As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Channel Fireball to run all Grand Prix events starting 2018:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/future-grand-prix-2018-and-beyond-2017-03-09

Get wrecked, Pastimes.

Are they going to upgrade their cameras and overlay because yikes I don't wanna watch cfb events

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Channel Fireball to run all Grand Prix events starting 2018:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/future-grand-prix-2018-and-beyond-2017-03-09

Get wrecked, Pastimes.

Are they going to upgrade their cameras and overlay because yikes I don't wanna watch cfb events

It said they're partnering with the company that did the production for the official MTG events, and iirc those events looked fine on stream

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    No idea. It's certainly an upgrade for the player experience, at least.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's important to recognize that CFB will be the event-management side of things, while Sitelines is the A/V production company.

Also, can we talk about how awesome it is that Huey Jensen is doing more coverage now? I think he might be the best complement to Marshall so far. I'd also really like to see David Williams get a chance to cover a live event, but I suppose his Poker schedule prevents that.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    If I march from the tomb four kalastria healers, how many drain one triggers happen?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the amount you're hoping will happen

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    the amount you're hoping will happen

is that amount 16

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it is

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I've done it with a Gentry deck. It's glorious.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Yeah, it's important to recognize that CFB will be the event-management side of things, while Sitelines is the A/V production company.

Also, can we talk about how awesome it is that Huey Jensen is doing more coverage now? I think he might be the best complement to Marshall so far. I'd also really like to see David Williams get a chance to cover a live event, but I suppose his Poker schedule prevents that.

I want more Gaby and Cheon coverage, too.

But, really, I think my dream would be for Day9 to do MTG coverage from time to time. He knows enough about Magic that he can swing the lingo, and he's absolutely aces at being a good commentator.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Its not just about knowing the lingo though. It's about knowing the decks, the meta, the potential sideboards and in draft all the possible cards someone could have.

I imagine Day9 with all his other commitments doesn't have that kind of time to dedicate.

• Options
    He's a very intelligent person. He can learn the decks and the meta. The other person in the booth can handle talking about sideboards and Day9 can play the 'straight man' asking questions that the audience may have.

Really I just want someone in the booth who doesn't say 'uhh' or 'umm' at all and has actually taken diction classes and is a professional commentator/shoutcaster. I wish more people in the commenting world would look into being better at it instead of just letting their personality do most of the work.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Day9 won't cast magic because it would require tons more work for probably less money (and also lower production value than that green screen in his bedroom if he does an event run by wotc)

Edit I mean I definitely wish he would though cause he does good commentary work and would be great at it

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mind vs. Might is fronted by Jhoira of the Ghitu and Lovisa Coldeyes, both with some sweet new art.
    TLwNbTyqLI.png

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Oh hell yes

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    @The Escape Goat where do you live? I'm in central IL and if you're west / northwest of me, it would make sense to pool for the second half.

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Klendy wrote: »
    "The Escape Goat" where do you live? I'm in central IL and if you're west / northwest of me, it would make sense to pool for the second half.

Naw, I'm out east in NC.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Anyone here play the Frontier format? Have a few friends at work who have been hyping it up and I guess there is a store in Chicago holding an event next week.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Frontier is a player-made format for people that got really salty at their cards rotating out so they wanted to try to recoup their loss by inventing a new format.

It might be fun and/or even good, but do not expect it to catch on. I would advise to only buy cards that are also good in Modern, for when the format inevitably dies down, so you're not left on useless garbage.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Frontier is like

Mini modern right?

Edit or super standard I guess

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    @The Escape Goat where do you live? I'm in central IL and if you're west / northwest of me, it would make sense to pool for the second half.

Whereabouts in central il? I'm in champaign-Urbana. We might be able to carpool this action.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'd be so much more interested in Frontier if it started with Origins (IIRC as Maro suggested) instead of Khans. A field full of 4-color Siege Rhino is not a prospect that interests me, and having fetches in as well makes the mana requirements costly; not as costly as modern, but still a lot more than if it was just BFZ and SoI duals, painlands etc. Fetches plus BFZ duals makes the manabase feel not that far off from Modern, and a smallish card pool plus over-powered 3-color Khans cards means everyone can play whatever cards they want, and the cards they want to play are pretty much all the same.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I lost all interest at the thought of reacquiring most of those cards after having already moved the non-fetches, regardless of how cheap they are

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Yeah my issue with Frontier is that it is the exact time I didn't collect any cards. So I am hesitant to buy stuff for that game type specifically

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    if only we could add more cards to standard to create deck diversity

maybe, extend it, so to speak

• Options
    Personally I never really cared about Standard. Modern kinda covers my bases wrt being able to use the cards I already own. I don't like the idea that the cards I've bought stop being useful after a certain amount of time. Though I understand the concern people have that Modern has a very high buy-in cost because I sure ain't buying hundreds of dollars worth of special lands either

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    I just don't like the way modern and older formats look to play. Standard feels like it has a lot more "fair" games of magic, whatever that means in my head.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I just don't like the way modern and older formats look to play. Standard feels like it has a lot more "fair" games of magic, whatever that means in my head.

Modern is pretty fair. Just extremely expensive

• Options
    I mean I guess it all depends on your group. Most of the people I play with are relative newcomers or, like me, coming back after a long hiatus of not playing. I was "lucky" and didn't sell my old cards. But the other people I have started playing with want to see the new hotness. I am personally going to avoid buying anything until maybe Amonkhet, maybe some packs of Modern Masters but hoo boy do I not like that they have reduced the number of packs in a box AND the number of cards in each pack.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I mean I guess it all depends on your group. Most of the people I play with are relative newcomers or, like me, coming back after a long hiatus of not playing. I was "lucky" and didn't sell my old cards. But the other people I have started playing with want to see the new hotness. I am personally going to avoid buying anything until maybe Amonkhet, maybe some packs of Modern Masters but hoo boy do I not like that they have reduced the number of packs in a box AND the number of cards in each pack.

they do not have less cards per pack?

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Maybe I was misinformed. I had heard from someone that there were only 10 cards per MM pack

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Actually I think MM have always had (arguably) more cards per pack. Normal packs have 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons, 10 Commons, 1 basic land, 1 token or ad card. Sometimes a common is replaced by a foil of any rarity.

MM packs have 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons, 10 common, 1 guaranteed foil, 1 token (no basic land).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    What would happen if they print the good-ish dual lands as uncommons? Or is it really the Fetchlands that are the most needed + expensive?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    G
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Actually I think MM have always had (arguably) more cards per pack. Normal packs have 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons, 10 Commons, 1 basic land, 1 token or ad card. Sometimes a common is replaced by a foil of any rarity.

MM packs have 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons, 10 common, 1 guaranteed foil, 1 token (no basic land).
    You couldnt even do that without destroying draft.

Also the value in this set is insane so Id draft the max.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    What would happen if they print the good-ish dual lands as uncommons? Or is it really the Fetchlands that are the most needed + expensive?

There are random super expensive lands but there is no set beyond og duals that has so much value across the board.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The thing with frontier is it popped up during down periods for both standard and modern. They shook both up with the bans and modern has been a lot better since then and for a while standard was too so interest completely disappeared.

Standard being a 2 deck format right now may drive more interest for a while but only until the next shakeup.

Fwiw I was a sides judge at gp Pittsburgh and the frontier event we fired off that day had 6 people.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Played some edh tonight with my chaos flip deck. First game was pretty fun and goofy. The second game was a bloodbath though.

My friend who plays Mayael played Savalas stampede and 3 of us voted wild so she got some nasty creatures out and had an enchant that gives her creatures haste and hit me for 41 on turn 5. Then later on she continued to get a disgusting field and ended the game by being able to deal a total of 101 damage and no one could stop her.

It was pretty savage.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    the old crucible, azusa, ghost quarter combo against tron

modern is now legacy

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Predictions: Walking Ballista, Scrapheap Scrounger, and Felidar Guardian. I give Gideon an outside chance as well.

• Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    Dogbone33 wrote: »

Whereabouts in central il? I'm in champaign-Urbana. We might be able to carpool this action.

Bloomington/Normal, so very very easy to accomplish @Dogbone33

goomyisall400.jpg

This discussion has been closed.