Options

[2016 Presidential Election] Vote Early, Vote Often

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Posted in wrong thread:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/swing-states-2016-election/2016/10/poll-trump-clinton-florida-230322

What did they do? Only poll the norther half of Florida?

It oversampled hispanic voters and he's still winning?!

Isn't that really bad?

No. Oversampling minority populations is done-for among other reasons- to make sure the sample you have is actually representative of that group. In Florida for example, you might want to over sample Latinos, so that you get a representative cross section of them rather than a small sample that is say disproportionately Cuban Latinos. The overall poll is(should) still be weighted against the actual demographics.

So if Florida is 60% white, 25% Latino, 10% black, and 5% other. And I sample 1000 people, I might actually sample 400 White People, 300 Latinos and 200 blacks and 100 "others". But if every white person went Trump, and every non white person went Clinton the final results would be Trump 60: Clinton 40.

No?

that's 40/60

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would love to get into the whole "people who I dislike should not be treated the same" angle and the implications it has on the left vs. the radical left but I think that goes beyond the scope of this thread.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Posted in wrong thread:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/swing-states-2016-election/2016/10/poll-trump-clinton-florida-230322

Isn't that really bad?

No. Oversampling minority populations is done-for among other reasons- to make sure the sample you have is actually representative of that group. In Florida for example, you might want to over sample Latinos, so that you get a representative cross section of them rather than a small sample that is say disproportionately Cuban Latinos. The overall poll is(should) still be weighted against the actual demographics.

So if Florida is 60% white, 25% Latino, 10% black, and 5% other. And I sample 1000 people, I might actually sample 400 White People, 300 Latinos and 200 blacks and 100 "others". But if every white person went Trump, and every non white person went Clinton the final results would be Trump 60: Clinton 40.

No?

that's 40/60

That's not how statistics work. The point he was making was that if:

1)The demographics in Florida is 60% white and 40% non-white
    2) You sampled 1000 people, 400 white and 600 non-white
    3) All white samples said they would vote Trump and non-white said Clinton

The statistical inference is that Florida is gonna go Trump 60, Clinton 40 since you take the data from 3 and apply it to 1. Step 2 is just to make sure you have proper sampling and has no real bearing on the actual outcome other than to ensure your data is large and representative enough to be accurate

ObiFett on
  • Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    WordLust wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    notdroid wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-hollywood-walk-of-fame-star-230330
    Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was destroyed Wednesday morning by a man purporting to be a construction worker. Trump's name and the TV logo once emblazoned on the star are no longer visible.

OMG they TRASHED it!

That's really fucking not okay. Damnatio memorae is not something we should be doing.

Oh look! He knows a Latin word!

I don't disagree with you that this dude probably should not have done this, but I disagree that it is not something we should do in principle.

Sometimes there are people in history who create terribleness, and while it is important to remember those people, it is not important to honor them. If you view destroying Trump's star as in the same category as pulling down statues of Stalin (that's a bit hyperbole, but insert whichever analogy you like), then it's not such a terrible thing.

Refusing to bestow honor upon tyrants is not necessarily equal to erasing history.

The only person in American history who earned historical erasure is Benedict Arnold. So unless you have a case that Donald Trump is a traitor, then yes, this went too far.

This is a joke right?

Benedict Arnold is like a guy who tried to turn over a fort during the American Revolution over being continually snubbed by the chain of command. Trump has done this life 100x worse this election alone.

Get some perspective man.

Also, the fact that we are talking about Benedict Arnold proves that historical erasure did not actually take place.

So.

You know.

His name is quite literally synonymous with being a traitor. He's one of the most remembered people of all time.

Maybe in your house. In mine we call traitors loghains. JUSTICE FOR MERRICK NEVAR FORGET!

*pushes up glasses* Do you mean King Maric? Maric didn't get betrayed by Loghain. Cailin did. And Cailin had it coming! Down with hereditary monarchies!

This kind of attitude is exactly why the disaster at Ostagar happened.

Loghain would have you believe that Ostagar happened because of a video, but we know it really happened because of radical darkspawn extremists. Loghain won't even dare call them that, how can he hope to defeat them?

Of course, we'll never know the truth, because Loghain ran his own private carrier pigeon service, and murdered 33000 pigeons. Bleached them with acid wash!

#Ostagar #Lockhimup

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Posted in wrong thread:

Isn't that really bad?

No?

that's 40/60

No, it's 60/40.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Posted in wrong thread:

Isn't that really bad?

No?

that's 40/60

No because you are still weighting the responses back to the actual(census) demographics. The point isn't to make a poll whose results disproportionately represent the group you are over sampling. It's to make sure that the samples of the minority populations are large enough to be a good cross section.

Say i'm sampling a population of 1 million people that is 99% white, 1% black. and I survey 500 people. If I survey 495 whites and 5 blacks, how confident can I be that those 5 black responses are representative?

But if I instead sample, 450 whites and 50 blacks, I can be more confident that the black sample is representative, and the white sample probably is still just as representative as a sample of 495.

Then when I publish the results of the poll, I need to make sure to weight the black samples at the correct 1% amount. So I'd say duplicate x11 the responses of every white person I surveyed. Making the final pool of responses 4950 whites 50 blacks(a 99:1 ratio).

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I just read an open letter that Trump wrote to John Travolta and Kelly Preston after their son died. It's being passed around the press, apparently, but I encountered it on Cracked.com of all places. It's just the most Trumpian thing imaginable, made so very much worse by the fact that it's a condolence letter about a dead kid. I'll drop the wayback machine link to it in the spoiler along with the text. But I'm definitely spoilering this, because it's just gross.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100217210521/http:/www.trumpuniversity.com/blog/post/2009/01/loyalty-and-kelly-preston.cfm
    I have always respected people who were loyal and faithful--which brings to mind Kelly Preston. A long time ago, before I was married, I met Kelly Preston at a club and worked like hell to try and pick her up. She was beautiful, personable, and definitely had allure. At the time I had no idea she was married to John Travolta.

In any event, my track record on this subject has always been outstanding, but Kelly wouldn’t give me the time of day. She was very nice, very elegant, but I didn’t have a chance with her, and that was that.

When I later found out she was married to John, I liked and respected her even more. Some people have values that matter to them, and she is one of them. Her loyalty was unwavering and I have always remembered that about her.

Being true to someone is very close to being true to yourself. That’s a valuable attribute in today’s world. I’m sure she was a wonderful mother to Jett and my thoughts are with her and her family after their terrible loss.

Donald J. Trump is Chairman of Trump University.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I didn't think something he could say would disgust me more.

But of course I am wrong.

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    We got a better namesake for "traitor" than Benedict Arnold with Quisling anyway.

Letterman: "YOU QUISLING!"
    Norm: "Haha! Oh man... I don't know what quisling means...."

https://youtu.be/tudRETrphxk?t=2m55s

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I just read an open letter that Trump wrote to John Travolta and Kelly Preston after their son died. It's being passed around the press, apparently, but I encountered it on Cracked.com of all places. It's just the most Trumpian thing imaginable, made so very much worse by the fact that it's a condolence letter about a dead kid. I'll drop the wayback machine link to it in the spoiler along with the text. But I'm definitely spoilering this, because it's just gross.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100217210521/http:/www.trumpuniversity.com/blog/post/2009/01/loyalty-and-kelly-preston.cfm
    I have always respected people who were loyal and faithful--which brings to mind Kelly Preston. A long time ago, before I was married, I met Kelly Preston at a club and worked like hell to try and pick her up. She was beautiful, personable, and definitely had allure. At the time I had no idea she was married to John Travolta.

In any event, my track record on this subject has always been outstanding, but Kelly wouldn’t give me the time of day. She was very nice, very elegant, but I didn’t have a chance with her, and that was that.

When I later found out she was married to John, I liked and respected her even more. Some people have values that matter to them, and she is one of them. Her loyalty was unwavering and I have always remembered that about her.

Being true to someone is very close to being true to yourself. That’s a valuable attribute in today’s world. I’m sure she was a wonderful mother to Jett and my thoughts are with her and her family after their terrible loss.

P.S. Sorry about your dead kid.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was destroyed Wednesday morning by a man purporting to be a construction worker. Trump's name and the TV logo once emblazoned on the star are no longer visible.

OMG they TRASHED it!

That's really fucking not okay. Damnatio memorae is not something we should be doing.

I don't disagree with you that this dude probably should not have done this, but I disagree that it is not something we should do in principle.

Sometimes there are people in history who create terribleness, and while it is important to remember those people, it is not important to honor them. If you view destroying Trump's star as in the same category as pulling down statues of Stalin (that's a bit hyperbole, but insert whichever analogy you like), then it's not such a terrible thing.

Refusing to bestow honor upon tyrants is not necessarily equal to erasing history.

The only person in American history who earned historical erasure is Benedict Arnold. So unless you have a case that Donald Trump is a traitor, then yes, this went too far.

This is a joke right?

Benedict Arnold is like a guy who tried to turn over a fort during the American Revolution over being continually snubbed by the chain of command. Trump has done this life 100x worse this election alone.

Also, the fact that we are talking about Benedict Arnold proves that historical erasure did not actually take place.

So.

You know.

His name is quite literally synonymous with being a traitor. He's one of the most remembered people of all time.

Maybe in your house. In mine we call traitors loghains. JUSTICE FOR MERRICK NEVAR FORGET!

*pushes up glasses* Do you mean King Maric? Maric didn't get betrayed by Loghain. Cailin did. And Cailin had it coming! Down with hereditary monarchies!

Loghain would have you believe that Ostagar happened because of a video, but we know it really happened because of radical darkspawn extremists. Loghain won't even dare call them that, how can he hope to defeat them?

Of course, we'll never know the truth, because Loghain ran his own private carrier pigeon service, and murdered 33000 pigeons. Bleached them with acid wash!

#Ostagar #Lockhimup

I'm kinda reveling in the fact I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

TLDR: Kelly is hot, so I tried to have sex with her and she ignored me which would normally make me mad but then I learned she was married so I respect her for that. Also sorry your child is dead.

blaaghggrlhghglhgl

ObiFett on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Jaaaaaaaaaaaames Cameron...

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Variable wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    On the Republicans and their future - Electing Hillary Isn’t Enough, Jon Favreau for the Ringer:
    For eight years, nearly every decision made by Republican lawmakers has been motivated by a paralyzing fear of a base whose news diet has become completely detached from reality. The right-wing media didn’t make an argument that the Affordable Care Act contained too many regulations, they said it contained grandparent-murdering death panels. They didn’t argue that climate change legislation was too costly for businesses, they said that climate change was a hoax. The debate about immigration reform devolved into talk of hordes of brown criminals pouring over the border. The push for background checks was reduced to warnings that Barack Obama planned to confiscate the guns of all law-abiding Americans.

Former speaker John Boehner wanted to pursue a “grand bargain” with the president on taxes and spending. But his base wanted to him to shut down the government and threaten to default on our debt — the one move that may have been more reckless than endorsing Trump. Boehner chose the base. In return, the base pushed him out of his job a few years later. ...

A Hillary Clinton victory will save us from the existential threat of a Donald Trump presidency. But let’s not kid ourselves: There is almost no evidence to suggest that four more years of a Republican Congress will result in any kind of productivity, no matter how hard Hillary tries to reach across the aisle, or how much Republican leaders want to work with her. Radicals rule the GOP, and an embarrassing Trump defeat will only embolden them to push for more shutdowns, more default threats, more repeal votes, more obstruction, more investigations, and probably impeachment. The sane Republicans who oppose these tactics will be threatened with primary challengers in 2018 (a year when the map heavily favors the GOP anyway) — and if the past is any guide, most of them will simply give in.

And this kind of thing combined, with Cruz and the like signalling they will oppose Hillary's SCOTUS picks before she even makes them, have me laughing about opposition being good for our country.

yup, and if a single person said that this type of opposition was good you'd have a point

Having 2 sides have a discussion with each-other to hammer out the best solution to move the country forward for everyone is a great example of where opposition is good and to be honest that is what we should have.

However we don't have that. What we have now is one side sticking it's fingers in their ears and saying "you're wrong and I hate your stupid face and the stupid faces and lives of your friends" then go back to their base and say "see they are so unreasonable"

I'm talking about the way the GOP has devolved into crazy town if it's not clear.

Artoria on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

OMG they TRASHED it!

This is a joke right?

So.

You know.

#LoghainDidNothingWrong

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

Holy shit. A letter about grieving parents that spends more wordspace on a story about how he tried to pick the mom up. Wow. Wow.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

OMG they TRASHED it!

This is a joke right?

So.

You know.

#Ostagar #Lockhimup

Barkspawn or Bust!

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Dumb nerds.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

It's become increasingly clear Trump has no empathy whatsoever. What kind of bubble do you have to live to where you think that is an appropriate condolence letter? He would be better off having written nothing whatsoever. Does he care about anyone? Has he ever cared about anyone other than himself?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

OMG they TRASHED it!

This is a joke right?

So.

You know.

#LoghainDidNothingWrong

Something I love about that series is the continued debate about Loghain and Ostrigar over the course of all three games. People say he was a power hungry madman, or a genius tactician sparing his forces, and a lot of other things. The ambiguity is great.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    +1 for Clinton in Nebraska District 2!

rhp542073ct9.jpg

Surprisingly busy at the election commission. I overheard an employee tell another person that it has been busy since they started early voting.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

It's become increasingly clear Trump has no empathy whatsoever. What kind of bubble do you have to live to where you think that is an appropriate condolence letter? He would be better off having written nothing whatsoever. Does he care about anyone? Has he ever cared about anyone other than himself?

I'm confused by the existence of the letter. Who is like "I should right a condolence letter to these people I[apparently] have no real relationship with" but then writes a letter like that. It's like he knows people write letters like this, but has no idea of the social norms of such a letter so he just default to talking about the one thing he always talks about....OMG I figured it out. Trump has....Graspbergers.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

The turd cap on the shit Sunday is that he signed it "Chairman of Trump University."

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

The only question remaining for me is how much of it is nature vs. nurture.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

OMG they TRASHED it!

This is a joke right?

So.

You know.

#LoghainDidNothing

Then he proceeded to install his daughter on the throne in spite of zero line of secession, tried to have the only known living heir put to death, sided with horrible people who basically imprisoned people in their own homes or just took them for slaves, definitely tried to have one of Meric's relatives murdered and managed to terrorise an entire village whilst doing it, and did it all with little to no support from the Landsmeet without ever once actually elucidating his misgivings or providing any evidence he supposedly had for making his choice.

And in spite of all he did wrong, he still got of lightly for his crimes. Loghain was worse than a traitor; he was a coward.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

Jaaaaaaaaaaaames Cameron...

Explorer of the sea!
    With a dying thirst to be the first
    Could it be? (yeah that's him) James Cam-er-on!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing this week is getting mailers from candidates I've already voted against.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    My favorite thing this week is getting mailers from candidates I've already voted against.

Hey thanks for the kindling.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular

I lost my son last year, so reading this puts me in a chaotic mental space that defies description. It would be inadequate to say that I'm triggered, or angry, or head-on-fire furious, and I cannot think of a proper word that combines my current outrage with an absolutely towering level of disbelief.

Every time I think he couldn't possibly sink any lower as a human being, HE FUCKING FINDS A WAY TO KEEP DIGGING DEEPER.

I will not be sharing this letter with my wife. Hell hath no fury like a mother who has lost a child. I imagine our collective reaction will not be dissimilar to that of Mr. and Mrs. Khan.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

I'm confused by the existence of the letter. Who is like "I should right a condolence letter to these people I[apparently] have no real relationship with" but then writes a letter like that. It's like he knows people write letters like this, but has no idea of the social norms of such a letter so he just default to talking about the one thing he always talks about....OMG I figured it out. Trump has....Graspbergers.
    It's not literally a letter, it's a blog post written by Trump.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Messaged my sister to remind her to vote, only to find out she never registered.
    It boggles my mind.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    +1 for Clinton in Nebraska District 2!

rhp542073ct9.jpg

Surprisingly busy at the election commission. I overheard an employee tell another person that it has been busy since they started early voting.

For 2.3 seconds I thought we lived within spitting distance of each other. Then I realized that probably half the states in the country have a Douglas county.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Let me tell you, being a teetotaller has made this morning's pages and pages of posts really exciting.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Let me tell you, being a teetotaller has made this morning's pages and pages of posts really exciting.

Dude, if this election hasn't driven you to drinking, then you sir have just failed the Turing test.

• Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    The walk of fame star vandalism sounds a lot like bullying by Clinton supporters, considering that the star has been targeted four times since January. Considering that Trump's supporters have been attacked by Clinton's supporters multiple times, I'd be afraid of publicly stating support for Trump, in fear of getting bullied.

• Options
    Frostwood wrote: »
    The walk of fame star vandalism sounds a lot like bullying by Clinton supporters, considering that the star has been targeted four times since January. Considering that Trump's supporters have been attacked by Clinton's supporters multiple times, I'd be afraid of publicly stating support for Trump, in fear of getting bullied.

So we're saying that the star is sapient life now? That is has feelings, and those feelings have been hurt?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Frostwood wrote: »

So we're saying that the star is sapient life now? That is has feelings, and those feelings have been hurt?

Didn't you play Mario RPG? Star Lives Matter.

Honestly Trump supporters are being bullied, they are speaking their racist hateful minds and people are pointing out their view points aren't wanted in a modern world.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Did... did he think the wife had died instead?

And his condolence was about how he tried to "pick her up"?

How is this man in the position he is and not rambling on a street corner?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Did... did he think the wife had died instead?

And his condolence was about how he tried to "pick her up"?

How is this man in the position he is and not rambling on a street corner?

Money.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    "Dear voter. I am not an extremist. The SPLC put me on a list without doing their research."
    ...the incumbent county commissioner I already voted against

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.