Options

aesthetic [chat]

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    I'm bored

If you say "I'm bored" three times into a mirror, BeNarwhal will come out of the mirror and strangle you.

Like, sexy strangle, or the ultrakinky kind?

Ultrakinky.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Season 5 American Horror Story is p good

Lady Gaga is actually not that bad :surprised:

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Dylan getting the novel is great both because Dylan is great and because you get to bask in scootenfroody as Dylan haters get mad

I think it's weird. And I just have an unshakable feeling that they did it just to look cool or whatever.

Mainly I want the prices to go to 150 year old prose hermits living in mountain ranges that nobody's ever heard of, like they usually do.
    As someone who would struggle to name 10 Dylan songs or 10 Nobel prize winning authors maybe I'm not the best person to judge

but I like the choice in part cuz it's pointing out how interconnected all art is and there isn't this clear dividing line between high art and pop art or music and literature etc

I don't know anything about recipients either for the most part.

Here's a thing I've been thinking about before that is totally unrelated to Dylan. None, or mostly none, of these 70 year old Swedish dudes can read Hungarian, Russian or Chinese or other languages some recipients are writing in. There's a disconnection there because they're often drawing from a translators work. I try to read books in English (as opposed to my native Swedish) whenever I can if that's the original language, because translations really are hit or miss. I don't like to be one more step removed from the original text if I can help it.

I don't know what I think about it. A person can only know so and so many languages, so there's no other way to do an international award like this. But then you are sometimes handing out the prize to an author and the committee has never read the exact words that the author penned.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    also the placement requirement for wonders is sometimes extremely annoying given how mediocre the wonders can be and it seems like there's no indictation for when cultural tile expansion happens??

Most wonders seem super weak, based on what I've seen so far. Just not worth the production.

Petra, baby.

Petra

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    "did u kno i know the alphabet

bcefghijklmnopsvwxyz

woops i forgot u r a q t

ill give u the d later"

--surrealitycheck

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

bcefghijklmnopsvwxyz

woops i forgot u r a q t

ill give u the d later"

--surrealitycheck

Such art

Such perfection

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Now that's a good burg

they're good bergs bront

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

It's a mean laugh but I laughed and cried

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I have started Grimrock 2.

On Normal difficulty.

This is shameful but Hard looked scary.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

bcefghijklmnopsvwxyz

woops i forgot u r a q t

ill give u the d later"

--surrealitycheck

Such art

Such perfection
    I think we know who's winning the Nobel Prize in Literature next year

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    also all the leaders feel mushier to me than civ4 (i don't remember civ5)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't buy the connectedness of art argument. No writer would be awarded a prize for a movie, no painter would be awarded a prize for making the best song.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

bcefghijklmnopsvwxyz

woops i forgot u r a q t

ill give u the d later"

--surrealitycheck

this is vintage scheck from like 4 years ago!

geth has gone mad; scheck recycling has begun

rip

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I don't buy the connectedness of art argument. No writer would be awarded a prize for a movie, no painter would be awarded a prize for making the best song.
    ?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @elldren, @Abdhyius

I know NATO requires it get a B name. But can't we just call this one the Platypus?

WB4BWTU.png

It's the design rendering for the new Russian strategic bomber.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

I think those are false analogies.

Dylan wasn't given the prize for his music, he was given the prize for his lyrics.

Lyrics on their own, divorced from the music, certainly fall under the category of literature.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    That kind of looks like they started rendering a stealth aircraft but when they got to the wingtips it glitched out and stopped.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I can imagine, say, an artist producing a piece that consists of a song and a painting and it winning an award for best song, or an acclaimed filmmaker writing a brilliant script for a movie that he isn't able to make winning an award for best movie.

A songwriter who writes songs with a heavy emphasis on the lyrics winning a writing award doesn't seem that crazy to me.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Dylan wasn't given the prize for his music, he was given the prize for his lyrics.

Lyrics on their own, divorced from the music, certainly fall under the category of literature.

Srlsly.

Francis Scott Key is scratching his ghostly head.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Srlsly.

That's not even a good poem though.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

Srlsly.

That's not even a good poem though.

It's not a good song, either, but it's still one of the most-sung poems this side of religion.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    When will anime get an award though

Honk on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

bcefghijklmnopsvwxyz

woops i forgot u r a q t

ill give u the d later"

--surrealitycheck

i am immediately using this on several people

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

tbh I would say that the Tokyo Anime Award could be considered even more prestigious than the nobles

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    My Witch Doctor is now level 25 in Diablo 3. I went rifting for the first time today.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I watched an hour long Final Fantasy XV gameplay video. This game is so weird, but maybe kind of cool and there is a doggo in it. A lot of the design decisions just strike me as so dissonant, it seems to bizarre to me to have these fantasy dudes set up camp in a real-life Official Coleman™ Brand Tent and sit in official Coleman™ Brand camping chairs.

Coleman™ Tents: The only tents adventurers trust to recover MP after a tough battle with a tonberry.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Jump to 2:23 to see Joe Biden do a burnout in his Corvette.

• Options
    If I did localizations of jrpg's I would search and replace all instances of Muramasa and Masamune with hanwei practical.

• Options
    edited October 2016

Since forever: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119698/awards

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Nova_C wrote: »

oh hey it's the college i went to versus the college i regret not going to!

@Nova_C

OU is so pretty ;-;

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Jump to 2:23 to see Joe Biden do a burnout in his Corvette.

this has probably been mentioned

but once you become a president or VP you pretty much never ever get to drive a car again.

EDIT: I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE WATCHED THE VIDEO BEFORE I TALKED LIKE A DUMB

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    If I did localizations of jrpg's I would search and replace all instances of Muramasa and Masamune with hanwei practical.

Monster

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I watched an hour long Final Fantasy XV gameplay video. This game is so weird, but maybe kind of cool and there is a doggo in it. A lot of the design decisions just strike me as so dissonant, it seems to bizarre to me to have these fantasy dudes set up camp in a real-life Official Coleman™ Brand Tent and sit in official Coleman™ Brand camping chairs.

Coleman™ Tents: The only tents adventurers trust to recover MP after a tough battle with a tonberry.

Kp this is important

What does the doggo look like

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I actually disagree with this. Lyrics, in my opinion, seldom stand alone divorced from the music. Dylan is one of the few cases where they sometimes do hold up, but that doesn't make them literature in my view.

The point I was driving at was more that this consideration isn't likely being given to other artists in other genres. I also feel strongly that this would never be awarded to a musician who is not white,

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Star Spangled Banner was written in 1814; any use which places it before that date is Anacreonistic.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I'm waiting for Super Civ Ultra IX Bonus Edition Director's Cut

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Schrödinger's cat playin Civ VI in a box is both alive and dead to Lud at the same time.

Honk on
This discussion has been closed.