Options

[BEER] The Lacing on This Thread is Breathtaking. Mouthfeel

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The Judge wrote: »
    I will never understand AB-InBev's decisions to convince active customers and potential new ones that the craft breweries they purchased are lame and uncool.

It really seems that they are trying to keep their two customer groups separate. The microbrew crowd they want to keep ignorant that the beers they are drinking are owned by Inbev, and the cheap beer crowd they seem to want to reinforce the "Yea fuck those west coast elites and their fancy beers, Only these cheap lagers are American".
    It makes sense and seems likely to appeal to the way those two customer groups see themselves

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Anyone who believes either of those things is being a dumb-dumb and missing out on the other group's beer.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I hope PBR never goes away. If I want cheap beer its my favorite.

In weird beer news I saw Cup Beer at the store the other day. Its noodle flavored beer.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I've had that before. It's a good beer though not particularly remarkable. Just a good example of a Stout.

I'm not saying it's the best I've had but it is really good for the price.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My issues with Inbev and the other Macro breweries is the lobbying pressure they put out to hinder the distribution of their competition, not necessarily with the beer they make. That's usually why I don't support buying from them or the small breweries they've purchased. Beer is happily one of the easier conscientious consumer choices I can make.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    How difficult is brewing from extracts?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Pretty darn easy. You made Mead, it's like that but for less patient people.

• Options

I mean mead didn't require boiling though tbh. Just pitching yeast into water and honey...

I want to try making a porter or stout though

• Options

I mean mead didn't require boiling though tbh. Just pitching yeast into water and honey...

I want to try making a porter or stout though

If you can boil water and run a timer you will be fine. I've always even done mine on a stove, needed to cover two electric burners for my big ass 5 gal pot, but it worked.

• Options
    are there any good kits to try that are like a low IBU highish ABV stout?

• Options
    Get whatever kit your local brew shop has. Most extract kits are about the same. It's generally the starting point, and the whole grain insanity can go from there. I'd recommend getting a kit that has a grain bag step, but no matter what, it's your first beer. Itle probably be beer, if not amazing beer. Just go do it rather than worry about perfect.

• Options
    Like Mead, people with family sticks for stirring the pot and no idea what yeast was managed. Don't over think it.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doing a partial mash helps a ton with extract brewing.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I'm picky about beer is the only worry. Hops are not my favorite thing in the world.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I will drink all of the hops for you. This a sword I can fall on

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Yeah any irish or milk stout is going to be low ibu, but it's still going to be bitter from the roasted malt.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Yeah any irish or milk stout is going to be low ibu, but it's still going to be bitter from the roasted malt.

I can deal with roasted malt. I like roasted malt! Hops remind me of yellow mustard in how I react to them.

Is why I like milk stouts with low hops and witbiers and such.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The Commons, creators of some of the most delicately layered stuff I've ever had and the greatest table beer known to man, no longer exists and hasn't for over a year.

But that doesn't mean kegs of their stuff are gone forever and, holy shit thank you beer gods, I just stumbled onto one out of nowhere.

The weekend is definitely starting off on the right foot.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    If you don't have a local brewshop I'd recommend Williams Brewing. I've purchased stuff from them before and they seem like pretty good folks, and they aren't owned by a big brewery, they sell beer kits as well.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com

Also I was just browsing the site and this kit would be a tasty low hops beer.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Christmas-Wit-Home-Brewing-Beer-Kit-P2521.aspx

webguy20 on
  • Options
    If you don't have a local brewshop I'd recommend Williams Brewing. I've purchased stuff from them before and they seem like pretty good folks, and they aren't owned by a big brewery, they sell beer kits as well.

I have a local brew shop! It's locally owned for like a century too! (it started as a animal feed store)

But I'll check this out too.

• Options

I have a local brew shop! It's locally owned for like a century too! (it started as a animal feed store)

But I'll check this out too.

Oh nice! Yea they'll be able to put you together an extract kit to exactly meet your needs.

• Options
    Oh that kit sounds pretty good too... Maybe next xmas haha.

• Options
    Oh yea, I highly recommend this book "How to Brew". It answered all my questions about getting going brewing. It was a HUGE help. I credit it for getting my first batches right.

l6s8q07geeaz.png

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Alright I think I sent out all targets. If you signed up, make sure I gave you a recipient. We had an odd number this time, so I had to do a round robin kinda thing.

If you have any questions at all about how it works, email is best.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    TIME TO SALSA SHOP!

• Options
    Oh yeah I got the hardest target. Better lock and load

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh yeah I got the hardest target. Better lock and load

One could make the argument that you have the easiest target.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Whoever gets me... Make sure you find some Skittlebrau to throw in there.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Whoever gets me... Make sure you find some Skittlebrau to throw in there.

Is that a real thing?

Cause I've been looking for a good sour.

Edit: A Simpson thing.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I just brewed my first ever homebrew batch yesterday. Went pretty well, though the ice bath in the sink turned out to not be ideal. From the recipe, I brewed 1.5 gallons of concentrated wort in a 4.5 gallon pot. Turns out with so much air displacement in the pot, I couldn't have much ice water in the sink because the pot wanted to just float. So I ended up having to constantly transfer from one sink to the other after filling a small amount and draining the other. I think I also pitched the yeast while it was too warm still at around 78, and didn't fall to the target 72 for another 5 hours or so. But this morning I woke up and there was a lot of bubbling in the airlock and foam on top, so I must have built something that is alive in there!

• Options
    I'm excited to go shopping for my salsa santana this weekend.

• Options
    Woooo picked up this year's anchor holiday release. Looking forward to that! Didn't go with the ungodly huge bottle, fun as that would have been. But this beer always tastes like Christmas to me.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just went shopping for the salsa exchange. It's really handy how most of these don't come in singles, so I have no choice but to have 3-5 bottles left over from each selection.

whoops.jpg

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I was traipsing through Giant the other day on an unrelated errand, when what did I come across?

Why, this!

9n3mdf5p8c73.png

http://ommegang.com/blog/royal-reserve-collection-king-in-the-north/

Hope it's good!

• Options
    Is tree flavored beer thing this year?

I've come across 2 spruce IPAs recently

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Is tree flavored beer thing this year?

I've come across 2 spruce IPAs recently

I've had one of those and it's pretty good. Pine needle goes well with some IPA bitterness.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I had a ballast point spruce IPA, it was good

• Options
    I like a piney IPA to a point. Some of them are way too piney

• Options
    Beer?
    2p2pmv48ogj7.jpg