As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash]: New New Season

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    As dumb as Barry is, Thinker is basically a telekinetic, not a super-genius.

You don't really need super genius on the resume to out think Barry (at least CW Barry).

You don't need a thing to take out CW Barry except for it being about 10 minutes into the episode and the plot says it's time for him to be taken out for a bit.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    edit: We did get a mention of The Thinker in the current episode though, so maybe they'll be the main villain next season before being supplanted by another speedster.

If Barry is going to have to out think someone next season, I think they might all be boned.

He got schooled by Captain Cold in season one.
    Barry Allen: You gave me your word!

Leonard Snart: [laughs] It's true I did, but here's the thing: I'm a criminal and a liar and I hurt people and I rob them. What did you expect me to do? Not be what I am? I saw an opportunity to turn things to my advantage and I did. Who you're really mad at is yourself. This is on you, Barry.

I really hate that they ruined Snart

As a whole or in that particular instance.

I really like the CW portrayal of Snart, because in many instances he is his own worse enemy. His eventual respect of Barry that leads to Snart making "the code" for the rogues pretty much alludes to the fact that in another time or another life he would have been a hero.

And in legends it pretty much shows that given the right support and opportunity, he can be!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I was a fan of Season one Snart. Legends really hurt the character for me.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

That's a delightful super move.
    Dragging a dude through time to body slam him into a dinosaur.
    Brilliant.
    Hopefully, there were no butterflies in the way.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I am curious about something in season 2, I will put it into spoilers just in case.
    During season 2 Jay tells Barry to create a speed mirage when he is fighting Dr.Light. After that Zoom sweeps the floor with Barry speed wise and breaks him. Later on in the season when they question Zoom about killing the speed remnant and ask if it was a speed mirage he says he is not fast enough to make one. But if Reverse Flash is fast enough to make one and Barry is fast enough to make one then that should mean Barry is faster than Zoom and kind of makes the whole season dumb, right? I don't know if I missed something but that is basically how it plays out to me.

And why is Barry getting dumb? I recently rewatched season 1 of the Flash and season 1 and 2 of the Arrow and Barry seemed brilliant in the beginning of the Flash and the episode of season 2 of the Arrow that he appeared in.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I am curious about something in season 2, I will put it into spoilers just in case.
    During season 2 Jay tells Barry to create a speed mirage when he is fighting Dr.Light. After that Zoom sweeps the floor with Barry speed wise and breaks him. Later on in the season when they question Zoom about killing the speed remnant and ask if it was a speed mirage he says he is not fast enough to make one. But if Reverse Flash is fast enough to make one and Barry is fast enough to make one then that should mean Barry is faster than Zoom and kind of makes the whole season dumb, right? I don't know if I missed something but that is basically how it plays out to me.

And why is Barry getting dumb? I recently rewatched season 1 of the Flash and season 1 and 2 of the Arrow and Barry seemed brilliant in the beginning of the Flash and the episode of season 2 of the Arrow that he appeared in.
    If I had to neckbeard my way out of an apparent plot hole...
    Speed mirages (and the other speedster powers) aren't just a function of how fast a speedster can go, but how strong their connection to the speed force is.
    Barry is hugely connected to the speed force to the point where he's had one on one conversations with this elemental force. So Barry can do those speedster things at a substantially lower speed than other speedsters.
    Zoom is substantially less connected to the speed force, so for him to replicate those effects, he has to be going substantially faster than Barry would.
    But that's just a guess.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

If I had to neckbeard my way out of an apparent plot hole...
    Speed mirages (and the other speedster powers) aren't just a function of how fast a speedster can go, but how strong their connection to the speed force is.
    Barry is hugely connected to the speed force to the point where he's had one on one conversations with this elemental force. So Barry can do those speedster things at a substantially lower speed than other speedsters.
    Zoom is substantially less connected to the speed force, so for him to replicate those effects, he has to be going substantially faster than Barry would.
    But that's just a guess.

Also there was another detail:
    Jay was on Earth 1 and Zoom was on Earth 2. So the "not fast enough" thing was "not fast enough to create speed mirages in another dimension"

at least, I think that's what we all figured was meant last year

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Brilliant.

Barry would have to stop being the slowest moron ever to pull that off.

Never happen.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Brilliant.

Never happen.

I don't know, considering how well his previous time travel shenanigans have been planned and executed, it seems like something he might do.
    "Barry! Don't travel through time!
    "Imma doit!
    "No don't do it!
    "Imma drag a badguy with me, then throw him at a dinosaur!
    "Damnit. *watches as time collapses*

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Brilliant.

Never happen.

I don't know, considering how well his previous time travel shenanigans have been planned and executed, it seems like something he might do.
    "Barry! Don't travel through time!
    "Imma doit!
    "No don't do it!
    "Imma drag a badguy with me, then throw him at a dinosaur!
    "Damnit. *watches as time collapses*

Legends of Tomorrow spoiler:

"Guys, I think we...errr...the Flash, broke time."

s4dly5lzynnmlzwfb1mc.png

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Everything the Flash does, Legends does better. At least this season.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Everything the Flash does, Legends does better. At least this season.

In a shocking reversal, after such a shit season 1. I agree - Legends season 2 was awesome!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Do they only have like one and a half shows worth of good writing per a year or something?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Do they only have like one and a half shows worth of good writing per a year or something?

Flash S1 was lightning in the bottle, I don't know exactly what happened by after that the new shows picked up and while they never reached Flash S1's peak they have maintained a high level quality Flash's later seasons lacked. Supergirl seems to have kept up the momentum the following season, which is cool.

• Options
    I think there's been a slight dip in quality with Supergirl's second season, but that I think can be attributed solely to the fact that they swapped networks and therefore had a lower budget and all the stuff that entails. They've done well otherwise.

sig.gif
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think there's been a slight dip in quality with Supergirl's second season, but that I think can be attributed solely to the fact that they swapped networks and therefore had a lower budget and all the stuff that entails. They've done well otherwise.

Losing Calista Flockhart didn't help.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Flash S1 was lightning in the bottle, I don't know exactly what happened by after that the new shows picked up and while they never reached Flash S1's peak they have maintained a high level quality Flash's later seasons lacked. Supergirl seems to have kept up the momentum the following season, which is cool.

I'm a minority that thinks that Flash S1 wasn't the best. I thought that there were significant problems that only got worse as the show went on. I think the credit lies in the novelty, as they found a way to do actual honest-to-Kirby comic book super powers on a TV show budget, even though some of them were quite sketchy (the first Grodd episode was shot well, but the seams were obvious). There have always been idiot plots instead of thoughtful treatments of the powers, and the show always treated female characters poorly; Iris constantly damseled, and they gave less and less for Caitlin to do. That only got worse in S2 as we got a glimpse of Patty, who I would have honestly followed to her own show.

Supergirl, though, has lived up to its promise thusfar. Sometimes there are dumb plots, but the writing tends to be superior even then, with characters becoming inconsistent for plot purposes being a lot more rare. I actually like that there's been no real season-long big bad in S2. Feels super comic booky. It is objectively the best of the DC Arrowverse.

Arrow has always been the most grounded and is probably the show that I have the most affection for, even though I admit that it's been pretty inconsistent. Street level vigilantes can get away with a Buffy-style "...and then they fight" without nitpicking about powers, and it serves the show well. You simply can't do that on The Flash because the nature of Barry's power makes it so that every fight should be one-sided, and you have to think up more and more creative ways to challenge him.

Legends of Tomorrow got so much better when they stopped worshipping the time travel pathos and decided to Doctor Who that shit up. The Flash still tries to be about Serious Things and as such can't seem to have fun with itself much anymore. If you asked me how to fix The Flash, I'd tell you to pull a LoT: put the female lead in actual charge of the other characters and give them a rotating cast of unkillable wisecracking villains to fight. That's right, I said it. I don't care how, but make Iris the boss of STAR Labs and reveal that she's the one person that can wrangle all these metahuman geniuses (and HR) without them going off and breaking the universe again.

• Options
    They'd have to forge some kind of relationship between Iris and Caitlin though, and I don't even know if they talk to one another.

Otherwise sounds good since as a reporter, I don't think Iris has done anything of import.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Woah, Iris has done lots of important things! She's died in Season 1, she almost died in Season 2, she's destined to die in Season 3...

...oh.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They'd have to forge some kind of relationship between Iris and Caitlin though, and I don't even know if they talk to one another.

Otherwise sounds good since as a reporter, I don't think Iris has done anything of import.

And she won't report anything important in the future now thanks to Barry.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So we're all in agreement they should dump her dead weight from the show and replace her with Patty.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Patty is optimal

sig.gif
  • Options
    I think if they actually wrote her well, Iris would be a valuable member of the team.

Much like OG Laurel on every TV show appearance that isn't Arrow.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Patty or Supergirl, I'm not picky.

• Options
    A thing that bothers me about going to the future is that Legends of Tomorrow already showed what happens when you go to your future.

Legends of Tomorrow spoilers:
    If you go to the future, it's a future where you are not there in the timeline because you haven't returned yet. They go to 2046 and it shows the timeline where they aren't in that timeline as they are traveling to the future. Otherwise the Legends could go to the future, see how they defeated *sigh* Savage, and then return and do it. But Flash is just ignoring all of that because they want this stupid drama and emo Flash. And yes, I know, SPEEDFORCE!

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    A thing that bothers me about going to the future is that Legends of Tomorrow already showed what happens when you go to your future.

If you go to the future, it's a future where you are not there in the timeline because you haven't returned yet. They go to 2046 and it shows the timeline where they aren't in that timeline as they are traveling to the future. Otherwise the Legends could go to the future, see how they defeated *sigh* Savage, and then return and do it. But Flash is just ignoring all of that because they want this stupid drama and emo Flash. And yes, I know, SPEEDFORCE!
    Legends have different time travel rules, since they go there by time travel in a spaceship, rather than Speed Force.

• Options

Legends have different time travel rules, since they go there by time travel in a spaceship, rather than Speed Force.

You could also argue that
    It also has different rules in regards with your intent. Legends went to the future with no real intent to return, they had a mission that was revealed to be more of a suicide mission. They were told they were expendable and would not impact the time line. Barry intends to return to the present, so his future would be unaffected.

• Options
    Synopsis of the final two episodes:
    PRE-FINALE: Barry travels to 2024 to find out Savitar’s identity, where he encounters future versions of himself as well as his Team Flash friends. Upon returning to the present, Barry & Co. meet a scientist (House’s Anne Dudek) who may be the key to stopping Savitar, but they must — literally, and with great difficulty — fight to keep Killer Frost from getting to her first. Afterward, Caitlin’s icy alter ego makes an interesting proposal.

SEASON FINALE (MAY 23): After discovering Savitar’s true identity, Team Flash prepares for a final, epic battle with the God of Speed… while struggling with a major setback. Expect a season-ending cliffhanger that will leave viewers — and the heroes — questioning how they will move forward in Season 4.

After season one I was excited to see what was going to happen with the breach that was in the finale and was disappointed. After season two I was excited to see what was going to happen with Flashpoint and was disappointed. After season 3 I will be excited to see what is going to happen with <insert event here> and will be disappointed.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    This show is trying really hard to burn up any good will I had towards it.

And Savitar
    Is probably Ronnie?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    This show is trying really hard to burn up any good will I had towards it.

And Savitar
    Is probably Ronnie?

Aww I think that's a good one. Hmm.

• Options
    This episode frustrated me to no end.
    You don't find out about Savitar's identity as they are wanting to reveal it later. Cisco is just dumb at not wanting Flash to go back in time to erase this timeline by stopping Savitar. Emo Flash is stupid at not telling Flash how he defeated Savitar right away or better yet just go back in time and stop Savitar using said information to save Iris. Emo Flash wouldn't care about the ramifications so why wouldn't he go back in time and stop Savitar before killing Iris. Flash is so dumb on trying to stop Top/Mirror Master when he could just super speed up and knock them both out before they knew he was there.

4 more episodes to go.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, it seemed odd that (latest episode)
    Barry is gonna spend time and risk himself to help people in this timeline, right before traveling back in time to try and make sure this timeline doesn't come to pass.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Barry is gonna spend time and risk himself to help people in this timeline, right before traveling back in time to try and make sure this timeline doesn't come to pass.
    if - nothing we do matters, - then all that matters is what we do. 'cause that's all there is.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    This episode frustrated me to no end.
    You don't find out about Savitar's identity as they are wanting to reveal it later. Cisco is just dumb at not wanting Flash to go back in time to erase this timeline by stopping Savitar. Emo Flash is stupid at not telling Flash how he defeated Savitar right away or better yet just go back in time and stop Savitar using said information to save Iris. Emo Flash wouldn't care about the ramifications so why wouldn't he go back in time and stop Savitar before killing Iris. Flash is so dumb on trying to stop Top/Mirror Master when he could just super speed up and knock them both out before they knew he was there.

4 more episodes to go.

Why didnt they just make another "trap" to give him instead of just the name of the person who built it?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Thanks to Speedforce, there's a 70% chance that this timeline will stick around even if they stop Savitar and save Iris.
    Given that Eobard has managed to survive never being born because of Speedforce, it wouldn't even be close to the most ridiculous thing they do with time on this show.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm shocked.

Shocked!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Tonight:
    I feel like we know the solution to this problem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdVId6NCm0

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Right now, Tom Cavanagh is the only reason I'm still enjoying about this show. He's great.

Didn't see the twist coming, but at this point, it's basically just an eye roll.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Right now, Tom Cavanagh is the only reason I'm still enjoying about this show. He's great.

Didn't see the twist coming, but at this point, it's basically just an eye roll.

But... but...
    He said it every fucking time they asked who he was.

Everyone: "Who are you?"
    Savitar: "I am the future Flash."
    Everyone: "DAMN YOUR MIND GAMES!"

ztrEPtD.gif