As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    So I just had the greatest idea. One of my favorite cards from the new innistrad block that I just couldn't find a real use for was vexxing scuttler (ship crab!!!), just because it's cool

And I just realized it could work hilariously well in the gearhulk deck if I can afford a blue splash! (I'm thinking the four hubs and then 1-2 black/blue duals instead of foreboding ruins); it'd only be one or two of them, but I can emerge them off a gearhulk for a single blue mana, pull a refurbish back into my hand, and then refurbish the gearhulk to get its etb again with an additional 4/5!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    At Modern night.

Quite drunk.

Somehow beat Abzan round 1. Calling the night a victory.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    So I just had the greatest idea. One of my favorite cards from the new innistrad block that I just couldn't find a real use for was vexxing scuttler (ship crab!!!), just because it's cool

And I just realized it could work hilariously well in the gearhulk deck if I can afford a blue splash! (I'm thinking the four hubs and then 1-2 black/blue duals instead of foreboding ruins); it'd only be one or two of them, but I can emerge them off a gearhulk for a single blue mana, pull a refurbish back into my hand, and then refurbish the gearhulk to get its etb again with an additional 4/5!

I'm not sure how useful a big dude that you can only play when your engine is already going with bigger/better dudes is, but I guess it can buy back removal spells/trigger kozilek's return if you're playing that or decided to add it as a result

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    At Modern night.

Quite drunk.

Somehow beat Abzan round 1. Calling the night a victory.

Are playing drunk lantern

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    As if he'd play anything else.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    My hero

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I'm not sure how useful a big dude that you can only play when your engine is already going with bigger/better dudes is, but I guess it can buy back removal spells/trigger kozilek's return if you're playing that or decided to add it as a result

The deck used to be running 1-2 GDD when it came to buying back removal, and while that was like pretty good it generally felt like the weakest part of the puzzle and also the exiling had potential to negatively impact the delerium subtheme I added in (to the slaughter/descend upon the sinful).

But moreso an essential part of the deck is that you rarely win just for sticking one big dude, so it being a worse big dude doesn't really matter--it's all about those etb effects gaining massive value and overpowering them that way, and also getting TWO of those big bodies down at once generally makes board states much better because I can cover a second large-ish attacking creature, or I can swing in with 1 big dude to put the pressure on while not leaving myself totally without blockers.

Scuttler is, in that way, a somewhat more flexible Wispweaver Angel (the flicker one) in that I can choose to grab removal/draw rather than a rez spell, and also it's actually reasonable to cast it on an empty board (this deck hitting 8 mana is not at all out of the question). I'm also seriously considering a Panharmonicon because the tempo loss of it is easily made up for by a double noxious trigger, and getting double combustible triggers is just game-ending value.

Oh yeah, and as far as it's only good when my engine is already online--the deck is built around the engine. If I don't have a gearhulk in play by turn 6 things have gone to shit. I run so much draw for a reason, it is essential to get the engine running, so I don't considering "this is only good when the engine is online" to be a big downside. Plus, if the engine isn't online? Just toss it to tormenting. Like I said with vessel, a lot of times dead draws are actually beneficial because my hand is tormenting voice and two pieces of removal I don't want to pitch--drawing a dead card lets me tormenting to get through my deck faster to find either more draw, a gearhulk, or a rez.

Oh yeah, and as the deck is built the aggro matchups are basically just "pray you draw radiant flames". If they have a one drop you've probably lost. But its matchups against midrange and not-countermagic-based-control are incredibly strong!

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WON ROUND 2.

IT WAS THE MIRROR

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    WON ROUND 2.

IT WAS THE MIRROR

Bless you

You are the man I wish I could have been

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The only good that Lantern can do is beating Lantern.

• Options
    Round 3 lost to Grixis Control. Think I'm favored in the match, I just drew incredibly poorly.

Round 4 I beat Jund!

3-1! My best finish yet!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Lantern was my last round win and in for day 2 of SCG Indy... I do not enjoy facing down that deck

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I watched a match at TCG States on Sunday, Naya Zoo vs Lantern

Poor guy on zoo was trembling the whole match

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Poor guy. It's so nerve-wracking playing on camera, especially if you haven't done it before.

• Options
    So some stories - just a few notables - from last night:

Round 3: Grixis. I had Game 1 nearly on Lock.... when my opponent cast a Epiphany at the Drownyard for like 8 that he'd had since Turn 1. I was so massively dumbfounded... like what do I do there. I think I chose the wrong pile, but frankly BOTH piles were god awful for me and I certainly wasn't playing with that card in mind. Had the card in his hand been ANYTHING else - anything stock - Cryptic, Snapcaster even a KCommand, I win that game easily. It was pretty sweet by the opponent.

Round 4: Jund. Game 2 was nothing to talk about but Game 1? Oh man. I stabilized at two life, but he had a Huntmaster out that had been flipping back and forth and shredding my life total (it took me FOREVER to find a second mill rock). At that point it became and incredible slow grind since not only did I have to keep him off GOOD spells, but ANY spells since I knew he had a Bob in hand). It was freaking harrowing. But I pulled it out,

Round 2: THE MIRROR. The funny thing is his match in round 1 was right next to me. We were both super excited to see another Lantern player (as far as I knew I was the only one at the store, but I think he was newer or we'd just missed each other or something). When we both took our matches, we joked that "oh god, what if we get paired?" Pairings go up and there it is. The Mirror. We sit down and both admit that neither of us have really studied how to play the mirror hardly at all.

It was the WEIRDEST game of Magic I've ever played. The keys, it turns out are Shredder and Academy Ruins. If you have either first (or an advantage in numbers for Shredder quick enough) and your opponent can't answer with a Needle/etc, you win.

Here's my secret tech, however, for the mirror that I think helped me a ton. Those Ancient Stirrings and Cranes? Unless you hit something that REALLY matters - a Shredder if it puts you ahead on Shredders and no needles are naming them, an unneedled Ruins, or a Needle to shut down your opponents trump, just FAIL TO FIND. I don't care if you see a Lantern and 2 Bells. It doesn't matter. That card is actually better in your Library when it's basically a mill race.

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    So I was looking at the scg schedule and Louisville is in May and it is team constructed. Anyone interested in forming team SE++? I can play the modern portion.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    @Dogbone33 I can play Legacy

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    That makes two. Any standard players want to go to Kentucky for a fun weekend in may?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    This is my Chaos Flip deck, anyone know of any other good cards that would fit?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I wish it was closer to me or else I would

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    That makes two. Any standard players want to go to Kentucky for a fun weekend in may?

There's a non-zero chance I could swing that, but I 1. Don't play "real" decks and 2. Would have to fly out because I'm not experienced enough to drive eight hours solo, so if anyone closer wants to step up that might be better

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Psh "real" decks. I'll be playing fish for modern. That's barely a real deck anymore.

• Options
    Psh "real" decks. I'll be playing fish for modern. That's barely a real deck anymore.

I play Lantern. Tier 1 is for suckers

• Options
    Like I get what y'all are saying, but those are decks I have heard of, seen decklists for, and even watched played on steam at SCG events. Even if you're playing a personal spin on it you're starting at a higher level than a raw homebrew :p

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Is it consistent? Can you have fun with it? Maybe pull a win or two? That's all that really matters.

• Options
    Is it consistent? Can you have fun with it? Maybe pull a win or two? That's all that really matters.

Oh yah, I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just kind of pontificating on deckbuilding philosophy for no real reason :p

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I brew tier 1 decks every format, just imo

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I play Lantern. Tier 1 is for suckers

Tier 1 is a measurement of how common decks are combined with how powerful. If it were based only on power I think it probably would be tier 1.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sweet fucking christmas can I have even 50% of Kenji's drafting luck? just once?
    https://youtu.be/Zqggr8PatJY

The
    ANIMATION MODULE WHEELS AFTER GETTING TWO DURABLES LIKE FUCK OFF!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Wait, fish is like consistently tier 1.5-2 in modern and pretty well positioned in the current meta.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Sweet fucking christmas can I have even 50% of Kenji's drafting luck? just once?

The

kenji drafts a lot

a lot

• Options

Wait, fish is like consistently tier 1.5-2 in modern and pretty well positioned in the current meta.

I don't know anymore. It's certainly tier 2 but anymore I seem to get wrecked with the traditional fish. I intend to switch to the U/W version before Louisville.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

The

kenji drafts a lot

a lot

oh I know, but his luck is pretty insane sometimes, his pack 3 rares especially make me super jealous a lot.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    some fun ideas I probably won't follow through with:

turn 1 forest scythe leopard, turn 2 evolving wilds->sac->play 2/3 narnam renegade, swing in with a 3/3

turn 1 implement of ferocity -> turn 2 winding constrictor -> turn 3 crack implement (constrictor is 4/5), play 6/5 greenwheel liberator

the idea I'm actually thinking of going for:

turn 1 thriving turtle -> turn 2 winding constrictor, swing in with a 2/5 turtle -> turn 3 rishkar, swing in with a 4/7 and a 4/5

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i think the Liberator would just be a 5/4

still pretty big

• Options
    Jesus, GB is so expensive. Blooming Marsh is eight bucks, flayer, ballista, and gearhulk are all twenty...

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Jesus, GB is so expensive. Blooming Marsh is eight bucks, flayer, ballista, and gearhulk are all twenty...

Flayer isn't as important in GB anymore, as the snake counters is just easier than delirium now.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Channel Fireball to run all Grand Prix events starting 2018:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/future-grand-prix-2018-and-beyond-2017-03-09

Get wrecked, Pastimes.

• Options
    Kay wrote: »

Flayer isn't as important in GB anymore, as the snake counters is just easier than delirium now.

Well yeah I wasn't even planning on getting it for this deck but just noticed it when looking around other decklists for mana bases.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Two OP-based articles just got posted that are worth noting.

#1: CFB will be the global exclusive GP organizer starting in 2018. As someone who lives in what is basically SCG country, that is super interesting.

#2: Starting March 21, organizers will basically not be able to look up your DCI number. Learn it, write it down (it's probably the same number of digits as a phone number; add it in your Contacts), or link it to a Wizards Account (which can be looked up).

This discussion has been closed.