As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Brexit, Pursued by a Blair

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The only way we see Tim Farron as opposition leader in the near future is some type of cataclysmic PLP revolt where most of them defect to the Lib Dems

So not until May at the earliest then?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Damn.

Liverpool FC ban for Sun journalists over Hillsborough - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38933817

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Damn.

Liverpool FC ban for Sun journalists over Hillsborough - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38933817

I'm only surprised it took them this long!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Damn.

I'm only surprised it took them this long!

It's a weird thing to decide nearly 30 years after the fact

What motivated it now, did the Sun have another TRUTH headline?

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    It was the result of a campaign by a fan group:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-ban-sn-anfield-melwood-12587473#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

I'm surprised the odious fuckers still had any kind of access to be honest.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    uk exports education and nonfinancial business services, but these are reasonably not so much things to focus on in negotiations, on by virtue of them being sold to foreigners in uk jurisdictions

arguably same for the others - they are things the uk can steer domestically

it's not unreasonable imo, but it does make for the best headlines

problem with educational exports is mainly an immigration policy one that they are doing their best to make worse

every single non idiot has been arguing for excluding students from immigration figures and yet...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    "Shit! How can we make it look like we've backed out of giving him an opportunity to speak to Parliament?"

"I know! let's re-arrange his trip for a time we're all on holiday"

"Genius."

British officials drop plans for Donald Trump to address parliament
    The government has abandoned the idea of Donald Trump addressing the joint Houses of Parliament when he comes to Britain for a state visit later this year after objections by MPs led by the Commons Speaker John Bercow.

The US president’s controversial visit is now expected to run from a Thursday to a Sunday in late summer or early autumn, with officials trying to ensure that Trump is not in London at a time when parliament is sitting, in order to avoid a formal snub.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    On the subject of Hillsborough, Eddie Hitler impersonator done a whoopsie:

Ukip leader Paul Nuttall denies lying about being at Hillsborough disaster

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options

For shame,

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Why would someone lie about being there!? You'd have to be absolute scum-
    UKIP leader Paul Nuttall

Ah, OK.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    The SNP has massively high unfavourables in England. There's not a seat in the land where they would break 4 figures.

Hardly surprising. By the mere fact of its existence it's a slap in the face to English nationalism/pride.

• Options
    Told my brother about People Before Profit's Collect Underpants approach to the EU. He's now voting Green.

• Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular

For shame,

Using the power to hide lies never works for long.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Thought you folks would enjoy this

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Brexit: Labour rebels to receive formal written warning
    Mr Corbyn imposed the three-line whip after vowing his party would not seek to obstruct the implementation of the EU referendum result.

Convention dictates that members of the leader's shadow cabinet team should resign or be sacked if they defy such an order.

Some did resign but the remaining rebels are to receive only a letter insisting that they must comply with the whip in the future.

The decision not to sack them leaves Labour facing the prospect of three whips trying to persuade their colleagues to vote with a leader who himself rebelled against Labour more than 400 times - when they have defied him themselves, BBC political correspondent Chris Mason says.

They're all pathetic. He's a pathetic leader, the cabinet who should have resigned in principle but didn't are pathetic, and they're now getting a nasty letter.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    "Stop or I'll say stop again!"

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I suppose he didn't tell Abbott ahead of time what the penalty would be

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Tweet from the Senior Political Reporter for The International Business Times

Imagine being forced out of your home due to the hatred of your neighbours. How dreadful.

As for the "unknown men attempting to access the property", given they were trying to take photos I wouldn't be surprised if they're the sort of paparazzi gutter-press vultures whose "scandals" UKIP politicians normally devour and regurgitate with glee.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

I'd honestly prefer if he never appeared on TV again and lost all avenues to impart his odious opinion, but I'll take Morgan appearing on shows to be told to fuck off over and over.

I have enjoyed the subsequent tweet argument he got into with Rowling.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

I'd honestly prefer if he never appeared on TV again and lost all avenues to impart his odious opinion, but I'll take Morgan appearing on shows to be told to fuck off over and over.

Did Rowling do what Rowling does?

Seriously. Do not get into a snark fight with an author in a written medium.

You are bringing a baguette to a gun fight.

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »

Rowling did what Rowling does.

My favourite reply was when she told him it was a shame he hadn't read her books as he would have learned that sucking up to the school bully just gets you burned alive.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

You can read about some of the replies here.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

See also the old advice, variously attributed, to "never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel."
    Applies equally to newspapers, printers, and very prolific writers.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

PIERS MORGAN accusing JK ROWLING of being superior, dismissive, and arrogant is just... :rotate:

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

PIERS MORGAN accusing JK ROWLING of being superior, dismissive, and arrogant is just... :rotate:

Well be fair. He also said that Hillary Clinton lost the US Election because she's a member of the elite.

Insert any of the photos of POTUS45 and his family in their gilded New York penthouse apartment here.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Never mind, read Desktop's second sentence.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I love these descriptions.
    The MP for Ashton-under-Lyne was judged by the group to be “not likeable”, a “bit charity shop-looking” and “weird”, with one participant suggesting voters would not take her seriously, the newspaper reported.

Long-Bailey, a former lawyer and the MP for Salford and Eccles, was viewed more favourably with the group describing her as “passionate”, “genuine”, “sincere” and “very smart”, although some saw her as “aggressive” and “rough”.
    Voters also appear to have been sceptical about Corbyn’s appeal in the focus group. The group, organised by Labour’s pollster, BMG Research, found Corbyn to be “boring”, said he appeared “fed up” and “looks like a scruffy schooled”.

Did you hear Corbyn has a mandate?
    When asked about a recent YouGov poll that suggested Corbyn’s favourability ratings were plummeting, Watson added: “This is not the time for a leadership election. He got a second mandate from our members last year, he is now the established leader of the Labour party.

“It is his duty to lead the official opposition through a period of unprecedented economic uncertainty and he will be tested. He has to explain those and he has to improve on them and he’s well aware of that.

“I do talk about the issues that I think Labour needs to address if we are going to narrow that poll gap.”

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I think Angela Rayner would play pretty well with the kind of urban demographic that labour doesn't seem to be having trouble retaining.

It's interesting to note that she doesn't seem to go down well with the demographic they're losing. With the right party machinery behind her I would have thought a decent campaign could be mounted.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I can't believe that after everything that's happened they're actually mooting removing Jeremy. I mean what's changed? His overwhelming unpopularity with the electorate wasn't perceived as a problem before why is it now?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Having grown up next to Ashton, the MP for there probably is really weird

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Traditional Unionist Voice, one of the smaller splinter parties, appear to be using "Drain The Swamp" unironically as a campaign slogan. Ew.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I say we water the swamp and return East Anglia beneath the waves

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Traditional Unionist Voice, one of the smaller splinter parties, appear to be using "Drain The Swamp" unironically as a campaign slogan. Ew.

That is disgusting.

They had the perfect opportunity to switch it to "Drain the Bog" right there.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I say we water the swamp and return East Anglia beneath the waves

Can we just flood News Corp's HQ

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Low priority - environmental services, water, medical, education, professional and business services.
    Wow.
    That's conservatives for you. I mean noone's actually surprised, are they?

• Options

That is disgusting.

They had the perfect opportunity to switch it to "Drain the Bog" right there.

Also it makes little sense because I don't think we have any swamps, and when Trump used it and inmediately abandoned its intent after winning it's because Washington was actually built on a swamp

Maybe swamps have interesting ecological properties don't hate

• Options
    We do not really have any swamps in the UK, like the type you see in places like Florida. We do have marshes and wetlands though which are similar! The difference in the water level/flow and vegetation present. They have very sensitive local ecologists with species that can only grow in certain areas. There are some trees which can only grow in wetlands which have flooded, dried out, then flooded again because of the specific mineral deposits you find.

• Options
    We do not really have any swamps in the UK, like the type you see in places like Florida. We do have marshes and wetlands though which are similar! The difference in the water level/flow and vegetation present. They have very sensitive local ecologists with species that can only grow in certain areas. There are some trees which can only grow in wetlands which have flooded, dried out, then flooded again because of the specific mineral deposits you find.

Yeah that's why "Drain the Bog" would be more appropriate

This discussion has been closed.