Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    If I stay awake till midnight it will be the hardest and stupidest thing I've ever done.

Also I nearly typed one, and I just realised I've spent all day thinking new years started at 1am, and I think this is emblematic of how damn tired I am.

Power nap?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh, fuck no. I'm jetlagged to shit. I need to get through till at least 8pm to stand a chance of being back somewhere in the vicinity of normal by Tuesday.

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    How did none of us ever think of this? This may be the best way to spend new years I've ever heard of:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/100275008/new-years-revellers-build-sandcastle-in-coromandel-estuary-to-avoid-liquor-ban

orthanc
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    My current resolution:

Also try not to completely lose my mind again. That would be nice.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    So, hey Kiwi folks and @Tef and such

if you're between the ages of 10-29 and living in NZ, please double check with your GP if you need to get a booster for your mumps vaccine.

There's near-epidemic levels of mumps cases going on in Auckland in particular, but all over the country as well. There's some belief that folks in that age range were either not fully vaccinated at all, or the vaccine that they had in infancy is not potent enough.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/morningreport/audio/2018627327/urge-for-vaccine-push-after-rapid-rise-of-mumps-in-auckland

You can confirm your immunity via a blood test.

Get them to check measles, mumps and rubella.

In Australia I'm same age range and my mumps and rubella were fine but I needed a measles shot to fix immunity.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    discrider wrote: »
    Flute solo in "Land down under" during ABC's new year countdown program :confused:

What have you got against flautists?

Nothing, but it sort of looked and sounded like even she wasn't expecting it.
    ... And I would have thought the flute would need at least some percussive accompiament.
    ... But perhaps something more than the vocalist enticing the crowd to clap two thirds the way through.

discrider on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    We should probably stop using that song to seemingly celebrate this place.
    "The chorus is really about the selling of Australia in many ways, the overdevelopment of the country. It was a song about the loss of spirit in that country. It's really about the plundering of the country by greedy people. It is ultimately about celebrating the country, but not in a nationalistic way and not in a flag-waving sense. It's really more than that."

Not that it's not appropriate, but.. yea. Pretty sure a lot of the meaning is lost on people nowadays.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Looks like I'll temporarily be moving to Newcastle in the near-ish future. Are there any PA peeps there?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Victorian people does anyone want to watch me put food into my mouth?

Vivienne and I will be in Melbourne from the 22nd to the 27th and I think we have the 25th dinner and the 23 and the 24th for lunch. Is anyone free / able to hangouts?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Also our place will supposedly have a view of the fireworks on Australia day so we could probably do a little party at our apartment then too.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Vivienne and I will be in Melbourne from the 22nd to the 27th and I think we have the 25th dinner and the 23 and the 24th for lunch. Is anyone free / able to hangouts?

We are! Is the 25th dinner when you're free or when you already have a dinner scheduled?

• Options
    We are free on the twenty fifth for dinner with you guys.

Oh and a question. On the Australia day we are thinking of going to see my aunt and uncle in Warragul which is about 100 km east of the city. The train ride it says is 2-3 hours, considering the cost of two sets of tickets there and back, is it cheaper / more time efficient to just hire a car and drive there or not?

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Warragul is only a little over an hour drive from the city, maybe 1.5 hours if you don't take the tollway and it's highways all the way.

• Options
    I'm not sure about cost efficiency (though the fares would be $25 offpeak or $35 peak each), but the train ride should also be about 1.5 hours each way from the city. If you have to do much travelling around Warragul, it'd defo be easier to drive, because regional buses aren't exactly an ideal mode of travel.

Also, 25th is excellent! Any food preferences?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hey Sydney-siders.

Y'all ok? Mom saw a thing that said you're temp got up to 47* today.

Stay safe!

• Options
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I'm not sure about cost efficiency (though the fares would be $25 offpeak or $35 peak each), but the train ride should also be about 1.5 hours each way from the city. If you have to do much travelling around Warragul, it'd defo be easier to drive, because regional buses aren't exactly an ideal mode of travel.

Google maps is telling us 2.5 hours, is there something it doesn't know)

I'm half tempted to say stomping grounds again because I really enjoyed it, but we don't have to go there.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I really liked stomping grounds, even though it was a bit noisy

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Hey Sydney-siders.

Stay safe!

Yeah apparently it was the hottest day ever in Sydney since records started.
    It was later clarified that it was only I guess the second highest temperature recorded, as the Bureau had misplaced the highest reading.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Hey Sydney-siders.

Stay safe!

Yeah apparently it was the hottest day ever in Sydney since records started.
    It was later clarified that it was only I guess the second highest temperature recorded, as the Bureau had misplaced the highest reading.

It probably burst into flames

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    we were pretty lucky near the coast as it barely cracked 40 around here, but i feel real bad for anyone living further out west

Lalabox on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Jeeez, that's still pretty brutal. Hope everyone, along with anyone's pet/s, was able to avoid it to some degree.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I'm about to start carrying tiny round take away containers on days thst are going to hit high 30s.

I saw too many tied up dogs left without water and it saddened me greatly.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

Yeah stomping grounds was good, but they kept on ramping up the noise throughout the night to the point where I couldn't really follow any conversations later on.

• Options

I'm half tempted to say stomping grounds again because I really enjoyed it, but we don't have to go there.

My aunt and uncle live there so they would pick us up at the train station so I think regional busses aren't really a worry.

So looking like I said at google maps, most of the travel times are 2.5 hours, but one or two are down to 2 hours, but I can't find something at 1.5 hours (which would be at least practical) and with tickets being 70 dollars with the pair of us, I think hiring a car for the day would be more practical.

(here is the Google Maps link if people want to check if I am melbourning correctly https://goo.gl/maps/cjYdtd5Pr742

• Options
    I'm about to start carrying tiny round take away containers on days thst are going to hit high 30s.

I saw too many tied up dogs left without water and it saddened me greatly.

This is dog dependant though, I know greyhounds shouldn't drink large amounts of water during or after exercise and it is difficult to know how much water they have already consumed.

• Options

There are bus replacements running alongside part of the line till 17 January, so that might be why it’s bumped the time out. I just checked the regular Gippsland line timetable and it should be 1.5 hours after the bus replacements wind up.

• Options
    Ok cool, I'll recheck it closer to the date and book accordingly then.

• Options

My aunt and uncle live there so they would pick us up at the train station so I think regional busses aren't really a worry.

So looking like I said at google maps, most of the travel times are 2.5 hours, but one or two are down to 2 hours, but I can't find something at 1.5 hours (which would be at least practical) and with tickets being 70 dollars with the pair of us, I think hiring a car for the day would be more practical.

(here is the Google Maps link if people want to check if I am melbourning correctly https://goo.gl/maps/cjYdtd5Pr742

You are Melbourning correctly! It looks like it is because of the bus replacements. Switching dates out to after the 17th ends up with 1.5 hour travel time. Looks like the trains run once an hour on the 26th if that factors into your decision?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yeah stomping grounds was good, but they kept on ramping up the noise throughout the night to the point where I couldn't really follow any conversations later on.

We left when we literally couldn't hear each other. I'm not gonna shout directly in someone's face to carry on a conversation.

• Options

I carried a dog home that night!

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular

@Blake T I'd also like to join you, but I have no idea of my availability yet. Probably wont know till the end of next week.

11776-1.png
  • Options
    Simon. We would like our 1 lift for our visit.

Please drive us to Waragul.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Australian humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Bbxq1O9v0

Slight language warning.

• Options
    Is there any where you guys would like to suggest for a location (for both lunches and dinner)

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    Simon. We would like our 1 lift for our visit.

Please drive us to Waragul.

And I'd like to still be on leave from work.

Not that, that would make me inclined to actually give that particular lift :P

To the nearest train station maybe ....

11776-1.png
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    The aircon is kaput at work

Halp.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Any sort of cuisine preferences, locations, price ranges?

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Australian humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Bbxq1O9v0

Slight language warning.

What the hell did I just watch?

• Options
    Any sort of cuisine preferences, locations, price ranges?

Not particularly I don't think, just affordable for people I guess.

I have created a doodle poll for availability for people too I guess.

23rd and the 24th are for Lunch only.

25th is for dinner.

@awko @sorc @cobalt60 @Apocalyptus @cyvros

https://doodle.com/poll/5t75uv57cgkd46cr

• Options
    Oh and I threw in an option for the evening of Australia Day.

This discussion has been closed.