As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash]: New New Season

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was hoping S2 was a fluke... but Flash has consistently been the show I'm least looking forward to every week this season.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Right now, the only thing that can save the Flash is Supergirl.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh right, that's next week. That should be good hopefully.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I really enjoy this show when it's ridiculous. The plot holes are egregious, but I overlook them when they are not being over-serious about everything. Grodd was fun precisely because it was dumb. Music Meister will be fantastic.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    One of the problems is that the first two seasons feature the plot of, "Barry is training himself to be faster in order to defeat the enemy... but it turns out that this is exactly what the enemy wants!"

Where as for this season, it's the exact same thing, only it's Wally. And instead of simply letting the hero come to the conclusion that they need to be faster on it's own, it's the really dumb "I gave you super speed, but it's not like you'll ever be fast enough to open up the speed for and toss that last chunk of rock into it which will surely defeat me, I swear! In fact, the only reason I'm telling you about this weakness is because of how confident I am that you'll never be able to exploit it."

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    One of the problems is that the first two seasons feature the plot of, "Barry is training himself to be faster in order to defeat the enemy... but it turns out that this is exactly what the enemy wants!"

Where as for this season, it's the exact same thing, only it's Wally. And instead of simply letting the hero come to the conclusion that they need to be faster on it's own, it's the really dumb "I gave you super speed, but it's not like you'll ever be fast enough to open up the speed for and toss that last chunk of rock into it which will surely defeat me, I swear! In fact, the only reason I'm telling you about this weakness is because of how confident I am that you'll never be able to exploit it."

Wally has serious loss issues that are easy to manipulate. Its obvious to us not the greif stricken kid whos afraid he'll lose more family.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Well there's this:
    “Next season we’re not going to have a speedster ,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said at PaleyFest on Saturday, where the casts of Arrow, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, and The Flash gathered to spill scoop on their respective series.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Well there's this:
    “Next season we’re not going to have a speedster ,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said at PaleyFest on Saturday, where the casts of Arrow, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, and The Flash gathered to spill scoop on their respective series.
    Well, that just says "a speedster". That doesn't rule out having multiple evil speedsters.
    Just saying.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I want to believe that this episode was worth the Barry/Iris plot this season...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm kinda behind on Supergirl, do i need to catch up on that for this crossover?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    kara likes bayonetta 2

i knew it

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm kinda behind on Supergirl, do i need to catch up on that for this crossover?

Nah theyre mostly self contained. Theres always a throwaway line about the status quo but thats it

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Not a bad episode, though for a musical episode I was hoping for more original music.

Also Darren Criss's Twitter is a treasure trove of behind the scenes fun.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    So...

I'm guessing imp?

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Cutters sons name is Tommy, I squealed in delight

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Having expectations for something like "Once More, With Feeling" or "Mayhem of the Music meister" or even "Welcome to Sacred heart".

Major disappointment. Least fun musical episode in...how long?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I thought it was delightful but the reliance on old songs was a little bit of a bummer. I was hoping for more original stuff. But jeez that is a talented voice cast. And how the ended it, we could always get another one. And the "Superfriends" song was delightful!

Loved how the Music Meister
    turned out to be a good guy in the end. I'm not caught up on Supergirl, but some sort of crazy alt universe trickster thing?

Cisco yelling
    HOW DID YOU GET OUT OF THAT CELL?!
    was fantastic.

• Options
    I thought it was delightful but the reliance on old songs was a little bit of a bummer. I was hoping for more original stuff. But jeez that is a talented voice cast. And how the ended it, we could always get another one. And the "Superfriends" song was delightful!

turned out to be a good guy in the end. I'm not caught up on Supergirl, but some sort of crazy alt universe trickster thing?

Cisco yelling
    was fantastic.

I'm guessing this Music Meister
    Is a fifth dimension imp like Mr. Mxyzptlk. He showed up in Supergirl for an episode trying to convince her to marry him.

Though, if that's the case, I'd think Super Girl would have asked if he was any relation or otherwise hinted at the possible connection.

Here's hoping he comes back. The world could use more super hero musicals.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I want to see him interact with Oliver and Oliver just having none of his shit.

...or Oliver has super great death metal growl.

• Options
    Bolthorn wrote: »

Musical Legends episode where they travel through time and sing in the best clubs of the time period, but accidentally sing anachronistic music, accidentally inspiring the music they just sang. Yeah, let's BttF more than one musical genre here.

No, I don't know what maguffin would require that, but why not?

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    So this musical thing was pretty fun huh

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Shit this is the flash thread.

I too wish to see more musicals. They HAVE SO MUCH GOOD VOICE TALENT

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Cisco yelling
    was fantastic.

Is a fifth dimension imp like Mr. Mxyzptlk. He showed up in Supergirl for an episode trying to convince her to marry him.

Though, if that's the case, I'd think Super Girl would have asked if he was any relation or otherwise hinted at the possible connection.

She did reference it.
    She mentioned Mitzy obliquely with her reference to "super creeps" or something.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The plot of this episode was super lame, but the music was great. I didn't mind showtunes instead of original numbers, I just wanted more of it and less dialogue (which was not all that compelling anyway). More Victor Garber + Jesse Martin + John Barrowman ensemble pieces!

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Victor Garber + Jesse Martin
    "...Dads?"

(simultaneously) "You got a problem with that?"

• Options
    I will say that the fact that the power of love saved the day was a little lame. But oh well.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    No, it was the power of Barry being too slow once again.

Supergirl was caught off guard, but Barry...

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

"Darkness! No parents!"
    They could totally re-purpose that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    klemming wrote: »

"Darkness! No parents!"

Just because Oliver/Batman come from a place of darkness doesn't mean their voice has to be!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5bEeeKsxOQ

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I thought the episode was 7.5/10. Wasn't the greatest ever, but it worked.

I do think the writers and producers tried their hardest NOT to make it a Superhero-themed episode of Glee. Besides, Music Meister is still alive, so they can expand on the idea for next season.
    My thinking was that MM was was more of a breacher from beyond the 4th wall (our reality) and not a 5th dimensional Imp. All the references to the characters not acting properly, MM knowing everyone's secret identity and history, makes me think it was more along those lines

• Options

Cisco yelling
    was fantastic.

She did reference it.
    She mentioned Mitzy obliquely with her reference to "super creeps" or something.

Ah, okay. I assumed that was a reference to fighting super powered people in general, but I could see it being a reference to Mitzy in particular.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

"Darkness! No parents!"

Just because Oliver/Batman come from a place of darkness doesn't mean their voice has to be!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5bEeeKsxOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5gZW1mdxMQ

• Options

Cisco yelling
    was fantastic.

She did reference it.

Ah, okay. I assumed that was a reference to fighting super powered people in general, but I could see it being a reference to Mitzy in particular.

The specific power level of MM and trollishness/creeperness of Mitzy are what sold me on the reference.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular

Musical Legends episode where they travel through time and sing in the best clubs of the time period, but accidentally sing anachronistic music, accidentally inspiring the music they just sang. Yeah, let's BttF more than one musical genre here.

No, I don't know what maguffin would require that, but why not?

I think I would love this, and I'm a monster who usually hates musicals. Make the maguffin them fixing the timeline because someone who hates music is going back and preventing the first performances of some of music's great artists. Like the PMRC on time traveling super-meth. Maybe then just have the legends be backup players/singers or something so that the original artist still gets historical credit. They stop the villain in each time period, and then one of the legends gets to perform with some of their favorite musical icons. Sounds like a good stand alone episode.

The Flash episode was fun. Loved the "Dads" bit. The Superfriends song was adorable. Was totally okay with love saving the day. Glad MM wasn't a "bad" guy. Still think the timing of this episode is weird after what happened last week on The Flash.

So, Supergirl possible spoilery question
    So does this mean on Supergirl next week things between her and Mon-el will be all patched up? Because for people that don't want both shows that might be annoying that their breakup and subsequent reconciliation was handled on another show.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I imagine there will be a 'Previously on Supergirl and The Flash' that will run through it, and then they will spout exposition about it briefly before the episode properly starts.

I was a bit disappointed in the episode, maybe because I knew how much talent was in the cast of the various shows. 'Once More With Feeling' is in my top three Buffy episodes and does such a good job of having the songs move the plot forward, where this felt like the songs were there because they had to be but didn't have such an effect on things.

Glad Jeremy Jordan got a chance to sing though, and I'm sure John Barrowman pretty much just demanded to be involved even though he's barely been on Flash from memory (no complaints from me).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Little sad they couldn't get Andy Mientus to guest, though it's not like they didn't have enough guest stars.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    In hindsight, I can see why they didn't go with NPH for this.

Outside of Doogie Howser, I can't remember the last time I've seen him when he was trying to be sincere.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Musical episode was great, except...

It reminded me too much of how dour and serious Flash has gotten that this was just really out of place. It needs a generally more fun and goofy Flash (character AND tv show) to work. Also for some reason I can't get it out of my head that this could have entirely been a Laurel/Barry episode if she was alive and this was... a year ago or so?

sig.gif
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I will say that the fact that the power of love saved the day was a little lame. But oh well.

Psh. It was a musical. Love is the only thing that can save the day.

I enjoyed the hell out of this. Thinnest premise in the world, music a little overproduced (Gustin's got the pipes, no reason to clean it up that much), only one original song, but I'm just so happy to see The Flash having fun again.

And Superfriends was exactly the kind of stupid delight that I wanted.

• Options

And Superfriends was exactly the kind of stupid delight that I wanted.

It was a fun song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmb_emGkPBs

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA