Options

aesthetic [chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    pan-scandinavism was a pretty cool idea, too bad it died horribly

What we got does feel like something very fitting to the scandinavian spirit

peoples who usually express "You are my dearest friend, I love you and I would do anything for you" through a grunt as a beer is passed, the fact that we have no formal treaties or agreements of defense but it's still just taken as granted that one would go to war for the other

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    oh and speaking of that, skandinavere: one of my favourite bars have my favourite toilet stall graffiti: an graffiti argument about whether or not Skåne belongs to denmark

All citing references, footnotes found by the toilet paper

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    (our higher officers talked about secret informal agreements with their swedish counterparts about such a collusion and nobody had a problem with it)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm now reading the Kalmar Union wiki page and I come across this line: "...the Treaty of Kalmar, signed in the Swedish castle of Kalmar on Sweden's south-east coast, which in medieval times was close to the Danish border..." and I'm like, that definitely needs a citation

lo and behold, right after: [citation needed]

god bless you, nameless wikipedia editors

well closeish. Skåne was danish in medieval times.

I was more amused by the conversational wording of "in medieval times"

you know, back then, in the before days

Skåne was under the Danish crown until the Roskilde Peace, 1658

so a bit more than Medieval times. I guess medieval just refers to when the treaty was signed though.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We do have a pretty good streak of not warring for a while now.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    btw Abdhyius in norwegian news i recently read VIctoria

aside from finding the protagonist and Victoria both frustratingly dumb (in a very plausible ye olde days way, but still) I liked it

I remember loving Jan Kjærstads trilogy where Victoria plays an important role, which was a partial motivation for reading it, but it's been at least ten years since I read them (Forføreren, Erobreren and. . .something. Opdageren?) Who knows what I'd think of them now.

you see why we have problems just denouncing him although he was a fan of hitler?

i'm pretty sure it's possible to denounce the whole hitler thing while appreciating the beauty of his work

at least I didn't find any obvious fascism in the text

except of course the subtle fascism inherent in all naive heartfelt romanticism, *shakes fist at the 19th century*

nationalism gave us independence and democracy. But. Yeah if one writer would be a fan of hitler, it'd be him.

I mean like denounce denounce. Immediately post-war style. We brought back the death penalty to execute collaborationists. That we didn't just denounce hamsun as a trash man traitor was solely because of how fond we were of our great authors.

We solved it by deciding that he had gone insane in his later years.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    GF just did the intro to Saints Row IV. God that's such a good intro.

Which intro's that? I always get Saints Row and That Dragon Cancer mixed up

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    yeah we did the thing too of bringing back the death penalty right after the war, fun times. Then dropped it again in the early 50s

apparently the death penalty was part of military law right up to 93, which surprises me

also, it's not prohibited on a constitutional level so if the situation in parliament got sufficiently fucked it could be brought back I suppose

• Options
    remember the dutch resistance guy, in band of brothers, when the american soldiers are silently shocked at the sight of women being forcibly shaved, going "She's lucky! The men who collaborated are being shot."?

that kind of thing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We were mainly sitting here post-war pretending to have spines, unsuccessfully.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

peoples who usually express "You are my dearest friend, I love you and I would do anything for you" through a grunt as a beer is passed, the fact that we have no formal treaties or agreements of defense but it's still just taken as granted that one would go to war for the other

iirc the big blow to pan-scandinavism was when Norway and Sweden failed to help Denmark at all against Germany's 1864 invasion

tbf Danish politicians had been a bunch of bumbling jingoistic idiots about the whole thing as I understand it, and who the hell volunteers to fight the Prussian army?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    And the corporation continues to consolidate. And nobody minds.

AT&T has reached a deal to buy Time Warner for more than $80 billion in what would become a colossal corporate merger, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

In what some analysts are calling an unprecedented “seismic shift” for the media and technology world, the deal could turn the legacy telecom carrier into a media titan the likes of which America has rarely seen.

A combination between the two companies could rival some of the biggest mergers in history, with AT&T potentially gaining control over hugely valuable brands spanning television, film, sports, news, video games and mobile and residential Internet service.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    It's cold and rainy and I want to go to town for a coffee but I don't want to walk to the bus

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    cold and rainy is underrated

IMG_0484-central-bergen-rain-700px.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Elki wrote: »

AT&T has reached a deal to buy Time Warner for more than $80 billion in what would become a colossal corporate merger, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

In what some analysts are calling an unprecedented “seismic shift” for the media and technology world, the deal could turn the legacy telecom carrier into a media titan the likes of which America has rarely seen.

A combination between the two companies could rival some of the biggest mergers in history, with AT&T potentially gaining control over hugely valuable brands spanning television, film, sports, news, video games and mobile and residential Internet service.

Regulators are going to inspect the shit out of this deal but the AT&T-TimeWarner lawyer army probably has already scoped out the angles

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    remember the dutch resistance guy, in band of brothers, when the american soldiers are silently shocked at the sight of women being forcibly shaved, going "She's lucky! The men who collaborated are being shot."?

that kind of thing.

without having any citations or research to back it up, I feel like a bunch of the people driving that sort of thing might have been the ones who felt bad about not joining or helping the resistance during the actual occupation

though I'm sure at least some of the freedom fighter veterans were assholes about it too

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

[img]http://217.112.90.200/~mrseb /blog2014/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/IMG_0484-central-bergen-rain-700px.jpg[/img]

It is cold and rainy today (and will be all week) and I am really enjoying it at the moment, but as with 48 hours in Vegas or a dinner with a bad date, I would like for it to just go back to summer already

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Regulators are going to inspect the shit out of this deal but the AT&T-TimeWarner lawyer army probably has already scoped out the angles

The recent ProPublica piece on the regulators had left me pretty sad and with low expectations.

https://www.propublica.org/article/airline-consolidation-democratic-lobbying-antitrust

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

"Det var en af Københavns blanke aftener." a favourite line of mine from the novel Hærværk

• Options

that kind of thing.

without having any citations or research to back it up, I feel like a bunch of the people driving that sort of thing might have been the ones who felt bad about not joining or helping the resistance during the actual occupation

though I'm sure at least some of the freedom fighter veterans were assholes about it too

not being active resistance and actively helping the occupiers aren't the same though

I mean it's not like I think it's a good thing to do

but it is very understandable that there was wrath

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    While I wouldn't exactly condone the behavior, remember that in northern NL especially people outright starved in 1944-1945, that breeds a special kind of resentment.

And yeah of course about 10x more people claimed to be in the resistance than there actually were.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    the resistance wasn't something you could just up and join

it was very organized. Most of it was trained in england by SOE.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Good afternoon.

Still dazzled by the big apple.

That is all.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    The corporate SF dystopia can't get here quickly enough. Only then will I be able to live out my cyberpunk fantasies and use naff slang like "download this" or "get de-rezzed, corp-sec".

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

[img]http://217.112.90.200/~mrseb /blog2014/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/IMG_0484-central-bergen-rain-700px.jpg[/img]

It is cold and rainy today (and will be all week) and I am really enjoying it at the moment, but as with 48 hours in Vegas or a dinner with a bad date, I would like for it to just go back to summer already

This is one of the first nice days of the year and I've been in a data center for most of it :(

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

I like the weather but I don't like walking sigh

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The corporate SF dystopia can't get here quickly enough. Only then will I be able to live out my cyberpunk fantasies and use naff slang like "download this" or "get de-rezzed, corp-sec".

What does that even mean, dry body?

Oh. Corporate security. Deep.

• Options

that kind of thing.

not being active resistance and actively helping the occupiers aren't the same though

I mean it's not like I think it's a good thing to do

but it is very understandable that there was wrath

for sure, but I think someone who was not personally harmed in the occupation being an enthusiastic participant in an angry mob afterwards is gross

especially when directed at the 'German girls', who did nothing more than date german soldiers - just a big ball of slutshaming, xenophobia, cowardice. probably other bads as well

and even for someone who was actively fighting or otherwise suffered at the hands of germans and even more so their local allies, there's just a huge difference between mob justice and, well, justice

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    AHlChqR.png

• Options
    my views are also coloured by the occupation of Denmark being one of the most peaceful and cosy ones, relatively

you know, as Nazi occupations go

I have more sympathy for the afterwar fervour in other countries that saw more actual war, like, for example, the Netherlands and Norway

• Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bøllebank
    Operation Bøllebank (English: Operation Hooligan Bashing[1]) was the first combat operation conducted by Danish Armed Forces since World War II. In April 1994, a Danish contingent with elements of the Jydske Dragonregiment on peacekeeping duty in Bosnia, as part of UNPROFORs Nordic battalion (Nordbat 2) located in Tuzla, was ambushed, when trying to relieve a Swedish and Norwegian observation post, Tango 2, that was under heavy artillery fire by the Bosnian Serb Šekovići brigade at the village of Kalesija, but the ambush was dispersed when the UN forces retaliated with heavy fire.

• Options

Operation Bøllebank (English: Operation Hooligan Bashing[1]) was the first combat operation conducted by Danish Armed Forces since World War II. In April 1994, a Danish contingent with elements of the Jydske Dragonregiment on peacekeeping duty in Bosnia, as part of UNPROFORs Nordic battalion (Nordbat 2) located in Tuzla, was ambushed, when trying to relieve a Swedish and Norwegian observation post, Tango 2, that was under heavy artillery fire by the Bosnian Serb Šekovići brigade at the village of Kalesija, but the ambush was dispersed when the UN forces retaliated with heavy fire.

that name is still one of my top ever Operation names

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    guys

guys

my PC booted!

AND IT'S SO QUIET

holy fuck with all the fans spinning and the side panels off it makes no noise at all

i'm in love

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Bogart wrote: »
    [img][/img]bAIfMVg.jpg

jakobagger on
  • Options
    my views are also coloured by the occupation of Denmark being one of the most peaceful and cosy ones, relatively

you know, as Nazi occupations go

I have more sympathy for the afterwar fervour in other countries that saw more actual war, like, for example, the Netherlands and Norway

There's a lot of families here who still have blank spots that don't get talked about anymore

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    guys

guys

my PC booted!

AND IT'S SO QUIET

holy fuck with all the fans spinning and the side panels off it makes no noise at all

i'm in love
    Quiet but warm enough to trigger fusion

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I do cyberpunk aesthetic.

But from a more corporate perspective.

I have the raddest pants you can't even.

• Options

that name is still one of my top ever Operation names

I personally prefer either the American school of over the top names, eg. Freedom Dragon, Skullfuck Eagle etc. or the sinister blandness of corporate and/or German names like Fall Gelb, Fall Rot etc.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Clinton's going to be president, it's going to be a very friendly presidency to scifi megacorp formation

of course Trump would probably just give them branches of government to run

override367 on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    guys

guys

my PC booted!

AND IT'S SO QUIET

i'm in love
    Quiet but warm enough to trigger fusion

cpu sitting at a steady 30c

i got a badass cooling system this time

This discussion has been closed.