Options

[Hearthstone] Patches is a good card

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Roz wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think everyone can agree that aggro is good for the game: it keeps control decks honest and ensures diversity on ladder. But the pirate package and shit like Flamewreathed Faceless are just too strong and make aggro too hard to beat without specifically playing an anti-aggro deck, which is not how things should be.

In a vacuum or another card game, yes, but Blizzard hasn't successfully had a season which was dominated by strong control/combo decks since maybe when Mind Control was 8 mana and I'd wager that was more due to the game being brand new at that point, and I don't even think that dominated.

Edit: And I don't even want to lump Combo decks in there, because Miracle Rogue has always survived and that kind of makes the viability of actual control decks invisible if we're always lumping Combo in with them.

Miracle Rogue was insanely dominant for the first couple of seasons. There have been times when control warrior and handlock posted incredibly strong finishes and were top ladder decks.

It's just the case that often players will gravitate toward the aggro decks because of the ladder structure. And interestingly, something I learned recently, people apparently REALLY like aggro decks smashing into each other. There's a strong segment of players out there that have no interest in 20+ minute games. They want games that end quickly.
    Ketherial wrote: »
    well, troggs and totem golem are rotating out so that's good.

And unless they print zero 1 or 2 drops for shaman/neutral, mid-range and aggro shaman will endure.

I think Blizzard has a problem with the Rogue class, and the problem is Gadgetzan Auctioneer. That card is the cornerstone of every Rogue deck. When you have a single card that so single-handedly define a class like that, it's unhealthy for the class and innovation. And it's not only that Gadgetzan Auctioneer is so strong, it's that Blizzard has built so many cards around it: the cheap spell that facilitates the miracle in Miracle Rogue. Counterfeit Coin, Backstab, Tomb Pillager, Preparation, Van Cleef, Questing Adventurer and plenty of others have their strengths defined by Gadgetzan Auctioneer. I like the interaction and I think it's fun, but those synergies are so synonymous with the class that a nerf or removal of Auctioneer (even though it is Standard) would ruin the class unless Blizzard had a whole suite of new Rogue mechanics in the pipeline ready to replace it immediately.

Gadgetzan is probably going to be changed or moved out of the base set, if only because Druid is starting to come dangerously close to abusing it. It existing now drastically impacts how two classes perform; I don't think it stays around that much longer.

Roz on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Cog wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I mentioned it before, but this new Standard rotation desperately needs to shake the game up a lot. Introduce a lot of new and refreshing changes to all game modes. Things are extremely stale and another 130+ cards won't do anything to help that much.

Right now I just complete my daily quests and feel bored. Climbing ladder isn't engaging or rewarding anymore. Streaming quirky decks and interacting with people is great, but even that will be dulled when I'm facing the same decks over and over.

I agree a million percent. I'll tell you, I was just playing a game as Shaman, and I queued into a Hunter. I immediately perked up and got excited. I was less excited when he played Cloaked Huntress and a bunch of secrets, and some other Secret Hunter garbage. I thought he was just a guy behind the times still trying to make Secret Hunter work. I proceeded to roll over him and bring him down to 2.

Then he plays Reno. Then a million deathrattle minions, then Princess Huhuran, then N'zoth. I was never happier to lose a game. This is the Hearthstone that I miss. That also shows you how stale this meta is, because it's not even a super original deck he pulled out of his ass on his own, but just seeing something other than Aggro and Reno Mage/Warlock makes me happy.

Amusingly this is the deck type I convinced Dover to stream last night and he got his shit pushed in trying to make work. :biggrin:

Hahahah oh really?! I was thinking about making it, should I not? Does it not work? I think I just had no idea what was coming, so I didn't know how to play around anything. The first inkling I had that it was an N'zoth deck was when he played Sylvanas. It's not like Highmane or Infested Wolf are dead giveaways for N'zoth. By the time he played Cairne I knew I was fucked but it was also too late.

When I first saw it, it was on Kibler's stream. It worked surprisingly well, but it took a lot of finesse to pilot.

The deathrattle -> Summon minions made for some cool synergy with Tundra Rhino where you could charge, deathrattle, charge with the summoned minions, and clear the board a lot. The Curator exists part as a taunt but part to pull the azure drake for card cycle and spell damage on some of the removal. The whole point was to play a lot of delay and removal against aggro and then set up a big comeback with N'Zoth. Against Reno you had a lot of sticky minions through the deathrattle effects, and you try to get them to drop their reno with those and charge-beasts via the rhino. Then once they have, your win condition was again N'Zoth to bring back a full board.

If you want to run it, it might be worth looking through his VoDs to find him playing it and see how he ran it. Think it was ~ a week ago?

Cog on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    The problem is that reno hunter is just objectively a much weaker reno deck than warlock, mage or priest. Hunter is in a really bad state and it makes me very sad.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    This is the sort of Freeze Mage and creativity we would see more often.

https://youtu.be/BLRmCDExU9s

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    Incidentally, Blizzard should steal Rush as a keyword from Shadowverse.

It's Charge, except the minion can't hit face. So you use the minion exclusively to clear other minions.

there are so many things blizz should take from shadowverse.

quick examples, right off the top of my head:

1) discard one of the lowest cost cards in your hand / destroy one of your opponent's strongest minions
    2) 2nd player draws 2 cards first turn

the significant reduction of rng makes the game much more fun and rewarding.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think everyone can agree that aggro is good for the game: it keeps control decks honest and ensures diversity on ladder. But the pirate package and shit like Flamewreathed Faceless are just too strong and make aggro too hard to beat without specifically playing an anti-aggro deck, which is not how things should be.

In a vacuum or another card game, yes, but Blizzard hasn't successfully had a season which was dominated by strong control/combo decks since maybe when Mind Control was 8 mana and I'd wager that was more due to the game being brand new at that point, and I don't even think that dominated.

Edit: And I don't even want to lump Combo decks in there, because Miracle Rogue has always survived and that kind of makes the viability of actual control decks invisible if we're always lumping Combo in with them.

Miracle Rogue was insanely dominant for the first couple of seasons. There have been times when control warrior and handlock posted incredibly strong finishes and were top ladder decks.

It's just the case that often players will gravitate toward the aggro decks because of the ladder structure. And interestingly, something I learned recently, people apparently REALLY like aggro decks smashing into each other. There's a strong segment of players out there that have no interest in 20+ minute games. They want games that end quickly.

And unless they print zero 1 or 2 drops for shaman/neutral, mid-range and aggro shaman will endure.

I think Blizzard has a problem with the Rogue class, and the problem is Gadgetzan Auctioneer. That card is the cornerstone of every Rogue deck. When you have a single card that so single-handedly define a class like that, it's unhealthy for the class and innovation. And it's not only that Gadgetzan Auctioneer is so strong, it's that Blizzard has built so many cards around it: the cheap spell that facilitates the miracle in Miracle Rogue. Counterfeit Coin, Backstab, Tomb Pillager, Preparation, Van Cleef, Questing Adventurer and plenty of others have their strengths defined by Gadgetzan Auctioneer. I like the interaction and I think it's fun, but those synergies are so synonymous with the class that a nerf or removal of Auctioneer (even though it is Standard) would ruin the class unless Blizzard had a whole suite of new Rogue mechanics in the pipeline ready to replace it immediately.

Gadgetzan is probably going to be changed or moved out of the base set, if only because Druid is starting to come dangerously close to abusing it. It existing now drastically impacts how two classes perform; I don't think it stays around that much longer.

Druid might be ok without auctioneer, but I honestly have no idea what happens to rogue.

Jade death rattle rogue without auctioneer was kinda feasible at the beginning of December, but it probably isn't fast enough to compete with pirate decks, or slow enough to play a drawn out control game. It feels stuck in the middle somewhere.

So much of rogue is like "play auctioneer, draw a bunch of cards" and then play big busted X cards (Van Cleef, Conceal, cold bloods and leeroy, etc.). This is stupid and not very fun for someone else, but it's literally the only competitive strategy that rogue has and Blizzard has shown no signs of steering rogues in a different competitive direction.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    make SI:7's combo effect "destroy target minion"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Druid might be ok without auctioneer, but I honestly have no idea what happens to rogue.

Jade death rattle rogue without auctioneer was kinda feasible at the beginning of December, but it probably isn't fast enough to compete with pirate decks, or slow enough to play a drawn out control game. It feels stuck in the middle somewhere.

So much of rogue is like "play auctioneer, draw a bunch of cards" and then play big busted X cards (Van Cleef, Conceal, cold bloods and leeroy, etc.). This is stupid and not very fun for someone else, but it's literally the only competitive strategy that rogue has and Blizzard has shown no signs of steering rogues in a different competitive direction.

Maybe they'll play this bullshit Questing Adventurer/Edwin/Conceal/Cold Blood/Preparation deck I'm seeing lately.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    make SI:7's combo effect "destroy target minion"

A destroy effect without a downside? For shame good sir.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Early in the game, there was an aggro rogue that worked really well without Auctioneer (coined backspace rogue, but really it was colma's deck), that deck died the day they nerfed Leeroy.

I'd like to see Blizzard steer the class in that direction.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Mill Rogue is a thing that you can play in casual and is no fun for your opponent. If you want to be like that.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    The problem is that reno hunter is just objectively a much weaker reno deck than warlock, mage or priest. Hunter is in a really bad state and it makes me very sad.

Are you aiming for legend?

Because I don't think it matters otherwise.

People should play what they enjoy playing.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hello, lossless streak from 18 to 15 on the back of pirate warrior, including one match where I did so much damage to a shaman that he couldn't use his jade claws.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Historically speaking, Blizzard underestimate drawback mechanics. Things like "you need to play deathrattles to make Undertaker grow!" and "You'll need to have spellpower to make this weapon have 3 attack!" and "You'll need to have a weapon to play this flame imp!"

The risk vs reward is way off. It should be "if you don't meet this requirement this card is bad, but if you do, this card is good" - instead we get "if you don't meet this requirement this card would be unplayable, but if you do this card is actually crazy broken"

Or frequently "this card is just average or mildly underpowered if you don't hit the requirement, and absolutely game breaking if you do."

See: Almost every 1 drop with a statline above 1/1 and effect text.

I know, I'm getting sick and tired of how OP lightwarden is.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    keep bouncing between 10 and 12 with anyfin pally... just streaked from 12 to 10 for example but then I'll hit a streak of pirate warrior and fall back.

it's GREAT against shaman but warrior is just too fast. I'll even be at 30 health til like turn 3 and then be dead on turn 7. it's just insane.

but I'll take it in exchange for being either even or favored (or feeling that way...) against literally every other deck that's out there. reno lock and all shamans are easy (I don't know numbers but I would say I am strongly favored in those matchups), dragon priest can beat me if they have a strong start and I don't get a clear (or I do clear but they get more big taunts up) and of course entomb can mess with me. likewise reno mage can clear/heal/poly and beat me if they know what they're doing but I do win sometimes.

all in all if I would run into less pirate warriors I think I could get to at least rank 5. but even with going back and forth in rank I am building up those wins. just 59 more! gonna try and get there this week. I may even take a signal from dover and stream some now that I'm unemployed. just gotta make myself a schedule so I keep looking for a new job and don't fall into some of my older habits :P

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular

Historically speaking, Blizzard underestimate drawback mechanics. Things like "you need to play deathrattles to make Undertaker grow!" and "You'll need to have spellpower to make this weapon have 3 attack!" and "You'll need to have a weapon to play this flame imp!"

The risk vs reward is way off. It should be "if you don't meet this requirement this card is bad, but if you do, this card is good" - instead we get "if you don't meet this requirement this card would be unplayable, but if you do this card is actually crazy broken"

Or frequently "this card is just average or mildly underpowered if you don't hit the requirement, and absolutely game breaking if you do."

I actually love that card. I don't care what anybody says!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I actually love that card. I don't care what anybody says!

I do to, I ran it in several aggro and tempo priest lists

doesn't mean it's any good

basically it asks you to do a similar thing to STB, but instead of gaining tempo through playing a weapon you're losing tempo by healing something (often your opponent's face to get the buff, which even risks being anti-value if it gets killed by like wrath or something)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Here's a 1-drop for aggro I could get behind:

Goblin Guide Navigator
    1 mana 2/2
    Charge
    At the start of each of your opponent's turns, they gain a mana crystal that turn only.

Characters
  • Options

Goblin Guide Navigator
    1 mana 2/2
    Charge
    At the start of each of your opponent's turns, they gain a mana crystal that turn only.

But it's a goblin, so it should also have a 50% chance to do 4 damage to a random hero each turn.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Goblin Guide Navigator
    1 mana 2/2
    Charge

But it's a goblin, so it should also have a 50% chance to do 4 damage to a random hero each turn.

I'll meet you halfway and add the Pirate tag to it.

Characters
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Mill Rogue is a thing that you can play in casual and is no fun for your opponent. If you want to be like that.

Hey, I liked playing Mill Rogue. :sad:
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hello, lossless streak from 18 to 15 on the back of pirate warrior, including one match where I did so much damage to a shaman that he couldn't use his jade claws.

I mean on the one hand I'm happy for you but on the other hand it's not ok that this is a thing that can happen..

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I mean, he got one use out of them. But then any other hit he took would've dropped him to, like, two health or dead.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    @Variable can you post your anyfin list, I opened finja yesterday and want to dust mine off. I assume you cut the curator package nowadays?

• Options
    @Grobian
    Untitled.png

I mention two names in the deck name because it's a mix of two lists. just 1 loot hoarder and one mistress as opposed to 2 of either iirc.

honestly you can probably just go 2 hoarders, you die against pirate warrior pretty much regardless. I guess that's why you'd pack 2 but I'd rather accept it as a virtual guaranteed loss. I haven't risen past rank 10 because of them but personally my goal is just to win regularly enough, I don't need to climb.

• Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    Well, I still regularly, at least once a day, see Dragon Priest, Midrange Shaman, Dragon Warrior, Jade Druid and Miracle Rogue. Granted, two of those run pirates but they play a whole lot different. There has been quite a few Control Shaman and Control Warriors as well past rank 5 EU. So it's a bit of a stretch to say that it is all aggro or reno.

The sheer bulk of games are vs aggro though and that can be quite tiresome. I also think aggro is too explosive, even a coined T1 Doomsayer stands no chance any more. But I think we're only a pirate nerf away from a really good place. My choice would be to just make STB a class card for warrior and maybe lower it's health to 1.

• Options
    health to 1 or attack to 2 might be enough

I'd be just as well to leave that card and nerf the cards that give warrior weapons +a swing and +1 dmg. it's ludicrous how much it adds up and it is practically a free effect. it's not just strong, it feels wrong. on a reaper you've swung once you get 7 dmg for 1 mana (1 on that first swing plus another fresh swing for 6 dmg)

... but I am awful at balance considerations, I probably just lost to weapons a couple of times recently and it stuck with me.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    We live in strange times. This is an era where Hunter is too slow to beat Rogue: https://hsreplay.net/replay/mkUro8FFv4PbZmbbQS4hhh

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    We live in strange times. This is an era where Hunter is too slow to beat Rogue: https://hsreplay.net/replay/mkUro8FFv4PbZmbbQS4hhh

Poor Rexxar.

• Options
    This tribute video full of old card evaluations is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crq9qgx54AY

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Vary...

that list has no anyfin in it...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »
    Vary...

that list has no anyfin in it...

It also only has 28 cards, though.

I found a list that cuts Tirion and I almost think that makes sense, if you just run more early game stuff instead. Can't cut Lightlord.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It also is only 28 cards. Let's assume anyfins are the last two.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    So... Earlier @Shadowhope asked about starting value and benefits of buying the first wing of an adventure.
    I just remembered; Reno Jackson is the reward for the first wing of League of Explorers. That's a pretty darn good reason to at least go for that first wing before the set rotates out.
    You may not be playing him right away. But I do believe you'll want to have access to that guy in your collection before his adventure becomes unavailable to purchase. As a single card, Reno has been a fairly dominant factor since his introduction. Also; what he does is quite fun and unique. Even if we're all pretty damn tired of playing around Reno at this point!

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/b7npEvY9Cp4
    Math is hard, let's go shopping

• Options
    I had 6k worth of dust to disenchant. Went through and did it manually so I could keep some stuff I thought might get nerfed.

Kept an extra 6 STBs, 3 Azure Drakes, and an Auctioneer. Going to hold onto my second Kazakus too but it seems unlikely he'll see any change.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I tried ranked for the first time yesterday. I was playing Sheng's basic Priest deck, with a couple of cards swapped out for cards that I think are more or less better with the same or roughly the same cost. My first game was against another Priest, and he or she had a ton of dragons with discovery and battlecry effects and I suffered a slow motion ass-kicking. The best I can say is that it took him or her a long time to actually kill me. Then I played a Mage that seemed to be using Sheng's Mage deck, and that was a narrow loss.

The third game was against another basic Mage deck, and I won that pretty handily. After that it was a Warrior some sort of Pirate themed deck (I think almost every card was a pirate), and that was an easy win. Then I won a three more. It's sort of weird - the absolute hardest deck I played against was the very first, the second game was kind of hard, and since then it's been easy. Is there a matchmaking system in place that's ignoring rank and putting me against people of similar skill, that just needed a game or two to calibrate?

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I tried ranked for the first time yesterday. I was playing Sheng's basic Priest deck, with a couple of cards swapped out for cards that I think are more or less better with the same or roughly the same cost. My first game was against another Priest, and he or she had a ton of dragons with discovery and battlecry effects and I suffered a slow motion ass-kicking. The best I can say is that it took him or her a long time to actually kill me. Then I played a Mage that seemed to be using Sheng's Mage deck, and that was a narrow loss.

The third game was against another basic Mage deck, and I won that pretty handily. After that it was a Warrior some sort of Pirate themed deck (I think almost every card was a pirate), and that was an easy win. Then I won a three more. It's sort of weird - the absolute hardest deck I played against was the very first, the second game was kind of hard, and since then it's been easy. Is there a matchmaking system in place that's ignoring rank and putting me against people of similar skill, that just needed a game or two to calibrate?

If you're playing ranked then it just uses the rank. But your rank resets every month so you will randomly meet players with all the cards at every rank.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Turns out Dragon Priests are tricky opponents, even when you're playing Dragon Priest yourself.

They might have Ysera, who is tricky for other priests to deal with. Or they might unexpectedly have Entomb (fuck those priests forever). Or they might suddenly be running Mind Control just when you're vulnerable to it. What kind of a spawn of Satan wants to play MC in the current meta? The first circle of Hell is reserved for traitors to your kindred. Priests of all people should know that!

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    @Grobian
    Untitled.png

I mention two names in the deck name because it's a mix of two lists. just 1 loot hoarder and one mistress as opposed to 2 of either iirc.

honestly you can probably just go 2 hoarders, you die against pirate warrior pretty much regardless. I guess that's why you'd pack 2 but I'd rather accept it as a virtual guaranteed loss. I haven't risen past rank 10 because of them but personally my goal is just to win regularly enough, I don't need to climb.

I settled on a list that had (compared to yours)
    - Mistress
    - Ooze
    - Wickerflame
    +2 Loot Hoarder
    + 1 Aldor

I started at rank 13 NA and played to get a 5 win quest.
    Aggro Shaman - W
    Reno Dragon Priest - W
    Reno Mage - L
    Dragon Priest - W (he disconnected or left)
    Jade Shaman - W (friendly game against @Iron Weasel)
    Miracle Pirate Rogue - W
    Reno Dragon Priest - W

Luckily no Pirate Warrior, so that was good.
    The 80g game was a bit lucky, because I got an Anyfin off a horse.
    The Miracle Rogue was super fun because he left a doomsayer active to bring me to 1 HP. I played Ragnaros and proceeded to turn the game around, it was intense.

I'm very sure I played that Reno Mage incorrectly, all the turns felt weird. Maybe I just got unlucky with the order of my cards. Anyway, if someone has a ton of time to spare, here is the replay of that game (23 turns, though): https://hsreplay.net/replay/JrgzFrj2c45g6K2mxQQ2z5

• Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    I only watched the first 10-12 turns and I think you played that mostly right. Doomsayer on an empty board versus Reno Mage, even turn 2, is asking to get dirty ratted tho. Could've cost you Rag Lightlord.

Between Ice block and Poly I think Reno Mage is pretty favoured though