Options

Access Hollywood presents: The [2016 Presidential Election] Shitshow Spectacular!

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/10/11/in-greensboro-obama-says-trump-has-disqualified-himself-for-job-at-7-eleven/
    GREENSBORO, N.C. — President Obama eviscerated Donald Trump as unfit for the presidency during a raucous rally here for the Hillary Clinton campaign, shrugging off several interruptions from anti-Clinton hecklers as he sought to rally voters in a crucial swing state.

Obama seemed to revel in his ridicule of the Republican nominee, mocking Trump for his loss of nearly $1 billion, his refusal to release his tax returns and his lewd comments about women. “The guy says stuff nobody would find tolerable if they were applying for a job at 7-Eleven,” Obama said during a lengthy speech to a crowd of 7,700 at an outdoor amphitheater.
    Obama is maybe, just maybe, finally starting to get to have some fun.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/10/11/in-greensboro-obama-says-trump-has-disqualified-himself-for-job-at-7-eleven/
    GREENSBORO, N.C. — President Obama eviscerated Donald Trump as unfit for the presidency during a raucous rally here for the Hillary Clinton campaign, shrugging off several interruptions from anti-Clinton hecklers as he sought to rally voters in a crucial swing state.

Obama seemed to revel in his ridicule of the Republican nominee, mocking Trump for his loss of nearly $1 billion, his refusal to release his tax returns and his lewd comments about women. “The guy says stuff nobody would find tolerable if they were applying for a job at 7-Eleven,” Obama said during a lengthy speech to a crowd of 7,700 at an outdoor amphitheater.
    Obama is maybe, just maybe, finally starting to get to have some fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »

sigh. On one hand, I want to praise Pence for half-heartedly trying to calm the rhetoric. But you know damned well that he knows that voter fraud is a non-problem and he's willingly feeding their paranoia and delusions. I know this will be compared to McCain's "Obama's an A-Rab" moment, but it's just not the same.

And this is why we need more people of color in the media.

Indiana has a 85% white population. So I think it's really hard for the white republicans who live to wrap their heads around the fact that the rest of the country isn't like that (Note: I'm only referring to the ones who genuinely believe in voter fraud like the woman asking the question, not the people who are only pretending to believe in it like Mike Pence).

Also, where is that event taking place exactly, an elementary school auditorium or something?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Every time Huckabee speaks, he gets dumber.

That is by far the most likable I've ever seen Megyn Kelly.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Unlike his running mate Pence isn't a megalomaniac and isn't in denial. He knows it's not an if at this point, but a when, and therefore whipping up the rhetoric is a bad idea. If it was Hilary +1, I don't think he gives that response.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Megyn Kelly is so close to an epiphany.

She may have already had it and is just playing out the numbers.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Not only does Quint die, he doesn't save anybody or contribute to killing the shark. The whole point of Jaws is basically that salty sea dogs may think they can go it alone, but success means competing versions of masculinity working together--the competent but abrasive, the intellectual and the well-meaning family man.

But the real problem with Huckabee's metaphor is that it lays bare the core of the GOP's party-before-country moral bankruptcy. Hillary isn't the shark, the shark is the problems we need to solve. The GOP's rot is that they're running against Hillary, not FOR anything.

If I'm a Republican and I want to use Jaws, I say Hillary is the Mayor, the establishment politician lying about the real problems facing us and ignoring the dangerous monster immigrating onto our beaches.

But from my actual point of view, Hillary is Brody. He cares about children, has experience serving the public in New York, and wants to work within the system to help everyone.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

It's hard to say what will move her away from Fox. It's difficult to confirm if she's there for the money, drunk the kool aide or both. CNN must be headhunting her, they'd be stupid not to.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Why the hell Megyn, I like you (at least right now).

THE SHARK IS GONNA HAVE IMMIGRATION AND OPEN BORDERS.

This election... dogs and cats, living together...

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

It's hard to say what will move her away from Fox. It's difficult to confirm if she's there for the money, drunk the kool aide or both. CNN must be headhunting her, they'd be stupid not to.

I think she's much too smart to actually believe half the bullshit she's saying.

You can see when an issue riles her up, she turns into a completely different person, at least for that issue.

Biggest waste of journalistic talent going right now.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I actually like Megyn Kelly quite a bit from time to time. She's wicked smart and can really put people on the spot when necessary, but she definitely has a "fuck you, got mine" streak a mile wide.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I actually like Megyn Kelly quite a bit from time to time. She's wicked smart and can really put people on the spot when necessary, but she definitely has a "fuck you, got mine" streak a mile wide.

didnt she also insist santa was white? i mean shes very smart and when she or someone she cares about is impacted shes great, but she has zero self-reflection and doesnt make any effort to empathise with the 'others'

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm willing to give Donald Trump the benefit of the doubt on the date thing.

It's 28 days until the election and I think he just transposed some numbers in his head.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Megyn Kelly likes jaws far more than anyone I know... That is for sure. She is singing the song they sing in the cabin the night before.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

didnt she also insist santa was white? i mean shes very smart and when she or someone she cares about is impacted shes great, but she has zero self-reflection and doesnt make any effort to empathise with the 'others'

Was it zero self reflection or was she getting into character?

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    oh my god

Megyn Kelly singing Spanish Ladies in huckabee's fruit loops crazy face is the best thing I've seen this election cycle

huckabee all 'come on u sposed to be on my team' and she's all hahaha you're an idiot

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    She's either complicit, oblivious, or mercenary. The damage done by the channel she works for shouldn't be glossed over because she's now calling idiots idiots. Because she's only going after them because they came down on her like a ton of bricks right off the bat. This is payback for her, not some actual journalism finally.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Someone on here was doing voter registration is Washoe County and said they were going well, do they have updated numbers?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Talk about 2020 makes me the saddest possible panda.

This election has already taken me to the brink, I can't even consider past November 9th right now.

What about when you think about how we need to win it, because census?

Or how 2018 will almost certainly be a crushing defeat because of the 2012 board?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Well absentee ballot out. +1 for Hillary and the democrat running against David Brat. Only another month of this madness. I'm hoping Trump drags down a ton of republicans. Maybe we'll have the option to nuke CU and some of the other crap that has gotten us to this point that is structural (the social and cultural problems are a whole another issue).

Is this good? +1?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Well absentee ballot out. +1 for Hillary and the democrat running against David Brat. Only another month of this madness. I'm hoping Trump drags down a ton of republicans. Maybe we'll have the option to nuke CU and some of the other crap that has gotten us to this point that is structural (the social and cultural problems are a whole another issue).

Is this good? +1?

It's not a poll, it's an increase in the number of votes for Hillary in Virginia.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Is this good? +1?

It's not a poll, it's an increase in the number of votes for Hillary in Virginia.

I think the madness is finally setting in.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

she's 100% there for the money and the job security.
    They're never going to get rid of their golden (ovary) goose. Too many moderate and women and men will will watch when she's on because sometimes she'll whip out some principled stance like the paid leave thing.
    I'll agree she's wasted on fox but quite frankly she strikes me as someone who doesn't give a shit beyond her family unit and the rest of the world can go to hell. If mama bear is taking care of business who gives a shit what else is happening.

In short, I think she's awesome and doesn't care what flag she flies as long as the Kelly's are well taken care of.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    You know you needed it
    edit: That was a lot more assaulty that I had imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMl1NbR0h_A

Aridhol on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Kelly can do good work when something actually manages to pierce her selfish myopic bubble of priviledge. At all other times she does whatever brings in the ratings and as long as she's with Fox that means spouting some horrific shit. It also looks to me like she's clearly trying to use this election as a springboard for the next step on the career ladder and I guess that means leaving Fox because I expect the glass ceiling there is probably made to bulletproof standards.

honovere on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Kelly can do good work when something actually manages to pierce her selfish myopic bubble of priviledge. At all other times she does whatever brings in the ratings and as long as she's with Fox that means spouting some horrific shit. It also looks to me like she's clearly trying to use this election as a springboard for the next step on the career ladder and I guess that means leaving Fox because I expect the glass ceiling there is probably made to bulletproof standards.

The sexist bullshit behind the scenes must be a dumpster fire, as well. Probably worse than most networks.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Utahns: FUUUUUUCK.

Clinton 26
    Trump 26
    McMullin 22
    Johnson 14

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Clinton 26
    Trump 26
    McMullin 22
    Johnson 14

Look, you can only offend a certain group of people so perfectly before they begin to look elsewhere for a President.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I hope law enforcement is prepared to stop violence on election day and for probably weeks afterwards. The rhetoric has been stoked to the point that it seems certain that someone is going to commit violence. Donnie keeps dropping the idea that it's going to be rigged that things will not end well. Pay those Secret Service agents well.

Possibly not in San Antonio.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    The really amusing part of that Utah poll isn't that Trump is tied with Clinton in a deep red state, it's that 62% of said state is emphatically not for the Republican nominee.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Re: Conway's Career

On the one hand, yup, true mercenary, does what needs to be done, was the best hire Trump ever made.

On the other, no one in the media seems to have any professional respect for her at the moment, which would be a problem if it persists past this election.
    Richy wrote: »
    Also, Conway has proven herself to be the only qualified campaign manager on the Republican site. I don't know why you people are worried about her career after Trump. She is probably the only person associate with the Trump campaign who will still have a career after November 8th. Republicans are going to be fighting each other to sign her up on their teams.

Why do people keep acting like she's skilled. The capable Republican campaign officials wouldn't work for Trump. They're working for Senate candidates and SuperPACs. Kelly Ann Conway was not and is not considered top tier, she's who you can get when you fire your second campaign manager post-primaries. She worked on Todd Akin's crash and burn campaign. She was working on Ted Cruz's SuperPAC before this, a secondary role player. Her background is just in polling and she's mostly worked with the conservative and unsuccesful fringe:
    Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, Newt Gingrich's former presidential campaign, Reps. Steve King and Michele Bachmann, FreedomWorks, Americans for Prosperity, The Heritage Foundation, National Rifle Association, and Family Research Council.

This is the second substantial campaign she's run as the actual campaign lead and the last one was characterized by monumentally tanking numbers after ignorant and sexist remarks regarding sexual assault.
    It's probably a matter of their competition. I was listening to random political podcasts after the first debate, since my feed was empty, and one of the similar ones had the head of another conservative polling firm. I want to say Echelon, might have been Majestic. One of those NSA domestic surveillance programs anyway.

But anyway, that podcast (with the head of their polling company) made me question her ability to do basic math, much less actual statistics. I forget the exact issues, but IIRC she was trying to defend these fake polls, and said something like "all fact checks are worthless because they cherry pick the most outrageous falsehoods, not what the candidates (read: trump) actually say most of the time"

And speaking about podcasts:
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I'm a little dismayed that the 538 polls have shown little change so far even though the controversy should start to be in effect by now. I wonder if it really didn't make much difference because he already lost the people he was going to lose in the week following the first debate. Hopefully at least the mass GOP exodus and poor second debate will have an impact by this weekend.

Patience.

Then again, Nate Silver himself has said that he feels more confident about his personal subjective opinion than their models at this point. Their models weren't built for an election like this.

the tone of their podcast put me at incredible ease

Link?
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/fivethirtyeight-podcasts/

Yeah, that last podcast put me a hell of a lot more at ease. I know the thread has had a lot of navel gazing about the scaling factor for their swinginess, and their tendency to try to revert back to the center faster than the other aggregators read the poll movement. But seriously, Nate's attempts at punditry have been one of the most painful things I've been reading this election cycle. In the post-debate coverage, he was grading trump on a more lenient curve than freaking CNN was. IIRC, he was even hedging that the supposed improvement in the later half would make it so that people wouldn't care about how off the rails he was at the start.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Jazz wrote: »
    How does he have no ground game? Surely there are people in his campaign who have run a campaign before? Surely God Emperor Trump cannot have decreed to his camp that "there shall be no ground game" and all have meekly obeyed? Surely he can't micromanage it all to that degree?

I mean... how? Seriously?

Not that I'm sad about it, mind.

Ground game costs money. Despite bBeing a "billionaire", Trump has been very.. " frugal" with his campaign spending.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Also, Conway has proven herself to be the only qualified campaign manager on the Republican site. I don't know why you people are worried about her career after Trump. She is probably the only person associate with the Trump campaign who will still have a career after November 8th. Republicans are going to be fighting each other to sign her up on their teams.

People should be worried of her, not worried for her.

Imagine if Mitt Romney or John McCain had her on their side.

For real. Lady is a reptile. Scares the shit outta me.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular

Clinton 26
    Trump 26
    McMullin 22
    Johnson 14

It's a shame none of the non-Trumpers could possibly endorse another one for that particular state. Pretty large differences.

Mitt is apparently still keeping mum, as is the two presidents Bush.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I can't imagine too many people are lining up to hire the first-time campaign manager who helped shepherd the shittiest campaign in history in its final throes

Ollie North got a job at Fox, so anythings possible.

Especially if she publishes a tell-all about running his campaign.

Oooo maybe that's why she's staying in...

Ollie North should be President just so the original Dark Future novels are proved prescient.*

It was never quite the same in the reissues when the Prez was changed to Emilio Estevez. Although, now I think about it, I don't recall if the reissues predated The West Wing...
    * - yes, I know he should be rotting in jail.

That reminds me

http://comicsbulletin.com/bi-partisan-review-liberality-all/
    The story is also deeply flawed. Mike Mackey is more concerned with demonizing liberals and lionizing the Fox News cast than with creating an actual story. Mackey looks at an alternate future where Al Gore was elected President in 2000.

Check that: An alternate future where Gore was elected AND allowed to take his rightful office in 2000!

Gore leads a “radical liberal movement” that bans conservatives from the airwaves, merges the US military with UN peacekeepers, and slowly surrenders more authority to the UN and its Secretary General Jacques Chirac. By 2021, America is a shadow of its former self. Some citizens rebel against the new administration, now led by President Chelsea Clinton and Vice-President Michael Moore. Chief among them is F.O.I.L., the Freedom of Information League. Sean Hannity, G. Gordon Liddy, and Oliver North work out of an abandoned underwater base, using nanotech-enhanced bodies to continue the fight against the terrorists liberals have not fought. Now they have a chance to kill Osama Bin Laden, the ambassador from Afghanistan. Bin Laden is delivering a speech before the UN on the 20th anniversary of 9/11. But only F.O.I.L. knows he’s carrying a suitcase-sized nuclear bomb to destroy New York City.

04-alod.jpg

I must find this thing. It's awful to the point of accidental parody, like a Chick tract. Beautiful.

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Re: Conway's Career

On the one hand, yup, true mercenary, does what needs to be done, was the best hire Trump ever made.

On the other, no one in the media seems to have any professional respect for her at the moment, which would be a problem if it persists past this election.

Why do people keep acting like she's skilled. The capable Republican campaign officials wouldn't work for Trump. They're working for Senate candidates and SuperPACs. Kelly Ann Conway was not and is not considered top tier, she's who you can get when you fire your second campaign manager post-primaries. She worked on Todd Akin's crash and burn campaign. She was working on Ted Cruz's SuperPAC before this, a secondary role player. Her background is just in polling and she's mostly worked with the conservative and unsuccesful fringe:
    Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, Newt Gingrich's former presidential campaign, Reps. Steve King and Michele Bachmann, FreedomWorks, Americans for Prosperity, The Heritage Foundation, National Rifle Association, and Family Research Council.

This is the second substantial campaign she's run as the actual campaign lead and the last one was characterized by monumentally tanking numbers after ignorant and sexist remarks regarding sexual assault.

Well some people just have a type.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Pretty sure Hillary would rather be martyred than run.

I am imagining her last words being something about hurrying the fuck up because she doesn't have any more time for bullshit from tiny men.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I think a lot of the talk going on here with political assassination and Rambo Clinton is weirder than even this weird ass election

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Clinton 26
    Trump 26
    McMullin 22
    Johnson 14

I have a bet on Hilary at 5/1 in Utah and McMullin at 25/1

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
This discussion has been closed.