As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Misty Motherfucking Knight

I can officially die happy.

In 11 days.

if she isnt a sweet ass cyborg with a fro im literally suing everybody

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

In 11 days.

She has a cyborg arm. She didn't go full cyborg, like Rhodey did for a hot second. But then got better and everyone forgot.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

In 11 days.

She has a cyborg arm. She didn't go full cyborg, like Rhodey did for a hot second. But then got better and everyone forgot.

wait this version of misty knight is confirmed as having a sweet ass robot arm??? WE CYBORG BO Y S???

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    "obvious cg" is just bad CG 95% of the time now. There's a few things that are hard to pull off no matter how much time or money you put into it, but for everything else it's generally because they had to cut a corner somewhere.

Fury Road is lauded as a return to practical effects, but IMO, it's greater achievement was marrying practical effects with nonobvious CG, to the point where people couldn't tell the difference most of the time.

Gravity did a hell of a job in this respect as well.

What practical effects were there in Gravity? Everything was CG there except the actors.

Oh, you sweet summer child.

You still believe "George Clooney" exists in real life.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    "obvious cg" is just bad CG 95% of the time now. There's a few things that are hard to pull off no matter how much time or money you put into it, but for everything else it's generally because they had to cut a corner somewhere.

Fury Road is lauded as a return to practical effects, but IMO, it's greater achievement was marrying practical effects with nonobvious CG, to the point where people couldn't tell the difference most of the time.

What practical effects were there in Gravity? Everything was CG there except the actors.

Oh, you sweet summer child.

You still believe "George Clooney" exists in real life.

Tomorrowland put any of those notions to rest.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

The lighting and some props. They actually created a giant box with 4,000 lights they stuffed Bullock into and could only communicate to her via radio.

4dqg0pl3dtwk.jpg

One of the biggest problems with CG is getting the lighting correct.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

In 11 days.

Cyborg arm not confirmed.

I'm seeing a lot of speculation that she's not going to be in Iron Fist. Which would be a goddamn travesty.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The lighting and some props. They actually created a giant box with 4,000 lights they stuffed Bullock into and could only communicate to her via radio.

4dqg0pl3dtwk.jpg

One of the biggest problems with CG is getting the lighting correct.

I knew about the lightbox they used, and yes, that was a great innovation. But I don't think it falls under "marrying practical effects with non-obvious CG to the point where people can't tell the difference"

• Options

In 11 days.

I'm seeing a lot of speculation that she's not going to be in Iron Fist. Which would be a goddamn travesty.

actually its other way round

the current casting is a troll; hes going to die in episode 2 and be replaced by MISTY KNIGHT: THE LITERAL IRON FIST (BECAUSE HER HAND IS MADE OF FUCKING STEEL ARE U PICKING UP WHAT IM PUTTING DOWN)

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

In 11 days.

the current casting is a troll; hes going to die in episode 2 and be replaced by MISTY KNIGHT: THE LITERAL IRON FIST (BECAUSE HER HAND IS MADE OF FUCKING STEEL ARE U PICKING UP WHAT IM PUTTING DOWN)

The Full Metal Alchemist was the brother who had a metal arm, and the brother who was actually just an animated suit of armor... wasn't.

It stands to reason that Iron Fist would either have no iron parts at all or, like, a metal finger or something.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

In 11 days.

The Full Metal Alchemist was the brother who had a metal arm, and the brother who was actually just an animated suit of armor... wasn't.

It stands to reason that Iron Fist would either have no iron parts at all or, like, a metal finger or something.

In this continuity Misty Knight is the Iron Fist and Danny is there to hold her hoops.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

In 11 days.

Dragon Hugger doesn't have the same appeal.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hey, so, this is a hit and run as I still haven't seen Agent Carter, Daredevil or Jessica Jones and I'm only a bit past halfway through S3 of Agents of Shield...

But I just wanted to throw out there that I would absolutely love it if Bear McCreary was allowed to do the soundtrack for Infinity War. Dude's killing it on TV, and has earned it. Somewhere around here was a conversation on Leitmotifs and how they can help with a large cast.. well.. he kind of kicks ass at those.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think I know exactly where you are that prompted such a post!

AoS mid season 3 finale
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8OuR9F013o

fuck that was a cool moment.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yup. I've also been following him for a little under a decade now, so that helps.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I rarely notice music- what moment is it?

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I rarely notice music- what moment is it?

It's from the midseason finale's last scene
    everyone coming outta the rescue pod one by one, hugging their loved ones, everyone made it back alive! And then it drops out to nothing when Simmons learns Will did not come back.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I signed back up for Netflix for this.

So pumped.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I really like how they use Dawson's character to tie the shows together at this point.

• Options
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    As someone who doesn't care a lick about Luke Cage in the comics, this show looks like it might be the best of the Netflix shows so far. Each trailer looks better than the previous one. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just love the style I'm seeing from the Luke Cage trailers. I hope the show lives up to them.

• Options
    Luke Cage is one of my favorite Marvel characters.

From the tiara and chain belt days standing up to the man and teaching that silly white boy about life on the street, to being the guy who can stare down Daredevil and tell him when he's being a punk ass about his secret identity, to being the only person in charge of an Avengers team that actually remembers that superheroism is still a thing.

And his powerset is dead simple while being brutally effective.

Luke Cage is basically my comic book spirit animal.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Early reviews look good for Cage.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    that one shot of dash cam footage makes me think they're gonna be doing BLM stuff. Which could be great if they don't do it a disservice.

Their track record makes me think they will not be doing it a disservice.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    There's a Stan Lee cameo at 2:05.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I really like how they use Dawson's character to tie the shows together at this point.

And from that preview it sounded like she was pretty damned tired of all these pansy ass vigilantes angsting everywhere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »

And from that preview it sounded like she was pretty damned tired of all these pansy ass vigilantes angsting everywhere.

I've got it! Her character will become the Bastion character from the Zero Tolerance story line and try to wipe out the vigilantes.

• Options
    Aphostile wrote: »

Netflix Marvel is on fire. They literally can't do any wrong and are the strongest division quality wise in the MCU - bar none.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Netflix Marvel is on fire. They literally can't do any wrong and are the strongest division quality wise in the MCU - bar none.

I wouldn't say they could do no wrong, as DD S2 was weak on the later half/non-Frank stuff. However, I agree they are pretty much top of the MCU at the moment.

• Options
    Netflix Marvel definitely benefits from the ability to just sit down and watch it straight through.

I think if I was watching some of these shows week by week I'd be a little disappointed with specific episodes.

• Options

I wouldn't say they could do no wrong, as DD S2 was weak on the later half/non-Frank stuff. However, I agree they are pretty much top of the MCU at the moment.

DD 2 being weak is still an impressive feat. It's an amazing production all around.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Who is the villain in Luke Cage? Does Cage have any noticeable weaknessess? Are his eyes also bulletproof?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Who is the villain in Luke Cage? Does Cage have any noticeable weaknessess? Are his eyes also bulletproof?

In this specific instance the villain is Cottonmouth, basically a gang leader trying to turn into a slum lord.

Luke's primary weaknesses are his complete lack of special movement powers (flight, webs, teleportation, etc) and his complete inability to not throw down on some jive ass turkeys comin' into his hood and causing trouble.

I think they gave him an injection in his eye once, so they're probably not bulletproof.

• Options
    I'm very interested but having seen not a lot of Luke Cage before, it seems his villains have to go after his friends or just like, throw him in a pit or something. Because he himself seems basically invulnerable.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    You need to be watching Jessica Jones, it answers a number of those questions.
    However, if you want the answers right now:
    Luke has unbreakable skin, it also appears to be pretty heat resistant too. His eyeball is not bulletproof, but I suspect the squishy parts have variable amounts of unbreakability depending on plot. Wouldn't do to get shot in the face and have an eyeball pop.

He is still vulnerable to the kinetic impact though, so a head shot can concuss him (or worse) while still leaving his skin intact.

You should watch Jessica Jones anyway.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Did ya see Jessica Jones yet? His limits are shown off pretty good there.
    bulletproof, super strong, but he can be incapacitated with enough force. Being caught in his bar explosion and set on fire seemed to exhaust him, and a shotgun blast to the head put him in a coma.

Mahershala Ali (Remy from House of Cards) is the villain. He's Cottonmouth. Probably not gonna be rockin' a snake costume tho.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm very interested but having seen not a lot of Luke Cage before, it seems his villains have to go after his friends or just like, throw him in a pit or something. Because he himself seems basically invulnerable.

Well, physically he's kind of a brick. It is, indeed, pretty hard to hurt him from that angle. We have seen him beaten up and thrown around by a person of comparable strength, and we've seen him hospitalized and nearly killed by a conventional weapon and his invulnerable skin made medical treatment very difficult.

But he's also an ex-con and an escaped government experiment who is putting down roots in Harlem. After being mind controlled into committing insurance fraud and probably killing some people. The options for hitting him with that stuff are pretty much endless.

• Options
    I totally forgot about the Jessica Jones thing. That makes sense.