As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    5% employee discount baby

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Well,
    http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/18/nintendo-on-switch-availability-battery-life-leaks-and-the-3dss-future/
    And as for voice chat, it sounds like that functionality will only be in the smart phone app, not something that is actually going to be part of the Switch system itself.

“Right,” Young said. “That’s what we’ve been discussing, is that this app will allow you [to use] the voice chat.”

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    He'll actually end up buying the Wii U version because his Switch preorder ends up getting canceled.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Jumping back in here for just a moment. This isn't related to the current discussion, but I'd just like to request that people not use the reaction buttons on my older posts in this thread, especially those around the time of last week's announcement video. I regret quite a bit of what I was saying and my attitude in general around that time, and seeing those posts in my feed feels bad. That's all. Carry on.

• Options
    It really REALLY bothers me that the VC is "wait and see".

They have over a decade of (admittedly poor) VC experience! This is not rocket science or even controller design!

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I do hope someone makes a third party "NES" Joy-Con that replaces the left button diamond and the right stick with d-pads. Proper control for VC games in both handheld and 2-player modes.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAu113idcs#t=2m30s

It's qued to the time where Reggie confirms that games are now tied to account and not the system.

If the time thing doesn't work it's 2:30 in.
    "I've played them both...I'll buy it on Nintendo Switch"

D-does the president of Nintendo of America really have to buy Nintendo games

As someone who previously worked at NoA? I believe it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I imagine that the president of NoA probably makes enough to where $60 here and there really doesn't make a bit of difference for him.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I do hope someone makes a third party "NES" Joy-Con that replaces the left button diamond and the right stick with d-pads. Proper control for VC games in both handheld and 2-player modes.

I agree except I'm not gonna hold my breath.

• Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    I pre-ordered from Target. Got the confirmation email and everything, but it hasn't come out of my checking account yet. Should I be worried, or do they draft the money once it ships?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    PacMan1979 wrote: »
    I pre-ordered from Target. Got the confirmation email and everything, but it hasn't come out of my checking account yet. Should I be worried, or do they draft the money once it ships?

pre-orders, generally, will never charge until they are shipping the thing to you. This way if there are problems, or they are over subscribed on their pre-orders, they don't charge people for products they can't deliver.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I took the time to dig because I'd rather do this than work, here's the quote:
    Nintendo’s online service for Switch will charge a monthly fee and one of the incentives is one free classic game “per month.” Does that mean you lose access to that game after a month?
    Reggie Fils-Aime: Correct. It means that essentially you’ve got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there’s a new selection. You’ll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we’ve moved on to another game.

Paging @Raybies666 so he gets the word.

The people complaining about this will probably be the same people to get back on the 'nintendo is god' when they announce the first free game is mother 3.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, man, I missed the new Splatoon 2 bits on the Tumblr.

Charge weapons got a upgrade, where if you charge them and submerge, it'll hold the charge for a short time so you can instantly unleash it when you come up.

There's a new subweapon called the Curling Bomb. (No, I'm not kidding.) It's like a seeker, without the seeker, but pinballs off walls it hits until it hits a enemy or the duration runs out.

The super with the rockets doesn't have a name, but when you use it you target up to four enemies, and each enemy gets four homing rockets sent at their location.

The super with the giant red backpack is the Sting Ray, and shoots a ray of pressurized ink that goes a super long distance and through walls, but is very hard to turn once you've started it. (Guessing this might be a Killer Wail replacement.)

The jetpack one is the Inkjet, which lets you hover in the air, and gives you a weapon that shoots ink blobs at things.

The superhero ground pound one is the Splashdown, and can be triggered mid-Super Jump to impact where you land. Could be handy if you're coming in hot into a battle.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Nintendo, hurry up and confirm account game transfers so I can sell my Wii U.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Nintendo, hurry up and confirm account game transfers so I can sell my Wii U.

I don't think there is going to be any chance of the Switch running Wii U native software, if that is a thing you would be keeping your Wii U around for.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    We could compare it to PC too; that would be equally fair. The thing is not as powerful as a PS4/xbox. It is a tablet. It fits in a purse and is powered by a battery. It makes way more sense to compare this thing to an android tablet or an ipad. Find a game with those kind of visuals on one of the app stores, and then play it with touch controls...

Nah. Nintendo is marketing this as a home console first and foremost with a home console price tag. The comparison is fair and Nintendo has invited it themselves

• Options
    Yeah much like the upgrade from PS3 to PS4... There's no guarantees that the software will move over quietly.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Jumping back in here for just a moment. This isn't related to the current discussion, but I'd just like to request that people not use the reaction buttons on my older posts in this thread, especially those around the time of last week's announcement video. I regret quite a bit of what I was saying and my attitude in general around that time, and seeing those posts in my feed feels bad. That's all. Carry on.

@enlong don't worry about it man. There are a lot of people with far worse attitudes. I always think you make pretty good and thoughtful posts and you're not afraid to call out bad behavior when you see it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I should probably give up all hope of finding a Breath of the Wild Special/Master edition to pre-order at this point, huh?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Since the doom and gloom has lowered a bit can I talk about what I'm excited about? This idea that Nintendo can now focus on one platform rather than splitting between console and handheld. Games like Link Between Worlds and Skyward Sword will be able to coexist on the same platform so we don't have to buy the handheld device as well as the home console device. The game drought we suffered for a long time on the WiiU will be lessened because of this idea that this console does both. If you took the first party games that released on the WiiU and 3DS and put them all playable on the same device: That device would be amazing. And here we finally have it.

I know Nintendo keeps saying that this isn't the replacement for the 3DS but we know it's the case. They just don't want to sabotage their sales between now and the Switch release.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    PacMan1979 wrote: »

pre-orders, generally, will never charge until they are shipping the thing to you. This way if there are problems, or they are over subscribed on their pre-orders, they don't charge people for products they can't deliver.

I pre-ordered at Target Friday morning and they immediately charged my account. I canceled it an hour later when Amazon got more pre-orders up and it took Target till this morning to clear the pending withdraw from my checking account.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Since the doom and gloom has lowered a bit can I talk about what I'm excited about? This idea that Nintendo can now focus on one platform rather than splitting between console and handheld. Games like Link Between Worlds and Skyward Sword will be able to coexist on the same platform so we don't have to buy the handheld device as well as the home console device. The game drought we suffered for a long time on the WiiU will be lessened because of this idea that this console does both. If you took the first party games that released on the WiiU and 3DS and put them all playable on the same device: That device would be amazing. And here we finally have it.

I know Nintendo keeps saying that this isn't the replacement for the 3DS but we know it's the case. They just don't want to sabotage their sales between now and the Switch release.

I'd be excited about that if I thought that's what will happen

Instead, I just think we'll be getting fewer games

I could be wrong though!

I really want the 3ds OoT and MM remasters on the Switch!

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    We could compare it to PC too; that would be equally fair. The thing is not as powerful as a PS4/xbox. It is a tablet. It fits in a purse and is powered by a battery. It makes way more sense to compare this thing to an android tablet or an ipad. Find a game with those kind of visuals on one of the app stores, and then play it with touch controls...

Nah. Nintendo is marketing this as a home console first and foremost with a home console price tag. The comparison is fair and Nintendo has invited it themselves

sure, it's a fair comparison, but it's not just a home console, so of course it's never going to win apples to apples just on graphics. personally, it looks fine enough to me, if i was to buy DQ heroes I'd buy it on the switch for the portability. someone else might prefer the shinies, but being able to play lying in bed, or on the train, or what have you is worth it to me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

The Link Between Worlds mention makes me sad on two counts; it's one of the best examples of a game leveraging the 3DS' much maligned 3D tech fantastically, and the second screen design. Neither of which we'll get out of the Switch, obviously.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options

Yeah, I know people are saying it looks like there's kind of a drought here in the first year, but Wii U and 3DS are still wrapping up. There's still stuff coming down the pipe getting finished up. Poochy Wooly World, Mario Sports Superstars, Pikmin 3DS that nobody wants. Even wrap up on Wii U Breath of the Wild, I'm sure. This even applies to recently released games...for example we probably won't see what the Color Splash team is doing next for a while. So this prospect of integrated development can remain exciting until proven otherwise. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

The Link Between Worlds mention makes me sad on two counts; it's one of the best examples of a game leveraging the 3DS' much maligned 3D tech fantastically, and the second screen design. Neither of which we'll get out of the Switch, obviously.

Oh sure, but I firmly believe that Nintendo can still pump out a game like Link Between Worlds even without the 2nd screen or 3D tech.

I will really, really miss having a second screen for Zelda games though. Being able to switch items on the fly was great.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I should probably give up all hope of finding a Breath of the Wild Special/Master edition to pre-order at this point, huh?

I wouldn't give up on Special Edition, but Master Edition, yes. 100%.

Some stores may have stock at launch but I assume numbers will be tight (for Master Edition). You may be able to find Special Edition at launch if it doesn't show back up for pre-order tho

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Oh sure, but I firmly believe that Nintendo can still pump out a game like Link Between Worlds even without the 2nd screen or 3D tech.

I will really, really miss having a second screen for Zelda games though. Being able to switch items on the fly was great.

Touch screen inventory was alright, but Skyward Sword's item switching was the best. Switching between items with a press n' flick was so fast and easy, I didn't even mind only having one "item" button.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'd be excited about that if I thought that's what will happen

Instead, I just think we'll be getting fewer games

I could be wrong though!

I really want the 3ds OoT and MM remasters on the Switch!

It is important to remember that 3DS games are cheaper to produce with a shorter dev time. Instead of 3DS + Wii U = 200% the number of games, you might see one game for every two the 3DS would've otherwise gotten, just due to the difference in development.

Then again, you might see more games like Snipperclips which are clearly lower budget but look amazing all the same.

At the absolute least, one thing you don't have to worry about anymore is Nintendo or other devs taking the time and resources to make both Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U...Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends...Yoshi's Wooly World and Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World...Mario Maker and Mario Maker 3DS...NES Remix for both platforms, etc.

I'm excited to see games that would've previously been 3DS only, now released in full HD. One of my favorite Game Cube games was Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, and I missed it so much, and then the 3DS game came out and it was good and I liked it, but the next one is sure to be HD and awesome and all that!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    That reminds me, I keep forgetting to mention.

Snipperclips was originally going to be a similar but different indie game from SFB Games, but the Nintendo scooped up the rights. SFB is still involved though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I'm still a little surprised at the internet kerfuffle about the console price. My Xbox One was €300 sure, but it took close to 3 years to hit that price from €500.

On launch day, a new console being €320 is not some slap in the face, and the expectation that it should be cheaper than said 3 year old Xbox on release day just raises my eyebrow.

I see the point on the peripherals, but controller prices have been scandalous for a few years now and I'm still not going to buy a second Xbox controller either at the current price (which has also dropped since launch). That's just the way it is now unfortunately.

The back and forth about paying an online fee seems odd too. We don't know what it will be like or cost yet, and us early adopters will get a free taste and then we'll have a better idea. Expecting Games with Gold right out of the gate seems like a crazy thing to expect, there's few games yet and we should get one or more free forever a month? How would this ever happen? I doubt it'll be two bucks a month but good servers cost money, so they have to charge, and I say that as someone who has had zero issues playing Mario Kart or Splatoon online.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be paying for a inferior service if it's a similar price to Xbox gold, but can the internet not just chill a little until more details are forthcoming?

Spoiler: no, have you ever been on the internet before?

Whether it's fair or not to compare the Switch's launch price with the current price of the PS4 and XB1, this thing isn't launching in a vacuum. There are two other consoles on the market, with lower price points in many markets, with large libraries they've built over several years. There was also more certainty about the amount of software support those systems would get over their lifespans.
    I'll also say this; The Switch is launching for the same price the PS4 launched for here in Canada. Like, the same dollar figure.

I'm excited about the Switch, and will probably buy one some time this year. I also think the price of it (at least in some markets), and the price of its controllers, is a bit steep for what it is. I think it looks great, but there are still some questions up in the air (long term lineup, long term viability, certain features, etc) that may well be answered before launch, but which make the price seem a little higher than it should be for some people.
    It's fine if you don't think it's too expensive. That's valid. It's also not unreasonable though for other people to have different opinions on value.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm definitely gonna miss the second screen for RPGs.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I don't get the assumption that since this is a "console" that Nintendo is going to go all in with only full-fledged $60 "console" games. I still expect to see mid-tier games that play more like what you'd expect from a handheld around the $40 price point, and plenty of small indie-style releases that we've already seen from them on both WiiU and 3DS.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »

Touch screen inventory was alright, but Skyward Sword's item switching was the best. Switching between items with a press n' flick was so fast and easy, I didn't even mind only having one "item" button.

Haha you know... I completely forgot about that. It's been a long time since I've played through SS.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

I remember waaay long ago mocking the dual screen design when they first unveiled the DS.

Now I can't picture myself living without it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    maybe they can keep some of the ideas from the 3ds with a sort of splitscreen mode. like the left side is the game and the right side is touch control stuff

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

I remember waaay long ago mocking the dual screen design when they first unveiled the DS.

Now I can't picture myself living without it.

Yeah that's one of the things I will miss most. Many games ultimately utilized it pretty well, I think. Maps, inventory, just moving UI off the main screen to keep it clean.

Plus I like clamshell keeping the buttons and screens safe.
    Jars wrote: »
    maybe they can keep some of the ideas from the 3ds with a sort of splitscreen mode. like the left side is the game and the right side is touch control stuff

Man I just don't see it. I think the dream is dead.

nk9mzpf.png

The advantage of dual screens was that one screen didn't have to look like a gameplay screen, they could fill it with all kinds of shit, load it up with buttons and UI stuff and the other screen got to be gorgeous gameplay. The same idea doesn't work well crammed onto one screen.

Like picture Pokemon XY where all the little faces of friends and passerby are sitting onscreen somewhere, blocking your view of whatever.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The advantage of dual screens was that one screen didn't have to look like a gameplay screen, they could fill it with all kinds of shit, load it up with buttons and UI stuff and the other screen got to be gorgeous gameplay.
    Some of my favorite games are ones where the screen that doesn't look like gameplay is the gameplay.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I could imagine some slick ways to integrate all that stuff on the left screen into, like, a slider bar on the left and right edge of the screen.

But at that point, you may as well just have a separate, dedicated inventory screen available at the touch of a button, so

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I forgot that the Fire Emblem direct is starting up here in a few minutes.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.