As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Kromlech
    They look awesomely like the oldschool bird raptor jumppacks, which were always my favorite. Good resin casts too.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    He looks amazing.
    Are those Wolfen legs?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda bummed I just got a set of normal raptor jump packs for my characters now that I've seen those

I still like them more than the boxy imperial ones

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    He looks amazing.
    Are those Wolfen legs?

They're fenris wolf legs.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Ordered some Merlins Magic for a project im working on and thought to myself... hey, lets check out some casting molds.

So i finally got around to getting a mold from Hirst Arts after years of wanting one...

yz68j1G.jpg

did 11 castings today. gonna make me a dice tower!

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    Finished my Yokai, really happy with how they came out :)

Kgc1dP2.jpg

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Wanted a Chaos Contemptor with fists for a while. New rules make it much better and I had this resin contemptor laying around... so I put this together for my Word Bearers.

Chaos Contemptor with Power Fist, Chain Fist, and 2x Plasma Blaster/Soul Burner

JEoRUqE.jpg
    Yvs5CKD.jpg
    iyuQwAH.jpg
    ZkQPpbN.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Painted my first reiver. I am doing each as a different chapter to figure out what loyalist chapter I want to paint.

The first one is an Ultramarine as I had the transfers and stuff.

ywp13bAl.jpg

rq5OPt4l.jpg

XZ1U9W1l.jpg

HsDN2cLl.jpg

I am terrible at transfer sheets as I never use them as Chaos. I tend to hand paint any symbols or use the fancy ass pauldrons and such so I don't need them. And as my legion is a custom pallet set I don't use the legion transfers.

I found painting smurfs underwhelming. Also this was my first time using a white base as well which was interesting. My chaos are all black based and so are my orks. I am using the white to do my daemonettes you can see in the background because they have a different scheme.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Ordered some Merlins Magic for a project im working on and thought to myself... hey, lets check out some casting molds.

So i finally got around to getting a mold from Hirst Arts after years of wanting one...

yz68j1G.jpg

Yessssss.. Welcome to the plaster fun club!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Painted my first reiver. I am doing each as a different chapter to figure out what loyalist chapter I want to paint.

I am terrible at transfer sheets as I never use them as Chaos. I tend to hand paint any symbols or use the fancy ass pauldrons and such so I don't need them. And as my legion is a custom pallet set I don't use the legion transfers.

I found painting smurfs underwhelming. Also this was my first time using a white base as well which was interesting. My chaos are all black based and so are my orks. I am using the white to do my daemonettes you can see in the background because they have a different scheme.

Microset and microsol are the secret to making transfers look super rad. You can also gloss coat the area you want to apply the transfer to first to make it look really good.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Microset and microsol are the secret to making transfers look super rad. You can also gloss coat the area you want to apply the transfer to first to make it look really good.

Throw on a top coat of Vallejo Decal Fix (don't bother with their medium if you have micro-sol and micro-set – they do the same job) to matte everything down and hide the edges and your decals will look painted on.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    night lord assault marine

sdcS5yE.jpg?1

CiMqpTS.jpg?1

starting to wonder if that chest lightning is a bit ott.

also, totally laying in a set of those kromlech jump packs!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    manji wrote: »
    night lord assault marine

sdcS5yE.jpg?1

CiMqpTS.jpg?1

starting to wonder if that chest lightning is a bit ott.

also, totally laying in a set of those kromlech jump packs!

That chest lightning is cool and you should feel cool.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh man, I love yellows with a bit of red in them.

...I guess you call that orange.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    assault marine #2. i swear these guys look better IRL! gonna have to upgrade from a phone camera

J8T7Nsk.jpg?1

the chainmail bath towel didn't quite go to plan. making pinholes in a thin piece of greenstuff not anchored to anything is basically unworkable.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

yz68j1G.jpg

Which plaster do you guys use for these? I've been messing around with plaster lately, using a lightweight type, and I think it's a little too fragile.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I doodled a berserker.
    berserker01.jpg

He's angry because he's short.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Although I've found good spray primers thanks to the advice here, I'm planning ahead for winter and the high humidity in the rest of summer, and would like to get an airbrush for priming, base coating, and topcoats.

After a bit of research, I understand I would need the airbrush, a .3 needle, a compressor with a tank and a water collector, a hose, a cleaning cup and cleaning solution. Does this make sense? Would anyone be able to suggest a good package, or should I get things individually?

Edit: meant to say with a tank

I made the following list of items to get. Would be happy to hear people's thoughts before I commit! I chose all Iwata components as they seem to have a reputation for durability, and so as to make sure all the parts fit together.
    Iwata-Medea Revolution CR Dual Action airbrush
    Iwata-Medea Studio Series Sprint Jet Single Piston Air Compressor
    Iwata-Medea Universal Spray Out Pot
    Iwata-Medea Airbrush Cleaner 32 oz
    Iwata-Medea Air Hose
    Master Airbrush Brand Portable Hobby Airbrush Spray Booth
    3M Paint Project Respirator, Medium

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I worked on this guy some more. Something doesn't seem right, and every time I try to clean it up some, it seems to get worse.

20170724_191152_zps6ff6frps.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I'd say it needs a brown wash for the yellow, applied everywhere including the shoulder rims. And a sepia wash for the banner.

The problem with yellow is how transparent it is with 1-2 coats, and how chunky it gets with too many more. I would prime any future guys white and darken down to yellow instead of brightening up from black. It does mean more work in the crevices and metals, but the armor will thank you.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I finished my test model for my Reivers. I definitely like this more than all ultramarine blue, so I will go ahead and do this scheme for the rest of them.
    mNSdjcD.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, that makes way more sense for shadow killmans. Awesome scheme.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    I'd say it needs a brown wash for the yellow, applied everywhere including the shoulder rims. And a sepia wash for the banner.

The problem with yellow is how transparent it is with 1-2 coats, and how chunky it gets with too many more. I would prime any future guys white and darken down to yellow instead of brightening up from black. It does mean more work in the crevices and metals, but the armor will thank you.

I did the yellow on white primer. At this point I probably have too.many coats of yellow. And I've given the marine several washes.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I hate how boxy and plain the regular rhino is, especially the big flat hatch on top. So I decided to spruce mine up:

Uzk2h6D.jpg

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I worked on this guy some more. Something doesn't seem right, and every time I try to clean it up some, it seems to get worse.

20170724_191152_zps6ff6frps.jpg

I think that the problem is that you're just painting yellow. Yellow is kind of like white. You don't actually paint it. Or rather, you compose it of a ton of different colors to give the illusion that something is all one color. Example:

https://seismicminiaturepaintingstudio.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/imp-fist-lc-1.jpg

That yellow is actually painted with a blend from a very dark brown to the yellow.

Here is one with less shading, but you see VERY dynamic highlighting from a dark brown all the way to almost white:

https://iyandenswraith.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/img_0216.jpg?w=1000&h=700&crop=1

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

*snip*

Which plaster do you guys use for these? I've been messing around with plaster lately, using a lightweight type, and I think it's a little too fragile.

I don't fuck around, I go straight for the highest-test stuff I can get. That, in the last fifteen years, has been three 50-pound boxes of Excalibur. Die Stone plaster is super-smooth mixing, takes paint and glue super well, and is exceptionally hard when set but can be drilled and cut with tooling (Note: Dust Warning).

Be aware that anything you build of substantial size will be heavy as hell. For instance, I built my first tabletop dungeon set (I do this a lot, btw) to cover a 45"" x 52.5"" area (over sixteen square feet), in 7.5" square modular tiles. Those 7.5" square tiles were a layer of MDF, with a layer of floor tiles glued to it, with wall blocks then built atop; a straight hallway, for instance, had walls on two sides 1.5" thick and 2" tall across the 7.5" span. Each of these 7.5" modular dungeon segments weighs in the neighborhood of plus or minus a pound each. That made the entire thing weigh a feckton for transport.
    nzrkYxf.jpg

I've since refined my build methods, using walls that are less than a floor tile wide (0.5" except at corners) and tall (1.5" tall), and it works much nicer. Also weighs substantially less.
    icPfA8U.jpg

Due to using die stone, this stuff is nigh-indestructible. The worst wear & tear it takes with even a small bit of care is chipped paint, so I suggest if you build something like this you use a die stone color that you don't mind showing through in places, or using a colorant during the mix.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about this stuff. Like I said, I've been doing it for entirely too long, and built entirely too many things like this.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Your images aren't showing up for me.

I'm thinking about checking out that style of casting because I think it would be fun to build a really nice modular 3D Space Hulk setup.

• Options
    edited July 2017

I'm thinking about checking out that style of casting because I think it would be fun to build a really nice modular 3D Space Hulk setup.

God fecking damnit I hate the internet some days. Fixed. I think.

Nips on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, those look rad as hell.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

God fecking damnit I hate the internet some days. Fixed. I think.

Weird, the pictures were showing up for me before just fine. They still are, and are still awesome (aside from what appears to be an awful lot of giant spiders in the first one).
    I'd love to play a game on a fully done up board like that. Most of my D&D experiences have been "theater of the mind" or "Let me get this white board and draw a square on it to represent a dungeon, then a smaller square to show the sinister and quite likely evil alter of a forgotten god king" kind of things. Still fun, but not quite the same.

And that first dungeon looks like it could shrug off a bullet or two.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Today I opened a pot of emperor's children that I've 100% had for less than 5 years. It looked alright on top, but the moment I stuck in a toothpick to mix it, I knew it wasn't going to go far. It wasn't dried out, but a horrendous gunky mess. Thankfully I only needed a little, but it was a great reminder of how little I like or endorse GW paints.
    Now I need to pop open a pot of gehenna's gold and pray for a better fate, because I need way more of it. <_<

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Today I opened a pot of emperor's children that I've 100% had for less than 5 years. It looked alright on top, but the moment I stuck in a toothpick to mix it, I knew it wasn't going to go far. It wasn't dried out, but a horrendous gunky mess. Thankfully I only needed a little, but it was a great reminder of how little I like or endorse GW paints.
    Now I need to pop open a pot of gehenna's gold and pray for a better fate, because I need way more of it. <_<
    1. I think your expectations are a bit off; five years is a helluva long time for paint. So is 3-4 years. Actually, some pains come over all gooey after a year…
    2. Add some Vallejo airbrush thinner. Best magic paint restorative I've found yet.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    When I still routinely use bottles of reaper exactly as old and have no problems, I'm not sure it's that unreasonable. GW's pots are notoriously bad.
    I'll throw some thinner in later and get back to you. Again, I didn't need much so it was all okay, but I'm happy to make it useful again given the possibility.

The gold has wound up just fine, so it's not like it's all bad.

• Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    thiccboye
    lkibb8rohjzq.jpg
    cgqzb1ndxort.jpg
    13k6rwznhich.jpg

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    that is a gorgeous pink on that Deathguard

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    On the subject of paint pot life span, I went over to a friend's place last weekend and he's still using this beast:
    DFWI0MSVwAAMcUN.jpg

I hated those pots when i was a kit though, could never get the tops open

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I have a bunch of those I still use!

Got my eyes tested and apparently they are worse again. So that explains my difficulty focusing on models. ;( Got given focusing exercises and stuff to do as I have "high visual demands" hah!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hawk Turquoise is such a sexy colour

Love that paint

• Options
    J wrote: »
    I have a bunch of those I still use!

Got my eyes tested and apparently they are worse again. So that explains my difficulty focusing on models. ;( Got given focusing exercises and stuff to do as I have "high visual demands" hah!

How bad is worse?
    Curious about this because the last time I had my eyes tested was in my teens where they were great, but in the last year I've felt similar regarding focus. Really only seems to come up while using my computer, so I'm not sure if it's just a bad monitor/font readability combination or what, but I'd like to know at what level it's started to be an issue for you to work on minis.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    TacoForce wrote: »
    thiccboye
    cgqzb1ndxort.jpg

Drill that bolter, son!

This discussion has been closed.