As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] THE NATURE OF MONKEY WAS IRREPRESSIBLE

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

This is what always bugged me about WoW rogues. Like, that outfit is never going to disappear into the shadows without some powerful magic (which Rogues aren't generally portrayed as using), and it certainly isn't inconspicuous either. Or, like, this SI:7 agent from Hearthstone?

xxz15i3d8jeg.jpg

Yeah, master spy right there. No one would be suspicious of that guy. I dunno, I just kind of wish that 'subtlety' and 'assassin' rogues had gear that might, y'know, be subtle, or at least unlikely to be seen by guards (there's some old-school low key ninja suits that seem way better for a rogue than almost any tier set). Of course Outlaws are a whole different story, but ironically very little of their gear rocks a swashbuckler or pirate look despite that being the major influence for their theming.

Rogues are portrayed as slightly mystical in WoW. Nameless mooks are just bandits and pirates, PC and named NPC rogues do things like manipulate shadows, vanish in broad daylight, disrupt magic, teleport around, brew supernaturally effective poisons, and basically do the kinds of things the magical shadow demon interpretation of ninja do and their costuming follows suit. Yeah, it's silly but so is a warrior wearing plate armor with axe blades attached to it and not being able to use special attacks if they're not angry enough yet.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    who cares if i'm wearing hot pink, i'm crouching, so i'm invisible

unless the other guy has a blue circle over their head.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I get what you're saying @Steel Angel, but it just always irked me. I dunno, I guess my "class fantasy" just doesn't fit with the designers'. I'm sure it has nothing to do with one being easier to implement into the overall gamedesign or requiring less art assets (since all specs wear the same stuff). :P

I stand by my assertion that the SI:7 Agent card's artwork was a ridiculous choice, though. I mean, it'd should've been a plain-clothes merchant-looking person shivving someone in the back or something like that.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah wow rogues straight up utilize shadow magic

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's been a long time since I looked at their skills/talents in all honesty. Cloak of Shadows and Shadowstep were the only really magical abilities I was aware of the last time I was paying much attention to how the class is played, and I'd thought they (along with how stealth works in general) were meant to be abstractions of a rogue's general slipperyness, not "used in lore as it appears in game".

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Rogues in general dnd and such do the whole leather clad thing so si7 match well, even valeera.

The reason they don't need to be inconspicuous is that they're only seen when they allow themselves to be seen. Their light leather armor is also needed to allow for dexterity and speed, while still having some form of armor against light attacks.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Look, I'm sorry I had an unpopular opinion. I just think Valeera looks silly. I don't recall Garona running around in something like that.

I thought SI:7 were spies, like during the Missing Diplomat questchain, not "spies" like warcraft James Bond. Hell, even Bond doesn't run around in commando fatigues. Leather armor is for skirmishers, not spies. And seriously, leather for dexterity and speed? Did you know in the first X-Men movie when they're approaching the place Magneto set up his device, the actors needed multiple takes to clamber over a small obstacle because of how stiff their uniforms were? Leather bodysuits are neither flexible nor agile. There's a reason cowboys wore chaps and not leather pants.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Garona's outfit is
    0af2e6fea0a5d7b68a9bb3db774e6c246c0644ff_hq.jpg

Which is silly in its own way. Amusingly the tier set based off her gear looks way better.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    It's been a long time since I looked at their skills/talents in all honesty. Cloak of Shadows and Shadowstep were the only really magical abilities I was aware of the last time I was paying much attention to how the class is played, and I'd thought they (along with how stealth works in general) were meant to be abstractions of a rogue's general slipperyness, not "used in lore as it appears in game".

Around the same time they got CoS and Shadowstep even the more mundane Combat rogues got talents to add magical shadow damage to either their Sinister Strikes or autoattacks. It just kind of kept running from there.
    Look, I'm sorry I had an unpopular opinion. I just think Valeera looks silly. I don't recall Garona running around in something like that.

Valeera's armor is the Bloodfang set from vanilla WoW, a raid set. Of course it looks silly, warriors were going around wearing axe blades welded to their shoulders and helmets, druids were wearing moose antlers, and Thunderfury was the ideal one handed sword.
    I thought SI:7 were spies, like during the Missing Diplomat questchain, not "spies" like warcraft James Bond. Hell, even Bond doesn't run around in commando fatigues. Leather armor is for skirmishers, not spies. And seriously, leather for dexterity and speed? Did you know in the first X-Men movie when they're approaching the place Magneto set up his device, the actors needed multiple takes to clamber over a small obstacle because of how stiff their uniforms were? Leather bodysuits are neither flexible nor agile. There's a reason cowboys wore chaps and not leather pants.

SI:7 are spies the same way James Bond is as spy: Not always focused on the whole carefully blending in quietly aspect, more of the wacky gizmos and things being destroyed aspect. It's a pretty transparent reference really down to having an eccentric inventor at their old Stormwind HQ. They're not really meant to be taken too seriously.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    0af2e6fea0a5d7b68a9bb3db774e6c246c0644ff_hq.jpg

From a strictly practical standpoint, that's actually fairly sensible if most of your fighting relies on speed. Her midsection is uncovered, so she has maximum flexibility around her core, and she has armor around her heart and lungs, with coverings on her forearms to take deflected strikes. If she's got solid greaves on her shins and hip plates over flexible pants for maximum leg movement, that's fairly close to what anyone would wear if they're fighting based on speed and not getting hit.

I mean, heck, the actually bulletproof part of the body armor I wore in Iraq was smaller than her chestplate, and lot of guys just wore "plate carriers" which are just the plate and some straps holding over the center of your chest. You set up to take hits or to dodge them.

In other news, my stimpack ran out, so I'm outta here until something not-warcraft not-assassin is released. See ya'll in awhile. (Currently at 42/62 on level 10s - if anyone cares, and it's fine if you don't!)

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular

I know others have already beaten me to the image, but like

bro, Garona has pig-tails.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Holy shit.

• Options
    I mean, my first post on this page was conceding the point to Steel Angel. I just wanted to try and explain my thinking.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    sees all free heroes

immediately logs on and selects rag

yiiiissssssssss

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    sees all free heroes

immediately logs on and selects rag

yiiiissssssssss

By fiber be purged!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    I've lost 13 of my last 16 HL games and gone from a promotion match that would have taken me to Gold 3 to well on my way to Silver 2. There's only so much one player can do, and I don't understand how I could have suddenly started sucking so bad that my presence throws 80% of the games I'm in?

I'm not even angry or tilting, it's more of a sense of wonder as I watch my rank plummet helplessly.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Oh, nice! It's the Punisher Arena Brawl this week. Definitely one of the better ones - fast and chaotic fun! :)

On a side note, we got 11 brawls before getting a repeat (except that one time we got BHB, I think it was, twice in a row). That's pretty good!

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    No info today about Valeera?

BOO!!!!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I played Varian and well I suck
    but then everyone was playing Zul'Jin so I think that was my mistake

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    No info today about Valeera?

BOO!!!!

they confirmed her, all we got.

i assume we'll get an in development on tuesday with a ptr wednesday? since MLK is monday even though I don't get off :(

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SquatfurdSquatfurd 9000 feetRegistered User regular
    Everyone hates losing, but there is something about losing in this game makes me uniquely fucking angry. Does anyone else feel the same way? I'm trying to understand this.

League of Legends: DingusSquatfurd
    B.net: Squatfurd#1814
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    Perhaps the reliance on other people, and watching them do stupid stuff that could have been easily avoided?

I mean, that thinking makes it easy to put all the blame on other people and not look at your own play, but sometimes... sometimes, watching certain players is like watching a train wreck.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Team games, especially competitive team games, have very different dynamics than most other video game contexts. It can be hard to adjust to if you aren't used to it. I, for one, generally avoid multiplayer games and prefer slow-paced single-player games, so it took a while for me to figure out how to manage my expectations, reactions, and general behavior.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm about to stream some HotS with the wife. Going to try Zeratul for the first time. This should be...bad.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's been brought up, but based on both the appearance of goop on her blades, and how she plays in Hearthstone, I'm guessing Valeera will have some form of DOTs on her attacks.

• Options
    Yey, Diamond 2. Maybe I'll actually push for D1/Master this season, I still have +19 personal rank adjustment points.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Here's chu8 analyzing a Plat player on Dehaka. Lots of good insight regarding the use of globals and assessing how to maximize the Z cooldown without wasting it, among other things.

https://youtu.be/WACboFNKEIE

He's been doing more of these videos, which is nice. McIntyre also has been doing stuff like this lately. If you are looking for real-world feedback on how to play better, even if it's not related to specific heroes, these kinds of replay analyses are great, and help you to figure out how to evaluate your own play, too.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    (also I mained
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been brought up, but based on both the appearance of goop on her blades, and how she plays in Hearthstone, I'm guessing Valeera will have some form of DOTs on her attacks.

Wow rogues have always had poison involved, I'd expect she will have some poison aspect to her kit

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Again, she is assassination spec in WoW, which means poisons and bleeds.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Wow rogues have always had poison involved, I'd expect she will have some poison aspect to her kit

Looking forward to playing her as "set up" DPS and let bursters like Nova or Chromie finish em off.

• Options
    So Zeratul was kind of eh for me last night. He seems like a dive-in, combo-wormhole out or chase character. Had a lot of good kills, but a lot of deaths as well. Nova has less escapes but greater range for safer play, which caters more to my (current) playstyle.

Switched it up to Lunara after and had more success. Not knowing anything about her, it took a while to understand her thing. Apply poison, then W. Scout with E (which I always forgot about) and use Heroic abilities liberally since they have short cooldowns. Did awful my first game, but much better my second. Gonna play her some more today. Now to find a great build for her...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    "Dibby why ain't you playin dat free weekend HotS tho??? it's so fun all the heroes are unlocked!"

https://gfycat.com/UnsteadyWideArmadillo

that's why :rotate:

(Not mine, found it from a reddit thread titled "My free weekend experience so far")

Anyway though if y'alls are having fun, cool. But I just know that I'd get tilted super hard so I'm avoiding it :U

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    It was already free abathur week, so that was going to happen either way.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Of the handful of games I played last night in QM, all of my teams were fairly balanced (except one which was a 5 assassin v 5 assassin game, which was still fun) and I didn't really run into any noobs. Lots of people rolling around on piggy mounts and high-level HL reward mounts. Even if they haven't played in awhile, it really was never bad.

Use the weekend to just let loose and have fun on heroes you haven't played or need to practice - win or lose be damned.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    man it's so nice that the brawl is another goofy short death melee again. had more fun in the 3 of those i just played than the last 3 weeks of brawls.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    So Zeratul was kind of eh for me last night. He seems like a dive-in, combo-wormhole out or chase character. Had a lot of good kills, but a lot of deaths as well. Nova has less escapes but greater range for safer play, which caters more to my (current) playstyle.

Switched it up to Lunara after and had more success. Not knowing anything about her, it took a while to understand her thing. Apply poison, then W. Scout with E (which I always forgot about) and use Heroic abilities liberally since they have short cooldowns. Did awful my first game, but much better my second. Gonna play her some more today. Now to find a great build for her...

Zeratul is a high skill hero. His value lies in vision, confirming kills, and setting up fights via VP. And like with Nova, having vision on the enemy is only valuable if your team knows how to use that information.

Honestly I would recommend staying away from stealth heroes for now. Frankly, they build bad habits and are tuned for high level play, where the value of having vision is much higher. If you can't play a stealth hero as though you don't have stealth then you are using it as a crutch to get away with bad positioning.

• Options
    Zeratul's execution floor is also extremely high. I'm still useless with him after playing this game for years because you have to just practice his buttons for ages to get good with him.

Better to figure out the basics first.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Goodord TLV are tough. Finally started getting the hang of them but man I was literally non stop doing something all game to soak and push 3 lanes simultaneously.

Can be fun. Just gotta focus on their team fighting but not sure if it's worth the time since I won't play them much again.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Honestly they've shifted to a split push style after you hit ten, where you abuse Play Again to keep pressuring lanes.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Goodord TLV are tough. Finally started getting the hang of them but man I was literally non stop doing something all game to soak and push 3 lanes simultaneously.

Can be fun. Just gotta focus on their team fighting but not sure if it's worth the time since I won't play them much again.

See MMMig, this is called "Micro". It's a technique you Zerg players wouldn't understand. :P

Steam ID
    Twitch Page