As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The idea of what an immature little kid might do if he suddenly got god like powers wouldn't be a bad one to explore. Not like the original character, but in the DCverse, would it even be the worst example?

*insert President Trump joke here*

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The idea of what an immature little kid might do if he suddenly got god like powers wouldn't be a bad one to explore. Not like the original character, but in the DCverse, would it even be the worst example?

It's actually not a bad theme that could be included as part of his origin story. With great power comes great responsibility is a pretty standard and boring thread in the superhero story, Shazam could spice it up by having his benefactors be a bit of a bad influence.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    New 52 Shazam explored immature asshole Shazam. I did not love it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, one of Shazaam's things is that he also gets high-grade wisdom as part of the power set. So you could trick him like you could trick a little kid because he doesn't have experience, but he's automatically gonna know not to be a dick to people and not to do things like go on a big justice-murder spree.

He's basically even more of a boy scout than Superman, without having to grow up on a farm in Kansas.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Eh, one of Shazaam's things is that he also gets high-grade wisdom as part of the power set. So you could trick him like you could trick a little kid because he doesn't have experience, but he's automatically gonna know not to be a dick to people and not to do things like go on a big justice-murder spree.

He's basically even more of a boy scout than Superman, without having to grow up on a farm in Kansas.

Which would make him the absolute perfect foil to Murderverse Superman and Batman. (And of course the Timmverse used him to great effect as a foil for Superman when Luthor tricked him into being a dick.)

But that would require Snyder to be self-aware enough to self-criticize, which of course he isn't.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    JLU probably had the best adaptation of Captain Marvel. He was wise but still nieve. This is my favorite scene of his.

https://youtu.be/bqfNRrcFNVM

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    JLU probably had the best adaptation of Captain Marvel. He was wise but still nieve. This is my favorite scene of his.

https://youtu.be/bqfNRrcFNVM

Young Justice had a nice Captain Marvel, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZO5qgs4Px0

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

My favourite thing was Superman's weird jealousy of him.

"You should meet this guy. He's a boy scout."
    "I thought I was the boy scout."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I'm probably the last person under 60 to grow up reading Captain Marvel comics (my grandpa's secret comics stash) so I always love it when he shows up in stuff like JLU and whatnot.

I am dismayed to report that hearing the Shazam movie might be cancelled filled me with relief. We're at the point where I, a huge Captain Marvel fan, am happier hearing a movie isn't going to be made featuring my obscure comics hero. This sucks.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    In non-Batman news, Dolph Lundgren will be in Aquaman as King Nerus.

So that means Aquaman will have THREE villains in one movie if you include Ocean Master and Black Manta.

Hype levels falling to "this will be overstuffed and confusing."

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    In non-Batman news, Dolph Lundgren will be in Aquaman as King Nerus.

So that means Aquaman will have THREE villains in one movie if you include Ocean Master and Black Manta.

Dolph-in Lundgren

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I liked Shazam in Justice League War.

"Hey Blackheart the Deatheater or whatever your World of Warcraft name is, suck on this!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I like Zack Snyder's enthusiasm for murder!

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Wow Michael Shannon doesn't want to be there.

edit: baahahahah "the visual effects are minimal here" showing a color-graded to hell image of superman wrestling zod as eye lasers shoot all over the place, burning holes in the building.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Got drunk last night, watched Suicide Squad. I'd just be retreading old ground so suffice to say I really, really didn't like it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

"Hey Blackheart the Deatheater or whatever your World of Warcraft name is, suck on this!"

Shazam in the DC animated movies is basically Andy Dwyer.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Shazam in the DC animated movies is basically Andy Dwyer.

Nah, more in line with Sgt. Thunderfist, MD

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    glithert wrote: »
    Got drunk last night, watched Suicide Squad. I'd just be retreading old ground so suffice to say I really, really didn't like it.

Ouch, even being drunk couldn't save it!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Ouch, even being drunk couldn't save it!

This is Katana. She's got my clunky exposition.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

I think the most amazing part of that article is the comments; we are 4 years past this movie and there are still people going "naw man, you don't get it because you're stupid/a neckbeard/a marvel fan boy.

Because heres the thing that Zack and his legion of idiots don't get: the problem isn't with superman killing zod because lets be honest super villains wind up dead a lot in superhero movies. No, the problem is that superman didn't even bother to try and save anyone in the climax or minimilze the catastrophic harm that reigned down on the city since he was too busy trying to LARP DBZ so him killing zod (in conjunction with the incessant jesus imagery) just goes off like a wet fart.

Also: one commenter pointed out that the direction he snapped Zods neck in would have actually caused his heat vision to go right through the family that he was trying to protect so...

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

I think the most amazing part of that article is the comments; we are 4 years past this movie and there are still people going "naw man, you don't get it because you're stupid/a neckbeard/a marvel fan boy.

That contingent is going strong, partially fueled by Marvel's domination.

I'm fine with anyone who likes those movies, honestly I wish I could do the same as a DC fan. But that sub-group takes it to absurd levels, and have gone to extreme lengths verging on conspiracy theories RE: Disney paying off critics.

• Options

Because heres the thing that Zack and his legion of idiots don't get: the problem isn't with superman killing zod because lets be honest super villains wind up dead a lot in superhero movies. No, the problem is that superman didn't even bother to try and save anyone in the climax or minimilze the catastrophic harm that reigned down on the city since he was too busy trying to LARP DBZ so him killing zod (in conjunction with the incessant jesus imagery) just goes off like a wet fart.

Also: one commenter pointed out that the direction he snapped Zods neck in would have actually caused his heat vision to go right through the family that he was trying to protect so...

Plus the neck snapping is instantly followed by either the sole or the second lighthearted moment in the entire movie (depending on what you thought of Supes wrecking the redneck's truck). There's zero consequences or reflection.

• Options
    edited April 2017

Plus the neck snapping is instantly followed by either the sole or the second lighthearted moment in the entire movie (depending on what you thought of Supes wrecking the redneck's truck). There's zero consequences or reflection.

Not entirely, Superman screams out loud in a moment that's supposed to be deep sorrow and instead comes off as ridiculous. Then nobody ever speaks about Zod again.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Not entirely, Superman screams out loud in a moment that's supposed to be deep sorrow and instead comes off as ridiculous. Then nobody ever speaks about Zod again.

Until the second movie where he comes back as a cave troll with a serious pea nut allergy.

Honestly, it's kind of amazing how Zack manages to combine a skill with imagery and cinematography with the sort shoddy story telling and tone deaf writing that the most incompetent students at my Alma Mater Toronto Film School (a school so dirt poor the main campus literally doesn't have any branding visible from the street) would have been embarrassed to hand in for review to the faculty.

• Options
    Until the second movie where he comes back as a cave troll with a serious pea nut allergy.

Barely. Does Superman even know Doomsday was created from Zod? No one in that movie gives a detailed answer why they dislike Superman or their opinions on the aftermath from the Battle of Metropolis.
    Honestly, it's kind of amazing how Zack manages to combine a skill with imagery and cinematography with the sort shoddy story telling and tone deaf writing that the most incompetent students at my Alma Mater Toronto Film School (a school so dirt poor the main campus literally doesn't have any branding visible from the street) would have been embarrassed to hand in for review to the faculty.

Yup.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Superman was probably able to figure it out, who knows how much he knew about Kryptonian technology like the regeneration chamber, and the computer suggested that monsters such as Doomsday had been created before (and subsequently banned).

• Options
    It would have been better if it had been a resurrected Zod rather than Doomsday. It would have added some pathos to the fight with Zod taunting Superman about how he doomed his own race.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Superman was probably able to figure it out, who knows how much he knew about Kryptonian technology like the regeneration chamber, and the computer suggested that monsters such as Doomsday had been created before (and subsequently banned).

Unless it's on the screen it doesn't count. ;)

Has this Supes talked about Kryptonite tech before? All we've seen of him was his reaction to it (and even that wasn't really getting into his head about whether it was impressive or not) in MoS, most of which he ended up destroying.

edit: This is a big problem with this Superman, we've never really allowed into his headspace.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Watched Sucide Squad last night. There was some good, some bad, and lots of "eh".

I'll do a more in-depth write up later but yeah, it wasn't as bad as it was bland, which is a running theme in DC movies for me.

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Unless there was a scene where Russell Crowe gave a massive info dump, I'm betting that Superman knows roughly jack and squat about Kryptonian tech. Cavetroll's eye lasers and weakness to kryptonite are good clues though.

I love that the recipe to create a world destroying abomination is Kryptonian genes and some human blood, and that the command override to do this is roughly 'hold my beer'.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Did it strike anyone else as very... Awkward that Krypton was all about "the pure bloodlines" and then mixing kryptonian/not-kryptonian DNA made a violent, ugly monster for some reason

• Options
    Did it strike anyone else as very... Awkward that Krypton was all about "the pure bloodlines" and then mixing kryptonian/not-kryptonian DNA made a violent, ugly monster for some reason

If it'd actually been a good movie, I might have cared. Hell, a good movie might have made up some crap about it being due to a flaw in the Kryptonian genome and then they could have leveraged that to create tension with Clark and Lois. As it was, it was just another heap of stupid slathered on top of a big pile of stupid.

• Options
    That didn't even make any sense. How did Luthor know that mixing human blood with Kryptonian DNA would create a monster? In fact, was it Luthor's blood that turned Zod into Doomsday or was the resurrection process that did it or was it because the Kryptonian machinery was damaged? None of it makes sense.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Very little of BvS made sense. It was huge boring sections and stupid stuff with some really cool stuff thrown in here and there.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It would have been better if it had been a resurrected Zod rather than Doomsday. It would have added some pathos to the fight with Zod taunting Superman about how he doomed his own race.

And then the twist is that Superman was Doomsday all along.

But for, y'know, the Kryptionian race.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Very little of BvS made sense. It was huge boring sections and stupid stuff with some really cool stuff thrown in here and there.

But... Martha!

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Anyone see that comic where Lex is in jail and he shoots down Superman using something he made out of a bed spring, a cardboard tube and some string? It made some sort of gravitational vortex or whatever, if you're wondering.

I think Zack Snyder saw it and decided he didn't have to explain a damn thing either.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The real problem with man of steel isn't even Clark not saving people; that could perhaps be alright if there were more pathos behind it.

The problem with MoS is that it completely breaks the basic "show don't tell" axiom in character development; Clark mostly is either a lost boy or an outright jerk for most of the film, and the film only tries to convince us he's not when it becomes a narrative requirement. Like clarks happy to rage at zod, beat the shit out of him etc. right until the moment he kills him (for a very defensible reason, mind you), and suddenly it's a psyche-shattering tragedy? Cmon

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.