As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn in Hell, Jack Chick

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I still don't know who this person was.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    tumblr_ofkh7rOTUH1qazp9mo1_500.jpg

You should really check with @Zonugal befote posting his picture

One of my better moments.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I still don't know who this person was.

Deeply conservative and reclusive cartoonist that made and distributed pamphlets containing cartoons about his views on how to live life in a Christian way, critiquing things he saw as ungodly such as roleplaying games, homosexuality, Islam, and satanism in a way that was usually a) incredibly unrealistic to the point of silliness and b) extremely prejudicial and bigoted.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    best old games are Quest for Glory, it is known

Have you played Heroine's Quest? It's a totally free game, a lovingly fan-made homage to the QfG games

I recently did a full-series runthrough on QfG when that big Sierra Humble Bundle went up, and then finally gave Heroine's Quest a shot after. It's a better Quest for Glory game than any of the actual Quest for Glory games, with the possible exception of QfG4, which it at least ties with.

I hadn't heard about this and I am VERY intrigued

It's all wrapped up in Norse folklore/mythology, has some very clever ideas (including a frostbite mechanic that makes exploration genuinely exciting and dangerous), fun puzzles, really excellent SVGA graphics, combat that's actually half-decent, a really slick soundtrack. It's even fully voice-acted, with most of it half-competent. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, I kept thinking you guys were talking about a comic Chick made about Debate and Discourse. I kept wondering how Penny Arcade ended up getting Chick's attention.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I have known about Chick Tracts for nearly as long as I've had access to the Internet, but I still haven't seen one in real life.

I too thought they were a rumor and a bad joke
    Then I saw the Harry Potter ones. Years later one of the church groups hides them in the liquor at work so I have a bunch of them but not the really good ones

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    tumblr_ofkt1seNJf1qzeo2zo1_500.jpg

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i've seen them being sold in novelty and gag stores. which was funny at the time, but in hindsight, meant that those stores were giving money to Chick. hrmm.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    tumblr_o0gaf9jQSv1rsblalo1_250.jpg

tumblr_nw53hk79Gj1rsblalo1_400.jpg

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    joey's got it allllll figured out

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The one with the pedophile who gets into heaven is the one that got removed, right?

You know what?

I don't want to know.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The one with the pedophile who gets into heaven is the one that got removed, right?

You know what?

I don't want to know.

The idea probably being that the worst people can get into heaven through a profession of faith, to hammer home the point that accepting Jesus can save anyone (and provide a solid counterpoint to the Tract posted earlier with the Catholic who did good in his life but still burned).

"Got removed" from where, that Chick printed it and it got pulled from circulation?

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    PPwg1n7.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    PPwg1n7.jpg

Is that Han Solo?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    PPwg1n7.jpg

Is that Han Solo?

yeah p sure that scene happened in the prequels

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

You know what?

I don't want to know.

https://jackchick.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/chick-tract-review-lisa/

Trigger warning asf. It has commentary as well, condemning the tract. It's... horrifying

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tox wrote: »

You know what?

I don't want to know.

https://jackchick.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/chick-tract-review-lisa/

Trigger warning asf. It has commentary as well, condemning the tract. It's... horrifying

Fuck

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I like me some Monkey Island, even though I can't get my copies of I and II to work on my current computer. I wound up playing them in the order 3, 1, 2, and then Tales.

Luckily there are remastered versions of 1 and 2 available on Steam and GOG. You can even play with the original graphics if you prefer.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    qa3xiabwawqm.gif

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    m7ioihwqcz8s.gif

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That raises a good point.

Who is Jesus?

Find out on my new sitcom about That Lady and her invisible friend Jesus where they hunt vampires

• Options
    thirteen years too late, uriel

https://youtu.be/4LRIypcaIX4

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm anyways late.

I think I'll workshop this idea some more though before this nyquil knocks me out.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    m7ioihwqcz8s.gif

YOUR SATANIC VAMPIRISM IS NO MATCH FOR THE FORCE FIELD OF JESUS

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

The ONLY saving grace for that movie was the female lead.

If there is a Hell, that movie is being played 24/7, and we're strapped into that chair from a clockwork orange, forced to watch it for all eternity

Invectivus on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter in many years

But I remember it being thoroughly okay

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I haven't seen Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter in many years

But I remember it being thoroughly okay
    Invasion-of-the-Body-Snatchers-1.jpg

Invectivus on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

man this movie was disappointing

• Options
    jesus christ: vampire hunter rules

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    lg4.jpg

lg6.jpg

1Epxb7A.jpg

8OiOWbD.jpg

lg17.jpg

lg11.jpg

lg14.jpg

lg15.jpg

lg20.jpg

lg21.jpg

lg.jpg

lg22.jpg

http://lauralot89.blogspot.ca/2013/06/the-last-generation-1972.html

Jack Chick's nightmare fantasy world would make a good Rifts campaign setting. I do like that this dystopian future was caused by Jesus Christ Superstar.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

it had a couple good jokes but I just can't get over how they took the premise and thought "okay so the first thing we should do is make Jesus look like some blowjob from the background of a Red Hot Chili Peppers music video"

• Options

it had a couple good jokes but I just can't get over how they took the premise and thought "okay so the first thing we should do is make Jesus look like some blowjob from the background of a Red Hot Chili Peppers music video"

i mean i am also super biased because i got invited to the nyc premiere as well

plus i just really like the odessa filmworks guys

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'll say the same thing I said about Scalia

I'm not glad he's dead

but I sure am ecstatic that he's permanently retired.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    AGCdA1v.gif

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Have you played Heroine's Quest? It's a totally free game, a lovingly fan-made homage to the QfG games

I recently did a full-series runthrough on QfG when that big Sierra Humble Bundle went up, and then finally gave Heroine's Quest a shot after. It's a better Quest for Glory game than any of the actual Quest for Glory games, with the possible exception of QfG4, which it at least ties with.

It's all wrapped up in Norse folklore/mythology, has some very clever ideas (including a frostbite mechanic that makes exploration genuinely exciting and dangerous), fun puzzles, really excellent SVGA graphics, combat that's actually half-decent, a really slick soundtrack. It's even fully voice-acted, with most of it half-competent. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Holy shit, thanks for the recommendation! I just tried it out tonight and jeez it brings back memories. Even the jokes are just like the old QfG series! (And of course I died from frostbite in 27 minutes... maybe I shouldn't try the highest difficulty setting yet.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Aaahhhhh today's a good day for jokes

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

Holy shit, thanks for the recommendation! I just tried it out tonight and jeez it brings back memories. Even the jokes are just like the old QfG series! (And of course I died from frostbite in 27 minutes... maybe I shouldn't try the highest difficulty setting yet.)

I'm glad you dig it!

Look, everybody! Jack Chick indirectly made somebody happy!

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    JbE4vnC.png