about the law like in the comics), and some of Luke's more egregious comicisms. I feel like they've been pretty consistently nailing just the right amount of cheese. This one in particular though there seems to be a lot of homage and deconstruction of blaxploitation tropes, both from Luke Cage's early days as a character as well as in film (the Wu-Tang influence is strong =D ).

I can see how the dissonance between the gritty presentation here and the winks towards the source material might not work for everybody (Daredevil (the comic) is gritty af though so the show's been pretty bang on for me, Foggy and all). I can see how the levity would be jarring to somebody not attached to it.

• Options
    theres some black dynamite shit in here

and i really hope its deliberate

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I don't agree that the Netflix shows look cheap, though

They don't look like Hollywood films but they look like solid, decent budget TV

• Options
    Something that bothers me.

Episode 6
    A few times, Cottonmouth and Fisk keep getting compared to each other, by gangsters, thugs, and even the police. But...

Cottonmouth isn't even in the same league as Fisk. Fisk held Hell's Kitchen without question, CM can barely hold his club without Diamondback.

He's so small fish, the Russian Brothers would have made CM their bitch.

• Options
    I don't agree that the Netflix shows look cheap, though

They don't look like Hollywood films but they look like solid, decent budget TV

I also think that in general they do a better job with composition and lighting than the movies. Mr. Robot is very similar in that regard.

• Options
    theres some black dynamite shit in here

and i really hope its deliberate

The line in the first ep. about fathers not being around is, IIRC, very similar to something Deadpool said to Luke Cage during the Duggan/Posehn run, as a parody of Luke Cage's early writing. I believe he completed the thought with "am I right brotha?!" to Luke Cage's befuddlement and irritation.

• Options
    OK, finished ep 8. Things are getting good.

This is basically all I hoped it could be. The only way I would be happier is with more tiara.

• Options
    Something that bothers me.

Episode 6
    A few times, Cottonmouth and Fisk keep getting compared to each other, by gangsters, thugs, and even the police. But...

Cottonmouth isn't even in the same league as Fisk. Fisk held Hell's Kitchen without question, CM can barely hold his club without Diamondback.

He's so small fish, the Russian Brothers would have made CM their bitch.

I think that's the point.

• Options
    Just a joke I found while looking for that Deadpool/Luke Cage thing:

dp-kills-mu-002-lukecage.jpg

• Options
    Ep 8
    Claire v Misty. I could watch them posture at each other all day. So much badass in that interrogation room.

• Options
    To everybody not feeling it initially I'd say take it slow, but try to get midway through it. It's a much slower burn than anything else they've done IMO. I think this has a way more fleshed out cast than anything else they've done too which is part of why it takes so slow to get going. They're introducing as many characters as a GoT season.

If the Bring da Ruckus fight scene in Ep. 3 isn't your thing you're probably a lost cause though.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Episode 2
    Luke likes Richard Price novels! :3

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg