As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Good, an event and reward I have no real interest in. I can continue to not play the game :P (seriously, what would I do with a surfing pikachu? What is the point of that in this game where the moves don't even really mean that much?)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Good, an event and reward I have no real interest in. I can continue to not play the game :P (seriously, what would I do with a surfing pikachu? What is the point of that in this game where the moves don't even really mean that much?)

Because surfing Pikachu/Raichu is a long-loved tradition in the Pokemon games.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Because surfing Pikachu/Raichu is a long-loved tradition in the Pokemon games.

Yeah but like, in the games he actually does stuff. Surf is a useful HM skill and a pretty good attack. Here, it's like, what is the point? You're not going to be using a Pikachu/Raichu for any Pokemon GO battle and he doesn't look any different from a normal Pikachu... so.....

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Caught a Whale dude today. Then I realized I need to catch 57 more Whalmer dudes to evolve him to his next form. Yay....

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Caught a Whale dude today. Then I realized I need to catch 57 more Whalmer dudes to evolve him to his next form. Yay....

Never seen him =p

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Never seen him =p

He generally only shows up in nests, or maybe when it's raining. BUT! He's also available in one-mannable raids, which is probably the easiest way to get him.

And yeah, he takes 400 candies, but at least he gets one for every 1 KM.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, someone put a Wailord on my nearest gym today and apart from the “wait, already? How!?” reaction, I also noticed that the thing is so goddamn huge it breaks the gym display. The camera has to zoom out so much that it’s outside the building, among the orbiting rings, and they clip through each other. Also the Wailord itself is also outside the nominal bounds of the building and just sort of hanging out, phased through the nominal wall.
    Way to test your art assets before roll-out Niantic…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So, someone put a Wailord on my nearest gym today and apart from the “wait, already? How!?” reaction, I also noticed that the thing is so goddamn huge it breaks the gym display. The camera has to zoom out so much that it’s outside the building, among the orbiting rings, and they clip through each other. Also the Wailord itself is also outside the nominal bounds of the building and just sort of hanging out, phased through the nominal wall.
    Way to test your art assets before roll-out Niantic…

Niantic... test things?

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    The community day sounds really fun, I can't wait! These and the raids really underscore that Pokemon GO is ultimately about trying to get people out into their communities and interacting with other people. The pocket monsters are just a front.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Have potion drops fallen markedly, or is it just me?

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    So, someone put a Wailord on my nearest gym today and apart from the “wait, already? How!?” reaction...
    If you had enough raid candy you could have had one on day 1. My wife walks a lot and has over 350 whale candy as of today just from regular catches at the nearby lake.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    So, someone put a Wailord on my nearest gym today and apart from the “wait, already? How!?” reaction...
    If you had enough raid candy you could have had one on day 1. My wife walks a lot and has over 350 whale candy as of today just from regular catches at the nearby lake.

Man, I have a Wailord and Milotic already. A pain to catch Wailmer and Feebas but seem to be most common at rivers/canals.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm barely seeing any gen3 pokes since the event

Just a few zigzagoons here and there

Mostly it's the same garbage gen1 pokes (venonats and nidos)

Edit: and of course sentrents

Xaquin on
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Whereas I am swamped by Spheals. The stupid bobbly wobbly balls are everywhere I go. Though it does mean I've already got two pretty decent Walreins.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Have potion drops fallen markedly, or is it just me?

I think I saw something about them splitting the drop tables between gym and normal pokestops. The former giving potions and revives at normal rates, and the latter barely being worth spinning

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I have been absolutely starved for potions recently. This change is terrible.

• Options
    Glad I'm not the only one.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Is it on the horizon to "fix" the "bug" that causes you to go back to the top of the poke list when you change a name or transfer a pokemon? I've been out of the loop so haven't seen anything.

Edit - And a patch was released fixing this problem.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Yay! It’s Novelty Pikachu Day™ again! At least this one comes with double XP so I cracked an egg and evolved all those gen three pokes I’ve been saving up; eighty thousand XP and a level up later and I have my silver Hoenn badge… and a couple of surfing pikachu because why not? I may even go outside and maybe try and find one of these “parks” they’ve invented.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I did the event today. Was disappointed that they were not riding a surfboard. :(

• Options
    This event had more people at our local park playing Pokemon GO than I've seen since the game first launched. The extra EXP and Pikachu were fun- even though I've finished my Electric Type badge, I want to eventually get that Pikachu Badge, and I caught 3 Shiny Pikachu to boot!

At the end, a Kyogre hatched, and I tried to organize raid groups (there were so many people involved that we had to split up). I had forgotten how disorganized people who don't usually raid are.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Hope you all had a great Community Day on Sat!

I started with a round of Lucky Egg evolves to take advantage of the double xp, then headed out to one of the local events. There were pikachu eveywhere, not just at the park! The spawn rate for shinies must have been increased too, because everyone was finding them! (I even managed to find 2, which were my first!) :o

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Next month's Community Day will feature Dratini!! :o

• Options
    OH MY LORD. I'm going to evolve SO MANY DRAGONITES

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Dang, that one might actually be worth doing ‘properly’ – dragonite is one of the few non-legendaries still missing from my Kanto ‘dex.
    Oh and triple stardust too….

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Dragon medal, here I come...

• Options
    Oh man. I’m so happy now that I’m not going on that month long business trip.

I should just start walking a different Pokémon that isn’t my Dragonaire now since he’s guuaranteed to evolve next month :D

• Options
    I'm happy I'm soon going on a trip to a snowy place. It never snows here, and having a weather-boosted Magnemite or three would be nice.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I might actually reinstall the game for that

• Options
    edited January 2018
    thank god, I still need him

dragon, steel, and fighting do not spawn where I live

edit:

so do you just go to a park and they spawn? I was out of town for the pikachu one

Xaquin on
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I'm really curious what the special move is going to be, Get a decent one and evolve it up, may make for a Dragonite that works a bit differently in the gym meta.

• Options
    23 new pokemon should be appearing in just a couple hours! :o

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Just caught an Aron. Yay for new things to catch.

• Options
    Ruldar wrote: »
    I'm really curious what the special move is going to be, Get a decent one and evolve it up, may make for a Dragonite that works a bit differently in the gym meta.

Well, the surfing Pikachu I evolved at the weekend did not become Raichu with surf, so I guess the move change with evolution is still in effect even for the event Pokemon - so probably wouldn’t make any difference to the Dragonite move options.

• Options
    I might log on long enough for the Dratini thing. Not getting a Dragonite is one of my regrets. I would have liked to complete a gen 1 Pokedex but the dumb way they did legendaries made that impossible anyways (plus I was never gonna find an Aerodactyl and who knows when the region exclusive mons would be catchable like Farfetch'd)

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    thank god, I still need him

dragon, steel, and fighting do not spawn where I live

edit:

so do you just go to a park and they spawn? I was out of town for the pikachu one

Pikachu was everywhere, not just parks. I couldn't play because I was at Ikea but just on the half hour car trip to Ikea my gotcha caught like 10.

• Options
    Gotta remember to save up Balls and Berries for the Dratini day. Might limit catches to Daily + Rares until then.

And, yeah, they make the event game-wide, but if you show up at your local designated location, then spawns go through the roof.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    How does one know where to go for their local community day events? Are the locations listed somewhere? Because if it's like, Olympia, I could see doing that, but if it's more like Seattle, fuck that.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    How does one know where to go for their local community day events? Are the locations listed somewhere? Because if it's like, Olympia, I could see doing that, but if it's more like Seattle, fuck that.

Community event I thought was local areas designated as parks.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Community event I thought was local areas designated as parks.

Yep.

But honestly, if you have a high-traffic Pokemon area with a lot of Pokestops, you might be better off going there. I went to the downtown of my city and it was a Pikachu party.