As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    Klendy wrote: »
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    Klendy wrote: »
    @The Escape Goat where do you live? I'm in central IL and if you're west / northwest of me, it would make sense to pool for the second half.

Whereabouts in central il? I'm in champaign-Urbana. We might be able to carpool this action.

Bloomington/Normal, so very very easy to accomplish @Dogbone33

Oh heck yeah that is. Excellent. I suppose I better request some time off of work now.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    No changes to the b&r list for any format.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bah, Standard is so boring to watch and not banning gideon/cat does nothing to help that fact.

At least SCG had a very interesting Modern tournament this weekend.

Assuran on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    No changes to the b&r list for any format.

Yeah that was probably the lest-expected choice, strangely.

• Options
    It was my most expected choice tbh.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Yeah I was going to be more surprised if there were new Standard bans.

• Options
    It was always a valid option, and historically the correct one as they are traditionally been wary of banning. But the 3-deck AER metagame has been basically stagnant since inception (give or take a Tower strategy), which combined with the new schedule to create more speculation than normal. If you were honestly expecting nothing (and I'm not doubting either of you), I feel you were in the minority this time.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    huh, they just banned forests in standard

"We are just so tired of green, it's been unrelenting these past 4 years, please let us use other colors"

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I cannot seem to find it, but Scrye or Inquest or one of those old MtG magazines from ... a long time ago had an April Fool's issue where they had a press release from Wizards announcing a decision to ban islands. If I remember right, the "reasoning" behind it was that it would be too complicated to ban out all of the problematic blue cards from Extended, so they could just ban Island and be done with it.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Also no changes to Commander but I don't think anybody was expecting otherwise on that front.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think a lot of people read more ban announcements as more bans so this result hopefully helps them realize that the second ban post is mostly for safety valve reasons

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Also no changes to Commander but I don't think anybody was expecting otherwise on that front.

That Time Stretch and Omnipotence are still legal in a format where Worldfire is banned still fucking flabbergasts me.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

That Time Stretch and Omnipotence are still legal in a format where Worldfire is banned still fucking flabbergasts me.

don't forget palinchron and deadeye navigator!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

so what y'all are saying is ban islands

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I've never seen anyone do degenerate Palinchron shit in commander and Deadeye Navigator hasn't been egregious, anywhere I've played, since 2011 or so. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just that I guess I haven't been exposed to it for so long I forgot about it. I see Time Stretches and Omnipotences and Mind Over Matters pretty regularly, though, which are individually busted cards.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think a lot of people read more ban announcements as more bans so this result hopefully helps them realize that the second ban post is mostly for safety valve reasons

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

I've never seen anyone do degenerate Palinchron shit in commander and Deadeye Navigator hasn't been egregious, anywhere I've played, since 2011 or so. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just that I guess I haven't been exposed to it for so long I forgot about it. I see Time Stretches and Omnipotences and Mind Over Matters pretty regularly, though, which are individually busted cards.

I have a memnarch deck I play online when I want to be a garbage man

• Options

I had a Mikaeus deck that I played when I wanted to be a garbage man. It included no fewer than 7 infinites, but it also included my favorite combo ever:

Urborg + Kormus Bell + Night of Souls' Betrayal. If I had a Mikaeus in play, only I could have lands. It was just so spiteful. The deck was titled FUCK YOU.dek

• Options

I had a Mikaeus deck that I played when I wanted to be a garbage man. It included no fewer than 7 infinites, but it also included my favorite combo ever:

Urborg + Kormus Bell + Night of Souls' Betrayal. If I had a Mikaeus in play, only I could have lands. It was just so spiteful. The deck was titled FUCK YOU.dek

My no fun deck is augustin

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I could imagine frontier becoming a real format simply because it also has a physical characteristic on the cards that defines legality. I wouldn't even be surprised

It funny. When the bannings happened they were shocking and everybody started to complain that wotc was going to now be ban crazy and use that power to much. Then we got near this banning announcment and people were suddenly out for blood.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I could imagine frontier becoming a real format simply because it also has a physical characteristic on the cards that defines legality. I wouldn't even be surprised

you can't use that physical characteristic to define legality because of supplemental sets tho

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    It funny. When the bannings happened they were shocking and everybody started to complain that wotc was going to now be ban crazy and use that power to much. Then we got near this banning announcment and people were suddenly out for blood.
    Magic players angry over something WotC is doing? This is my shocked face. I am a shocked.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    oh but they could and it would make the format GREAT.

I might just play mono-orange though (any card with an orange mythic printing, FTV, promos, etc. all count)

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    my most recent deck (Ertai the Corrupted/enchantments) is probably the most no-fun deck I've made yet, and even there I avoided putting in any infinites.

Unfun game-locking combos, yes; infinites, no.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular

Well, Standard is apparently pretty bad right now? Though I'm really not sure how much more or less than it has been in the past. I mean people say that is a 2-3 deck format, but - really - isn't it always? Sure occasionally another deck has a good weekend - and FNM stuff is a different beast - but Standard is almost always gonna come down to a few Best Decks. That's what happens when you have thousands and thousands of players working on a format. Like RTR/THS standard was Black Devotion, UW/UWx Control and U Devotion. Occasionally RG or Burn had a good weekend, but really it was those three decks.

It's not R&Ds fault either. People complain that they miss how good certain decks are, but, geez. There's only a few people (vs thousands after release) on that team testing for I imagine a few weeks (given that cards are constantly changing) during work hours (vs nearly infinite man hours over months). And their job is to test all the things and possible decks so your not having them really tune, for example, Mardu Vehicles into a precision killing machine.

And WOTC is screwed either way when it comes to Standard. They speed up rotation - allowing the format to be less stale - and people complain about the increased cost to keep up. The format does then become stale and people complain about that. They ban cards to freshen up the mets and players complain that they lost money or that they are afraid to invest in Standard. They decide not to ban the next time and people complain that they DIDNT ban anything because... the format is stale.

So unless - against all odds - they design a perfect Standard Metagame, they are screwed.

• Options
    theros-khans-fates was a perfect standard

then they printed dragons

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    ban everything that costs more than ten dollars

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    As far as my friends are concerned all of my decks except for Doran and Norin are degenerate garbage decks. Gonna a make a jank Jhoira deck to add to my list of trash.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options

Why do you have two no fun decks

• Options

Why do you have two no fun decks

don't forget I also play mono-u delver in pauper because I actually just hate this game

also memnarch is a fun deck that takes a long time to actually do things

• Options
    also thinking about it, people keep talking about threats and answers, and how threats are better than answers, but dragons started a new trend that needs to be mentioned

answers against creatures are too bad, whereas answers against non-creature threats have traditionally been too good, while also in the colours that have had access to the too-good creatures

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    the big problem with magic is that blue exists as a color

• Options

i have good news for you about this standard

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

i have good news for you about this standard

oh I know

• Options

you can't use that physical characteristic to define legality because of supplemental sets tho

Well sure but niether do the modern card frames right?

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Well, Standard is apparently pretty bad right now? Though I'm really not sure how much more or less than it has been in the past. I mean people say that is a 2-3 deck format, but - really - isn't it always? Sure occasionally another deck has a good weekend - and FNM stuff is a different beast - but Standard is almost always gonna come down to a few Best Decks. That's what happens when you have thousands and thousands of players working on a format. Like RTR/THS standard was Black Devotion, UW/UWx Control and U Devotion. Occasionally RG or Burn had a good weekend, but really it was those three decks.

It's not R&Ds fault either. People complain that they miss how good certain decks are, but, geez. There's only a few people (vs thousands after release) on that team testing for I imagine a few weeks (given that cards are constantly changing) during work hours (vs nearly infinite man hours over months). And their job is to test all the things and possible decks so your not having them really tune, for example, Mardu Vehicles into a precision killing machine.

And WOTC is screwed either way when it comes to Standard. They speed up rotation - allowing the format to be less stale - and people complain about the increased cost to keep up. The format does then become stale and people complain about that. They ban cards to freshen up the mets and players complain that they lost money or that they are afraid to invest in Standard. They decide not to ban the next time and people complain that they DIDNT ban anything because... the format is stale.

So unless - against all odds - they design a perfect Standard Metagame, they are screwed.

Yes people say this standard sucks and the decks are stagnant but I can help thinking back to last standard when they said the same thing until more than two month in. Two deck came out of nowhere and crushed their respective tournaments and suddenly there were several decks and a lot of pros questioned whether the flash deck had ever been good at all. Of course people still hated that standard after the change.

The point is that I just dont trust magic players at this point. We've been getting "this format is stale and awful" articles since literally the weej after the protour. Its hard to feel like the community even tried in the face of that.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

I don't see how you can possibly say this outside of legacy

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Some people had their craw wurms countered twenty years ago and can't let it go

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    So you're saying it really stuck in their craw?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Some people had their craw wurms countered twenty years ago and can't let it go

it was a Craw Giant

This discussion has been closed.