As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They're using their secret scab names

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Platinum is the perfect company for Yoko Taro.

Build him up with the knowledge that their mechanics will make the game really fun to play and be very well reviewed on its combat, only to knock him down in the end with the revelation that the game is now branded with the Platinum Curse of doomed sales figures despite great reviews.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Oh yeah Yoko Taro's known for such stunning sales figures on his own

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I thought I implied that by saying he was built up by the addition of their excellent combat.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I think Bayonetta 2 sold over a million copies on the Wii U, a failed system. Sure it's not like the sales of a AAA game that sells 5 million+ copies just off the insane amount of marketing dollars spent, but for a niche game in a genre that really isn't for everybody, pretty good.

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Platinum is the perfect company for Yoko Taro.

Build him up with the knowledge that their mechanics will make the game really fun to play and be very well reviewed on its combat, only to knock him down in the end with the revelation that the game is now branded with the Platinum Curse of doomed sales figures despite great reviews.

Nier Automata did take the top spot in the Steam sales charts shortly after it released.

So it might end up doing fairly well for Square.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Yoko Taro, Kojima, Swery, Suda 51

the four reality lordz

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm still bitter that we never got some sweet sweet Junji Ito monsters because Silent Hills got canned.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Nier Automata ending B down
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I almost missed seeing the two hologram girls at the end of the Eve fight cause I got distracted by a phone call; glad I decided to glance back at the TV cause that was super fucking strange.

Starting route C now, but somehow I keep finishing this game right before I have to go in for work and oh my god I am not going to have a productive day at all

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Nier: Automata ending C, or rather immediately after ending C.
    I appreciate the new chapter select mechanic so I can finally do those missed sidequests. Am I correct in assuming ending D is obtained by choosing the android I didn't choose for C?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I GOT NIER ENDING K

I feel so accomplished!

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I GOT NIER ENDING K

I feel so accomplished!

I really really like Ending K.

• Options
    Just started Nier route C
    Pod 042 passive-aggressively trolling A2 is extremely good

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I feel like I should be playing Automata more, and I have been in spurts (early on in Path C now) but I keep getting distracted by Super Robot Wars V. I can't stop singing this game's praises.

The story in it is far better than any fanservice crossover game I've ever played. Not only do they find crazy but sensical ways to match up series and universes, giving characters new connections they didn't have before instead of just keeping the series characters completely separate.... the game is also faithful to each original series and characters but finds ways to make everything better. The game's story fixes multiple story flaws in various series' and gives characters that desperately need it a support group.

If you ever wanted to see what Cross Ange would be like without a terrible plot, or what Shinji would be like as a total fucking badass, for example, get this game. If you're a UC Gundam fan too, multiple UC series have a great showing here.

P.S. Certain units also have even more over-the-top combination attacks Chrono Trigger style where the animations (and damage) are even more glorious.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So I finished all the main endings of Nier about an hour ago.

My best friend called me on Skype, like, a few minutes after I was done 'cuz he wanted to get my thoughts on it while everything was still raw. I kinda just...word-vomited a five-paragraph literary analysis onto his lap. Very stream-of-consciousness. I'm gonna sleep on it and try and get my thoughts a little more in order so I'll be significantly more coherent when I post my final thoughts here.

Overall, non-spoilery impressions: while the narrative and world-building ended up being fairly disappointing, it has what I'd argue is the strongest and most emotionally resonant thesis out of all the Yoko Taro games.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    @Stilts I'd like to read this when you write it. And when I've finished all the endings.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The PlayStation 4 version uses a “Free Movement Battle” system where you can freely move the character and viewpoint. There is also an “Auto Camera Battle” system in which you can enjoy immersive battles.

I guess that's technically "information". Doesn't really... tell me much though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The PlayStation 4 version uses a “Free Movement Battle” system where you can freely move the character and viewpoint. There is also an “Auto Camera Battle” system in which you can enjoy immersive battles.

I guess that's technically "information". Doesn't really... tell me much though.

Well it tells a kind of big thing, that you can move in combat but still use a battle menu. That gives a decent picture into the general possibilities. Not just standing there lined up. Maybe either there's movement phase added or you can just run around for positions in between choosing menu options sorta Ni No Kuni style.

• Options

Well it tells a kind of big thing, that you can move in combat but still use a battle menu. That gives a decent picture into the general possibilities. Not just standing there lined up. Maybe either there's movement phase added or you can just run around for positions in between choosing menu options sorta Ni No Kuni style.

abort abort cancel pre-order

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    If I had to guess, it will look more dynamic and change the actual mechanics of battling in no significant way?

But maybe Dragon Quest is changing

I dunno how I'd feel about that

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    See the fact that we have to speculate on what it indicates is my point though. It doesn't actually tell us what the battle system will be like.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    See the fact that we have to speculate on what it indicates is my point though. It doesn't actually tell us what the battle system will be like.

it sounds really similar to what Compile Heart has been grinding into the ground for about 5 years.

• Options

Oh yeh. I agree there. It's a mystery! But that's the perfect thing to post and make discussion of.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The Trails games are on sale on PSN.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm very near the end of NieR: Automata now, and I thought I'd just install my next game while I got dinner. I put the disk for Atlier Firris in, having a rekindled interest in JRPGs and wanting something breezier this time, and it immediately launched the game. No install time, no patch updates... just started playing immediately.

WTF is this witchcraft?!

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

I'm working my way through cold steel 2.

If 3 is gonna be PS4 only, I guess no transferring of save data from 2 then.

• Options

Oh yeh. I agree there. It's a mystery! But that's the perfect thing to post and make discussion of.

I just need confirmation that it's not going to be TOO MUCH of a departure from the usual Dragon Quest system. In an era when nearly all major RPGs are going the action route, I need to know Dragon Quest still has my back.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Cold Steel 3 is going to be PS4 only?

... shit.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Cold Steel 3 is going to be PS4 only?

... shit.

Yep.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    They really just need to put every Cold Steel game on PC; would have resolved all their concerns about releasing new games for old consoles. The chances are slim, I supposed.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Buy Trails in the Sky and Sky SC so maybe we'll have a +.0000000001 chance of getting Zero and Ao.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

They're working on a way.

It'll probably be a cloud-save like thing. Similar to how Vita <--> PS3/PS4 save transfers work for cross-play, but a one-way thing where it reads key flags/etc. from the data.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

I just need confirmation that it's not going to be TOO MUCH of a departure from the usual Dragon Quest system. In an era when nearly all major RPGs are going the action route, I need to know Dragon Quest still has my back.

Well at the very least it is using the traditional menu! So that most LIKELY means something if you have to choose attack from a standard menu.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Nier Route C, early
    Holy shit the "opening" credits kicking in at the end of the bunker escape gave me chills.

This game is fucking amazing.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Nier:

Got to the save point atop the Lost Shrine. Gonna go through the Shadowlord's Castle tomorrow, get Ending A, then try to power through B. On C I'll pause to do sidequests for weapons and weapon money, planning to clear C and D next weekend.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options

They're working on a way.

It'll probably be a cloud-save like thing. Similar to how Vita <--> PS3/PS4 save transfers work for cross-play, but a one-way thing where it reads key flags/etc. from the data.

I made a different PSN profile and name for my PS4 so I'm probably screwed on it then.

This discussion has been closed.