Options

[Hearthstone] Patches is a good card

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    As I promised, my birthday Hearthstone stream is live! Drop in, say hi, and make deck suggestions.

Happy birthday dude, sadly I can't drop in today, I have to actually work at work for once.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Just beat control paladin with my dragon deck by divine spirit/inner firing a scaled nightmare

After the win the guy messaged me say "that is officially my favorite loss of the day, that was amazing"

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    No problem, you can watch the VOD. I got wrecked a couple of times, but did get a few good eggro Druid games in and even the turn 1 Astral Communion dream. Happy birthday to me indeed! :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    No problem, you can watch the VOD. I got wrecked a couple of times, but did get a few good eggro Druid games in and even the turn 1 Astral Communion dream. Happy birthday to me indeed! :)

The only thing I hate about Astral Druid is that you never get a chance to play with all those sweet fatties! Don't hit your AC, get rekt. Hit your T1-4 AC, opponent concedes :bigfrown:

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    djFindus wrote: »

The only thing I hate about Astral Druid is that you never get a chance to play with all those sweet fatties! Don't hit your AC, get rekt. Hit your T1-4 AC, opponent concedes :bigfrown:

the thing about Astral Druid

is that you can't even live til turn 4 anymore to hit AC anyway

thanks Pirates! :rotate:

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I've finally started playing this game. And well, now I know what I'm doing while on the bus to and from work for the foreseeable future.

I've been playing some basic decks for the most part, though I've been building my own as well. Having played MTG years ago, the same principles seem to be present - card advantage is good, tempo is important, mana curve is a thing to be aware of, etc, so that all makes sense to me.

I bought the starter pack (the ten packs + one legendary thing) and I have no desire to spend any more money in the game. But with the gold I earn from doing stuff, what should I be buying? Up to this point, I've been getting mostly Classic packs, with a couple of Old Gods and Gadgetzan packs thrown in. Should I save up for Karazhan (or one of the other adventures), or keep buying Classic packs?

Also, I don't have much dust yet - should I use it to build staple cards or save it for bigger and better things?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Mage in Arena killed my Shifting Shade with a Forgotten Torch, which gave me the Roaring Torch for lethal.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I've finally started playing this game. And well, now I know what I'm doing while on the bus to and from work for the foreseeable future.

I've been playing some basic decks for the most part, though I've been building my own as well. Having played MTG years ago, the same principles seem to be present - card advantage is good, tempo is important, mana curve is a thing to be aware of, etc, so that all makes sense to me.

I bought the starter pack (the ten packs + one legendary thing) and I have no desire to spend any more money in the game. But with the gold I earn from doing stuff, what should I be buying? Up to this point, I've been getting mostly Classic packs, with a couple of Old Gods and Gadgetzan packs thrown in. Should I save up for Karazhan (or one of the other adventures), or keep buying Classic packs?

Also, I don't have much dust yet - should I use it to build staple cards or save it for bigger and better things?

Use dust for building staple cards for sure. Azure Drake and Small-time Buccaneer are no-brainers in the neutral space, play a little more to figure out what classes you enjoy the most. Which legendary did you get? Van Cleef is the classic class legendary who sees the most play the moment.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    @Shadowhope
    Not the best at giving HS advice, but I'll point you to our excellent OP.
    But what sort of 2 classes do you like most from the get-go? If mage, Karazhan has a sweet set of cards for you.

The OP has a ton of good advice for you in regards to how you should spend your first installments of gold/dust/money. In general, classic cards do not rotate out of season, so keep grabbing classic packs (along with some Gadgetzan packs because they are fun). And there's quite a bunch clutch cards in the classic sets! If you're dead set on not buying adventures with earthly lucre, spend your gold on card packs. And don't buy commons or rares if you can avoid it, you'll get them during your next month or so! That said, certain neutral rares are so much used that you might look into crafting them. I'm looking at you, Azure drake!

Korhedron on
    These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Grobian wrote: »
    Mage in Arena killed my Shifting Shade with a Forgotten Torch, which gave me the Roaring Torch for lethal.

Epic.

Wait... isn't Forgotten Torch banned from Arena?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    only in picking, it will still generate from cards that add spells to a players hand, or from discover a mage card.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »
    only in picking, it will still generate from cards that add spells to a players hand, or from discover a mage card.

Yeah, it was from Ehereal Conjurer.

Also that run ended 9:3 and the pack gave me Finja. Good results all around.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Start understanding the basic archetypes of decks and build towards some of those to understand how they play - over time you'll develop preferences around the type of deck to play. If you don't want to spend much money, stay away from Control decks as they're generally stuffed with legendaries. Low cost decks with easy replacements are things like zoo and aggro.
    Most importantly, have fun with it and don't take losses too hard - you'll lose a lot regardless just due to RNG and certain matchups. Focus on your own play and what you could have done differently, then work backward to determine the "tells" to help deciphering what's in someone's hand. For example, playing early against a warlock - if you clear early board and they don't drop anything as they build to 3 mana - they probably have hellfire, so don't build up the board.
    Learning marquee clear/removal spells will help you understand when to play certain things.
    Quick reference (others will add, I'm sure)
    Paladin - 4 mana consecration, 4 mana truesilver sword
    Warlock - 3 mana hellfire, 4 mana shadowflame
    Mage - 4 mana fireball, 4 mana polymorph, 7 mana flamestrike
    Druid - 4 mana swipe
    Priest - 5 mana holy nova, 10 mana mind control (though rare these days)
    Hunter - 3 mana unleash the hounds
    Rogue - 3 mana fan of knives, 2 mana 2/4 damage thing

Caveat - I'm bad at this game.

• Options
    mind control is only rare as in i never see it unless i'm running a non token deck.

As soon as i slot in a rag or what have you, there it is.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    I've seen some reno priests run Mindcontrol actually

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    @Shadowhope I would absolutely buy at least the first wing of every adventure available to you, starting with the oldest ones first so you don't miss out on the opportunity. The adventures unlock some really nice cards including some legendaries. Dollar for dollar (or gold for gold) you won't get a better deal on solid, usable cards anywhere else than the adventures.

If you buy the first wing of the adventure you have the option of buying the later wings even after the adventure goes out of Standard rotation, if you want to access the cards for Wild. If you don't, once they rotate out you can never buy the adventure again (the the cards from them become craftable, but thats a vastly bigger investment of resources).

Plus if you ever beat the adventure on hard mode you get special card backs.

Generally, level every class to 10 so you unlock the full basic set. You also score some gold for doing this, which you can invest as you see fit. Classic is probably the "best" use of gold, after the adventures, until you've built up a decent collection. There's good cards in both Old Gods and Gadgetzan, though, and those two expansions don't rotate out of standard for ~2 years, so dipping into those isn't a bad move at all, especially if you start just seeing tons of repeats out of classic packs.

I suggest dusting all the gold cards that you have two non-gold copies of. Getting dust to craft more normal cards is better than having fancy cards. If you have any gold common cards, they can be dusted for slightly more dust than it takes to craft their standard versions, so just dust and re-craft them immediately.

Make sure you do your quests every day. If you have a quest that looks like it'l suck to complete, you can delete one per day to get a different one. You should also delete 40 gold quests (remember just 1 per day) for a chance to get higher gold quests. The 7 victory quest is 100 gold, or you can get a free pack from the Spectate-A-Friend quest.

Make sure you do the tavern brawl every week, you get a free classic pack from it. It might suck really really bad if it's one where you have to build your own deck, but eventually you'll run into someone who has shit cards too, or someone who insta-conceeds or disconnects or something.

Cog on
  • Options

Kind of depends on your goals. But my suggestion is to start working towards a specific deck. ViciousSyndicate is a good place to find the standard archetypes. Any variation of Midrange Shaman is strong and pretty cheap, that's a good start. Other suggestions might be to start working toward a Miracle Rogue or Dragon Priest deck. Check some lists and start crafting what you need!

For packs? I'd just get classics until you have a good size classic collection (~100 packs maybe less) and then start on the newest expansion. Dust all golden cards that you have regular copies of and cards you don't need and make stuff you need for the deck you want to play.

Starting out now and not spending gold means you need to be pretty ruthless about disenchanting if you want to play a competitive deck. Adventures are fun, but the gold/cards ratio is worse than packs, also opening packs is more fun than saving for a week imho. Specially if you are just starting and have a limited pool.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    It's nice to hear someone like Kibler complain about pirate decks. Aggro is a problem, a big problem, right now.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    It's nice to hear someone like Kibler complain about pirate decks. Aggro is a problem, a big problem, right now.

Yeah, they're just too fast. The strategy for beating pirate decks should not need to be "have Reno and play him on curve."

• Options
    if i get my (non swipe) removals i love playing warrior.

alas this is only true about half the time.

My real issue atm is dragon/reno priest. If i dont get living roots and 2x mark of the lotus by turn 4 i'm usually dead.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I've also seen the pirate package show up in too many other decks, (miracle rogue and Dragon warrior).

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Kind of depends on your goals. But my suggestion is to start working towards a specific deck. ViciousSyndicate is a good place to find the standard archetypes. Any variation of Midrange Shaman is strong and pretty cheap, that's a good start. Other suggestions might be to start working toward a Miracle Rogue or Dragon Priest deck. Check some lists and start crafting what you need!

It's really unfortunate that Warlock Zoo is suffering so badly right now, because it was such a cheap and easy way to get started and be legitimately competitive for very minimal investment. Blizzard finally managed to kill zoo. The aggro decks out-pace and out-value it and the Kazakus/Reno decks are built for AoE removing threats and waiting until you run out of steam.
    For packs? I'd just get classics until you have a good size classic collection (~100 packs maybe less) and then start on the newest expansion. Dust all golden cards that you have regular copies of and cards you don't need and make stuff you need for the deck you want to play.

Starting out now and not spending gold means you need to be pretty ruthless about disenchanting if you want to play a competitive deck. Adventures are fun, but the gold/cards ratio is worse than packs, also opening packs is more fun than saving for a week imho. Specially if you are just starting and have a limited pool.

I'm just a bit leery about telling people to dust everything in pursuit of one deck. It'd feel bad to find out that deck is actually not very fun or good or you just don't enjoy it like you hoped, or you're actually a card or three from really making it work, but you dusted a lot of viable things to get there and now you're stuck. Now is when you should be experimenting and trying everything, in my opinion.

And yes you get less total cards for the gold with adventures, but you also get access to guaranteed rares/epics/legendaries for all classes. Packs are a crapshoot.

Cog on
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I've also seen the pirate package show up in too many other decks, (miracle rogue and Dragon warrior).

It shows up in druid, FFS.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think everyone can agree that aggro is good for the game: it keeps control decks honest and ensures diversity on ladder. But the pirate package and shit like Flamewreathed Faceless are just too strong and make aggro too hard to beat without specifically playing an anti-aggro deck, which is not how things should be.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    because the pirate package is so strong it makes sense to fit into basically every deck that has access to weapons. against aggro decks, having the strong early game can help keep you alive. against slow decks. you might just draw a strong aggro start against them having a poor hand and win off of that

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    If he doesn't want to spend money he makes what? 350 gold per week? That's more than two months for an adventure or 14 packs per month. That collection is going to be all over the place and super scrawny for years. I'd definately suggest going for a decent deck first. Then branching out. But sure, hang on to any viable epics and legendaries. I'd definately advise against spending that gold on the first wing of every adventure in case you want to play them later.

As I said depends on your goal. Climb ladder? Collect cards? Play single player?

If you enjoy arena, that's also a nice way of building your collection as you play IMO

djFindus on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    If he doesn't want to spend money he makes what? 350 gold per week? That's more than two months for an adventure or 14 packs per month. That collection is going to be all over the place and super scrawny for years. I'd definately suggest going for a decent deck first. Then branching out. But sure, hang on to any viable epics and legendaries. I'd definately advise against spending that gold on the first wing of every adventure in case you want to play them later.

It's too bad they didn't get in during the Whispers of the Old Gods expansion. I made a European free to play account and was able to make really decent C'thun decks with almost no packs. I play the Tavern brawl every week and buy packs when I can but I'm able to win low rank games since C'thun is so strong and can be put into any class pretty easily.

The secret is to find out what the best commons/rares are and craft those. The first things I crafter were:
    Loot Hoarder
    Acolyte of Pain
    Azure drake

Basically any card draw. Card draw is great and putting it in pretty much any deck will help out. After that you need to choose your class and work on the good commons (Wrath/Druid of the Claw/etc) and rares (Blizzard etc). After you've got those basics then, if you want to play standard which you probably do, you'll want to start on the good commons from WotOG and MSoG for the class you want to play.

Looking up budget decks is a great resource. I know Hearthpwn has lots of budget lists available as do many other websites. Use those to determine what packs you want to open and what cards to craft.

I know this forum is all doom and gloom about pirate warrior and the like but you can really put together some really good budget decks that will do surprisingly well. Just do your best to complete quests and always try and win one game of tavern brawl a week and you'll be off to a great start.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I never realized how annoying/good Reno Priest can be. Sometimes they have the answer for everything that comes their way.

And sometimes your starting hand is Entomb, Rags, and Justicar.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    what druid deck is running pirates?

I want to get in on that train

• Options
    Roz wrote: »
    what druid deck is running pirates?

I want to get in on that train

Egg

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I'd definately advise against spending that gold on the first wing of every adventure in case you want to play them later.

Sorry, I'm unclear on this bit. Reading up the thread, I was under the impression that if I bought the first wing of an adventure while available, I could go back later and buy the rest of it even after it rotated out, but if I never bought the first wing I would never be able to get the adventure after it rotated. Basically: I want to ensure that I have the option of playing an adventure at some point. So: I should buy the first wings of each of them, which would make certain that I could decide later?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'd definately advise against spending that gold on the first wing of every adventure in case you want to play them later.

Sorry, I'm unclear on this bit. Reading up the thread, I was under the impression that if I bought the first wing of an adventure while available, I could go back later and buy the rest of it even after it rotated out, but if I never bought the first wing I would never be able to get the adventure after it rotated. Basically: I want to ensure that I have the option of playing an adventure at some point. So: I should buy the first wings of each of them, which would make certain that I could decide later?

Sure, if you want to play them single player. Be sure to grab the first wings. But that is a shitload of gold spent and some, like League of Explorers rotate from standard in three months. So the cards from that adventure won't be useable in standard in april. So you basically threw alot of gold on cards that will be obsolete soon. If you're not spending real money I don't see how you could realistically ever keep up with new releases while also buying old adventure wings with only gold.

But if you like the single player aspect and want to play the adventures for the fun and not necessarily the cards. Then go for it!

djFindus on
  • Options
    If you spend 700 gold on packs, you'll probably get 40 dust per pack for 280 dust. If you spend 700 gold on wing 1 of League of Explorers, it rotates out of standard, and you dust everything it's 740 dust. The final wing is over 1000.

The Adventures are not bad investments.

• Options
    Average dust per pack is ~100 tho!

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    The dust value of a pack where you have none of the cards is minimum 260, and the average dust value of a pack is 100. Buy a wing of Karazhan and if you like it by all means buy more, but I wouldn't go back and get League of Explorers and Blackrock Depths unless you really wanna, or don't mind playing Wild (who knows, with two more sets in rotation it might grow a little this year).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Average dust per pack is ~100 tho!

.... which still makes the Adventures a generally better investment than just buying packs if you're looking at gold-to-dust, plus you know exactly which cards you're getting access to.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think everyone can agree that aggro is good for the game: it keeps control decks honest and ensures diversity on ladder. But the pirate package and shit like Flamewreathed Faceless are just too strong and make aggro too hard to beat without specifically playing an anti-aggro deck, which is not how things should be.

Historically speaking, Blizzard underestimate drawback mechanics. Things like "you need to play deathrattles to make Undertaker grow!" and "You'll need to have spellpower to make this weapon have 3 attack!" and "You'll need to have a weapon to play this flame imp!"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Historically speaking, Blizzard underestimate drawback mechanics. Things like "you need to play deathrattles to make Undertaker grow!" and "You'll need to have spellpower to make this weapon have 3 attack!" and "You'll need to have a weapon to play this flame imp!"

The risk vs reward is way off. It should be "if you don't meet this requirement this card is bad, but if you do, this card is good" - instead we get "if you don't meet this requirement this card would be unplayable, but if you do this card is actually crazy broken"

• Options

The risk vs reward is way off. It should be "if you don't meet this requirement this card is bad, but if you do, this card is good" - instead we get "if you don't meet this requirement this card would be unplayable, but if you do this card is actually crazy broken"

Or frequently "this card is just average or mildly underpowered if you don't hit the requirement, and absolutely game breaking if you do."

• Options

Or frequently "this card is just average or mildly underpowered if you don't hit the requirement, and absolutely game breaking if you do."

See: Almost every 1 drop with a statline above 1/1 and effect text.