As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a Horizon: Zero Dawn thread - now with cold!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So how'm I supposed to find the rest of these batteries? If I get all the tallnecks will they tell me where more ruins are?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    You'll find them as you advance in the main quest line, if you explore the various areas you go to or into. You won't get them all until right near the end though, so don't sweat it too much, I only missed one, but you back to the area it was in towards the end of the game and I found it then.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I just finished the main story about 5 minutes ago.
    That ending left me kind of cold and too much of a sequel setup. The ranch scene was great but I just wanted a little bit more. The game had a super interesting world and backstory, but Aloy felt a whole lot like a stranger bouncing from location to location and I only really felt like she formed an interesting relationship with Erend. The combat was neat but even the last boss was just a robot I had already killed several times and I found myself avoiding fighting more and more as the game went on. I had an entire inventory of purple mods but could only use like a few at a time, and I rarely felt the need to swap out my weapons and basically never swapped my armor and they felt kinda worthless.

The game was a series of highs and lows. A great intro, a meandering entrance to the open world, an incredible middle of world building, and then a bit of a whimper to end.

In horizon 2, now that the world is established, they really need to focus on having a stronger supporting cast or letting the existing supporting cast shine. Aloy is great but she needs some help.

It was a very good game and is in my top 10, but there was a lot that I liked more this year.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I just started the game this morning! It is a good game!

• Options
    Ok I just walked into frozen wilds and there’s 60% health herbs here and fuck them for not just patching that in the base game.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Just finished it, definitely in my top 10 and probably top 5 if not my favorite in a long while.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    For real though (ending spoilers)
    FUCK Ted Faro

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    FUCK Ted Faro
    2017's Most Punchable Character

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    FUCK Ted Faro

mmm, this is a year with a new South Park game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I love this game but its really hard to get back to after playing AssCreed.

I wish the transversal was as seamless and fun.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    FUCK Ted Faro

South Park ain't
    a rich white Steve Jobs/Tony Stark wannabe who dooms the world and then tries to take credit for the last ditch survival plan and then dooms that

He is Most Punchable

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »
    FUCK Ted Faro

South Park ain't
    a rich white Steve Jobs/Tony Stark wannabe who dooms the world and then tries to take credit for the last ditch survival plan and then dooms that

He is Most Punchable
    Ain't no party like a Fuck Ted Faro party cause the Fuck Ted Faro party don't stop

Seriously, best villain of the year, if only because of the sheer blue balls from us not getting to confront him and make him pay for his shit. Reminds me of having to run from Anubis in the first ZOE

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    FUCK Ted Faro
    Him fucking up the world once was bad enough. I was stunned at the GAIA prime stuff. Just...what a fucking idiot.

I kinda hope the sequel involves finding a hidden working backup of apollo.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    FUCK Ted Faro
    Him fucking up the world once was bad enough. I was stunned at the GAIA prime stuff. Just...what a fucking idiot.

Maybe in Horizon 2 we'll find his Cave of Debauchery and find his skeleton shattered under a mountain of fists courtesy of his rebelling robot harem.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    FUCK Ted Faro

Maybe in Horizon 2 we'll find his Cave of Debauchery and find his skeleton shattered under a mountain of fists courtesy of his rebelling robot harem.
    I'm still betting we'll find either a clone, or a cryo-frozen original. It's entirely within his character to keep all the 'poisonous knowledge' as well, so he/his clone could lead all the 'innocent people'

If I find a big pyramid in Horizon 2, I will immediately abandon all side-quests in the pursuit of finding that man and adding arrows to his face.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Speaking of punchable man of the year 2017,
    Also indicative of the level of asshole Faro was, was when confronted with the true level of fucked the situation was and the only solution left was presented with the requirement of him funding the entire effort his initial reaction was fuck no that’s my money. In the face of the end of mankind, he would have rather initially let all things end than spend money for a chance to allow life to continue. Asshole lvl 99 confirmed.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    I think I might have done all the cauldrons!
    Aloy said something about a Hephaestus

That sounds ominous

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I think I might have done all the cauldrons!
    Aloy said something about a Hephaestus

That sounds ominous
    Have you
    played Frozen Wilds yet?

• Options
    100% most definitely not

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    100% most definitely not

You should do so... no reason... >.>

• Options
    So this Sleight of Crate trial seems way, way harder than any other hunter trial in the game so far

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    So this Sleight of Crate trial seems way, way harder than any other hunter trial in the game so far
    Is that the one where you have to open crates?
    I pretty much abandoned stealth for that one. Max stealth gear helped, but there are two piles of crates, sprint to one and you can clear it ASAP, then just head for the other one, roping or stunning anything that tries to bother you.

I found most of the trials easier to just go the objective full-tilt. Assuming you've been upgrading as you go, by the time you get there health is easy enough to replace, so just brute-forcing it works pretty well.

• Options
    Alright, I’ve now played enough to determine what I don’t like:
    The climbing system is annoying
    Enemy health doesn’t make sense (I can 1-shot a robot with an arrow, but I headshot a boar and I have to shoot it twice more? Come on.)
    Enemy alerts are pretty silly (This bandit turned red for a fraction of a second and the entire camp is instantly alerted)
    Headshotting a person with an arrow doesn’t kill them

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Headshotting a person with an arrow doesn’t kill them
    ...What arrow are you using?
    Precision arrows to the head are almost a guaranteed kill for humans, except on special enemies. And that's what double/triple shots are for.

• Options
    Sure, a precision arrow works but they're relatively expensive to craft. It's just annoying that I can put a standard arrow into a Watcher headshot and it goes down, but a human I guess has a skull that is so much better than a ding dang robot that an arrow in the eye socket does nothing but piss them off. I tell you what: If I got shot in the face with any kind of arrow, I'm gonna lay down for a bit.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Listen, being too stupid to die when we get hit in the face with an arrow is literally the only advantage we humans have over robot dinosaurs, just let us have this.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Rockbreakers are far and away the least fun robots to fight

Is this opinion... more or less in line with general consensus? Is there an easy way to fight Rockbreakers? They love to go underground so much, and that keeps you from hitting them with ropes...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Rockbreakers are far and away the least fun robots to fight

Is this opinion... more or less in line with general consensus? Is there an easy way to fight Rockbreakers? They love to go underground so much, and that keeps you from hitting them with ropes...

Go after the front and back claws first, they're pretty easy to bust up with any arrow with a high impact rating, and they can't go underground after that

Also, they're basically graboids from Tremors, so if you need a place to hide, jumping onto any big rocks in the area mean they can't get to you

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    heavily evasive enemies, like rockbreakers or glinthawks, fucking blow in this game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Tearblast arrows don't do the trick, at any rate, because they dive when surprised and the dive effect is faster than the detonation of the arrows. Which is a bummer, I tell you what.

I think mostly I'm going to try to avoid them, or just apply Freeze and then hit them with the high-damage arrows out of the hunter's bow, but in general: I do not like 'em. They are time sinks and involve too much waiting for them to become vulnerable to attack.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Glinthawks aren't too bad once you light them on fire. Rockbreakers are just a pain in the neck until you break a flipper or two.

• Options
    Tearblast arrows don't do the trick, at any rate, because they dive when surprised and the dive effect is faster than the detonation of the arrows. Which is a bummer, I tell you what.

I think mostly I'm going to try to avoid them, or just apply Freeze and then hit them with the high-damage arrows out of the hunter's bow, but in general: I do not like 'em. They are time sinks and involve too much waiting for them to become vulnerable to attack.

The tearblaster weapon (not the arrows) was real good for the legs. Then just tie em down and detonate the blaze canisters.

But yes I agree completely. It took waaaaaaay too long to down most of the larger machines.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The trick to larger bots I’ve found is: get that sling, son. Sling is king.

Slings so much more damage, it’s ridiculous. Also, if the bot has a gun on it, knock that off first thing and use it against them.

Javen on
  • Options
    I had zero issue with rockbreakers, just timed sharpshots to the weak spot on its back and went down quickly.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I'll have to try the Tearblaster!

Speaking of handling larger enemies I fought a certain Thunderjaw earlier and finally managed to proc a Chill Canister explosion, and when I fired three piercer arrows into its face as it prepared to charge me some damage mods stacked and I did over 1200 damage god damn, the thing just said "fuck it" and laid down to take a nap

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The first time I ran into Behemoths, I hid in tall grass and hacked one. It ran around to the other side of a big rock and attacked its buddy, and I couldn't quite see but I stayed where I was to avoid the sight of Longlegs that were stalking around.

There were some rock explosions. Then the Longlegs ran over there. Then there was a literal stone-filled lightning tornado, and all the hostile machines were dead, and I'm sort of glad I didn't see what happened because the experience of the obscurity was perfect

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Edit: whoops that was answered right below it and I'm blind!

rhylith on
  • Options
    The Terror of the Sun
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sylens showed up with ponies and some big tigers

Gotta admit there's something viscerally satisfying about GAIA's designs running over and eating the Faro robots

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I have finished Horizon Zero Dawn.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a pretty fun game.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I have finished Horizon Zero Dawn.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a pretty fun game.
    Were you tearing up at the ending? No lying, or we'll know.