As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Point of fact, Redman: Steve Rogers used to live in Harlem.

Otherwise I totally get the point.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    mister doctor
    its strange
    who am i to judge

hue hue hue

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Glad Mads is getting a bit of wiggle room to be personable. He's at his best being a weirdly charismatic psychopath, and all his dialogue so far has been very DOOM DOOM DOOM with little personality.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Mind you, we've only heard, like, three lines from him so far.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Ah, Mads.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    True. I dunno how to articulate my concern other than he was giving me vibes of Malekith, and I didn't want them to waste Mads like they wasted Ecclestone.

Still hoping they don't kill him off, but I don't like his odds ;p

Ed; thinking about it, the bad guys with the most play in the trailers end up either disappointing or underrepresented in the actual movies. Whiplash in IM2 looked so gooooood.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    that, call me mr Doctor thing could have been edited a bit better. like, don't book end comedy with super dramatic base drops.

Also:
    https://youtu.be/Y7Sx4Ue_H-I?t=2m47s

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2016
    http://www.seeitfirst.net/pin/131383

Free 15 min IMAX 3D Preview for Doctor Strange, with free poster. Yeah, it's only 15 min, but I went to the GotG one and it was nice to see a long scene and extended trailer in a theater.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Netflix Marvel definitely benefits from the ability to just sit down and watch it straight through.

I think if I was watching some of these shows week by week I'd be a little disappointed with specific episodes.

I'm sure that's true, but that's not an accident. Netflix shows are specifically designed for binging. Dinging them for having specific episodes that are underwhelming on their own is a bit like dinging a network TV show for being unsatisfying when you stop watching at a commercial break.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Netflix Marvel definitely benefits from the ability to just sit down and watch it straight through.

I think if I was watching some of these shows week by week I'd be a little disappointed with specific episodes.

I'm sure that's true, but that's not an accident. Netflix shows are specifically designed for binging. Dinging them for having specific episodes that are underwhelming on their own is a bit like dinging a network TV show for being unsatisfying when you stop watching at a commercial break.

Netflix serials are probably the best way to do novel adaptions because of this.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I've been rewatching the Netflix stuff, and as disconnected as the music is from the movies, the sound design in the shows is fantastic. Wonderful themes in Daredevil and in Jessica Jones the jazz is specifically designed to match the movement on screen. It's delightful.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Cage also has the classic super hero weakness that works really well in the setting
    Family and friends he doesn't want to get hurt. Especially after his wife. I guarantee that will be a plot line once Cottonmouth realizes he's invincible.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Cage also has the classic super hero weakness that works really well in the setting
    Family and friends he doesn't want to get hurt. Especially after his wife. I guarantee that will be a plot line once Cottonmouth realizes he's invincible.
    Pretty sure he's vulnerable to drowning, and suffocation too.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Who is the villain in Luke Cage? Does Cage have any noticeable weaknessess? Are his eyes also bulletproof?

In this specific instance the villain is Cottonmouth, basically a gang leader trying to turn into a slum lord.

Luke's primary weaknesses are his complete lack of special movement powers (flight, webs, teleportation, etc) and his complete inability to not throw down on some jive ass turkeys comin' into his hood and causing trouble.

I think they gave him an injection in his eye once, so they're probably not bulletproof.

This is what I'm not so keen on from this version of Cage as seen in JJ. The cockyness is a major part of his character, wheras this version seems to be going with "wounded guy who just wants to do the right thing"- like Matt Murdock, Like Jessica Jones.

• Options

I'm not really "dinging" them for this, just pointing out that they are, indeed, written and edited in a way that takes advantage of the fact that people are going to watch 3 or 4 episodes at once.

If this was on broadcast television, you'd probably have some frustrated viewers. On Netflix it's fine.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Jeedan wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Who is the villain in Luke Cage? Does Cage have any noticeable weaknessess? Are his eyes also bulletproof?

In this specific instance the villain is Cottonmouth, basically a gang leader trying to turn into a slum lord.

Luke's primary weaknesses are his complete lack of special movement powers (flight, webs, teleportation, etc) and his complete inability to not throw down on some jive ass turkeys comin' into his hood and causing trouble.

I think they gave him an injection in his eye once, so they're probably not bulletproof.

This is what I'm not so keen on from this version of Cage as seen in JJ. The cockyness is a major part of his character, wheras this version seems to be going with "wounded guy who just wants to do the right thing"- like Matt Murdock, Like Jessica Jones.

I think he's going to grow into that. Only to pay for it and end up finding some sort of equilibrium in the end. They're pretty much telegraphing that character arc in the stuff they've released so far.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I'm not really "dinging" them for this, just pointing out that they are, indeed, written and edited in a way that takes advantage of the fact that people are going to watch 3 or 4 episodes at once.

If this was on broadcast television, you'd probably have some frustrated viewers. On Netflix it's fine.

Netflix is making long form movies with potty breaks built in.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I forget who it was that said the back half of S2 Daredevil was a disappointment, but Prison Kingpin is in that part and he is pretty fucking amazing.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I forget who it was that said the back half of S2 Daredevil was a disappointment, but Prison Kingpin is in that part and he is pretty fucking amazing.

Probably me and prison Fisk was indeed awesome. It was pretty much anything Hand/Stick/Elektra related just bored me to tears.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    3 hrs 13 minutes!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options

Probably me and prison Fisk was indeed awesome. It was pretty much anything Hand/Stick/Elektra related just bored me to tears.

You know, I remember feeling the same way when it came out, but I really think the back half improves and seems much more level on a second watch. Just finished it and it's got some of the best fight scenes, best Punisher moments, and it feels like the Chaste/Hand war is finally going to develop in a big way (if I had to guess they'll drop season 3 after Luke Cage, to introduce Iron Fist, or after Iron Fist lays out a runway).

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They really wasted the Hand in season 2. All they did was go "oooh, look how mysterious they are." I hope they'll actually do something with the Hand in Iron Fist since it looks like the Hand will be the main villain in Defenders.

• Options
    They really wasted the Hand in season 2. All they did was go "oooh, look how mysterious they are." I hope they'll actually do something with the Hand in Iron Fist since it looks like the Hand will be the main villain in Defenders.

I figured Madame Gao was gonna factor into Iron Fist more than The Hand but who knows. Maybe they'll skip his origin and just drop him straight into a team-up with Daredevil vs. The Hand. That'd certainly help keep the budget more manageable, but I was really looking forward to seeing some trippy shit in Iron Fist.

• Options
    Luke Cage Ep1 Spoiler
    WHY IS THE BAD LADY TALKING ABOUT BLM?!!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Luke Cage Ep1 Spoiler
    WHY IS THE BAD LADY TALKING ABOUT BLM?!!

$$$$

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Luke Cage Ep2 Spoiler
    GODDAMN.

Gonna be disappointed if Turk actually goes back to Hell's Kitchen ("where it's safe" lol).

Cottonmouth looking like he's gonna be a nuanced asshole so that's cool.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Review of the first two eps
    Very beginning of Ep 1 has acting that's a little shaky
    It's worked out by Ep 2
    Already love like five of these characters
    A sixth is growing on me

Really looking forward to more.

• Options
    I'm more than a little bit upset that the girlfriend fell asleep and I can't watch anymore.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Holy crap episode 4 of Luke cage!
    Original comics costume!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Luke Cage first ep
    So they're just going whole hog with the classic harlem rogues gallery. I'm so into this.

• Options
    Full first episode thoughts;
    They went pretty hard on the exposition at points. I think they could have had a little more faith in their audience to put the pieces together without them being helpfully listed out loud and in order by cast members.

Other than that, this is exactly what I wanted. I really like the cop so far. Here's hoping she's not killed in Episode 11.

• Options
    Well, I should have known
    They only referred to her by last name that I caught. And apparently she's been married(?). But she's clearly Misty Knight.

No evidence of a bionic arm yet. Though there is some Hammer tech running around.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Somebody want to make a Luke Cage thread? I mean, we've done a separate thread for the other Netflix shows...

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    every scene misty is in i am waiting for her to have some kind of awful arm-related accident

nooooo

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Somebody want to make a Luke Cage thread? I mean, we've done a separate thread for the other Netflix shows...

We're still low traffic on this thread, may as well use it for Luke Cage talk, long as everyone watches their spoiler boxes!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

We're still low traffic on this thread, may as well use it for Luke Cage talk, long as everyone watches their spoiler boxes!

the only box im watching is the netflix... box...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    every scene misty is in i am waiting for her to have some kind of awful arm-related accident

nooooo

Now you make me expect some Phil Ken Sebben stuff.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Only 2 eps in but I can't help but feel that if Shades didn't wear shades all the time he'd be better at noticing things.