As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It's actually Jackhole.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Jackwagon

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Jack Black

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Jackobian

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I don’t want to get all real in this thread but there is a certain awful person in the news right now who’s back story screams that he could easily be donkey Doug

DJ, Body builder, dancer, criminal, Florida man.

These writers apparently nailed Florida...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    And we not even going to mention how their body spray/ energy drink is literally just the two things mixed together

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    And we not even going to mention how their body spray/ energy drink is literally just the two things mixed together

How else would you make a product that can do both?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

If we can have edible lube then drinkable body spray can be a thing too.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I don’t want to get all real in this thread but there is a certain awful person in the news right now who’s back story screams that he could easily be donkey Doug

DJ, Body builder, dancer, criminal, Florida man.

These writers apparently nailed Florida...
    That dude is way angrier than Donkey Doug.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I died at You Both It

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Florida is like the ridiculous over the top side character of America

616610-1.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Pillboi being an actual
    pill boy / med tech
    has left me a broken, broken man.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Get ready for
    Eleanor’s mom
    to be the worst person on the show

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Get ready for
    Eleanor’s mom

Yeah I don't really see much redemption happening, but I could easily see it as a huge personal step in development for Eleanor.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Get ready for
    Eleanor’s mom

Yeah I don't really see much redemption happening, but I could easily see it as a huge personal step in development for Eleanor.

I'm gonna take the over on redemption.

If this show has taught us ANYTHING, it's that no matter how much you think something is going to happen, how things are moving to an obvious conclusion, how a story beat is absolutely inevitable...

You're wrong.

And not even just wrong in a binary straight line right/wrong manner. But in a twisted Jeremey Bearimy way wrong.

And it'll STILL make sense in a fashion, and it'll be awesome.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    In the context of the show, it's gotta be pretty weird if you're in the good place and your loved ones are getting butt spiders daily.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Javen wrote: »
    Get ready for
    Eleanor’s mom

No way, obviously Eleanor is going to murder her and lose all her goodness points.

Edit: Obviously.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    In the context of the show, it's gotta be pretty weird if you're in the good place and your loved ones are getting butt spiders daily.

See, that's one of the niggling issues I have with the good place. I don't think I could ever accept their rationale for sending my entire family to endless torture. I'd rebel just as a given.

LoisLane on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So I just learned about Laplace's Demon the other day.
    Its Janet. Janet is the demon. Basically the theory goes that if someone knew how every possible atom in existence will react at any given moment they can predict the future. Janet knows this and built a VR simulator that can basically predict future events ( in a reasonable margin of error as she hasnt updated her data in a year plus). I feel like that machine is gonna come back

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »

See, that's one of the niggling issues I have with the good place. I don't think I could ever accept their rationale for sending my entire family to endless torture. I'd rebel just as a given.

Speculation (though as we've all said, at this point does it really matter, since it'll all be wrong anyway):
    I really feel that at some point they're going to have to tackle that question about what is the point of the afterlife? Why are demons torturing souls for eternity? Unless the whole point is that demons just want to do it, but I feel that there will be a more interesting answer than that. Especially since they've been very elusive about seeing (or anyone from) the actual Good Place. I mean, I am by no means a philosophy/ethics expert, but I think this is one of the big arguments against a classical Christian version of heaven and hell. If the purpose of hell is to essentially threaten you into doing good during your life, its the threat (not the actual existence) that is important. So, unless you're part of team cockroach and get a second chance at life, there is no point for hell to actually exist (torturing you after your dead doesn't help you be a better person since you're not alive).

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

Speculation (though as we've all said, at this point does it really matter, since it'll all be wrong anyway):
    I really feel that at some point they're going to have to tackle that question about what is the point of the afterlife? Why are demons torturing souls for eternity? Unless the whole point is that demons just want to do it, but I feel that there will be a more interesting answer than that. Especially since they've been very elusive about seeing (or anyone from) the actual Good Place. I mean, I am by no means a philosophy/ethics expert, but I think this is one of the big arguments against a classical Christian version of heaven and hell. If the purpose of hell is to essentially threaten you into doing good during your life, its the threat (not the actual existence) that is important. So, unless you're part of team cockroach and get a second chance at life, there is no point for hell to actually exist (torturing you after your dead doesn't help you be a better person since you're not alive).
    They don't care about redemption, they care about punishment.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I suspect it's just always been that way.

Time in the afterlife is a Jeremy Bearimy-shaped loop. Demons (and, presumably, mortal souls) have something akin to sequential, ongoing memories but apparently things in the afterlife just are. Demons torture mortal souls because that's what they do, have always done, and always will do. If the gang ends up causing changes to occur in the afterlife I expect it will turn out that nobody ever bothered to consider doing things a different way. The point system is dumb and unfair but...that's just how it's always been.

Elanor's mom speculation:
    We just had the Jason's Dad storyline with an apparently-horrible but actually not-bad, deep-down parent getting a sort of redemption. I bet Elanor's mom turns out to have superficially turned her life around and become an ideal person/wife/mother in her new life but it actually awful deep-down and Elanor's story with her involves some sort of realization/internalization that appearing good and doing things that seem good on the surface don't necessarily correlate directly with whether you're a good person.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Eleanor's Mom is Tahani?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Eleanor's Mom is Tahani?
    Tahani is (well, was) a good person from a great distance.
    Up close she is blatantly obviously self-obsessed and does nothing that isn't self-serving. You need a Wikipedia-level summary view to think she's kind or giving.

I mean someone whom you can meet, interact with, and even get to know to a shallow degree and believe they're a caring, giving, self-sacrificing, etc. person and it is only with greater familiarity you realize they're doing all of these things for ultimately negative reasons - like to indebt people to them or to cultivate an image they can use to get what they want, etc.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Calling it, just to cover all bases:
    Eleanor kills her mom in the cold open of the episode, preferably in a shopping cart-related fashion.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Selective memory erasure is a thing. I don't doubt for a second the good place does it out of some kind of misguided pity

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I've been wondering if the real Good Place might actually be a form of prison in itself; a kind of lotus-eater machine a distraction that's designed to *stop* Good people from finding out about the existence of The Bad Place ("Oh, souls that don't make it just... evaporate"); that's the only way I can imagine to stop *truly* Good people from looking to rebel and save others. It does raise awkward questions about Janets, though - is it only "our Janet" that can talk about The Bad Place (certainly it helps to galvanise Tahani's personality to *know* that she's better than others)

mattclem on
  • Options
    mattclem wrote: »

I've been wondering if the real Good Place might actually be a form of prison in itself; a kind of lotus-eater machine a distraction that's designed to *stop* Good people from finding out about the existence of The Bad Place ("Oh, souls that don't make it just... evaporate"); that's the only way I can imagine to stop *truly* Good people from looking to rebel and save others. It does raise awkward questions about Janets, though - is it only "our Janet" that can talk about The Bad Place (certainly it helps to galvanise Tahani's personality to *know* that she's better than others)

People in the Good Place probably don't remember their lives at all. If they did they'd fret about the horrible things that were going on in the world when they died and whether those things ever got resolved, the people they loved and whether they had good lives and when they might show up, and the tons of people in the world who clearly did not make it to the Good Place - all of which would be directly in opposition to an existence of eternal happiness.

Or The Good Place is not actually 'good' and is just not actively bad. Which I guess would be fine, given that the alternative is butt spiders.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Well...(spoilers are up through most recent episode)
    I don’t even necessarily believe they were resurrected. For all we know, all the principle characters are in the Bad Place right now.

The ludicrous approximation of real society in the places we’ve seen in the past few episodes smacks of Michael’s craftsmanship.

I don’t think he is behind it but maybe the judge is.

Michael confirmed that memories can be altered in the afterlife, too, which could alter perceptions and what people would accept as reality.

I also think I’m maybe probably definitely possibly not not not not not not wrong.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I don’t even necessarily believe they were resurrected. For all we know, all the principle characters are in the Bad Place right now.

The ludicrous approximation of real society in the places we’ve seen in the past few episodes smacks of Michael’s craftsmanship.

Michael confirmed that memories can be altered in the afterlife, too, which could alter perceptions and what people would accept as reality.

I also think I’m maybe probably definitely possibly not not not not not not wrong.

Schur has flat out said this is wrong, for the record.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

Nah, remember, we’ve got Ron Swanson’s safes and Jean Ralphio wine, it’s just Schur-verse where there are obvious exaggerations and deviations.

Well, except Florida, that’s still dead-on

Donkey Doug doing the Bortles war cry absolutely slayed me.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Schur has flat out said this is wrong, for the record.
    Which part? That they're in the Bad Place still?

I can sort of see this as being limbo of some kind. Or the inspiration for a purgatory. Or an initial test run for a purgatory-like system.

Hey, you died. You sucked and deserved Hell. Get better.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

Nah, remember, we’ve got Ron Swanson’s safes and Jean Ralphio wine, it’s just Schur-verse where there are obvious exaggerations and deviations.

Well, except Florida, that’s still dead-on

Donkey Doug doing the Bortles war cry absolutely slayed me.

For me it was
    "this is the police! We have you surrounded!"
    "Are you cops? You have to tell me if you are!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not entirely sure that there is a Good Place.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure that there is a Good Place.

I want to say this is wrong, because there's evidence that arguably supports it. Unless the Judge existing prior to Michael turning to Team NotSoBad (needs workshopping) was a massive pre-anticipation that a demon would go "bad". That her existence was known, indicates that even if her current portrayal is faked, a Judge of sorts does exist.

But I can't, because expectations get Schur'd in this show ALL the time.

Though it's snowball unlikely that the Good Place is anything like what the first season equivalent is. It's quite possibly three people who can't stand each other because they think the other two are judging them.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The CGI effect around the Earth <--> Afterlife door looks just like summoning an exit portal from the holo-deck.

Janet! Arch!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Simulation layers can go up as well as down.

Emulating the emulator inside the emulator emulating the emulator running the simulator running the emulator. Loop 'N' times.

Jeremy Bearimy and Emily Emu.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Holy forking shirt guys this show is so good.

Mrs Kneel and I are halfway through season two after powering through Parks and Rec. Absolute brilliance and lots of laugh out loud moments.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg