As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    wild and crazy theory: instead of devotion, the amonkhet gods have suspend

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Amonkhet gods: the first creatures with Storm

• Options
    honestly, i wouldn't rule out "Storm, but for a creature's ETB effect" as a mechanic we'll see one day

"this creature gets X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of spells you've cast this turn" is a lot easier to deal with than grapeshot or tendrils or flusterstorm

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i'm not a super huge fan of the big 3 decks for standard right now but its fine as a format for playing at least

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    honestly, i wouldn't rule out "Storm, but for a creature's ETB effect" as a mechanic we'll see one day

"this creature gets X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of spells you've cast this turn" is a lot easier to deal with than grapeshot or tendrils or flusterstorm

See one day?

Image.ashx?multiverseid=130675&type=card

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

See one day?

Image.ashx?multiverseid=130675&type=card

well to be fair that's from the future!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I just think it's kind of funny that Wizards says "Ban announcement incoming" I saw tons of articles on different sites all predicting what's getting cut and why and then yesterday
    "No bans, carry on"

It's like the biggest 'Psyche!' hahaha

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I just think it's kind of funny that Wizards says "Ban announcement incoming" I saw tons of articles on different sites all predicting what's getting cut and why and then yesterday
    "No bans, carry on"

It's like the biggest 'Psyche!' hahaha

Technically it's the truth though.

"We're making a ban announcement." Then: "The announcement is, there will be no bans at this time. Carry on."

Shadowen on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    new Judge promos
    17264618_1670311712983308_6382000010772614076_n.png?oh=eeb63faae0c65c57b52c4ffc3bbf3817&oe=5960B2E2
    17309570_1670311709649975_9089618751492472014_n.png?oh=db98bc74f3d21da0391ac118f0f06494&oe=5971F8B8

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I don't understand Homeward Path. What's that even for?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

"stop stealing my shit"

or

"take back this pact you gave me"

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Image.ashx?multiverseid=247347&type=card

And similar, in EDH.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Blanks effects like Reins of Power, Insurrection, Donate -> Steel Golem, etc

Nullzone on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

dubious challenge

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't even think about Dubious Challenge, hmm

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It can be a necessity in EDH

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It can be a necessity in EDH

Yeah it was one of the new cards introduced in the first Commander release (Kaalia et al.) and everyone who saw it either said "FINALLY!" or "DAMN!".

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Pretty nice in Zedruu to take back all your own shit immediately after gaining life/drawing cards

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Whoah I love the art on that Avacyn promo that I will never have :(

• Options
    making a judge promo avacyn is literally writing a cheque

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Aww. I did not get any exemplar noms this wave or I'd trade with you. There's always judges looking to offload their promos though. I'd ask around locally or check Facebook groups.

Also the prices go down the longer they're out And definitely by next wave

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    About 20 years ago, a stripper stole most of my Magic cards. Long since water under the bridge, the story isn't as funny as the title. Whatever.
    The cards remaining were a hodgepodge of Ice Age, Fallen Kingdoms, and Unlimited, plus a few sentimental cards like random beta lands and the like. Coolest card in there was a French Shivan Dragon from when I tried to learn the language in college.

My girl and I just started playing again, so I decided I'd go through the bin of singles and see if I had anything interesting. I was pleased to discover that my black bordered Ornithopters were playable, and some of the land wasn't too badly wrecked. And then I found something I'd picked up on a whim and thrown in my funsies deck...

What's the going rate on a well played beta Chaos Orb?

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Couple hundred bucks maybe, depending on condition

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    If Im not mistaken those beta basics are worth a little bit also.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    i'm gonna be bummed if the slot of "planeswalker native to this plane" is filled by Bolas in Amonkhet

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I would assume you save bolas for hour.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    is filled by Bolas in Amonkhet block

:P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    i'm gonna be bummed if the slot of "planeswalker native to this plane" is filled by Bolas in Amonkhet

I doubt this will happen; they printed narset when sarkhan was also from tarkir, for example

• Options
    my concern is mostly that we saw the Ultra Pro stuff for Amonkhet today

OBxqiVN.jpg

which is a whole bunch of gatewatch, and makes me suspect that the focus will wind up being Team Vs Bolas

at this point with something like kaladesh we'd seen all sorts of saheeli, even though saheeli didn't really do much of anything during the kaladesh story and only sort of showed up in AER

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    is filled by Bolas in Amonkhet block

:P

Are there not two? Oh god there arnt two. Gross.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Whippy wrote: »

I doubt this will happen; they printed narset when sarkhan was also from tarkir, for example

Similarly Chandra was also from Kaladesh. Although I don't have high hopes from what I've seen. Maybe there'll be a new walker in Hour of Devastation?

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Just to check: Zendikar AND Innistrad rotate out when the first Amonkhet set falls, leaving us with just Kaladesh and 2/3 of Amonkhet?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    Just to check: Zendikar AND Innistrad rotate out when the first Amonkhet set falls, leaving us with just Kaladesh and 2/3 of Amonkhet?

No

Zendikar and Innistrad rotate out when the set after Hour of Devestation comes out.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017

No

Zendikar and Innistrad rotate out when the set after Hour of Devestation comes out.

Correct. As of the last time they changed their minds, we're back to "nothing rotates until October" mode.

The previous model would have kicked out only Battle/Oath, leaving Shadows/Moon until October.

Also I'm not sure where Kay is getting "2/3s" of anything from.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Avacyn will likely be in next wave of exemplar foils as well, and old Exemplar foils frequently end up in judge conference packets, so keep an eye down the line.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

A large set is closer to 2/3 the total block than 1/2.

I totally forgot that Amonkhet is out really soon, for some reason I was sure it was October.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Ah ok. That makes sense from a sheer number-of-cards perspective.

EDIT: Watching last night's VSL, and Randy brought up a very interesting point:

There is no way that CopyCat survives through its entire natural 18-month lifespan in Standard, right? Like... the ban didn't have to happen this week, but it is coming somewhere down the road in all likelihood.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

There is no way that CopyCat survives through its entire natural 18-month lifespan in Standard, right? Like... the ban didn't have to happen this week, but it is coming somewhere down the road in all likelihood.

I enjoyed Brian Demars' article on CFB discussing the matter, especially his point regarding the degree with which CopyCat's existence can diminish enthusiasm for Amonkhet spoilers if we're all just going "well, fuck, that's cool, but can it deal with a bajillion kitties?"

I think what confuses me about it not getting banned is that they have long-since admitted not discovering the combo prior to its release, which suggests that they can't possibly have been developing responses to it for Amonkhet, due to the timeline of set development. So it stands to reason that yeah, they'll probably have to ban it before the next PT, so you might as well ban it now.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Ah ok. That makes sense from a sheer number-of-cards perspective.

Good news, everyone! A mechanic we're introducing in Amonkhet is "Megaexiled". This makes permanents that are Exiled well and truly removed from the game, and they don't come back! Eh? EH?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    WBR, Instant: Pay the owner of target permanent the median price of that card on TCGPlayer, then tear that card up. (If it is sleeved, remove the sleeve first.)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.