As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Niantic's working on an interesting new feature -- they're using Apple's AR hardware to do a mode that puts your Pokemon in a fixed position, so you can walk closer to it. But, if you move too quickly, the Pokemon will run away.

So they are developing a way for the pokemon to instantly flee when the game thinks you moved too quickly even though you are standing still?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm sure it will will work every bit as well as their tracking!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    To be fair... If they don't use the GPS location for the AR tech then it'd be fine. But this is also Niantic so... No promises.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Sounds to me like another example of "what the hell are the developers thinking." Who is asking for AR+ features? Nobody? Who is asking for trading and PVP battles? Everyone?

But are we getting PVP and trading? No. We're getting AR+ which very likely is the least requested feature in the history of ever.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Until they put a lid on spoofers, trading has a number of potential hurdles

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This is just me talking here. Just one guy's opinion.

But who cares about spoofers? Gym decay (motivation) has made it so even if a spoofer fills a gym with all 3500+ defenders, after like 24 hours they will have depleted motivation and anyone can take the gym. So it really doesn't matter.

So let the spoofers spoof. At this point they aren't hurting anyone. The people who want to play the game legitimately can, and the people who want to cheat can.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Sounds to me like another example of "what the hell are the developers thinking." Who is asking for AR+ features? Nobody? Who is asking for trading and PVP battles? Everyone?

But are we getting PVP and trading? No. We're getting AR+ which very likely is the least requested feature in the history of ever.

It doesn't surprise me at all. It's the main reason I absolutely hate Niantic as the developer of this game. This is 100% what it is - Niantic loves AR and thinks this new tech is cool. So nevermind that other parts of the game are broken, we have to get this cool new thing in right away! Even though I think a lot of people at this point have flat out turned off the AR because it's sucky and makes it harder to catch pokemon (since they are moving all over it's difficult to toss the balls right if your hand is shaky in any way).

It's how they seem to design everything in this game - based on their own bubble. "We think this is cool and it works great for us so surely everyone else will love it" even though any research would show that is not the case. It's the same issue they had with spawns in rural areas - living in friggin' San Francisco of course they didn't know how bad it was. The game was fine - there were Pokemon everywhere! "What do you mean it's hard to find pokestops and gyms? There are five down every block, right?"

Also I still say the day they add trading is the day they fully kill their own game. Unless they put some serious restrictions, what is the motivation to play if you can get any pokemon you are missing easily? I guess if you are one of those people who actually likes raid battles, maybe... but to me the bulk of the game is the pokemon catching, which trading renders pointless.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    This is just me talking here. Just one guy's opinion.

But who cares about spoofers? Gym decay (motivation) has made it so even if a spoofer fills a gym with all 3500+ defenders, after like 24 hours they will have depleted motivation and anyone can take the gym. So it really doesn't matter.

So let the spoofers spoof. At this point they aren't hurting anyone. The people who want to play the game legitimately can, and the people who want to cheat can.

Clearly you haven't dealt with a dedicated spoofer who takes over every gym in an entire town for weeks and instantly kicks out anyone who tries to fight him.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    What's the point these days? You don't get more than 50 coins a day. Unless he's trolling just let him be.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

It doesn't surprise me at all. It's the main reason I absolutely hate Niantic as the developer of this game. This is 100% what it is - Niantic loves AR and thinks this new tech is cool. So nevermind that other parts of the game are broken, we have to get this cool new thing in right away! Even though I think a lot of people at this point have flat out turned off the AR because it's sucky and makes it harder to catch pokemon (since they are moving all over it's difficult to toss the balls right if your hand is shaky in any way).

It's how they seem to design everything in this game - based on their own bubble. "We think this is cool and it works great for us so surely everyone else will love it" even though any research would show that is not the case. It's the same issue they had with spawns in rural areas - living in friggin' San Francisco of course they didn't know how bad it was. The game was fine - there were Pokemon everywhere! "What do you mean it's hard to find pokestops and gyms? There are five down every block, right?"

Also I still say the day they add trading is the day they fully kill their own game. Unless they put some serious restrictions, what is the motivation to play if you can get any pokemon you are missing easily? I guess if you are one of those people who actually likes raid battles, maybe... but to me the bulk of the game is the pokemon catching, which trading renders pointless.

Yeah but as it stands, the only way to get all the pokemon is to have a local discord channel for raids, win the mew two lottery, and also literally fly to other continents.

Stuff I'm willing to bet most people don't have and can't do.

Games that are too easy are no fun, sure, but games that are unwinnable are even worse

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So long as they keep releasing the next gens and giving me an excuse to go outside, I'm happy.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Finally got a big change in weather here today, Windy! High level Machops everywhere!! :o

Also, I lucked out again because I did one sponsored gym raid in the two weeks since getting my Mewtwo, and ended up getting an EX-Raid pass from there. So a couple days ago, I caught my second one.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    What's the point these days? You don't get more than 50 coins a day. Unless he's trolling just let him be.

Given the mindset of spoofers, doing it "for the lulz" is an entirely real possibility. I've seen people "justify" all kinds of nonsense with that poor attempt at an excuse.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    If your town is locked down with spoofers, I'd be questioning whether someone is building lvl 40 accounts for sale out of it...

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    They are locking out Gyms that are Ex raid prone. It so they can eventually build up a collection ready for trading. Also the gym rot doesn't work for spoof accounts that are using exploits to always have a minimum CP/ HP during battles.

You can also farm out coins easily by just popping once a day, deactivating the exploit, nocking out your mon then putting it back in. Guaranteed 50 coins every day.

All this is because Niantic cannot get its act together.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    What's the point of buying a level 40 account? Besides slightly higher level Mons being found, its not like you get extra loot or find rarer Pokemon being level 40.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    They are locking out Gyms that are Ex raid prone. It so they can eventually build up a collection ready for trading. Also the gym rot doesn't work for spoof accounts that are using exploits to always have a minimum CP/ HP during battles.

You can also farm out coins easily by just popping once a day, deactivating the exploit, nocking out your mon then putting it back in. Guaranteed 50 coins every day.

All this is because Niantic cannot get its act together.

I must be really lucky and have a great local Pokemon GO community, because I never have some of the issues that some people make out to be a big deal. Like, I keep about 2-3 Pokemon in gyms at any given time, and the turn-over rate is high enough that I'm basically ensured 50 coins per day. Some days they'll get kicked out a little early, or maybe none of them will get kicked out for an entire day, but that's fairly uncommon. And when I'm running low on gyms, it's pretty easy to find either a Blue gym with empty slots, or a Red / Yellow gym at a fairly low level that is easy to flip. Our EX raids have been at reasonably accessible gyms (just, across town, so I don't go to those often).

Like, no, the game isn't perfect. But it isn't a totally broken hack-fest, either. But then, as I said, maybe I'm just lucky and have a great community that hasn't been found by hackers.

TDawg on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Maybe it's like those crazy people who buy max-level World of Warcraft accounts?

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Is there anyone who doesn't play with the camera turned off? Its so much easier.
    And an Apple only feature seems like a terrible idea, giving the finger to a solid chunk of your player base isnt good business.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I reckon I'd have a couple of goes with this AR+ idea for a laugh, then switch right back to non-AR mode. It's a pointless update for me.

I mean, it's their game. They're letting us play it for free. I've had fun catching new 'mons, so if they want to have a bit of fun with a new feature, that's fine. But make sure you keep releasing more things for me to catch...

• Options
    Christmas Event! Santa hat Pikachu is back, plus more gen-3 water and ice types. The first pokestop you spin from Dec. 22 to Dec. 25 will give you a one-use incubator. New item -- star pieces, which are like lucky eggs only for stardust.

• Options
    Oh my God enough with the Pikachu hats...

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

"Are you sure you want to send this event Pokemon to the Professor?"

• Options
    It's just so lazy. There's a TON of Pokemon that would be awesome with Santa hats on.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Snorlax with full on Santa Suit please.

• Options
    They could do more with character outfits too.

Why is there no seasonal winter wear? Or Christmas apparel?

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    They are going to give away free 1 time use incubators between the 22nd and the 25th... so 4. I seem to remember getting more last year.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    They are going to give away free 1 time use incubators between the 22nd and the 25th... so 4. I seem to remember getting more last year.

I think so too. Wasn't the event something like Christmas through New Years or something?

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

"Are you sure you want to send this event Pokemon to the Professor?"

yeeeeeeep!

• Options
    Oh right, ice-types in general will be more common through this event. So if you're not in an ice biome, time to go nuts capturing the gen 3 icers.

• Options
    Gen 3 update is great because Electrike is a reasonably common Pokemon in my area. Combined with Santa-Chu, I finally finished my Electric Badge!

Plus, the Ice Event has put me within 10 Ice Pokemon of finishing the Ice Badge! Of course, my last badges are the REAL doozies, like Dragon...but we'll get there eventually, right?
    They could do more with character outfits too.

Why is there no seasonal winter wear? Or Christmas apparel?

I'd say that this is what the coin store is for, but...even that is pretty barren. The team seems to have their hands full with actual game features, which is a good thing, I guess?

• Options
    almost got an evo of snorunt, and spheal. is meditite part of the event?

got a few delibird and I already had seel evo.

missing any?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    almost got an evo of snorunt, and spheal. is meditite part of the event?

got a few delibird and I already had seel evo.

missing any?

Go ahead and pick up an extra 100 candies for snorunt -- he gets another evolution in gen 4, and ice-types are hard to come by outside of a few lucky biomes.

I've been seeing meditite a lot too. Strangely enough torchic as well, and I'm in a grass biome.

• Options
    Yeah, I have almost 100 torchik candies despite very very rarely seeing fire types in my area

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I'm in a fire biome, and treeko has been a lot more common than torchick

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I’m in a rush still to get 125 candies for mudkipz, that lizard dude, and torchic before the event is over. I’m getting close with lizard dude, but Torchic and Mudkipz has a way to go.

• Options
    It feels to me like the new staters are on a different spread of biomes than the rest of the pokes

• Options
    Thought they increased their spawns just for the holiday event...

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I dunno, but in my grass biome I was getting Treekos but at the beach (whilst 'raining') I was getting Torchics.
    The most abundant starter spawn doesn't really seem particularly correlated to the surrounding area at least to me...

As for whether there's more of them for the event... I guess?
    I thought they'd just increased the rate of new pokes and tuned down all the previous ones that everyone had.
    Perhaps that's part of the event?

discrider on
  • Options
    ... cleaning out my storage
    I have two perfect IV nidorinas apparently.