As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Brexit, Pursued by a Blair

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I can't believe that after everything that's happened they're actually mooting removing Jeremy. I mean what's changed? His overwhelming unpopularity with the electorate wasn't perceived as a problem before why is it now?

His position on Europe has become clear.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I can't believe that after everything that's happened they're actually mooting removing Jeremy. I mean what's changed? His overwhelming unpopularity with the electorate wasn't perceived as a problem before why is it now?

And has been pretty clear since even before his "7/10" comment.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I'd like to think it's because he's backed a lot of his supporters into inventing elaborate theories of Corbyn-the-secret-Europhile, especially after the 7/10 remark, the charges of sabotaging the Remain campaign, and Owen Smith trying to play the DID YOU VOTE TO LEAVE JEREMY card during the contest. The obligation to defend the Europhile theory has left the Lexit fantasizing by the wayside.

and now, after a week of frenzied NO NO HE'S SAVING THE CAVALRY FOR THE THIRD READING speculation, there's egg on a lot of faces

... nah it's just blood in the water now that he's shed even more shad cab

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

The 3 line whip caused the fucking canary to write a negative article about him.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Only to people who were actually paying attention.

Which is to say, wonks like us.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Y'know I've been meaning to ask.

The Isles don't really have any... dangerous creatures native too them do they? Like there aren't any large predatory mammals, or deadly poisonous spiders or snakes right?

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

The Isles don't really have any... dangerous creatures native too them do they? Like there aren't any large predatory mammals, or deadly poisonous spiders or snakes right?

Nope! In general the weather and/or wildlife doesn't just randomly decide to kill you in either Britain or Ireland, which I think are two vastly underrated traits in a country.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

A lot of the native wildlife is gone, actually.

bbc.com/earth/story/20150604-can-we-make-britain-wild-again
    Compared to other European countries, the UK has been slow to reintroduce its indigenous species, despite European legislation encouraging it.

Big predators now roam in nearly one-third of mainland Europe. There are currently 17,000 brown bears, 12,000 wolves, 9,000 Eurasian lynx and 1,250 wolverines. But not in Britain.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Used to be full of trolls and goblins and leprechauns though, till St. Patrick strangled them all to death

• Options

The 3 line whip caused the fucking canary to write a negative article about him.

His stance even before that point was extremely clear to anyone not wilfully blinkered.

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

Compared to other European countries, the UK has been slow to reintroduce its indigenous species, despite European legislation encouraging it.

Big predators now roam in nearly one-third of mainland Europe. There are currently 17,000 brown bears, 12,000 wolves, 9,000 Eurasian lynx and 1,250 wolverines. But not in Britain.

I think we still have adders, don't we? Not that you'll find one unless you deliberately go looking.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

I'd honestly prefer if he never appeared on TV again and lost all avenues to impart his odious opinion, but I'll take Morgan appearing on shows to be told to fuck off over and over.

I have enjoyed the subsequent tweet argument he got into with Rowling.

Did Rowling do what Rowling does?

Seriously. Do not get into a snark fight with an author in a written medium.

You are bringing a baguette to a gun fight.

You can read about some of the replies here.

The most horrifying part of that article is apparently Piers has 4 autobiographies published.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Everything you need to know about British native species can be found by watching the Animals of Farthing Wood.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Everything you need to know about British native species can be found by watching the Animals of Farthing Wood.

No start with something more upbeat like Watership Down

• Options

His stance even before that point was extremely clear to anyone not wilfully blinkered.

Correct but supporters were able to keep constructing stories. The three line whip is inarguable.

• Options
    Plague Dogs! Patrick Stewart is in it!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    From earlier this month

Plan to return the lynx splits friends and families in Kielder Forest community
    But there’s a blot on the horizon over Kielder Forest, in Northumberland, thanks to highly contentious plans to reintroduce the Eurasian lynx.

The move has caused a bitter divide in the picturesque hills bordering Scotland. Campaigners say the wild mammal, which was last seen across Britain in 700AD, would reinvigorate the biggest forested area in Britain and control its sizeable herbivore population.
    The Eurasian lynx, which were hunted for their highly prized pelts, have been successfully reintroduced in northern Germany, where 14 of the cats introduced in 2000 have grown to a population of up to 100.

Their preferred diet of roe deer makes them popular with the rewilding movement, which argues for the reintroduction of apex predators in order to control herbivore populations, promote forest growth and reinvigorate ecosystems.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Plague Dogs! Patrick Stewart is in it!

Saint Patrick already got mentioned. :wink:

Jazz on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The craziest one for me is finding out recently that the Burren is (at least partially) man-made.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Used to be full of trolls and goblins and leprechauns though, till St. Patrick strangled them all to death

They had it coming.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Redwall, bros. Mice with broadswords and shrews with rapiers!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Land that animals are squatting on is land that can't be used for another block of flats or a car park.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

Only the Conservative Party.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »

Not sure whether "Large predatory mammal" or "Deadly posionous spider" is the more appropriate classification.
    Will settle for "Yes."

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    pezgen wrote: »

Not sure whether "Large predatory mammal"

ixj4bglxct9k.jpg
    or "Deadly posionous spider"

7smpeny4w7x7.jpg
    is the more appropriate classification.
    Will settle for "Yes."

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I think we still have adders, don't we? Not that you'll find one unless you deliberately go looking.

It's only been reruns though since the end of the 80's, except for some specials.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The craziest one for me is finding out recently that the Burren is (at least partially) man-made.

Essentially 100% of British landscape is at least partially man made.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

2/3's of Scotland is actually pretty much untouched. There's nothing larger than small towns on the entire west coast. The human population of Scotland is almost entirely centred in the Glasgow/Edinburgh areas and surrounding country side and the handful of cities dotting up the east coast.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

2/3's of Scotland is actually pretty much untouched. There's nothing larger than small towns on the entire west coast. The human population of Scotland is almost entirely centred in the Glasgow/Edinburgh areas and surrounding country side and the handful of cities dotting up the east coast.

Low population doesn't mean untouched man, most of the moorland and heather landscapes we think typical of scotland are the result of and maintained by human activity - there are only like 200 square kilometers of the primordial Caledonian pine forest that covered most of scotland left, and there is even less of the west coast's original temperate rainforest.

Pretty much any area without trees which isn't a Mountaintop/Outer Hebrides/Sutherland in Scotland is the result of humans and livestock, and 95% of the trees which are there are also human induced.

Just up the road there are iron age hill forts that are three thousand years old - people have been working away at the landscape here for a long time. You'd be amazed what a few lads and a herd of sheep can do with a thousand years to do it in.

Dis' on
  • Options
  • Options
    Fake mews.

• Options
    All this talk of bogs makes me wonder how Labour are doing in the polls...

• Options
    UUP Leader Mike Nesbitt has raised a minor kerfuffle by declaring that after he votes 1 for the UUP, he will bolster the SDLP instead of traditional unionist solidarity

This has led to words being said

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »

Low population doesn't mean untouched man, most of the moorland and heather landscapes we think typical of scotland are the result of and maintained by human activity - there are only like 200 square kilometers of the primordial Caledonian pine forest that covered most of scotland left, and there is even less of the west coast's original temperate rainforest.

Pretty much any area without trees which isn't a Mountaintop/Outer Hebrides/Sutherland in Scotland is the result of humans and livestock, and 95% of the trees which are there are also human induced.

Just up the road there are iron age hill forts that are three thousand years old - people have been working away at the landscape here for a long time. You'd be amazed what a few lads and a herd of sheep can do with a thousand years to do it in.

As someone who studied this in uni

You're correct.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

You're correct.

I would recommend visiting both the Caledonian forest (Glen Affric is a nice example) and the west coast rainforest (Argyll Forest Park has the most original species irrc) for a sense of dislocation between them and the 'normal' countryside. Also because they are well scenic.

• Options

You're correct.

I would recommend visiting both the Caledonian forest (Glen Affric is a nice example) and the west coast rainforest (Argyll Forest Park has the most original species irrc) for a sense of dislocation between them and the 'normal' countryside. Also because they are well scenic.

I'll try to visit them!

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    UUP Leader Mike Nesbitt has raised a minor kerfuffle by declaring that after he votes 1 for the UUP, he will bolster the SDLP instead of traditional unionist solidarity

This has led to words being said

Nesbitt is an odd character these days. He tries to sound reasonable but just ends up exposing how backward the UUP are at heart. For example, he said he didn't oppose gay marriage - but then went off on "my upbringing" and voted against it along with the entirety of his party bar one. He was pro-remain and personally I believed him on that one - except the rest of his party were either quiet as mice or came out for brexit. Support for brexit is also why I'm very unlikely to vote for them.

On the SDLP transfer, gotta make sure that those votes are pure orange and green. Even if it means voting for a bunch of malignant corrupt assholes instead apparently - or at least that's what unionists would have you do. Danny Kennedy (UUP) in Newry basically said as much using the old "unionist solidarity" card. Even if he was opposed to transferring votes to the SDLP, which is fair enough, he should have at least kept to "but don't transfer anything to the DUP".

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Corbyn lured away with fake Labour party
    MPS have set up a decoy Labour party to keep Jeremy Corbyn harmlessly occupied while someone else takes over, they have revealed.

After being told by email that Labour was moving headquarters, Corbyn is now leading the fake party from a prefabricated hut on the outskirts of Rotherham.

A Labour spokesman said: “All the staff are paid actors who reassure him things are going well. Today they convinced him he’s ahead in the polls because the public has suddenly got really into Marxism.

“Every so often we send a ‘TV news crew’ to interview him about his latest policy to bring back British Leyland or whatever. They’re just actors too. I don’t think they even turn the camera on.

“Now we can get on with electing someone at least slightly popular, and Jeremy can potter about writing letters of support to Bootle Friends of Nicaragua.”

Corbyn said: “Everyone at our new HQ keeps me tied up all day with interminable committee meetings about things like making Knutsford a nuclear-free zone. I’m loving it.

“I said I should really go to this week’s Prime Minister’s Questions, but apparently I am too valuable to lose from the banner-making team.”

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    That's amazing.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    America, this is one idea I promise that we will never ever complain about you stealing

This discussion has been closed.